• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
EQG - Spring Breakdown
  • Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
    Finally managed to watch the entirety of Spring Breakdown. (Don't know why you would upload a super quality version of the episode on a service that kicks you out when you've downloaded too much) There's some really fun moments, but they're almost entirely condensed into the 2nd half of the special and the first half is pretty insufferable. This is easily the worst showing from human Rainbow, and all of the other storylines might not be as bad as Rainbow's but they're all generally uninteresting or not funny. The 2nd half is more fun, but even that part has a lot of problems. I know it's a cartoon but it's really annoying to me that both SciTwi and Applejack know how to fix the yacht but the crew that actually runs the boat has no idea. The time in Equestria is fun until the characters go "oh wait there's an actual plot going on we should deal with that" and it's abruptly cut short. Pony Twilight freaks out about how the storm is really bad but doesn't go to Dougworld to make sure it's actually taken care of? And it's kind of disappointing that the pony versions of the EQG characters are basically identical to their pony counterparts. SciTwi is just Unicorn Twilight with glasses on, and Rainbow is literally identical. Similarly to Forgotten Friendship it feels like the big concept that people were really interested in seeing is only there for a short portion of the running time and doesn't come close to reaching its potential. I don't want to come off sounding too negative because once the special got going it was pretty enjoyable, but it's pretty disappointing and easily my least-favorite special so far.

The Beginning of the End
  • DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
    Oct 25, 2017
    I actually enjoyed that. They finally figured out how to use Celestia and Luna in a supporting role, rather than just damsels in distress.

EQG - Spring Breakdown part 1
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    Strider_Blaze , FYI, it looks like Hasbro is uploading their EQG shorts on this channel now. It has not just the English version of "Spring Breakdown part 1", but also the foreign language versions. And several videos that were on the Hasbro channel are no longer there, but now in this new channel, like FOMO.

All I know from the EQD thread about the episode is that the Storm King comes back from the dead to terrorize North Texas.
    medium.png

(source)

There was a weather warning during the big livestreams, which were sourced from Texas, and it happened right when Silverstream was talking, apparently.
    2011062.jpeg

I'll save other art for tomorrow, but here's a tweet that Nicole Dubac, the episode's writer, retweeted.

Peyton [Fear & Loathing in Care-A-Lot]
    ‏ @ASliceofComics
    13h13 hours ago

Oh, hey this whole episode was an allegory about fans coming to terms with the show ending with an inspiring song about how nothing ever truly ends as it lives on in our hearts & memories. Well played @NicoleDubuc @TheBiggestJim well played! #MLPSeason9

Nicole Dubuc
    ‏Verified account @NicoleDubuc
    Replying to @ASliceofComics @TheBiggestJim

<3 <3 <3

9:03 AM - 13 Apr 2019

I actually didn't make this connection, despite Sciz 's post.

EQG - Spring Breakdown part 2; July comic solicitations
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

Part 2 is up

And July comic solicitations!

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #80
    Sam Maggs (w) • Kate Sherron (a & CVR A) • Sara Richard (CVR B) • Justina Babinska (1:10 RI CVR)
    STL122196.jpg

Get ready to roll a natural 20 as Pinkie Pie and the rest of your favorite ponies gear up for a live-action role playing game for the ages! With elaborate costumes, captured princes, and one of Pinkie's famous pies on the line, you can bet things are going to get crazy! Gear up for a fantastic adventure with your favorite ponies!

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

My Little Pony: Spirit of the Forest #3 (of 3)
    Ted Anderson (w) • Brenda Hickey (a & CVR A) • Tony Fleecs (CVR B) • Kate Sherron (1:10 RI CVR)
    STL122199.jpg

The Cutie Mark Crusaders take to the woods to find the mythical Spirit of the Forest in a last-ditch effort to get Filthy Rich to change his scheming ways! Will our favorite fillies find the elusive guardian? Or will somepony else get through to the greedy miser first? Find out in this conclusion to the Cutie Mark Crusaders' latest mini-series!

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Looks like Spirit of the Forest is about Filthy Rich polluting the Everfree Forest. So in the end, it doesn't look worth checking out for anything but cute art. I want to know what, if anything, replaces this.

The normal issue seems fun, more or less doing what people wanted from the ending of "Dungeons & Discord". Pinkie is creepy on that cover.

Twilight's Seven
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    Twilight's Seven
    Twilight and Shining armor never having had a single fight, as stated in "BBBFF", was always weird. I figured this competition would be a way around that, but I didn't expect them to straight up reframe the things we saw in that song, haha.

That was a really fun episode. I'm especially happy they addressed Spike as Twilight and Shining's sibling.

Not much else to say, really. I expect a lot of fan art from this, especially with the addition of Joker to Smash (and the Gun meme) leading to a lot of Spy Fluttershy and Spike art.

Here's a thread from Big Jim explaining what every VA suggested.

Big Jim
    ‏ @TheBiggestJim

For those who've watched today's #MLP200 episode, here's a little thread about what each VA wanted their characters to do.
    9:28 AM - 20 Apr 2019

Big Jim
    @TheBiggestJim
    4h4 hours ago

While there were a lot of amazing and hilarious ideas bandied about on the day we all met to break the story, here's what we all settled on...

Big Jim
    ‏ @TheBiggestJim
    4h4 hours ago

@StTabitha proposed the concept of Rarity organizing a heist of some kind. That became the backbone of the story.

Big Jim
    ‏ @TheBiggestJim
    4h4 hours ago

@AndreaLibman always wanted Pinkie to go to space, and for Fluttershy to have a bad ass spy moment.

Big Jim
    ‏ @TheBiggestJim
    4h4 hours ago

@ash_leigh_ball wanted to see Rainbow Dash interact with @ryanbeil as Zephyr again, and for AJ to have a secret past we'd never heard about before.

Big Jim
    ‏ @TheBiggestJim
    4h4 hours ago

@CathyWeseluck had always wanted to see more done with Spike's familial relationship with Twilight as a sibling.

Big Jim
    ‏ @TheBiggestJim
    4h4 hours ago

And @tarastrong wrapped it all up suggesting the long standing rivalry between Twilight and Shining Armor.

Big Jim
    ‏ @TheBiggestJim
    4h4 hours ago

Then @NicoleDubuc and @joshhaber went and did a really masterful job winding all these ideas in to a coherent script full of all sorts of little extra bits and jokes that came up in the initial story breaking meeting. I can't understate how impressed we were...

Big Jim
    ‏ @TheBiggestJim
    4h4 hours ago

...with their first draft. The fact that they made it all work and make sense was incredibly impressive

Big Jim
    ‏ @TheBiggestJim
    4h4 hours ago

Then our design teams kicked it up a notch with the various styles of the wish sequences, the new looks for characters (70's Dolly Parton AJ, Zephyr's ill fitting royal guard armor, RD's glam dress).

Big Jim
    ‏ @TheBiggestJim
    4h4 hours ago

@kayleachard, @OhJeeToriG and Anna Latzer brought such a fun and imaginative vibe, and came with a host of ways and ideas to push the visuals at the boarding stage. You can thank Kaylea for those star wipes!

Big Jim
    ‏ @TheBiggestJim
    4h4 hours ago

@steph_mahoney and her layout crew continued to push the poses and expressions, elevating the whole thing.

Big Jim
    ‏ @TheBiggestJim
    4h4 hours ago

The animation team delivered some exceptional work. We were so impressed with what was coming in.

Big Jim
    ‏ @TheBiggestJim
    4h4 hours ago

Ben Galewitz and Jacintha Caldwell did some great stuff with the AFX. All the wish sequences when the girls are pitching their heist ideas have different looks/film grain effects thanks to Ben and Jacintha.

Big Jim
    ‏ @TheBiggestJim
    4h4 hours ago

The boys at Dick and Rogers, and @Wm_K_Anderson did some truly inspired work with the audio and score. They made the whole package come together.

Big Jim
    ‏ @TheBiggestJim
    4h4 hours ago

The end result is the episode you just watched! It's a true testament to the power of the teamwork that's brought 200 episodes to life so far!

Big Jim
    ‏ @TheBiggestJim
    4h4 hours ago

And finally, the most important piece, is you the viewers/fans. We could never have even conceived of making it to over 200 episodes without all of you who've been with us on this journey. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

The Point of No Return
  • Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
    New episode was fun. Despite Twilight freaking out the whole time, it was actually a more laid-back episode. Quite a few standout moments in terms of humor as well. I don't think it's quite on the level of Barrow's best work (That is still undeniably Dance Magic for me) but I would say that it's easily her second best episode, although that is largely because her output has been less then stellar so far. I've always been very insistent that Berrow was a good writer that could write great stuff, so I'm glad that her final episode helps validate that. Other then that I don't think there's a whole lot to say, it was a fun but not especially remarkable episode.

EQG - Spring Breakdown part 3
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    Note for those that didn't check the Hangouts thread, there will NOT be a stream today, since everyone who would run it is busy.

Didn't post this earlier

The My Little Pony Official channel is also uploading Korean videos now, which I don't remember them doing before.

If you Google search for "Equestria Girls episodes", then the Google results show upcoming short descriptions.
    2024526.png

Looking forward to the songs. Is that first title supposed to be a reference to "I'm on a Boat"?

There are multiple shorts related to festivals. Does that mean this is all we're getting for the musical festival in that choose your own adventure book, or will there be a separate special for that story?

This episode had some nice Twilight pictures.
    Family picture
    thumb.jpeg

Looks like giraffe necks run in the family. Also, continuity error with cutie mark-free Twilight while Spike exists.

Library card, portrait
    small.png
    small.png

Kind of surprised they had two different pictures, but gotta include the awkward library card. Also, if you're wondering, no the portrait wasn't there in "Amending Fences".

Not too much fan art yet, but I love this comic.
    Scroll In a Box by EMositeCC on DeviantArt
    large.png

Comic - Friendship is Magic #77
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    Friendship is Magic #77
    Much of this issue was pretty good, but it was frustrating once again spending a bunch of time on one group only for them to fall to Cosmos before they even realize she's a thing.

Discord's flashbacks solidify what I assumed last issue: it's being retconned that Discord wasn't actually that bad a thousand years ago, and he was only considered a menace because he took the blame for Cosmos's actions. Again, while I'm not opposed to the idea, I think the story went too far with this and it takes a lot of the meaning out of Fluttershy turning him good and the events of "Twilight's Kingdom" if Discord was always just a nuisance.

alternate_universes_poster.png

Despite that, the visuals during the flashback are great, and I enjoy the framing story of Discord describing this to a mutated (cute, but still mutated) Fluttershy, who then puts her hoof down and tells him to go stop Cosmos.

only_pony.png

The sequence of Cadance, Rainbow, Rarity, and Spike talking about eating gems was fun, but again, it's disappointing that this just led to Cosmos taking over Cadance before they realized anything was happening. I did like Cosmos being infected by Zecora's rhyming, though.

