neoak

Oct 25, 2017

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe ask John Linneman on twitter? I know he has a CX. Have you tried loading a 480p game to see if you get a picture (you may have to boot it blind)?

I'd personally go the OSSC route for the flexibility it provides.

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The OSSC works really great on my C9, accepts tons of weird ass resolutions. I believe the CX is the same on this front but not sure. Have not ever had a problem with 480i through it.

I think getting a Retrotink 2x Pro is probably the way to go though, just very simple to use and looks great, and supports composite as well as component so you don't have to go out and buy new cables for your consoles immediately.

kenta

Oct 25, 2017
If you can wait, citrus3000psi is working on a native HDMI output mod for the PS2 which I expect will beat the pants off of any of the cables/boxes currently available

(He just released the PS1 version a few months ago and has posted pictures of a working prototype of the PS2 mod. Crossing my fingers for availability in 2021)

OP
OP
KalBalboa

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Maybe ask John Linneman on twitter? I know he has a CX. Have you tried loading a 480p game to see if you get a picture (you may have to boot it blind)?

I'd personally go the OSSC route for the flexibility it provides.

You're going to laugh, but I just DMd the My Life In Gaming Guys.

We were in touch earlier this year before GDC; we were both going to screen documentaries before COVID kicked in.

As for 480p, I've tried forcing it via GSM, then swapping the PS2s output cables from composite to component, but I can try Burnout 3 now and see? I think Burnout 3 will boot into 480p, but I'm not positive.

OP
OP
KalBalboa

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
If you can wait, citrus3000psi is working on a native HDMI output mod for the PS2 which I expect will beat the pants off of any of the cables/boxes currently available

(He just released the PS1 version a few months ago and has posted pictures of a working prototype of the PS2 mod. Crossing my fingers for availability in 2021)

Ugh, why do you have to post such sensible things.

First off: thank you both for weighing in. This has been bugging me all day.

Second: I plan on doing 50/50 PS1/PS2, and I originally was going to buy a BC PS3 until I realized how they just aren't future-proofed at this stage (oddly enough, the PS2 seems fine?). Money isn't really an issue, so I'm leaning OSSC.

The most confusing thing to me is that I can manually force different resolutions out of my PS2 via GSM, and they all worked fine on other TV sets. The LG CX doesn't even get sound.

If you're mostly/only playing PS2 games and ALSO happen to have good soldering skills, the GBS Control is currently the best for 480i content.

Problem is, you'd need to buy all the parts and assemble it. It's not difficult, just a little more trouble than just buying an OSSC.

Otherwise, yeah, just buy an OSSC - it's awesome and pretty affordable these days.

Oh, and the OSSC Pro might be out in the next year or two and will likely handle 480i content well, but it will be significantly more expensive. Just thought I'd drop that in there.

I'm personally averse to internal motherboard mods - if your console dies, it's a lot easier to just buy another PS2 and hook it up to an upscaler than have to take out an internal mod and reinstall it.

boredandlazy

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

Isn't that only for the PS2 slim? They're not support the fat model as far as I remember.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
OSSC is great if you have old retro consoles. I've personally have used it with the og Xbox and PS2. The results are pretty good, the pass through is great if you simply want the original signal from the consoles. It has line double modes as well, and depending if your TV supports the resolutions, then you will be able to do 2x 4x and 5x. It has support for component and RGB scart.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Speaking of the OSSC, I remember you had to buy it directly from the person making the kits. I actually have the original DVI out version. I wouldn't mind upgrading to the HDMI one for easier sound out.

Looking on eBay, it seems everyone is selling OSSC units now? I saw one shipping from China for $120 shipped. Are these legit OSSC machines?

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of the OSSC, I remember you had to buy it directly from the person making the kits. I actually have the original DVI out version. I wouldn't mind upgrading to the HDMI one for easier sound out.

Looking on eBay, it seems everyone is selling OSSC units now? I saw one shipping from China for $120 shipped. Are these legit OSSC machines?
It's an open source project, so technically they're all legit.

As to the quality, I can't really say, as the one I have is from VGP.

kenta

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that only for the PS2 slim? They're not support the fat model as far as I remember.
Someone replied to the tweet I linked asking if it would work on the slim, and his response was that it was working on the slim before it was working on the fat. So it sounds like it should work on both

OP
OP
KalBalboa

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Woke up and bought the RetroTINK 2X Pro Multiformat for $119.

I was very tempted to get the OSSC, but I assume the OSSC Pro will hit in 2021, and when it does I'll upgrade from the RetroTINK if it wows me, then give my RetroTINK to a buddy.

Thanks everybody for the advice; I was thinking about this all Sunday and I'm glad to have it off my mind.

Mamoniadas

Oct 25, 2017
Woke up and bought the RetroTINK 2X Pro Multiformat for $119.

I was very tempted to get the OSSC, but I assume the OSSC Pro will hit in 2021, and when it does I'll upgrade from the RetroTINK if it wows me, then give my RetroTINK to a buddy.

Thanks everybody for the advice; I was thinking about this all Sunday and I'm glad to have it off my mind.
necromancy but would you mind giving an update?

OP
OP
KalBalboa

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
necromancy but would you mind giving an update?

I've used it a few times with my PS2 and it certainly looks... Ok!

I probably expected too much from it, but the line doubling looks softer than I anticipated. I personally use the pass-through mode most of the time, but I still like having the doubling option.

I've played a good amount of Simpsons Hit and Run & Burnout 3, and both look MUCH better this way versus the cheap HDMI adapter I was using previously.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
-snip, didn't realize this thread was necro'd-
Glad to hear the retrotink work for you! =]

Mamoniadas

Oct 25, 2017
Good to know! with the retro tink 5x in the works i was wondering how the device worked with your tv. thank.