• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have two cats. One I have had for 6 years and the other I got a couple months ago and is still under 5 months old.

Last night she caught a grasshopper on the patio and was growling when I tried to get her to drop it. I didn't really think much of it and got rid of the bug.

I guess that did not satisfy her thirst for blood.

I just woke up to find my fish of 1 year on the rug in a completely different room dead. The cat also ripped out all the natural plants in the tank.

I had to wake my gf up to tell her so she wasn't confused when she got up and the fish was gone. Pretty upset with my kitten right now.

Last edited:

Dufus

Nov 15, 2017
you invite a deadly predator in your own home and you're upset to find it's a ruthless killing machine? be upset with yourself

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Don't take your anger out on the animal, it does not know any better. It does not deserve any form of punishment for this. Take this as a lesson to protect your fish properly, and you will see this will not happen again. I am sorry for your loss regardless.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The kitten did nothing wrong. Being mad at the kitten is dumb. The kitten did exactly what it was supposed to do. It's up to you to keep fish covered and protected from cats. Cats are supposed to hunt.

None of this is the kittens fault, the death is 100% on you for not taking proper precautions to keep the fish tank protected.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
It's normal to be upset that your fish is dead. You cared for him for a year.

That said you cannot blame the cat. Your kitten is doing normal cat behavior. Like other mentioned, you will have to kitty-proof your aquarium if you want another fish. Be careful not to let him bat at the aquarium by not having furniture around where he can be next to it. The frequent batting on the aquarium can get the silicone get loose and make the aquarium leak.

Last edited:

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
So how do cats do it? Do they go into the tank? Or paw at the water from outside the tank until they get lucky and hit a fish.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Please don't be angry at the kitten. Cats are hunters, it's just what they do. Especially at young age, these little things are just bursting with energy. It's your task to give them an environment where they can spend their energy and to protect other living beings (or things in general) sufficiently from their attacks.

JMeth

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
My cat use to try to scoop my turtles out of their tank, that ended when one had enough of the cat's nonsense and grabbed its paw and tried to drag it under.

Occam

Oct 25, 2017
So you are upset because your cat isn't vegan and does what is in its nature?

Oct 27, 2017
A cat is a natural predator. They are supposed to hunt shit by design so I wouldn't blame it.

Next time be sure to take care of the fish tank so that the cat can't reach it.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
Dude, its still young, when it gets fixed it should chill, but for now, kittens gonna do what kittens do

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I have two cats. One I have had for 6 years and the other I got a couple months ago and is still under 5 months old.

Last night she caught a grasshopper on the patio and was growling when I tried to get her to drop it. I didn't really think much of it and got rid of the bug.

I guess that did not satisfy her thirst for blood.

I just woke up to find my fish of 1 year on the rug in a completely different room dead. The cat also ripped out all the natural plants in the tank.

I had to wake my gf up to tell her so she was confused when she got up and the fish was gone. Pretty upset with my kitten right now.
You should be upset that you and your g/f didn't protect the fish, and not be upset that the cat was being a cat.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
The cat should probably be put to sleep for it's crimes. Not permanently, just let it get some rest. Seems like yesterday was a busy day of hunting.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a picture of the kitten available? The world gotta know about this terror.
dqtABni.jpg

dkKO5MU.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
People suggesting to harm or kill the cat are fucking sick. Animal cruelty is wrong and illegal in most countries

Last edited:

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Only thing you can do now: Buy a bigger Aquarium, buy this and make the cat your new fish. Its a good lesson for the cat and makes sense from a practical standpoint.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
My parrot tried to eat my terrapin and she got bit lol

Maybe you should keep terrapins instead