The art is as fantastic as always, and there were good scenes, but I'm disappointed by some of the story choices.

cosmos_restored.png

Silver Quill's review is more critical, pointing out the repetition from previous parts and the waste of Cadance. He also points out things I missed: Cosmos is a straight up alien that came from the stars, and the ladybugs are stated to be the residents of Canterlot post-transformation. He theorizes that the characters Cosmos took control of will fight back in the final part later this month, but I assume Discord will just find the courage to face Cosmos and then one-shot her, as these things tend to go.

~~~

Meredith Salenger, Patton Oswalt's wife, reveals the names of her and their daughter's characters.

Meredith Salenger
    ‏Verified account @MeredthSalenger

Meredith Salenger Retweeted Patton Oswalt

We had the best time voicing #MyLittlePony as a family. And I am truly blown away by how talented Alice is! You have to watch just to see her kill it. The emotion! So real. So good. Bravo little #windsprint Pegasus. I loved playing her Unicorn mom #ClearSky. It's a great story!

It's been a while since we've had a parent and child of different races in the show. Also, a unicorn named Clear Sky is unusual.

EQG - Spring Breakdown part 4
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    There's a 2 minute clip that has been released for tomorrow's episode, Common Ground. It looks like it's pretty early in the episode and is largely just setting stuff up so it's not super remarkable IMO. It's embedded on a weird website so I'll just link the page you can find it on:

https://vault.mle.party/videos/watch/b0a875e1-ccd1-4671-9a71-14470d5e5eb0
    The source USA Today article has spoilers for the episode's ending, BTW, but it has some interesting details.

I forgot it took this long to get to Ponyland.

Here's an interesting video about the end of MLP and specifically the effect the show has had on DHX. Incredibly, there's zero mention of bronies! Always a plus. It's nice to hear how things were changed on the production side for once.

Tomorrow's new episode is
    6. Common Ground - May 4, 2019
    Rainbow Dash's old pal Quibble Pants needs help to bond with the daughter of his new special friend because, like Dash, she's a real sports pony.

Common Ground
  • Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
    IDK, there's something about all the background info that made the episode really weird to me and hard to evaluate as its own separate thing. Like the fact that it was literally Patton basically playing himself trying to get along with his actual daughter-in-law with is actual wife just made things really hard to take at face value. The resolution felt super quick as well, with the daughter going from hating Quibble to getting along with him almost instantly. Honestly that whole storyline I didn't really enjoy very much, mainly because of all the awkward attempts at Quibble to be sporty. Some of the side stuff was fun though, like all the stuff with Snips, Fluttershy, and Pinkie. I wish that Fluttershy in particular had played a more active role in the story, rather then just being a sports star.I don't think it was a terrible episode or anything but I couldn't really get into it.

EQG - I'm On A Yacht; EQG - Run to Break Free
  • Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
    Correction, that's Patton Oswalt's biological daughter, and his wife is her stepmom, so the situation in the episode is reversed.

I just knew that it had some sort of parallel to Patton's life, I guess that makes things a little less weird. Even still I think the episode is fairly unremarkable and unmemorable. A little more time to think about it has only really reinforced that.

I was thinking throughout this episode about how Oswalt mentioned in interviews that his daughter has already grown past MLP, so she's probably really embarrassed by it, so that definitely did play a big part in how I viewed the episode.

At least according to the presser stuff I read for it, she apparently was pretty into the acting at the time despite being not a big fan of the show anymore at that point, so I think she might have just seen the role as an opportunity to get some voice acting practice if she decides to do that sort of thing down the road.

There was some new EQG song shorts released on the Discovery Go app, so they're out in the wild now. First was "I'm on a Yacht," which was not an extremely dated parody of "I'm on a boat" as I was hoping for and is instead basically the most vapid and "with the times" thing that's been in EQG so far. (Which is saying something) Some of the visuals are amazing, but they're in service to perhaps the worst G4 MLP song ever.

Secondly was "Run to Break Free," which also has some solid lighting effects (like all the rainbows) but it's kind of ruined by EQG's horrible walking and running animations. It's hard to take the inspirational and empowering video seriously when Rainbow looked so goofy running around. And the actual song isn't very good either. The team writing this song is actually different from the first one, but it's still not very good.

She's All Yak
  • Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
    The new episode was one of the better ones this season (aside from the opener I don't think the selection has been great so far) but unfortunately I feel like the episode being centered around my two least-favorite students brought it down a bit for me. I've never been a big fan of Yona or yaks in general, they always felt like the same joke being told over and over: They're loud, proud, and break everything. Yona has a bit more to her then that, but not a lot and not enough for me to really like her all that much. Sandbar isn't really annoying to me, the bigger problem is that he's got very little distinctive qualities when compared to the rest of the group who all are very distinct. This was a big opportunity for them to really help establish Sandbar as his own interesting character, but that's definitely not what happened here. He's not horrible or anything, but he's still pretty uninteresting and doesn't really stand out.

The other big problem with the episode was the premise itself. I feel like we've already seen this premise 2 or 3 times through MLP so far, did we really need another one?

Getting all the bad stuff out of the way first because once you get past those things I think the episode is pretty fun, and probably the best episode of them trying to tackle this trope. The stuff that stuck with me most was all of the interactions with other characters besides Sandbar and Yona. One of the big complaints I had about the previous episode was that I felt like it was fairly unmemorable and that there wasn't very many good gifs or screenshots to remember the episode by, but this one I think had quite a few. Aside from Yona and Sandbar I'm still a very big fan of the students so it's always fun to see them hanging out. As a whole this episode felt like it had a bit more effort put into it from a technical side, there were a couple new expressions and while the song was a bit basic in terms of visuals I thought it was alright. Overall I found the episode to be pretty engaging and fun to watch through the runtime, which was more then I could say for some of the episodes this season.

EQG - Camping Must-Haves; EQG - Festival Filters
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    Really makes you wonder about other temp scores. We know that Gamer Sunset short had Yoshi's Island music.

Some episode GIFs
    1.Dancing pones
    2.Silverstream face
    3.Shipping star
    4.Dancing Angel
    5.Silverstream eyebrows
    thumb.gif

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

And a great edit
    small.png

We got two more EQG shorts on the Discovery Go app. "Camping Must-Haves" is a pretty standard sequence of Applejack acting as the straight man to Rarity's extravagant camping suggestions, but it's pretty peak Rarity. She even mentions body pillows (without any prints >_>)
    thumb.gif

The second short, "Festival Filters", is pretty fun, with everyone looking through different photo filters. Including this.
    small.png

SMH at G3 SciTwi pony having a ponytail but not G4. BTW, it's interesting that the G3 gag in "Too Many Pinkie Pies" didn't have a disgusted reaction in the actual episode (just the commercial), but there was one in the actual short this time.

Frenemies
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    Just got word in that none of the Discord regulars are particularly interested in posting in this thread anymore (since everyone who would post is already on Discord), so yeah, I guess it'll just be me
    449815308899844096.png

Frenemies
    This episode was a lot of fun. One good thing about villain-focused episodes in general is that we get to see them just act like jerks without having to learn a lesson about it.

Cozy really is what makes this villain team up work. Tirek and Chrysalis would normally act too similar to each other, but how they act compared to Cozy helps separate them a lot. Plus she's just a fun visual contrast to them.

The song was fun, especially with them fighting over whose song it is.

For being the queen of the changelings, Chrysalis has done oddly little transforming throughout the series, to the point where some theorized she was worse at transforming than Thorax and the like. She really made up for that here. Plus her scaring away that shadow monster was great.

Hey, ox snake things! And nice to see some love draining after so long.

Nice bonding over their hatred of Twilight. And I liked them pulling back from actually becoming friends at the last moment, acting like friendship is an infectious disease.

I wonder what will come of them hiding Grogar's bell from him. At this point it seems clear that Chrysalis, Cozy, and Tirek will make a face turn in the last episodes, but it's hard to tell what Grogar will do.

EQG - How to Backstage
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    First of all, we have a new Equestria Girls short on the Discovery Go app, "How to Backstage". With all these festival themed shorts, I wonder if we are going to get an animated version of that Starswirl Do-Over book. I don't think we've ever gotten new clothes like this without some longer special. Anyway, this short was alright, though once again we get an odd character quality for Sunset that doesn't quite gel with her previous characteristics, with her being super upbeat about the weird parts of her backstage tour and showing more appreciation for the backstage crew than the actual singers.

The missing Nutshell video is here and it's pretty great.

Sprinkle Shrinkle

And Patton Oswalt talks more about "Common Ground"; nothing new, but there are some good jokes.

So this post pointed out something interesting: the log Chrysalis is talking to during the start of the episode is specifically the Evil Twilight Sparkle log from "The Mean 6".
    v0UIwZr_BCXXOSlWoOf0iEBsey3oje3GTIaH7tsaryo

qxWrJ4-sDL9e4TgRPvQQ09ImagdTIDEj_CkGve0l0zI

You know, it could be neat if Evil Twilight and maybe the others ended up joining the Grogar Gang. Plus others have pointed out there are shipping implications with this.

And just a bit of the fan art.
    1.She's touching me!! by pinkiespresent
    2.This is not the real me! by pinkiespresent
    3.Grogar by jowybean - Thought that was a cop car at first
    4.Discord service by jowybean
    5.Twilight imitation by jowybean
    6.Villain song by jowybean
    small.png

small.png

small.jpeg

small.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

Equestria Girls ending; Comic - August 2019 solicitations
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    No Equestria Girls short today, it seems.

Bunch of news. First of all, it seemed like there could be a chance for Equestria Girls to continue after FiM, since it wasn't included in any of the news about FiM ending, but it looks like they will indeed be ending together.

K.Hadley
    ‏ @isitlunchyet_t

Today is my last day on MLP: Equestria Girls. I'll be writing up my thoughts later today/tonight because it's going to take some time to distill the last 6 years of my life into some sort of coherent statement . Aaaand because I have to do work to do on my new gig.
    10:01 AM - 24 May 2019

K.Hadley
    ‏ @isitlunchyet_t
    Replying to @christi77073535

Ishi and I are the directors, not the writers. Ishi is moving to a new project as well. DHX Media the studio we work for is done producing EG for Hasbro as of today.
    10:24 AM - 24 May 2019

K.Hadley
    ‏ @isitlunchyet_t
    Replying to @Toon4Thought @christi77073535

I have no idea if Hasbro is ending EG outright. But our (DHX's) time producing the show for them is over. They could be continuing the series or not. I simply don't have any information about that. My time on it is done.
    10:40 AM - 24 May 2019

K.Hadley
    ‏ @isitlunchyet_t

Have to clarify. I don't know what's in store for the future of EG. Hasbro has not made mention if the season we produced is the last one or not. It could be, or it could not be. The only thing I know for certain is that DHX's time making the show for Hasbro has come to an end.
    10:43 AM - 24 May 2019

It could be picked up by Boulder Media.

And August 2019 comic solicitations

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #81
    Thom Zahler (w & 1:10 RI CVR) • Nicoletta Baldari (a & CVR A) • Sara Richard (CVR B)
    STL125636.jpg

It's Foals and Friends Weekend at the Wonderbolts Academy, but after an accident during practice, Rumble finds himself grounded. Good thing General Dauntless is there with a story or two to tell! Including one about the only earth pony who has ever been a member of the Wonderbolts...

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet Point

• We head back to the past in this brand-new Pony adventure!

My Little Pony: Feats of Friendship #1 (of 3)
    Ian Flynn (w) • Tony Fleecs (a & CVR A) • JustaSuta (CVR B) • Katie O'Neill (1:10 RI CVR)
    STL125994.jpg

Come one, come all, to the School of Friendship's very first sporting event-the Feats of Friendship! As Sandbar, Smolder, Gallus, Ocellus, Yona, and Silverstream prepare for the new competition, they realize they're going to need one more pony to round out their team. Enter Swift Foot, a mysterious new exchange student! But will she help strengthen the Young Six's bonds of friendship-or just drive them apart? Jealousy threatens our favorite youngsters in this brand-new miniseries!

Bullet Point
    • Ian Flynn (Sonic the Hedgehog) makes his My Little Pony debut!

That first story looks pretty fun.
    I actually haven't read any of Ian Flynn's Sonic stories, but I liked his Mega Man stuff. Nice to see a Student Six miniseries. With a mysterious transfer student
    eyes_1f440.png

EQG - I'm On A Yacht (YouTube)
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    And I pour one out for the Dazzlings never making a proper appearance outside their one cameo in FiM. It's kind of unusual none of EQG's antagonists have never made any reappearances while the ones featured prominently in FiM did.
    Yeah, the Dazzlings never appearing again is still super weird to me. They're still getting tons and tons of fan art. And excuse me, we did in fact have one recurring villain.
    thumb.gif

>_>

The lack of recurring villains makes sense when you think about how EQG is made. Shorts are too, well, short to use any of the existing villains. The movies and specials are all to advertise particular playsets, which may not be suitable for a previous villain to appear. That's why they just reform everyone after Rainbow Rocks; they're probably kicking themselves for not reforming the Dazzlings and thus being able to have them show up randomly.

Speaking of which, need to continue the latest special. Only went up to the part when Sunset and friends ended up transporting to Equestria.

You're getting to the good part! Hmm, come to think of it, that's where I stopped posting the videos in this thread. Sorry if that made you lose track.

As it turns out, they did upload an EQG short today, just a few hours later.

As obnoxious as I remember, besides the pretty good chorus. Especially the airhorns.

From Discord
    unknown.png

Last edited:
    Sweet and Smoky
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    Sweet and Smokey
    Garble being Smolder's brother is weird when there's another part of his group that actually looks like he'd be Smolder's brother, but whatever.

This was an alright episode, but carried more by Fluttershy than Spike. It was nice to see more of the dragon lands and how things work there, but seriously, where are the big dragons? We saw tons of them back in "Dragon Quest", and the migration in it was specifically to lay their eggs, and there are eggs here, so...? Anyway, I also liked seeing how Smolder fit in with dragon society.

Fluttershy was pretty great all throughout this episode, with her showing zero fear of the dragons and scaring them instead, and making beat poetry. Funnily, she's even the one who resolves Garble's subplot instead of Spike.

It was a bit odd that Garble coming out as a beat poet making everyone laugh is what saved the day, which was followed up by the other dragons being told they shouldn't laugh at him. I suppose the fact that they could have made them laugh another way makes that conflict in messaging a bit less weird.

As far as redemptions go, this does go a similar "bullies are just afraid of being bullied" path as "One Bad Apple", but compared to that episode, I liked that Garble was redeemed due to pressure from his sister and an adult figure (Fluttershy), which puts less pressure on kids to redeem bullies themselves.

Also, this episode ends with kidnapping.

EQG - Festival Looks
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    New Equestria Girls short on Discovery Go, "Festival Looks". It's short even for a short, but it's pretty fun. I laughed out loud at Rarity's "TOUCHDOWN!" followed by Rainbow trying to say that's not what it is before being muted.

On another note, I'm hearing some people are using the fact that the EQG crew does in fact ship Rarijack to bludgeon people who don't, and yeah, don't do that.

Related tweet

Rokii
    🔜 Bronycon 2019
    ‏ @RokiiDokiLoki
    2h2 hours ago

But muh appledash.

K.Hadley
    ‏ @isitlunchyet_t
    Replying to @RokiiDokiLoki @HorseNewsMLP and

Still valid
    8:57 AM - 26 May 2019

Katrina Hadley confirms that the random visual Rarijack hints aren't coincidences
    Alex Inman
    ‏ @InmanAlex
    10h10 hours ago

So, moments in later shorts and episodes like, say, this one, aren't a coincidence?

K.Hadley
    ‏ @isitlunchyet_t
    Replying to @InmanAlex @JumpieStudios @WubcakeVA

Nope.
    4:28 AM - 26 May 2019

On Rainbow in ships
    Gallop-a-Gus
    ‏ @ajnrules
    9h9 hours ago

Gallop-a-Gus Retweeted Lauren Faust

Hoooo boooooy. Now I'm curious who you ship EQG Rainbow Dash with, or is it as Lauren Faust describes it?

Gallop-a-Gus added,
    Lauren Faust
    @Fyre_flye
    .@ajnrules Rainbow Dash's one and only true love is herself!

K.Hadley
    ‏ @isitlunchyet_t
    Replying to @ajnrules @WubcakeVA

I'm with Lauren on this one. I don't think RD really thinks much about romantic relationships, she's too busy doing her thing and it's a a very low priority.
    4:31 AM - 26 May 2019

On whether these hints are still valid when they were added in the storyboarding stage

(Original tweet this is replying to deleted)

K.Hadley
    ‏ @isitlunchyet_t
    Replying to @AP1nkprincess

The writers have never explicitly written any of the character as LGBTQ. Is it valid? That's a tricky word as I wouldn't want to invalidate anyone's sexuality and representation in media is important for marginal groups . So we leave it open to the viewers personal interpretation
    9:25 AM - 26 May 2019

And while on the EQG topic, some art.
    1.Camping Must-Haves Rarity X Applejack by kakumlp
    2.Festival Filters Rarity X Applejack by kakumlp
    3.Twilight from Spring Breakdown by CleverPon on DeviantArt - Anthro
    4.Sunset outfits by keeerooooo1
    5.Sunset talking to SciTwi in her sleep by yakieringi014
    small.jpeg

small.jpeg

thumb.png

small.jpeg

medium.jpeg

1.Rarity - Camping Must Haves by Tabrony23 on DeviantArt
    2.Sunset showing off her backstage pass by sozglitch
    3.Sunset's swag dance by sozglitch
    thumb.png

thumb.jpeg

thumb.jpeg

Last edited:
    Comic - Spirit of the Forest #1
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    MLP: Spirit of the Forest #1
    A new comic miniseries started, focused on the Cutie Mark Crusaders and environmentalism. With the same team as Ponyville Mysteries, which I ended up not liking overall, I was considering skipping this. While it isn't particularly amazing, I don't regret reading it.
    Screenshot_2019-05-29-08-42-49.png

The CMC go out camping in the Whitetail Woods (so no deer elves here) only to discover loads of stinky trash. They gather their classmates to clean it up, which results in some pretty nice moments with Diamond Tiara specifically as she talks about how much her grandmother loved these woods. The Crusaders come back another day only to find garbage there again. They discover the litterers are lumber workers eating on the way to a lumber mill owned by Filthy Rich, and convince Filthy to implement a strict no littering policy. However, they realize they have a bigger problem when they see just how many trees they're cutting down.
    find_trash.png

Besides the ever adorable art, there are two keys to why this story works so far: Sweetie Belle's righteous indignation, which I feel ties back to her appreciation of Harmonizing Heights in season 8's "Surf and/or Turf"; and the way the woods connect to Diamond Tiara and Filthy Rich.
    let_me_at_them.png

The former results in a lot of good Sweetie reactions, and with the latter, it's great to get some expansion on Good Diamond Tiara. It also results in a motivation for Filthy Rich that isn't just "hahaha money money money", although his desire to make sure everyone has access to the high quality wood from the forest seems like an ill advised way to respect the wishes of Diamond's grandmother.
    tiara_speech.png

Overall, I liked this comic, and despite being a pretty standard story, it's quite enjoyable.
    your_mother.png

With the August solicitations showing another 3-issue miniseries starting then, Feats of Friendship, I imagine we'll just keep getting miniseries like this up until IDW decides to stop supporting G4.

