• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I have (had?) an LG OLED65P that I bought in May 2016 that I have loved. It did get a small point of burn-in towards the top of the screen about a year ago or so, but was minor and something not worth the hassle of dealing with.

But this morning while playing a game (Suikoden II) the screen went black and did not come back. Although I could hear the game running in the background. I thought it might have been a handshake issue at first, as it has dropped out on occasion to a black screen, but will come back momentarily. However, didn't come back this time. After switching to my TV input (everything goes through my receiver) still the same. Could hear sound, no picture.

I turned the TV off, unplugged it for 30 seconds, plugged it back in and tried it again. I could tell it was trying to start up. I heard the click that it normally does when starting up, the light flashing at the bottom. But instead of getting a screen, blackness. It tried it again, same result. Kept attempting over and over until I shut off.

If I attempt it now, it just turns on as it would normally, but with no screen (doesn't keep trying).

Fortunately the TV is still under warranty and I submitted it. Very nice, but agent told me it will probably be a week and a half until she gets to it as she is so backed up. And then she will review for an authorized repair center within 25 miles of my location. If she can't find one, then I need to find one further out. But if they won't do a home visit, then I will need to go to them. And that would suck as the TV is massive.

Good thing my roommate has a TV in his room, which we are taking out to the living room to hold us over for now. Not as big or an OLED or 4K, but a decent 32" LCD.

I loved my TV, lasted only just over 4 years, but I did watch it a lot.

One thing I'm actually kind of concerned about is I had to do a hard shut down on my PS3, as I couldn't see the screen. It's a BC PS3 and still going strong. But I always get paranoid when those rare times I've had to do a hard shut down for that system, as the last time I had to take it into repair. (Although the console locked up).

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like you've got a new 65CX on the way. Congratulations!

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
How the heck is it still under warranty after 4 years? I have a B9 thats from like 2017, didn't sign up for any warranties but its still running ok... so far

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
Good call on the warranty. Sounds like it'll pay off for you.

Dying while playing Suikoden II is probably a good way to go.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
This seems like a great thread to ask and I didn't want to start my own:

I just bought a 2020 LGCX 65 inch and am debating back and forth getting the Best Buy 4 year comprehensive warranty as opposed to just sticking with the manufacturer 1 year. I saved 800 CAD on the TV overall as it was on sale (2800) but the 4 year warranty is 400.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Christ I wish either my 8 year old Panasonic or 12 year old Kuro plasmas would fail so I could buy a new OLED. But they're just too damn robust....

OP
OP
Hobbun

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, exactly same symptoms as ones you listed.

If mine is the same issue, I can see them wanting to fix it.

A few people on Era have had their LG OLEDs break and instead of a repair they just send a new TV.

It probably depends on whom is handling your warranty. If it's LG, they are more than likely just to give you a replacement with the newest version.

But this is a third party warranty place, so I can see them trying to make the repair. Especially if it's only the timing panel and the cost is only $300.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Christ I wish either my 8 year old Panasonic or 12 year old Kuro plasmas would fail so I could buy a new OLED. But they're just too damn robust....

My 2008 Panny plasma is still going strong, and still looks better than most cheaper TVs today. I want to upgrade to an OLED eventually, but the price is hard to justify.

nny

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry OP, It's worrisome how it can just suddenly go, and only after a few years. Hope you find a satisfying resolution to this hassle.

(was going to make a "ODED" joke, but don't want to poke fun at an unfortunate situation :| )

OP
OP
Hobbun

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
My 2008 Panny plasma is still going strong, and still looks better than most cheaper TVs today. I want to upgrade to an OLED eventually, but the price is hard to justify.

You don't know want to know how much I spent for my E6. And I bought it very soon after the TV was released.

The high end OLEDs are cheap to me now. CX goes for only around $2500 for the 65", which is the size I have.

Sorry OP, It's worrisome how it can just suddenly go, and only after a few years. Hope you find a satisfying resolution to this hassle.

(was going to make a "ODED" joke, but don't want to poke fun at an unfortunate situation :| )

Heh, no worries. :)

It 's weird with how silent it is here right now. But just glad it's under warranty. Main thing I'm concerned about is them not finding an authorized repair place within 25 miles that can come out to my place. I really don't want to take my TV to the location.

OP
OP
Hobbun

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
It was a 30 min fix and board was 4 screws and a flat wire...wish I would have known it was the issue and I would have fixed it myself ha.

I'd be happy with the fix, love my TV, small burn-in issue withstanding.

Just as I indicated above, my only concern is she might not be able to find someone within their 25 mile radius to come out. They still cover it, but then it falls on me to find an authorized place. And even take it to them if I have to (if they won't come out).

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017
I'd be happy with the fix, love my TV, small burn-in issue withstanding.

Just as I indicated above, my only concern is she might not be able to find someone within their 25 mile radius to come out. They still cover it, but then it falls on me to find an authorized place. And even take it to them if I have to (if they won't come out).
It was this board btw:

Sep 14, 2019

I just bought a 2020 LGCX 65 inch and am debating back and forth getting the Best Buy 4 year comprehensive warranty as opposed to just sticking with the manufacturer 1 year. I saved 800 CAD on the TV overall as it was on sale (2800) but the 4 year warranty is 400.

I'm curious about this as well.

I'm planning on buying an OLED next year and would appreciate someone answer their question.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Makes me happy I'm going with the cx from Costco since it includes a 5 year warranty for free

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
My 4K LG, not OLED, just died after only 4 years and a few months. Doing research I found a video on YT of the exact model with the exact same issue. Red light comes on, blinks twice and then nothing. Apparently it's a bad LED and the work it would take to replace is well beyond my means. First LG I've owned and honestly not sure I'll buy another. Never had a tv die so fast and threads like these just reinforce my desire to go with another brand. :(

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Good call on the warranty.

