• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AngryPuppy

Oct 27, 2017
You look at the changing wallpapers with no input, it should now have a INPUT bubble floating around the screen. Our old panels did not have this. The tech guy told me it was easier for them to just give us BXs instead of B9s. I know it is a BX because the CXs are apparently with banding issues or black spots near corners during darker colors. I bet you if you check the gray bending test. Itll be perfect for you.

Brightness can be better in some areas, (worse than others). Other than that I noticed motion processing improvement on the settings i had. It looks amazing though. I am happy

(Make sure the take off the sticker layer on the back of the panel as well so it doesnt warm the back).

J6V8ywQ.jpg

Is this what you mean? And thanks for the tip about the back sticker, hadn't realised that was on there.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Full Disclosure: I work at Best Buy, although not in the Home Theater department.

I recommend it. I think a majority of the warranties we offer aren't necessary but worth it based on the value proposition, but OLEDs are one of the only times I think it's irresponsible not to push for it. We cover burn-in, and if we can't fix it we'll replace it with a new panel or an equivalent TV, which depending on the time scale of when you need to have it fixed could be an upgrade. I'm at Customer Service and we have quite a bit of leeway with the system. You'd most likely be dealing with Geek Squad, but they have just as much access if you talk with them about what you'd like if you need a new TV.

Yep. This is why I spent the extra $350 for the 5-year warranty on my CX 48" through Best Buy. I want to be prepared in-case anything were to happen.

OP
OP
Hobbun

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Another update.

My warranty company approved the repair, so I will be getting my TV back (instead of reimbursement). The repair place told me that it will be dropped off tomorrow, which is fine.

My dilemma is now whether I still decide to upgrade to a new TV. I was really hoping the warranty company would deny the repair and reimburse me instead and I could buy a new TV. But as they will not do so, I am still debating on upgrading to the CX.

I have an E6, which I love the TV, I know the CX has a number of additional benefits as well as future-proofing me for another 4+ years (and hopefully longer). I am also not sure what the environment will be a couple of years from now on televisions, especially the impact of COVID. Also, where I don't plan on buying a PS5 for a bit yet, having a tv that has 2.1 will truly be beneficial. Also, the LG line has an excellent sale going on right now that is hard to pass up.

The drawbacks. Of course the obvious I will be purchasing the TV instead being covered under the warranty. There is also that recent issues reported with the VRR that can't seem to be fixed with software and will need to be resolved with a new model.

Right now I'm a bit undecided, but I know I don't have a lot of time as I believe the sale goes on until the 21st of this month.

Am I missing anything? Anything anyone else wishes to add on recommendations or suggestions on what they feel is best?

OP
OP
Hobbun

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, a big update today.

They dropped off my TV today, as I indicated the repair was made. However, when firing up the TV and taking a look, there was something obviously wrong. It appeared like I was looking through a screen door with various areas all over the screen with lines. It honestly looked like it was scuffed up.

Both techs saw it right away as well and agreed. Now I know there is the 'screen door effect' with darker backgrounds. I've experienced it on my OLED and see it on my roommate's LCD, as well. But these lines were always there, even on bright backgrounds, which I've never seen that effect before. Even tested it on 4K content on Youtube and saw the same.

Pictures were sent back to the repair place and they were talking with the repairman who replaced my part (I think he's the manager) and immediately said it's a bad panel. So they took the TV back and will need to open it up, but indicated I will most likely be reimbursed.

I did speak with the repair person (whom I've been dealing with often) and he said it had looked great the last few days and all the way up to before it left for delivery this morning. So something happened during their runs? Bizarre.

Next step they are going to confirm what happened and report it to the warranty company, but if it's a bad panel like they believe it is, it would be a $2000 replacement. That would definitely get me a new TV.

Now I just have to worry the warranty company will get back to me before the LG sale ends, which I believe is the 21st.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Ok, a big update today.

They dropped off my TV today, as I indicated the repair was made. However, when firing up the TV and taking a look, there was something obviously wrong. It appeared like I was looking through a screen door with various areas all over the screen with lines. It honestly looked like it was scuffed up.

Both techs saw it right away as well and agreed. Now I know there is the 'screen door effect' with darker backgrounds. I've experienced it on my OLED and see it on my roommate's LCD, as well. But these lines were always there, even on bright backgrounds, which I've never seen that effect before. Even tested it on 4K content on Youtube and saw the same.

Pictures were sent back to the repair place and they were talking with the repairman who replaced my part (I think he's the manager) and immediately said it's a bad panel. So they took the TV back and will need to open it up, but indicated I will most likely be reimbursed.

I did speak with the repair person (whom I've been dealing with often) and he said it had looked great the last few days and all the way up to before it left for delivery this morning. So something happened during their runs? Bizarre.

Next step they are going to confirm what happened and report it to the warranty company, but if it's a bad panel like they believe it is, it would be a $2000 replacement. That would definitely get me a new TV.

Now I just have to worry the warranty company will get back to me before the LG sale ends, which I believe is the 21st.
Why are they even moving this set back and forth. My panel replacement took place in the room of the tv. As have others. Boxing up a set and unboxing and reboxing it after a panel replacement is always eh.