~~~

Already posted episode screenshots above, so I don't think "Sweet and Smoky" warrants a full episode followup. Instead just have an art dump.

The episode was pretty light on art, but there's still a bunch coming in for "Frenemies" and others before it.

First, agrol GIF
    small.gif

1.Private Performance by InuHoshi-to-DarkPen on DeviantArt - Garble and Smolder
    2.Hatching! by Darksly-z on DeviantArt - Ember
    3.Heckin PISSED by aem97 on DeviantArt - Fluttershy
    4.Rainbow teaches Garble how to dab by mightyshockwave - Based on Garble dabbing during his poetry
    5.Lava Diving (Pic of the week MLPS9E9) by JonFawkes on DeviantArt - Humanized
    small.png

thumb.jpeg

small.png

small.png

small.jpeg

1.Fanart - MLP. Season 9, EP 9, Garbro by jamescorck on DeviantArt - Garble
    2.Sitting Smolder by uotapo on DeviantArt
    3.Smolbath2 - uotapo's Sta.sh
    4.Smolder hugging Garble by klondike
    thumb.png

thumb.jpeg

small.jpeg

small.png

Comics
    My Little Pony: What did you just said? by zouyugi on DeviantArt
    large.png

Spike telling Garble something by tjpones - Suggestive
    large.png

Older episode art

Agrol GIF for "Frenemies"
    small.gif

1.Chrysalis as ophiotaurus by xbi
    2.That Would Make Me So Glad! by RubyG242 on DeviantArt - Chrysalis
    3.Crlslninsnwrbt01 by Plotcore on DeviantArt - Chrysalis
    4.I Found It! by DebMervin on DeviantArt - Cozy Glow
    5.Team...something by Andromedasparkz on DeviantArt - The Frenemies
    thumb.jpeg

small.jpeg

small.jpeg

thumb.jpeg

small.png

1.pony Cozy Glow by xbi on DeviantArt
    2.:Frenemies: by SoundwavePie on DeviantArt
    3.Diabolical by poecillia-gracilis19 on DeviantArt - Frenemies
    4.Some doodles from Freniemes by FallenAngel5414 on DeviantArt - Cozy and Chrysalis
    5.Wicked Unity by OinkTweetStudios on DeviantArt - Frenemies
    thumb.jpeg

thumb.png

small.jpeg

thumb.jpeg

thumb.png

1.Dream Team? by InuHoshi-to-DarkPen on DeviantArt - Frenemies
    2.Beach Boy by VanillaSwirl6 on DeviantArt - Sandbar
    3.SandBar and Pony Yona Sticker Design by AmethystCutey on DeviantArt
    4.Pony Yona by pabbley
    5.Luna petting goose by Marenlicious on DeviantArt
    6.Do something.. by Marenlicious on DeviantArt - Rainbow
    7.Angry by Coldmix on DeviantArt - Rainbow
    8.EQG Pinkie by noupu
    small.png

small.png

thumb.png

thumb.jpeg

small.png

thumb.png

thumb.png

thumb.jpeg

EQG - Run to Break Free (YouTube)
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

Now on YouTube. Song's still just alright, but visually interesting.

