• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What will Hero Society's status be after this arc?

• Hero Society is damaged, but remains standing for the most part

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • Hero Society is destroyed, forcing a major change in the status quo

Votes: 46 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think that Todoroki calling Bakugo a friend is just a more silly way to show that he never had friends before going to UA so for him even that kind of relationship is friendly
Also now that I am talking about this Todoroki's socialization problems kind of reminds me of Komi san's

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I think that Todoroki calling Bakugo a friend is just a more silly way to show that he never had friends before going to UA so for him even that kind of relationship is friendly
Also now that I am talking about this Todoroki's socialization problems kind of reminds me of Komi san's

Ah, so that AV is supposed to be Najimi.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Anyone else really like Mirio and Deku's relationship with Eri? It's so precious that they're showing her happiness. Maybe it hits more for me cuz I have a little sister but both of their relationships with her are among my favorite in series

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Dabi has the same eyes, ears, and eyebrows as the brother
Same spiky hair as young endeavour
Can't handle his quirk just like Toya
Flames hotter than endeavour since its Blue
JUST LIKE TOYA
Anyone else really like Mirio and Deku's relationship with Eri? It's so precious that they're showing her happiness. Maybe it hits more for me cuz I have a little sister but both of their relationships with her are among my favorite in series
There isn't anyone that doesn't like eri and her relationship to the boys

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I like it
images

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like if he was Touya he'd have just said Shouto. Using Todoroki Shouto is the kind of framing that makes me think he resents the family write large, not just the individual members of it, which would be weird if he, uh, was one. Though I'm expecting him to claim to be Touya at some point, we'll see.

My money's still on him being Endeavor's illegitimate son. Cheated on his wife at some point, never knew about Dabi, most likely. Dabi grows up first idolizing Endeavor, who his mom told him about, then resenting him/everyone after something traumatic happened and he wasn't saved. Maybe he even burned himself by accident trying to emulate Endeavor, that'd do it.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I feel like if he was Touya he'd have just said Shouto. Using Todoroki Shouto is the kind of framing that makes me think he resents the family write large, not just the individual members of it, which would be weird if he, uh, was one. Though I'm expecting him to claim to be Touya at some point, we'll see.

My money's still on him being Endeavor's illegitimate son. Cheated on his wife at some point, never knew about Dabi, most likely. Dabi grows up first idolizing Endeavor, who his mom told him about, then resenting him/everyone after something traumatic happened and he wasn't saved. Maybe he even burned himself by accident trying to emulate Endeavor, that'd do it.

For all the shit people give endevour I'm not sure he the cheating type of dude. And If he was we would have heard about it because he isn't the type to not bring it up now that he is in redemption mode. I'm going on some crazed fanboy who has a hard on for the family and may be responsible for the death of his first son and got the first sons powers from killing him.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
None of the theories of Dabi not being Toya have convinced me. It's taking an extra step to ultimately get to the same result(hatred against Enji and Shoto) and I think it makes it too convoluted.

Him simply being the estranged eldest son is already a good enough hook, I don't think adding layers to it just because it's been somewhat telegraphed would be a good move from Hori.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Dabi being Toya is set up way too much honestly. And he said the last name honestly to not give himself away. If he just said Shoto, it'd be way too obvious. He said his identity will be revealed when it's needed, which shows its importance. Why would he give Toya so much focus and have clues to him being Dabi just to throw us off?

And holy crap, his reveal will be shocking for everyone. How could Rei react that her son is a murderer and a famous villain? Society will be so thrown off

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Saying he's his illegitimate son instead of Touya just sounds unnecessary tbh

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018

Why would he cheat on Rei? the whole reason he forced her to marry him was for her quirk.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Why would he cheat on Rei? the whole reason he forced her to marry him was for her quirk.
That's why he'd cheat on her. Arranged marriages (even (or especially) ones arranged by the dude) are pretty awful for a lot of reasons, one of which is that they tend to lead to a lot of cheating. I'm not suggesting that he was out there trying to further his eugenics program, but when you're the kind of person who views your wife as property (and he certainly seemed to) you're not going to hesitate to venture afield, so to speak.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like every theory that involves Dabi not being Touya is just makes things more convoluted completely unnecessary, what's being set up is Dabi being Touya, going for an unexpected twist wouldn't make the drama any better and it would just come up as subversion for the sake of subversion

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
How do you think the Yakuza arc would have gone down if Bakugo and Todoroki were in it?

Also, wonder why Horikoshi draws these two quite a bit

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017
I think it stems from the interaction the two had when they were in the bus heading to USJ for rescue training. Asui straight up called Bakugou out in front of everybody.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017

i don't think it's weird. if he is touya he clearly abandoned the family. i think you are overanalyzing his use of 'Todoroki'.
How do you think the Yakuza arc would have gone down if Bakugo and Todoroki were in it?

Also, wonder why Horikoshi draws these two quite a bit

this is a blessed image

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I actually think overhaul did what he was supposed to do
Surely more effective than AFO that works well as background threat but didn't do much when appeared in the spotlight

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
I'm glad that Horikoshi broke his trend of giving villains face covering of some kind. Overhaul was limited in the way he could emote because of that big beak.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I think he has a cool power, looks cool and I like his demeanor and I think the fact that he's an utter sociopath fits him as a villain. Probably the most despicable villain in the series.
However, I think his fusion thing is a bit much

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Image Scans are out and seems like things are heating up

Call it a hunch but i doubt it's just mummy guy, i think the fact they used Natsuo's kidnapping as a destraction to kidnap Fuyumi and later Rei by the mastermind of this whole operation, Dabi......