I opted to buy a warranty for something a grand total of once ever, when I got my PlayStation 3D display for $100. I bought it because those displays were incredibly notorious for overheating and dying, and the very low $100 price made the extra $25 or so for the warranty not a big deal.

Seven years later, it's still going strong, but no regrets from me.

OP
OP
Hobbun

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
My 4K LG, not OLED, just died after only 4 years and a few months. Doing research I found a video on YT of the exact model with the exact same issue. Red light comes on, blinks twice and then nothing. Apparently it's a bad LED and the work it would take to replace is well beyond my means. First LG I've owned and honestly not sure I'll buy another. Never had a tv die so fast and threads like these just reinforce my desire to go with another brand. :(

Is a bad LED associated with the timing panel? I don't know anything about TVs. lol

The question is are the newer OLED TVs more reliable in this regards? That's already been asked above. 4+ years is a big difference in advancement of electronics.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Always buy warranty for TV's, i remember the only time i didn't my tv died a few weeks after the manufacturer warranty expired, think about it this way. $400 for the warranty is a lot cheaper than paying a technician to come out and fix it. And if the tv can't be fixed you will get a gift card for the price you payed for the tv to get a new one.

NoneLikeAlex

Oct 27, 2017
Buy an extended warranty. My LG C9 OLED died a few months ago. Ended up being one of the boards, not the panel itself thank goodness because it would've taken an extra week to get fixed. It was still under warranty, but it made me question the overall quality of these LG OLEDs as I literally just game on it, and it's not like it's on constantly. Some days I don't turn it on at all.

LG sent a tech a week after the repair request, he looked at it, determined what parts he needed and overnighted them to my house. A few days later it was fixed.

One issue after it was fixed was the motion controls on the magic remote don't work anymore. I never used them and don't really care, but yeah.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Is a bad LED associated with the timing panel? I don't know anything about TVs. lol

The question is are the newer OLED TVs more reliable in this regards? That's already been asked above. 4+ years is a big difference in advancement of electronics.
I didn't see him mention anything like that in the video I was referring to about my TV. It seems like a pretty simple fix, for mine, but pulling it apart, finding the right LED (polarity I guess is a big coin flip) and having the tools needed are all a cost I'm not about to fork out for. With my luck I'd screw something up and be out even more money. And it's not much to replace something like this one today so that's what I'll prob just end up doing.

But video for reference below.

OP
OP
Hobbun

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't see him mention anything like that in the video I was referring to about my TV. It seems like a pretty simple fix, for mine, but pulling it apart, finding the right LED (polarity I guess is a big coin flip) and having the tools needed are all a cost I'm not about to fork out for. With my luck I'd screw something up and be out even more money. And it's not much to replace something like this one today so that's what I'll prob just end up doing.

But video for reference below.

I hear what you are saying, I would be in the same boat. Trying to make the repair on the TV isn't something I would try to do, however simple it may be to do.

It sounds like a bad timing panel and bad LED could give the same symptoms (or are from the same problem).

OP
OP
Hobbun

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Well, moved my roommate's TV out to the living room and everything is hooked up and working well (PS3 is fine, thank you). His TV, as mentioned above, is a 32" LCD and it takes some adjustment to the size. But thanked him for taking his out of his room to use for the main one in the living room, at least for now.

One good thing about the smaller TV is whether my TV is repaired or replaced, it's going to feel like a new TV again. It's funny how you get used to a 65".

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
The 55" LCD I just replaced was used about 40-50hrs/wk for almost 10 years. Just upgraded, but I don't want to get rid of it, as it works perfectly still...they don't make them like they used to, I guess.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
This is why I'm buying one of the Sony OLEDs. I've had LG and Samsung TV's in the past and they just aren't built to last. On the contrast, I've never had a Sony TV break in over 20 years.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In related news, I just spent a half hour being bounced around the LG Premium Care phone line trying to figure out if screen burn-in is covered by the LG Premium Care warranty when the manufacturer's warranty ends. No one could give me a straight answer.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Is it normal for an OLED to die in 4 years?
This is why I'm buying one of the Sony OLEDs. I've had LG and Samsung TV's in the past and they just aren't built to last. On the contrast, I've never had a Sony TV break in over 20 years.
I have a Sony LED for years and is great for this gen, but next gen I have to go with a LG OLED since Sony OLEDs don't have HDMI 2.1 and no variable refresh rate -.-

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
In related news, I just spent a half hour being bounced around the LG Premium Care phone line trying to figure out if screen burn-in is covered by the LG Premium Care warranty when the manufacturer's warranty ends. No one could give me a straight answer.
From experience: go through their customer service email portal. Have pictures at the ready. Had zero issues getting things resolved that way. Phone support is badly misinformed and has little power to do much. Email, for whatever reason, gets routed to those that can help you best. I had really good experiences with LG before and it is exclusively with the email.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
From experience: go through their customer service email portal. Have pictures at the ready. Had zero issues getting things resolved that way. Phone support is badly misinformed and has little power to do much. Email, for whatever reason, gets routed to those that can help you best. I had really good experiences with LG before and it is exclusively with the email.
They cover screen burn-in on the extended warranty? I'm considering a purchase, just want to make sure. It's hard to find concrete information.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017

My VT30 from 2011 crapped out earlier this year which forced me to go out and buy an OLED as a replacement, so it could still happen lol

nawtt

Nov 7, 2017

Get the Geek Squad warranty, it's possible they can offer you a deal on it. I recently purchased a Sony A8H and they gave me a four year warranty for $200

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really worried about my C9 dying because I didn't get it from one of LG's authorized retailer, and I fear they won't help me