Katrina Hadley linked another studio that worked on this song.

K.Hadley
    ‏ @isitlunchyet_t

One of our favourite songs of the season! Check out the MLP:EG music video "Run to Break Free" big thanks to the Jess's at Sound Revolver, loved working with you!! Check them out! https://www.soundrevolver.com/copy-of-about and the vid! https://youtu.be/IqN9R45JHuQ
    11:55 AM - 31 May 2019

Looking at the cartoon work they have done, I haven't watched the new Littlest Pet Shop (I really should get on finishing the previous series...) but the one MLP thing they did before was this live action music video from two years ago.

You can hear the similarities in the songs.
    Also I find it amusing that while this music video does indeed have more views than the average MLP video on Hasbro's channel, it isn't so much more that bringing on some YouTube celebrity I haven't heard seems to have been worth it.

Going to Seed
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    Going to Seed
    Note: don't feed pancakes to dogs.

Well I was glad Granny and Goldie weren't deliberately trying to mess with the harvest for a lesson of some kind, but rather it was just Big Mac doing things in his sleep.

Not much to say about this episode really. It's cute, and it's nice to see the Apple Parents in a flashback for once (and with Apple Bloom for the first time) but not much else.

Comic - Manga volume 2 synopsis
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    Though then again the special kept going back and forth between Equestria and the human world, which did bother me quite a bit.
    Yeah, one big shame was that they just couldn't stick to Equestria for long enough. The gag used when cutting back and forth between worlds was funny on its own, but it just felt like rubbing it in that we couldn't see as much of the humans in Equestria as we'd like.

Plus I commend them that there wasn't a direct villain, while still having to deal with conflict.
    From leaked assets, there's an offhand mention of a "Storm Queen" in an image showing the scale of the Storm King's staff, so it's possible there was one at one point. But if so, getting rid of her was definitely the right move.

Some info about this episode

MLP-Trinary
    ‏ @MLP_Trinary
    11h11 hours ago

Heya! There's something in the episode that had a couple of us fans confused. AJ mentions Braeburn and Honeycrisp as possible helpers. No one seems to know who Honeycrip is--not even the MLP Wiki, which has names for virtually all the background characters! Who is Honeycrisp?

Big Jim
    ‏ @TheBiggestJim
    Replying to @MLP_Trinary @OhJeeToriG @kayleachard

An Apple family relative we've never met.
    8:50 AM - 2 Jun 2019

Honeycrisp is a new character.

Dustykatt
    ‏ @Dusty_Kat
    Jun 1

This should be called "Its the Great Seedling, Applejack!"

Big Jim
    ‏ @TheBiggestJim
    Replying to @Dusty_Kat

It was at one point.
    8:52 AM - 1 Jun 2019

Now for fanmade stuff, focusing on the highest quality stuff.

It's here! Nice poetry. And that ending.

Also here, an agrol GIF already.
    small.gif

1.Sleeping Big Mac by kam
    2.Apple Stake Out (Pic of the week MLPS9E10) by JonFawkes on DeviantArt
    3.S9E10 - The Great Seedling by luminaura on DeviantArt
    4.going to seed by LooknamTCN on DeviantArt
    5.Great Seedling GIF by brightroom
    medium.png

medium.jpeg

thumb.png

thumb.png

thumb.gif

Apple Trap by bobthedalek on DeviantArt
    large.jpeg

~~~

And I forgot there was going to be more than one of these. Synopsis for volume 2 of the MLP "manga" (written and drawn by Americans). First volume is coming out later this month (Amazon). We also have the cover for the third volume.

My Little Pony: The Manga – A Day in the Life of Equestria Vol. 2

STRANGE THINGS ARE AHOOF

2.JPG
    1.JPG

Story & Art by: David Lumsdon & Shiei
    Release Date: 2020/04/21
    Price: $10.99
    Format: OEL
    Trim: 5 x 7.5in
    Page Count: 120
    ISBN: 978-1-642751-34-5

Toning: Ludwig Sacramento
    Lettering: Nicky Lim

The Great Cake Bake Festival is tomorrow! All of Ponyville is head over hooves with excitement as they prepare. But then…the big day never arrives. Each new day is still always the day before the festival. In fact, it seems like it's been the day before the festival for as long as anypony can remember. What could possibly be the reason? A mysterious artifact from ancient Mesoponytamia? Is Discord up to his old tricks? Hopefully, somepony can solve the mystery and set things right!

Don't miss this all-new manga series set in the world of Hasbro's My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

I'm really digging this synopsis. EQG had a Groundhog Day story in a novel, and it's nice to see a pony version.

Last edited:
    EQG - Five Lines You Need to Stand In
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    Forgot to mention, new EQG short this Sunday, "Five Lines You Need to Stand In", which involves Pinkie Pie celebrating the security line, the hours long food line, the photo booth line, the mystery line (actually a circle around a tree), and finally the bathroom line. It's pretty cute.

But whoa hold on, who's this running the food truck?
    small.png

Well according to fans, it's clearly Principal Celestia's daughter! At least according to the artist Jake Heritagu.
    Image 1
    Image 2
    thumb.png

medium.png

Quoting ED, Daniel Ingram got together with Black Gryph0n, Baasik, and Arielle Tuliao (the singing voice of Scootaloo)

Arielle having only become her singing voice for season 8's "Surf and/or Turf", to be clear.

And we have a bunch more "official fan art", from the Tumblr of Bevin Brand, former storyboard revisionist for EQG (Derpibooru). Some samples.
    Sunset with cat
    medium.jpeg

1.Action SciTwi
    2.Action Sunset
    3.Action Rarity
    4.Action EXPLOSIONS Pinkie
    5.Rarity and Pinkie making a cupcake
    6.Timber giving Gloriosa her flowers
    7.Rarity getting Flash Sentry's measurements
    medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

small.jpeg

medium.jpeg

It's funny that the Tumblr post made up of Timber and Flash art has way fewer likes than the others.

EQG - Find the Magic
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    We have our first new Dazzlings content since 2014, with a new Equestria Girls music video, "Find the Magic". The song wasn't to my taste. I suppose it's good on a technical level but I just didn't like it much. Outfits should result in a lot of fan art, though.
    medium.jpeg

Another one of these, this time with the actual male VAs, though Peter New's wife is standing in for Sugar Belle. I laughed when Vincent did the cheese fondue pose.

And also

Pretty straightforward this time. Surprised there wasn't anything with the cats.

We have an interview with the writer of the upcoming MLP "manga", David Lumsdon, and it's pretty interesting.
    81vFNFdar4L.jpg

First of all, it's pretty striking to me how similar the premise of the first volume is actually pretty similar to the RPs I run on Discord. And the second volume is going to be inspired by Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer, a classic trippy anime film. I'm looking forward to this.

There's a bunch of stuff for this episode but I'll just cover this now. First, here's a GIF of Trixie tracking herself.
    small.gif

Screenshots from this part resulted in this.
    thumb.png

Which resulted in this cursed GIF by alumx
    small.gif

And Twitter version with sound

Comic - Friendship is Magic #78
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    Friendship is Magic #78
    Well, the Cosmos arc has come to an end. Overall, I'm not too satisfied by this arc, but one thing I'm happy about is that unlike previous big stories by Cook, this doesn't all come down to one character solving everything by themselves. Though this does mean that Cosmos at full power oddly comes off as much weaker than her, well, weaker versions from previous chapters.
    cosmos_bored.png

The art remains a delight as ever, though, including some horrifying imagery from Cosmos's transformations.
    cosmos_nightmare.png
    malice_personified.png

Still, this arc really doesn't feel like it deserved four (really five) issues of material as is, given how much padding it turned out to have in the end. Discord makes a joke about having to explain everything to Rainbow and the others when they could have just read the arc, but the characters involved in the final battle not actually knowing what's going on seems like it'd undermine everything happening. Hell, I completely forgot Capper was in this arc until he appeared at the end. I don't think it even had anything particularly interesting to say about Discord and Cosmos's relationship. Discord stands up to her at the end, and that's the extent of their development.
    cosmos_denial.png

I would recommend this arc for its fantastic art, but nothing else really.

Silver Quill's review points out that with the alicorns out of the way, the other Mane Six are left leaderless during the final fight, which allows for more interplay between them than usual, which actually was interesting to see. Plus I forgot to bring up how Spike is the key to saving the day.
    always_hungry.png

~~~

I mentioned not posting some news yesterday, but it's popping up on Buzzfeed now too, so might as well. Scootaloo's lesbian aunts will appear in Saturday's episode, and they're lesbians there! The article contains no spoilers beyond that fact (which was the big issue with the article from yesterday I chose not to link).

EDIT: Huh, this is a pretty unexpected cover, since IIRC Wubcake doesn't watch the show anymore. Still, pretty good, especially her Cozy Glow voice.

Last edited:
    EQG - Festival Filters (YouTube)
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

Still good. And since the Discovery Go upload, we've gotten confirmation that the hearts filter was an intentional bit of shipping.

And we got stuff from the wrap party I mentioned above.

The yearbook they gave out, with some fantastic ponifications of the crew. It's shown off in video form.

And a shirt they got.

Since it's an image, I can embed it for those who have Instagram blocked. Note that it's on the grim side.
    medium.png

And about production

Big Jim
    ‏ @TheBiggestJim

For those asking, while we did have our wrap party last night, we still have 1 more week of production to go. I've written up a little something that I'll post next Friday.
    7:16 AM - 14 Jun 2019

Only one week until production on FiM has wrapped up. Hard to believe.

Episode followup coming later. And I'm behind on fan art in general.

The Last Crusade
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    The Last Crusade
    My prediction based on the (lack of) fan reactions was right: Scootaloo's parents appear and want to take her away, but they don't in the end.

Compared to previous parent appearances, this definitely felt a bit meta. It wasn't just, "Scootaloo's parents appear", it's, "Look! Look! It's Scootaloo's parents! And they're badass adventurers! Now don't you feel bad about calling Scootaloo an orphan?" I feel like if you weren't keyed into all the orphan memes, then all the fanfare would feel off. After all, it's not like we've seen Sweetie Belle with her parents since season 2, but no one thinks they died off screen. I was going to say no one thought Fluttershy and Rainbow were orphans before their parents appeared, but then I remembered, no, people totally did. Heck in the fanfic Past Sins (written between season 1 and 2), Rarity and Sweetie were described as orphans.