Last edited:
OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
All this Dabi/Toya stuff got me thinking and I noticed something regarding Todoroki eyes. Is it a stretch? Possibly. Do I think I'm onto something? Kinda...? I'd like to think so. Horikoshi is quite particular with his character designs at times, after all.

Let's start with Shoto: Narrow eyes with curved corners. Even during intense moments his eyes remain pretty narrow. Consistent.

EJVgYG0UcAYALgS
EJVgYG1U0AAELfX
EJVgYG5U4AAXPkW

Enji has similar narrow eyes but with sharp corners. In design, edges are often used to denote something more dangerous or unfriendly, which fits Endeavor's character. This stays true whatever the situation.

EJVgYrmUwAAvfiU
EJVgYrxUEAQBsjd
EJVgYrqUcAYjsYk

Conversely, there's Rei. She has larger, less narrow eyes. They're much more curved all over. Round or curved shapes are used for comfortable or approachable stuff.

EJVgZQEU8AAo6wc
EJVgZP4VUAAOKB3
EJVgZP5U0AADNyB

Side note: The curve vs. edge thing comes from an evolutionary thing, as a professor of mine once explained. Sharp or edged objects are pointy and can hurt us (blades, a desk's corner, etc.) while round objects (pillows, sofas, etc.) are soft and can offer comfort or protection.

Natsuo, as seen above and below, has larger eyes like Rei's while also having some edges. Generally, they're wider compared to Shoto and Enji's no matter his expression.

EJVgZ2bUYAEr0V1
EJVgZ2cVUAMt47D

Fuyumi's eyes are the ones most similar to Rei's. Whether she's got a neutral, happy, or sad expression, they're wide, curved eyes without any edges.

EJVgaQwUYAE5PQt
EJVgaQ0VUAIW4ku
EJVgaQ0UEAAoTiF

So where does that bring us? Endeavor has sharp, edged, narrow eyes. Rei has wide, curved eyes. Shoto is a mix of both, appropriately. Fuyumi's are identical to her mothers and Natsuo is a mix of both but mostly leans towards Rei's eyes. We all know they inherited their parents' traits, the most visible one being their hair color and "shape." It's true for the eyes as well. I didn't notice the shapes before and all I focused on back then were the colors, with Rei's being grey and Enji's being turquoise. Perhaps the eyes are also somewhat indicative of their personalities? I mean, Shoto is rude and can be an arrogant ass like Endeavor, but he's also incredibly soft and kind like his mother! Fuyumi is all soft. Natsuo is nice and friendly but can be intense and scary too.

IN CONCLUSION: TOYA TODOROKI IS DABI. He has Rei's soft eyes and "weak constitution" (resulting in the body/quirk mismatch with his more-powerful-than-Enji's-quirk quirk) and is generally a chill person. Yet he also has a much more intense, dangerous, and arrogant side like Enji!

EJVgbWSU0AAb2bd
EJVgbWWU4AIzyfa

TL;DR: I believe Horikoshi purposely designed the eyes of the Todoroki family members to show how they're like or unlike each parent. Eyes like Fuyumi's which are very similar to Rei's mean their personality is more like hers while narrower eyes like Enji's mean personality traits more like him. Shoto's eyes are a mix of both and so are Toya who is definitely Dabi.

---

Forgot to reply to some comics talk from last week. My bad.
Oh, I have been reading the new Buffy and Angel comics too. Good stuff
I just bought the first volume the other day! I really liked the FCBD preview I read and I've been interested in Buffy for a while now. Sadly have no way of watching it as far as I know... so I'll settle for this comic! Dan Mora's art is gorgeous and I was so happy to find out he's doing the art here.
Thanks! (for the info and avatar compliment) I figured something like that was happening. Also Magik is my 2nd favorite X-Woman after Queen Emma. ❤
Emma! ❤ She's probably my second or third-favorite female X-Men character. It's between her and Kitty, which is why Marauders is such a dream book for me. Helps too that Duggan's writing it and that Iceman is there. Really, there's so much for me to love in that book.
Oh shit, you lucky son of a gun! Artgerm hype! X-Force was good. Started off slow and mysterious but it ended with a bang! They are diving into some of the questions we all had about the new status quo

Ah, a Quentin fan! As far as I know I don't think he showed up in issue #1, but I could be mistaken
You know what makes me even luckier? I've met Artgerm a few times now. 😉 I have multiple prints of his, haha. I've been lucky enough to go to local cons that he's gone to, plus this workshop thing he and his peers held once.

X-Force sounds good, I like that. Shame Quentin didn't show... but yeah, I'm a Quentin fan! He's easily among my top five favorite X-Men. Jason Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men is one of my favorite X-Men books (and the one I spent most time with, I guess?) and that's where I met the character. Love him there so much. Gonna read the West Coast Avengers (the recent one) books one day just for him. Well, him and Hawkeye and Stefano Caselli's gorgeous art.

Rawky

Oct 26, 2017
when I read the gist of the leaks earlier, a thought entered my mind that, if this villain was really covered up on bandages (aka a "mummy") and he was targeting Endeavor's family, then maybe this was somebody that Endeavor had encountered before that was looking for revenge.
After coming across some of the text, I'm 100% sure of it. My Japanese is very basic, but text that clearly came from the villain read something like "Don't make the same mistake this time. Please kill me." I think that not only is Endeavor going to me forced to make a tough decision here, but we might see a case of when Endeavor went too far in the past.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
I think this one of those times where literally nobody predicted the next chapter lmao

chapter should be out soon

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.