The tech is supposed to replace it in your room in front of you , It literally takes 10-15 minutes. If it takes an hour or more, there is an issue. Unscrews the bits from the other set, puts them on the new panel, screws them in quick, double checks 6 internal inputs via a mental checklist, and pops the back back on. Then me and him lift it and put it on the stand again.

OP
OP
Hobbun

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Why are they even moving this set back and forth. My panel replacement took place in the room of the tv. As have others. Boxing up a set and unboxing and reboxing it after a panel replacement is always eh.

The tech is supposed to replace it in your room in front of you , It literally takes 10-15 minutes. If it takes an hour or more, there is an issue. Unscrews the bits from the other set, puts them on the new panel, screws them in quick, double checks 6 internal inputs via a mental checklist, and pops the back back on. Then me and him lift it and put it on the stand again.

Because that's how they handle their repairs, apparently. Take it back to their location. There is no boxing or unboxing, though. They just take the TV out itself.

But I agree, when I had a Sony SXRD (now that's a call back), they replaced the part that was causing the issue for the green tinting (a known issue for this TV) and did it right in my living room. Why this place does it back at their location, couldn't tell you.

However, I am guessing there won't be a repair done here and I will probably be reimbursed.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Because that's how they handle their repairs, apparently. Take it back to their location. There is no boxing or unboxing, though. They just take the TV out itself.

But I agree, when I had a Sony SXRD (now that's a call back), they replaced the part that was causing the issue for the green tinting (a known issue for this TV) and did it right in my living room. Why this place does it back at their location, couldn't tell you.

However, I am guessing there won't be a repair done here and I will probably be reimbursed.
It sounds fishy to be quite honest. Are they worried that they will break it in front of you? Do they not have experience? Was it a lie that it looked good "a few days ago"? Are we sure they even used a new LG panel? Maybe they take it from you so you dont see the panel they put on. Didnt LG back you up as far as these being LG certified?, These are rhetorical, don't answer them.

It just sounds weird a bit all around. I hope it works out for you and I hope you keep pushing for either money back or a legit replacement where you turn it on and it is perfect.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
OP, it sounds like the motherboard in your TV may have died. Same thing happened to my parents OLED (it started with a broken HDMI port from a power surge, few months later the whole thing died). Bought a replacement board off ebay and getting it up and running again was a 30 minute job. Doesn't require you to be tech savvy, just comfortable plugging things back in where they go. Only challenge is needing an old smart phone or something with an ir blaster so that you can use a specific app to get the "new tv" out of showroom mode (replacing that board is like buying a new computer).

Of course, I can't be too sure that's the problem, but it seems more likely than the whole display going for no real reason.

EDIT: reading recent updates now makes me realize this probably isn't the case, oops. Sorry OP, hope you can get it sorted soon.

OP
OP
Hobbun

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds fishy to be quite honest. Are they worried that they will break it in front of you? Do they not have experience? Was it a lie that it looked good "a few days ago"? Are we sure they even used a new LG panel? Maybe they take it from you so you dont see the panel they put on. Didnt LG back you up as far as these being LG certified?, These are rhetorical, don't answer them.

It just sounds weird a bit all around. I hope it works out for you and I hope you keep pushing for either money back or a legit replacement where you turn it on and it is perfect.

To be clear, the panel wasn't replaced. They replaced the TCONN(?). To summarize again, my screen went black and didn't come back, and it was determined it be the TCONN. When talking to him on the phone, he said it looked great. And if they were trying to be sneaky the delivery guys would have tried to leave ASAP. However, they made sure to stick around until we turned the TV on and I was able to test it out and was happy with it, which is when we found out the issues I noted above.

And the TV is under warranty so I have no concerns. Where we are at is pictures and a report are going to be sent to the warranty company tomorrow indicating the panel is bad (which was not the original report) and I will likely be reimbursed.

OP, it sounds like the motherboard in your TV may have died. Same thing happened to my parents OLED (it started with a broken HDMI port from a power surge, few months later the whole thing died). Bought a replacement board off ebay and getting it up and running again was a 30 minute job. Doesn't require you to be tech savvy, just comfortable plugging things back in where they go. Only challenge is needing an old smart phone or something with an ir blaster so that you can use a specific app to get the "new tv" out of showroom mode (replacing that board is like buying a new computer).

Of course, I can't be too sure that's the problem, but it seems more likely than the whole display going for no real reason.

EDIT: reading recent updates now makes me realize this probably isn't the case, oops. Sorry OP, hope you can get it sorted soon.

Yeah, I'm hoping to get an update tomorrow sometime from the warranty company on what they decide.

OP
OP
Hobbun

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I just pulled the trigger on the CX65. Got word from the warranty company yesterday I will get $2000 as a settlement for my broken E6. I had the option to either get a replacement or go with the settlement. I knew I already wanted the settlement as it gave me more flexibility, but asked what replacement they would give as I was curious. The replacement TV was an E8 from 2018. Yeah...glad I took the settlement. I'm sure the E8 was a good TV for it's time, but would much prefer a new one and especially with the upgrades the CX has.

I went ahead and purchased the TV for now as it will take 45 business days to receive the check (!).

Only thing that irritates me is their shipping. It is free, but delivery is only "inside the door". It was the same when I purchased my E6 in 2016, I had hoped maybe they upgraded that by now. Problem is I live on the 3rd floor in a condominium building. When my E6 the driver was nice enough to take it upstairs (with my help). I hope same will happen here.