Just checked, and indeed, the comics give a totally different design for Auntie Lofty and Aunt Holiday. Really weird that they didn't provide the show designs to IDW, since Ponyville Mysteries came out less than a year ago.

Anyway, I liked the episode itself. It was sweet and there were good gags. Glad someone finally pointed out that the CMC don't actually have the same cutie marks. It was nice to see everyone the CMC helped come together in the end. Terramar and Gabby touched: shipping commence! Someone on Discord was hyping up Diamond Tiara's appearance in this episode, but all she did was wave and say nothing. Okay?

I am a bit disappointed there wasn't a bit more edge to this episode. "Parental Glideance" hinted that Scootaloo really missed having her parents around, so I would have liked her to show more resentment toward them, but no one really had their temper flare this episode. Plus Scootaloo ultimately convincing her parents to let her stay there because of the importance of her job felt off. It would have made more sense to emphasize all the connections of friendship she made rather than the worth of her job.

I wonder what this means for future CMC episodes. Is this the last focus episode they'll get at all?

If you're wondering,

Nicole Dubuc
    ‏Verified account @NicoleDubuc
    6h6 hours ago

That is an authentic Australian accent. #MLPSeason9 @BillNewtonVO killin' it as always!!!

I know some people thought Scootaloo's father's accept was really fake, but no, Bill Newton is in fact Australian, so that is in fact an Australian accent. Though of course, someone who is from Place X can still do a Fake Place X accent.

Also,

Roberta90
    ‏ @Roberta9020
    4h4 hours ago

@TheBiggestJim Were Scootaloos parents based on Crocodile Dundee and his girlfriend or Steve Irvin and his wife?

Big Jim
    ‏ @TheBiggestJim
    Replying to @Roberta9020

Steve Irwin and Jane Goodall.
    10:13 AM - 15 Jun 2019

Nicole Dubac also confirms this but in multiple tweets. While Scootadad was indeed based on Steve Irwin, Scootamom was based on Jane Goodall.

MLP: The Manga: A Day in the Life of Equestria Volume 1
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    MLP: The Manga: A Day in the Life of Equestria Volume 1
    This was a ton of fun. Unlike the IDW comics, this focuses almost entirely on being cute and silly, as opposed to really trying to tell a story. That said, there are multiple storylines, each focusing on different characters.

First, Pinkie Pie finds herself lost in alternate realities and Twilight and Spike go searching for her. This could have worked for an entire volume, but it's just about 12 pages depending on how you count it. This is a lot of fun regardless, giving brief glimpses of other worlds. It brings in Doctor Hooves to resolve everything, but the nature of the story makes that fine.
    medium.png

Source

Next, Pinkie Pie guides Celestia around Ponyville while Twilight tries to wrangle with a petrifying spell. This is another really fun story, though I feel like Celestia is the one who deviates the most from her normal personality, and appearance. She's a lot more... how do I put it... anime. It also has Celestia send a claw machine she doesn't like to the moon, as a warning to those sick of that joke. This story introduces the closest thing to an overarching story: Star Dancer, the pony who definitely is not an alien.
    medium.png

Source

Third, Rarity is asked to make an outfit for a special client, who turns out to be The Smooze. This becomes true manga in that story, thanks to Rarity getting a bath scene with Sweetie Belle. I liked this one for ojousama style Rarity and because I generally like stories where Rarity has to overcome obstacles. You'll have to get the manga to see Rarity take a bath >_>.

Fourth, Fluttershy is scared to give a speech and hides in her shed. And yes, the manga makes references to SHED.MOV, which disappointed me a bit. There are good moments though, like this.
    medium.png

Source

Fifth is the weakest story of the lot, focusing on Applejack, of course. Flim and Flam show up again to cause trouble, but the special apples they brought turn out to be crab apples, as in apple-shaped crabs that go around pinching everyone. It's a lot of story, not many gags. It also has the odd detail that despite Spike having wings, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon are still making fun of blank flanks and Apple Bloom has to be forced to help them instead of watching crabs pinch them.

I wasn't a big fan of the sixth story either. Derpy is wrecking stuff, so Rainbow takes her to Zecora to find a cure for her clumsiness. Instead, Derpy uncovers a dragon claw and accidentally wishes for Rainbow's flying skill, leaving Rainbow as clumsy as Derpy used to be. They fix this.

Seventh is a story focused on our new not-an-alien pony, Star Dancer. We start out with Pinkie and the CMC sneaking into a theater showing a scary alien film, and a suspicious comment from her causes the CMC to trail her.
    medium.png

Source

We do end up learning more about her, and I won't reveal what that is, but it's definitely going to play a major role in Volume 2, which we know will have a continuous story all throughout about a time loop on the day of a festival.

And the last story is pure self indulgence as the ponies play out various manga tropes, with ninja, a giant monster, a magical girl, and a pony running with toast in their mouth. It's a lot of fun, and I would have liked it explored more, particularly since the only ones who get much focus in this part are the Apple Family, Twilight, and Spike.

Overall, I definitely recommend checking it out. This manga won't offer a meaningful story or lessons or character development, but it's super cute and a ton of fun.
    medium.jpeg

Source

EQG - How to Backstage (YouTube)
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    Big Jim, animation director for FiM, has a message for everyone now that DHX has finished production on FiM just today

Equestria Daily has rehosted each image here

It's a nice message, calling out everyone possible. And that's another step toward the end of the show for us viewers.

It's going to be interesting to hear their thoughts on Rainbow Roadtrip, which they weren't involved in.

On another note, on YouTube now

Still cute, but I still feel like this doesn't really match Sunset's previous personality, so all the people going, "This is why I love Sunset," is weird to me. Unless the "why" is just "Sunset's cute", haha.

Between Dark and Dawn
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    Sylvee , I agree that "The Last Crusade" feels really normal for what's possibly the last CMC episode. A big part of it is what I mentioned before, that Scootaloo's parents aren't really anything someone not involved in the fandom would care much about or even notice (and I feel even the fandom mostly lost interest), and it's hard to make a big thing out of them like you would with Diamond Tiara being reformed. Like even if this episode had big musical numbers, it just wouldn't emotionally make sense. Unless Scootaloo actually did leave.

About making "Crusaders of the Lost Mark" the final CMC episode, that reminds me of these tweets from yesterday.

Sean Horace
    ‏ @SeanHorace
    2h2 hours ago

Why didn't @Hasbro commission you and the others to do an episode where Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon spoke all these years?

Big Jim
    ‏ @TheBiggestJim
    Replying to @SeanHorace @Hasbro

You'd have to ask them. We pitched stuff with those characters, and they seemed less interested in them post-"Crusaders".
    8:54 PM - 21 Jun 2019

Kallo
    ‏ @KalloSkull
    1h1 hour ago

Was there any particular reason why Diamond Tiara never got a speaking role again after her redemption, or was it just pure coincidence? Seems after S5 she kinda just faded out of the series apart from a few minor background appearances.

Big Jim
    ‏ @TheBiggestJim
    Replying to @KalloSkull

We pitched stuff with her but Hasbro never bit. They felt like her story was complete. 🤷🏽‍♂️
    9:39 PM - 21 Jun 2019

Kallo
    ‏ @KalloSkull
    1h1 hour ago

Interesting. So did Hasbro specifically order she not appear in any major role anymore, or was it more you guys not wanting to include her if you couldn't properly focus a story on her? I assume Hasbro didn't generally control side-characters appearing for small one-liners etc?
    1 reply 0 retweets 0 likes

Big Jim
    ‏ @TheBiggestJim
    Replying to @KalloSkull

They don't, no. But the stories that got chosen didn't ever really feature her. And bringing in VAs for single lines can be expensive, so we always tried to use characters that had more than a single line unless they were randos.
    9:55 PM - 21 Jun 2019

So Hasbro decided Diamond Tiara's story was over with that episode and rejected any episode ideas with her after that.

There are more tweets and official fan art to post, but I'll save that for another post.

~~~

Between Dark and Dawn
    This was a fun episode, though smiley Celestia and Luna are seriously weird looking, plus it's strange hearing both of them talk the way they do here. The story doesn't offer much in twists and turns, but it's enjoyable and there are a ton of settings and costumes. It's interesting that Celestia and Luna's preferences are swapped from what fans usually go with: Celestia is the one who wants to go adventuring, while Luna just wants to go to a spa and relax. I also liked the consistent gags of background ponies being excited to see them.

In universe, it's a bit hard to justify Twilight not knowing that Celestia delegates tasks, especially since she's had lessons about this before. But then again, this does match up to how Twilight decided to start a school with no other teachers besides her friends. It's weird how Fancy Pants has been a jerk in every episode he's spoken in after his introduction. Also wait, shouldn't Celestia's note have mentioned the party planning committee?

That tortoise was pretty cool, but SMH at it being a strike-breaking scab.

This was revealed by her a couple weeks ago, but this episode was written by Gail Simone, of comic book fame. Repeating what I mentioned then, it's great to finally get a famous female guest writer, and Gail Simone actually was just the person I expected for such a role, as someone who has written for cartoons before (of the superhero kind). Given she's a guest writer, I'm surprised by all the little references she included, like the Royal Canterlot Voice and Sunburst being mentioned. I'll have to look at her tweets again now that I've seen the episode.

~~~

We finally have footage of Rainbow Roadtrip!

Movement feels a bit slow, but it otherwise looks nice.

Comic - September 2019 solicitations
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    We got solicitations for IDW comics in September.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #82
    Kate Sherron (w) • Kate Sherron (a & CVR A) • Sara Richard (CVR B) • Nicoletta Baldari (1:10 RI CVR)
    STL129456.jpg

A dust-up in Ponyville plus an escaped Cerberus equals quite the ruckus for our favorite fillies! When Princess Celestia requests a dog sitter for the high-spirited canine, the task falls to the least-likely of ponies: Rarity! It's going to take some dog-dog-dogged determination, a bit of hard work, and a whole lot of patience to figure this whole dog thing out... but it's sure to be a pawsitively wild adventure!

My Little Pony: Feats of Friendship #2 (of 3)
    Ian Flynn (w) • Tony Fleecs (a & CVR A) • JustaSuta (CVR B) • Katie O'Neill (1:10 RI CVR)
    STL129454.jpg

With the Feats of Friendship underway, the Young Six-plus Swift Foot-look to get ahead of the competition! On the schedule? Gathering apples from Sweet Apple Acres, building a bridge across Stable Rapids River, and outwitting the Chimera! Shouldn't be a problem for our heroes, right? If only they could just get along... and why does Swift Foot seem so happy about all this fighting, huh?!

I didn't think they'd follow up on those scenes of Rarity and the Cerberus from "School Raze" of all things. Kate Sherron has drawn that Zephyr Breeze issue, and she's drawing #80 (not out yet), but this will be the first issue she's written.

For Feats of Friendship, odd that we got Cover B before A. Anyway, looks like Swift Foot, who probably isn't Sonic, will be evil. Like usual for these miniseries, the synopses don't mean much before the miniseries has actually started.

Another video of Daniel Ingram covering his own songs.

This is a pretty good cover.

Alright, before I get to fan art for this episode, going to post those other Big Jim tweets I mentioned.

Big Jim
    ‏ @TheBiggestJim

@pixelkitties has done the autograph art for almost every con I've attended as a guest. If ever there was someone who 'got' me from an influence standpoint, it's her. And if she had lived closer, I would have loved to have her on the #mlp crew. #IAppreciatePixelkitties
    8:11 PM - 21 Jun 2019

Huh, I think this is the first time anyone on the crew has said "I would have hired this fan artist to work on the show".

Philocleon
    ‏ @Philocleon

Why did Arielle Tuliao do Scootaloo's singing voice in Your Heart is in Two Places?

Big Jim
    ‏ @TheBiggestJim
    Replying to @Philocleon

The CMC voice actors have grown up quite a bit since they first came on the show. It was crazy difficult for the actress to keep the SL voice AND sing in tune.
    8:53 PM - 21 Jun 2019

The CMC VAs were roughly the age of their characters when they started, but now they're all in their 20s. And Madeline Peters was already the oldest of the three.

Characters they hated drawing
    Osaka Jack
    ‏ @OsakaJack
    2h2 hours ago

Nice!
    Okay, my last one.
    Is there a character that wasn't necessarily disliked, but staff groaned about b/c they were more difficult to animate?

Big Jim
    ‏ @TheBiggestJim
    Replying to @OsakaJack

THE BREEZIES. Ugh.
    9:04 PM - 21 Jun 2019

Last voices were recorded last October
    Cayci
    🐠
    ‏ @caycifish
    2h2 hours ago

How long ago was the final voice record?

Big Jim
    ‏ @TheBiggestJim
    Replying to @caycifish

October last year, I think?
    9:19 PM - 21 Jun 2019

Adam Hartley
    ‏ @metraking192
    2h2 hours ago

Is the ending emotional, did it make any member of the cast shed tears

Big Jim
    ‏ @TheBiggestJim
    Replying to @metraking192

Yup.
    9:08 PM - 21 Jun 2019

And that other official fan art, from Bevin Brand. Also only recently learned Bevin is a woman's name, so sorry if I referred to her as "he" in a previous post.
    Main Tumblr post for this set
    1. EQG Young Celestia and Luna
    2. Cadance giving dating advice to SciTwi
    3. Timber meeting the Twilight Family - includes unofficial EQG designs for Twilight Velvet and Night Light
    4. Timber X SciTwi sketches
    5.Commission info - With art of Curly Winds (blue guy) kissing Wiz Kid on the cheek
    small.jpeg

small.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

And now for "Between Dark and Dawn", I'll post some episode art from last month before anything new. And thinking about it, screw it, going to post medium sized art behind spoiler tags for the most part.
    1.Sister hug by darkest-lunar-flower
    2.Goth Celestia by not-ordinary-pony
    3.Princess Celestia + Princess Luna (MLP art) by xSatanielx on DeviantArt
    4.Luna Vacation by Dashy21 on DeviantArt
    5.Goth Celestia and 80's Luna in the water GIF by torpy-ponius
    medium.png

medium.png

medium.png

medium.png

medium.gif

1.Celestia and Luna being adorbs by krisscheen on DeviantArt
    2.Gothlestia by digimonlover101 on DeviantArt
    3.doodles by waterz-colrxz on DeviantArt - Doodles from a bunch of episodes
    4.Vacation Celestia by mewnikitty
    5.Goth Celestia by mewnikitty
    medium.png

medium.png

medium.png

medium.png

medium.png

1.Luna. One Stamp Please (EQG) by TheRETROart88 on DeviantArt
    2.Random Goth Tia Icon by Dashy21 on DeviantArt
    3.Celly by DDdreamdraw on DeviantArt
    4.Celestia by lRUSU on DeviantArt
    5.MLP FIM - Princess Luna Chilling At The Beach by Joakaha on DeviantArt
    medium.png

medium.png

medium.png

medium.png

medium.jpeg

EQG - The Last Drop
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    People really do read my posts!

The mane six portion felt like it ended up a bit abruptely. They still haven't learned anything from applebuck season.

Yeah, after rewatches, the Mane Six portion of the story is definitely the weak link and doesn't make them look great. Especially since Twilight has learned this lesson so many times before.

Did the Mane 6 really break that sanitation worker strike?

Cancelled.
    Yeah, that stuck out to me as an oddly inconsiderate moment. Hopefully they properly resolved the strike later and had the tortoise join their union.

Saw this pointed out
    SwESSs.png

c8Kvkh.png

The order of the colors, Gail Simone being progressive, and the fact that we know this isn't beyond the animators point to this being intentional.

Also, it was pointed out on Discord that "Between Dark and Dawn" is also the name of a Birds of Prey (DC superhero team) comic that was also written by Gail Simone. This episode's name is likely a reference.

EQG - The Last Drop
    I didn't bother to watch last week's EQG short, since it's CYOA and I've always found that awkward outside the official YouTube uploads, but nothing gets me to watch EQG more than Fluttershy doing something super cute, and she does this in today's. (Video edited to extend it).

I never knew I wanted this so much.

Sunset's video game themed ending is pretty great too, but Fluttershy's is... well, see above. There's also a Big Mac ending, but it's pretty unremarkable beyond a tiny CheeriMac moment... which is weird when she's a teacher and he's a high school student in this universe.

Unfortunately, this isn't online in good quality yet. And because of that, there aren't that many screenshots and GIFs on Derpibooru.

~~~

Ian Flynn talks about writing the Feats of Friendship comic. Sheesh, he's really building up Wind Sprint and how he can't even begin to go into what her deal is without massive spoilers. Hopefully she really is that interesting. It's also interesting to hear about how he started watching the show during season one but then stopped before the season ended, despite recommending it to others, but he kept tabs on it. Just too busy, I suppose.

~~~

It's getting late, but I suppose I should post a few more "Between Dark and Dawn" images. First four images are from before the US airing, rest are all from after.

1.Anthro Vacation Celestia and Luna by bubbletea - They have breasts, but they're covered, but they don't have pants, but there's nothing there, so... safe?
    2.Strawberry Ice's Momentous moment by FlyLash6009 on DeviantArt - Background pony's selfie with Celestia
    3.Vacation Luna by erufi
    4.Vacation Luna ball butt bounce by scheadar
    5.Beach Princesses by Itoruna-The-Platypus on DeviantArt
    medium.png

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.png

1.Goth Celestia body pillow (safe) by angstfish
    2.Sun and Moon | Cutie Saturday by Shibaroll on DeviantArt
    3.Goth Celestia by moozua
    4.Fanart - MLP. Season 9, EP 13, Royal Duet by jamescorck on DeviantArt - Goth Celestia and 80's Luna
    5.Emo Celestia by Marenlicious on DeviantArt
    medium.jpeg

medium.png

medium.png

medium.png

medium.png

1.Luna telling Foul Beast Scootaloo to begone by bennimarru
    2.[Chicken Dance] by CowsRTastyArt on Newgrounds - And Celestia
    3.Sisters trading personalities by RaikohIllust on DeviantArt - Goth Celestia and 80's Luna
    4.Luna with stingbush seed pods on her butt by gouransion - The version on DeviantArt adds underwear, which as always somehow makes it lewder, so going with the bottomless version.
    5.S9E13 - Alter Princesses by lumineko -- Fur Affinity [dot] net - Goth Celestia and 80's Luna
    medium.png

medium.png

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.png

Goth Celestia only appeared for a few seconds but is getting a ton of art. I liked her look after getting in water more than before.

Comic - Spirit of the Forest #2
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    Spirit of the Forest #2 (of 3)
    Compared to the previous mostly feel-good issue, this is much more downbeat, with every attempt to get Filthy Rich to stop destroying the White Tail Woods failing. All his papers are in order (so no Lawyer Twilight this time), his mill has already become a major source of lumber for the town, and the CMC's attempt to scare the workers away with a monster costume is thwarted by none other than their sisters (and Rainbow).

medium.png

We get more of Good Diamond Tiara here, which is nice to see. It's clear that her talking to her father will be the key to resolving this.

Looking at this purely from a character standpoint, we learn more about Filthy Rich's motivation behind cutting down White Tail Woods. It appears to be entirely profit driven, using the good feelings people have about the woods as a marketing campaign. While his mother loved these woods, he thinks she'd be proud to see him make good use of them. He actually changes his reasoning a lot through this issue, so it's pretty clear there's some more personal reason behind his actions.

2076109.png

My concern with this sort of environmental message is that it tells kids that they have to do something about pollution, but also shows there's no real legal avenue for this, so they have to appeal to the good sides of business owners, since they certainly can't encourage kids to do anything illegal. In a time when climate and pollution is an immediate issue, this sort of lesson just feels outdated.

2076114.png

I didn't notice until Silver Quill's review, but yeah, they don't even consider the idea of asking Twilight to help with this. Granted, given previous stories, Twilight will inexplicably have her hands tied. I agree with Silver in a vacuum that it's nice to see this isn't presented in a black and white way, but at the same time, I've heard one too many "but what about the jobs?!" and such regarding coal mines and other environmentally devastating actions in recent years. I suppose it is important for future environmentalists to be exposed to that argument, though.

Still, this is overall a fine issue for its premise.

2076095.png

~~~

New official fan art, young SciTwi and Shining Armor by Bevin Brand
    medium.jpeg

"Lotta Little Things" cover by Wubcake. Surprised to see another new show song cover from her.

I'm not sure it really sounds much like Sunset, but then again I have a hard time visualizing Sunset's singing voice.

EQG - Festival Looks (YouTube)
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    On YouTube now

Rarity yelling, "TOUCHDOWN!" is still great.

And we have another Ingram cover.

It's interesting having Aloma Steele (Luna's current singing voice) play Luna here, since it was Rarity's singing voice in the actual song.

And reminding again that Rainbow Roadtrip will air tomorrow. It's weird that we know so little about it, and that it seems like people aren't that aware it's coming.

Rainbow Roadtrip
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    Rainbow Roadtrip
    Before I start watching, I'll set my expectations. I never thought the premise was all that intriguing, and the bits of animation we have seen are a bit stiff, so I expect this to be like Return of Jafar is to Aladdin. Keep in mind I liked RoJ well enough... when I was a kid. I haven't seen it in ages.

Woah, song at the start. I thought it was Rainbow singing at first, but maybe not. Animation already looks better than I assumed. Oh hey, Spike has wings after all. And more than that, he's in this special. Wait, was that a preview of what will happen? No, looks like they did in fact pack by the time Pinkie starts speaking. Hey! Lyra and Bon Bon! And Starlight and Trixie!

Ha, we haven't had an acknowledgment of Pinkie's crazy speed since season 2's "A Friend in Deed". Actually, is this the first time it's actually acknowledged as a thing in-universe? Anyway, I enjoyed this sequence. Compared to the Movie, they're willing to go more cartoony with this art style, it seems. Faces seem to be a weak point, though.

Alright, Spike isn't coming after all. Still, school acknowledgment! This is ingraining itself into continuity way more than the Movie did already.

The scene of everyone fleeing the balloon felt faster here than in the commercial. Just my imagination?

Petunia has a nice design. Thought they were going Japanese with her design, but then she says, "don't cha know," and has a Minnesotan accent.

Cute spider. Aww, they didn't show who had to share beds with who >_>.

Episode's going out of its way to highlight that colt and filly, and that old couple.

Neat, mare engineer.

Didn't expect the mayor to have a song. Is he a guest star? Hey, Blue Big Mac. No wonder I liked Petunia's design, I detected her purple hair through the grayscale. I like the song, outside of the concessions it makes to exposition.

Knowing the way this usually goes, the mayor must be evil, but I don't see a way for that to happen as of yet.

Hey, looks like everyone is getting their own subplot. Compare this to the Movie, where Fluttershy, Applejack, and Rarity didn't get a real moment to shine. Also a good move taking a multipronged approach to solving this.

Not just teleporting, Twilight can use other kinds of magic! Definite improvement from the Movie. Didn't notice before, but that colt and filly prove that beanies exist in Ponyland. What's your excuse for not wearing one as a pony, Starlight? Pickles and Barley are cute.

Laughed at Applejack and Torque hammering at the sign with their mouths.

Oh hey! Pony with a peg leg!

"I see you're taking your pie for a walk and--" I liked that, and Pinkie making a frown in the window.

Twilight not paying attention to Applejack pointing out the colored flowers is annoying.

Huh, Twilight is just wearing her rainbow wings from the toy commercial. Not a power up, then.

Actually wait, there are only 10 minutes left. Is the mayor not going to be evil after all?

Huh. No villains. No big climax.

That clip from the toy commercial really was from this special, though the commercial removed the other ponies I think. I like this song.

This was a weird special overall, because it's hard to see what the point of it was, to be blunt. Like sure, I can accept the idea of an hour long special that's purely slice of life, but given that, why this kind of story? It's basically "The Crystal Empire" minus Sombra. I feel like it's more an attempt to ease Boulder Media into animating Pony than anything else, with some minor toy tie ins.

Still, overall, I enjoyed it. It's pretty slow paced, and feels closer to one's typical expectations of a My Little Pony special pre-G4 than anything we've seen before, but there were good gags and character interactions, and there weren't any real low points.

Comic - Friendship is Magic #79
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    Friendship is Magic #79
    This is a pretty straightforward story, and it reminds me a lot of that one Reboot season 1 episode "Talent Night". Ponyville is planning a celebration for Mayor Mare and Apple Bloom is left to distract her while Twilight and Cranky try to find talent to perform for her. And then a surprise guest appears.

This came as a surprise to me, since I assumed from the cover that more focus would be on Mayor Mare and Apple Bloom, but no, Apple Bloom just distracts her and they don't particularly bond. But looking at the original solicitation, what was described is what we got. It really was just the cover.

role_model.png

Anyway, because there isn't any real bonding, there wasn't much substance to this story. Just a series of gags, and a cameo appearance that is getting people excited even though this character already made a cameo in the comics. Albeit non-speaking.

I'll just come out and say it: it's Sunset. It is a fun moment, with her coming in to give a performance and then telling Twilight to invite her to events, but that's all she does. It's also weird, because Sunset performs with some random ponies we've never seen before to my knowledge, and she shows up for Mayor Mare when there's been no indication they even knew about each other, yet the mayor recognizes her here. As a disclaimer, I actually did see panels with Sunset on Derpibooru before reading the comic, and then saw people hyping up a surprise in the issue, but that led me to believe Sunset would be more involved in the story than she was.

small.png

(source)

Pencils returns for the art, and it's good. Twilight had glasses on for most of the issue, which was nice. And Pony Sunset has her jacket!

cranky_twilight.png

Silver Quill's review points out that there isn't any tension in either subplot. Apple Bloom is keeping Mayor Mare distracted, and Twilight doesn't seem particularly stressed about them not finding any talent for the performance. The only thing keeping the reader hooked is the identify of a shadowy figure (who turns out to be Sunset). He also points out an odd thing about Pencils' art, where one random background element will have a ton more detail than everything else in a panel.

Overall, not a particularly interesting issue. Really, Sunset's cameo is indeed the only part worth checking out.

~~~

Rainbow Roadtrip will get a followup later, but first, here's what one calls a GIF you can hear.
    thumb.gif

(Even though that part of the special doesn't have a sound effect due to being in a song)

Curious to know if anyone has played this
    medium.jpeg

~~~

In the realm of official fan art, Bevin Brand is drawing commissions now, and I have to say, it's weird as hell seeing someone who worked on the show draw a commission for a fan blog where EQG Big Mac and Cadance marry and have a daughter. Not a bad weird, but weird. The below is Bevin's art.
    1.Said commission, colored by carouselunique (of Honeycrisp Tales)
    2.Original inks
    3.Aria Blaze X Sunset with graffiti
    4.Vignette Valencia X Gloriosa Daisy

And not official fan art at all, but I don't want a separate block for this. After that RariTwi comic I commissioned and posted in the Hangouts thread, I also got a sketch back from iojknmiojknm. I chose to have a sketch of Fluttershy dancing and howling from that Equestria Girls CYOA "The Last Drop.
    5.See above
    medium.png

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.png

EQG - Five Lines You Need to Stand In (YouTube)
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

This is still pretty fun.

Another video of Daniel Ingram covering one of his own songs. This is probably the best one so far.

And... episodes 15 and 16 are on a Chinese on-demand service in English. It looks like the rest of the season will come out this way. I do plan on creating a separate final episode thread, just like Adventure Time and Gumball got, but I'll wait for the US release. I'd say don't post about these episodes outside spoiler tags, but no one's even been talking about them in this thread (just Discord), so keep it up, I guess.

Rainbow Roadtrip followup coming later. Really I have all the time in the world (until the end of the month), but it should be ready tomorrow at latest.

EQG - The Road Less Scheduled
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    Alright, the new EQG short on Discovery Go features Fluttershy doing a thing, so time to actually watch it.

The Road Less Scheduled
    Celestia - This was alright. A hidden falafel cart every year seems like bad business. Celestia jokes to Twilight at the end that she should send her letters after every festival, but says nah, that would get old, looking right at the camera, which is cute.

Fluttershy - This was pretty good. It has this.
    small.png

While it's weird that Fluttershy is getting music suggestions from Vignette Valencia, I like it and that it's implied she actually did base her new look off her hologram from Rollercoaster of Friendship (only missing the bat hair decoration). Characters influencing each other's tastes is something we haven't actually seen much in all of G4, aside from Rainbow reading. It would be great to see more of that before the end.

Micro Chips - Turns out he's actually a DJ. (shrug)

And here's the one bit of fan art to come out of this already

The Road Less Scheduled - Fluttershy by charlieXe on DeviantArt
    medium.jpeg

As a reminder, US premieres resume Saturday with "Sunset's Backstage Pass", an EQG special involving time loops.

Comic - Friendship is Magic #80
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    Friendship is Magic #80
    This was a cute story involving the ponies LARPing, intercutting between the actual set that Pinkie put up and what the ponies imagine. It's initially kind of weird that Pinkie would ask the players to compete to get to the top first, but then they realize they have to work together and things work out. Not much too it really, and they don't do as much with the roleplaying as I would have liked, but it's decent enough. Images below from the official preview, not bothering to edit.

Screenshot_2019-07-24-11-56-01.png
    Screenshot_2019-07-24-11-56-23.png

One fun coincidence is that Fluttershy is a rogue here, specifically a thief, which is just what she was in our Tangerine World RPs, as Cuddlestrike. Other jokes are Applejack not bothering to dress up (because she's already in ranger gear in her mind), and Rarity deciding to just use the in-game name Rarity. Though I feel Rarity would definitely come up with an elaborate name.

fluttershy_narrate.png

The art was pretty good, but then Rarity winked and I remembered this was the same artist that somehow made a pony winking look ugly in that Zephyr Breeze issue. This is a story where Guided View is actually to its detriment, since it obfuscates a lot of the parallels between pages set in the real world and those in the imagination world, and at one point even shows Applejack failing at an action before she tries. But it is an oddly laid out page anyway.

numbered_phases.png

Silver Quill's review shows other things about the art that Guided View hid from me. Also reminded me of the odd moment of Applejack commanding animals with Rarity reacting as thought this is really happening (and accusing her of stealing Fluttershy's thing) but then there are no animals when cutting back to the real world.

~~~

Bevin Brand posted this detail about that one gay (male) background couple on her Tumblr:

What are your thoughts, and basically the team's thoughts on Curly Winds and Wizkid? Im so eager to know, cause ive been shipping them since Rainbow rocks!

As far as I know, those two have been shipped by every team since the first movie. Katrina and Ishi tended to tell new team members about them as our biggest unofficial Easter egg, and Jayson mentioned them as a pair he remembered from the earlier movies, so I think they're very common knowledge in the dhx crew. Everyone I knew loved tossing them in the background, and we got pretty excited when the hand holding and couple behavior made through s&p without being cut. So in short, they were widely shipped in the dhx crew.
    7 notes

Interesting to see it was so widespread.

~~~

About the CMC episode, I hope this happens
    unknown.png

Also, this is definitely going to involve the CMC voice actors using something closer to their natural voices. At the start of the show, they were more or less the ages that people assume the CMC were, but this would be a chance to use their "nine years later" voices.

EQG - Sunset's Backstage Pass
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    EQG - Sunset's Backstage Pass
    This was a pretty fun special, though predictable due to the novelization coming out well before we even knew there was an animated special for it to be based on. It's a shame some of the wackier loop endings I heard about are book original, but at least we got a, "Don't drive angry," moment with Sunset here. She's a horse, so it counts.

The big RETURN OF THE DAZZLINGS ™ turned out to be pretty underwhelming, just like Sunset and Celestia reuniting. They're a red herring, and we get a couple lines from them, but nothing more. It is interesting that they haven't full reformed, even if they aren't doing anything bad. Though really, ever since the Legends of Magic comics, I've felt that the best way to bring them back for a story would be to go into their relationship with Starswirl and Stygian. The comics depicted Stygian wondering if banishing them before understanding what they wanted is a good idea, but Starswirl thought they were too big a menace to reason with. It would have been great to see how a reformed Starswirl handled them returning to Equestria, and to see what would happen if Stygian actually did get a chance to talk things out. If you go back to Rainbow Rocks, they didn't really interact much with anyone. Even Sunset just had two scenes with them, and only one where she knew they were evil.

Also Rarity mentioned that "Find the Magic" is a weak song in-universe, so that explains why I found it eh in its music video >_>.

There was a load of Sunset and Pinkie interactions in this special, definitely reaching, "They're dating, right?" levels. I've mentioned before that Sunset's personality is hard to pin down other than her being a straightman that sometimes has a temper, and wouldn't you know it, that's the perfect person to have interact with Pinkie a lot! Pinkie had several annoying moments, but I thought they succeeded in still making you feel bad when Sunset ditched her or otherwise got frustrated. Overall, I thought both characters were handled well.

SMH at Sunset failing to do a perfect run in the final loop by not getting the security guard a kitten.

~~~

I've had to hold off on posting this even on Discord, due to unfortunate timing with the early Chinese airings (still no sign of episodes 21 and 22, BTW) preventing me from going into our spoiler channel, but here's Wubcake doing a dub of the oar ass slap scene.

(I haven't been able to find a clean version of the unedited scene on YouTube that wasn't uploaded by a guy that seemed like a creep)

~~~

And in sadder news,

Nick Confalone
    @nickconfalone
    Replying to
    @KTonarella
    and
    @whitneyralls
    It ended up being the final special all though we didn't know it would be at the time. We even had plans laid out for a season 2 finale special and a 3rd season, but things didn't work out...
    😥
    1:52 PM · Jul 27, 2019

So yup, this was actually the final EQG special. And this is a writer, so he wouldn't be affected by a move from DHX to Boulder Media on the animation end. It's a shame we won't get at least a graduation special, or even a special that has a proper, "And their journey continued." Instead, the last EQG content will be a random short.

This is probably the biggest thing in recent months to give me a real, "Oh shit, it's all about to end soon," feeling with G4.

Comic - October 2019 solicitations
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    October comic solicitations

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Comic #83
    (W) Thom Zahler (A/CA) Kate Sherron

STL131831.jpg

Twilight Sparkle receives a mysterious message about a missing turtle! Only it's not just any turtle-it's the most famed of racing turtles, Silver Blaze! With friendship on the line, it's up to Twilight and Spike (armed with deerstalker caps and capes) to solve the mystery before it's too late! Elementary, my dear fillies! It's a brand-new Pony mystery to solve! Get ready to solve a mystery-Sherlock Holmes-style!

My Little Pony: Feats of Friendship #3
    (W) Ian Flynn (A/CA) Tony Fleecs

(No cover yet?)

The Feats of Friendship comes to a close! But with the Young Six fighting and Swift Foot egging them on, things don't look good for their completing the fourth and final event-defeating a Hydra! Can friendship save the day, or will jealousy be the endgame?!

Bullet Points:

• Ian Flynn (Sonic the Hedgehog) finishes his My Little Pony debut!
    • Variant covers by Katie O'Neill, Eisner Award-winning author and artist of The Tea Dragon Society!
    Nice to see more Detective Twilight.

Looks like Swift Foot is indeed a villain. But Ian Flynn claimed there was something lore related about this series; I wonder how she ties into all this.

Discovery Family promo for new episodes, with a clip from "The Last Laugh"

As for the special, here are some screenshots. Art will come later.
    1.Pony Twilight's neat copy spell
    2.Pinkie and her Sunset replacement
    3.Supernova Zap showing off her art school skills
    4.Wallflower Blush in a new outfit, and Derpy with her Rarity-induced hairstyle from "Life is a Runway"
    5.Curly Winds and Wiz Kid being FRIENDS
    small.gif

medium.png

medium.png

small.jpeg

medium.png

1.Sunset and SciTwi dropping candy to catch Pinkie
    2.Sunset and Pinkie Magic Lesbian Powers Activate
    3.Sunset twirling Pinkie like the FRIENDS they are
    small.gif

small.gif

small.gif

That first GIF of the last set reminds me, I liked how the first and second loop were made different through SciTwi tagging along.

Comic - Feats of Friendship #1
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    Already filled in the gaps with previous Humble Bundles.

MLP: Feats of Friendship #1
    Before the previous miniseries even ends, we're starting this one, written by Ian Flynn. Twilight's school is holding a series of friendly competitions and the Student Six are a team of course, but Twilight introduces a transfer student into the group: Swift Foot. Sandbar immediately gets a crush on her, but she starts sowing discord among the rest of the group, leading to a reveal in the last panels.

Screenshot_2019-08-07-08-54-08.png

I thought this was a pretty good issue, especially in how it brings up things the students should rightly be upset about. From the fact that the ponies didn't bother to help the hippogriffs until after the Storm King attacked the ponies, to how no one bothered to learn how to speak Yak after Yona went through the effort of learning Ponish, to how no one brings Smolder gem snacks. Well, some more rightly than others. Still, they all felt like in-character reasons to get upset.

Screenshot_2019-08-07-08-58-59.png

This does all feel reminiscent of Cozy Glow in "What Lies Beneath", but oddly more individualized despite Swift Foot knowing them for less time (as far as we know). Still, Cozy was absent from that episode aside from the start and very end, while Swift Foot will be around the entire time. The fact that the Students are going to start fighting during a competition is reminiscent of Rainbow Rocks, and Swift's actions are like Sunset's in the first EQG but without the outright lies.

instill_doubt_yona.png

It's revealed at the end that Swift Foot is the Storm King's daughter and I'm curious how that would work.

The art was good. Yona especially has more moving parts (her fur and her blanket) depicted than either the comics before or the show. Swift Foot has a cute design. There were some people upset about Sandbar falling for her when the show has shipped him with Yona, but he's a teen colt. And of course, on surface level, that was always a story about just friendship.

yona_push_sandbar.png

Tony Fleecs has drawn for the comics before, but his stuff feels different now. That's almost certainly due to Lauren Perry providing the flat coloring, as noted in Silver Quill's review. I hadn't noticed all the digitally added details in the art, so I don't have the same problem he has.

Overall, I'm looking forward to the other two parts of this series.

~~~

Big Jim answered some questions a couple days ago, and here are the ones I want to highlight.

Full tweet chain in the quote block
    Rayve
    @RayveReviewsYT
    ·
    Aug 3
    What is something you wanted to do with MLP, but couldn't?

Big Jim
    @TheBiggestJim
    Replying to @RayveReviewsYT and @BronyCon
    A full, interconnected season of stories. We've done it subtly with key seasonal episodes, but one where every episode leads to the larger story. But honestly, we got to try a lot of what we wanted.
    6:56 PM · Aug 3, 2019·Twitter for iPad

Rayve
    @RayveReviewsYT
    ·
    Aug 3
    Replying to
    @TheBiggestJim and @BronyCon
    Was that a Hasbro decision, or was it some other reason?

Big Jim
    @TheBiggestJim
    ·
    Aug 3
    It's a combo. Hasbro was already concerned that the level of continuity made it difficult for new viewers to understand what's going on, not to mention it's a crap ton of work to write a season that way.

Though this is part of a tweet thread, I'm only including this last part.
    Mister Fantastic Super Handsome Strong As Steel
    @GreenRangerDon
    ·
    Aug 3
    Really now. I always assumed you guys would get a higher budget with each season.

Big Jim
    @TheBiggestJim
    Replying to @GreenRangerDon and @BronyCon
    The budget has been the same since S1.
    7:18 PM · Aug 3, 2019

So the budget of each season hasn't changed much if at all. This is honestly a big surprise to me, especially when you look at the improvements in art and animation from the first season. I suppose it really is just a matter of building off of what's already been made, and getting used to working on this show.

~~~

We got some more fan art from Bevin Brand that was made before she stopped working on the show, so it's going here. First is a long comic showing a cute moment between SciTwi and Timber. As a reminder, this is a couple that actually was heavily supported behind the scenes.

2111104.jpeg

And one image with Rarity, Applejack, and Aunt Orange, who I'm pretty sure hasn't been in EQG. And hasn't appeared in the show since season one, which goes to show people who worked on the show have their random pet characters too.

medium.jpeg

~~~

"The Last Laugh" stuff coming tomorrow.

2, 4, 6, Greaaat
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    2, 4, 6, Greaaat
    This is one of those episodes where everything was pretty great... except for the actual focus character. Rainbow was insufferable here, though I suppose less so than in "Grannies Gone Wild" and "Non-Compete Clause". But then again, this episode didn't have Applejack goading her, so this is the biggest example of her base level insufferability. Oh wait, forgot about "Spring Breakdown". She's probably better here than in that EQG special, since one can at least buy into Rainbow's logic here.

I liked the lessons here, both the main one about bringing enthusiasm to something you may not care about if you care about the people involved, and the one about not assuming that because you don't like something that means no one does and don't be such a wet blanket. And I loved seeing Twilight pull a Celestia at the end with teaching Rainbow a lesson being the intention of this all along, to Celestia's approval.

I was waiting for some reference to "Sonic Rainboom" and Rainbow trying to get Fluttershy to cheer for her, especially with Ocellus's problem being her softspokenness, and was surprised none appeared. Like this is the one moment they choose not to reference "Yay"? Hell, they could have mixed it up and done something like this scene from Blackadder.

I liked the new characters in this episode, with those two ponies apparently already going around everywhere in cheerleader uniforms and then changing into different ones for the routine. We got something I've wanted for a while: the Student Six being friends with someone other than themselves! Even if we don't see them talk with those other ponies outside of the cheer lessons, it's nice to see them together. I liked Yona, Ocellus, and Smolder here, and how this ties into Smolder's interest in girly things. I liked seeing some of Celestia's current Magic School students, which has always been an oddly unexplored element of the show. Good on a bunch of NERDS for winning against the School of Friendship's team. And how about that cheering from Celestia, huh? Clearly they won through fear.

Overall, I adored this episode outside of Rainbow being insufferable. Oh, and Snips wasn't too great either.

Comic - Spirit of the Forest #3 (end)
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    Spirit of the Forest #3 (end)
    And here ends a miniseries, after its replacement already started.

I enjoyed this issue for a healthy dose of good Diamond Tiara. It was nice to see her be the one to resolve the conflict here with her father.
    dt_puppy_eyes.png

This story has a nice speech about how if there isn't a spirit of the forest protecting it, then we (ponies and humans both) have to do it. Like I said before, I don't think we can rely on shaming each individual industrialist, though.
    dt_explain.png

The art here is really cute.
    cmc_dt_team_up.png

Overall, this miniseries was better than I expected, and worth checking out, I think. It isn't one I'd push hard, though.

Silver Quill's review doesn't add anything I want to bring up, I think.

~~~

Pretty good NPR article about Bronycon. It helps that the writer is a fan.

1.jpeg

Bunch of Flurry Hearts.

Burger%2BKing%2BMy%2BLittle%2BPony%2BTransformers%2Btoys.jpg

Those MLP toys look pretty nice. What is it with fast food chains getting oddly good looking MLP toys?

~~~

So the last normal story (barring a scheduling twist) seems to be about Big Mac proposing to Sugar Belle. It should be a fun story. Oddly, we still don't know what episode 23 is. Hopefully it's a Rarity episode.

Lastly, here's an odd one

This Polish site lists for September 22 a special called Equestria Girls: Holiday Unwrapped. In normal conditions, I wouldn't be shocked by this, but we were told there were no more specials after Sunset's Backstage Pass. However, it would make sense if this was made before SBP but was saved for closer to the holiday season.