• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
First-world problem warning: this threatd contains a healthy dose of consumer entitlement. If you're allergic, turn back now.

A couple of months ago, I posted about my Switch experiencing SD card issues. After some research, I concluded that the SD reader was busted.

A few weeks ago, and after Nintendo Support resumed business, I called their line to report the issue. The rep confirmed that my Switch is still under warranty and that the repair service would free of charge. At that point, sending my device sounded like a no-brainer, yet I still didn't waste any time expressing (at least twice) my deep concern about potentially losing my Animal Crossing progress. I've logged 200+ hours into the game, and as some of you may remember, Nintendo decided to not support the game with Cloud Saves. The rep gave me the usual "I understand your concern" and offered a generic "it shouldn't be a problem." I honestly don't hold a grudge against that person, as they were doing their job and probably following a script.

A few days later, I received the return label and shipped my device, and today I finally got it back. When I opened the box, I instantly realized that they exchanged my Switch (the invoice cited the exchange and Serial In & Out numbers). I thought to myself "that's okay, they hopefully performed a system data transfer." But then I found Nintendo's "post-repair instructions," and the following checkbox was checked: "Due to the malfunction, we were unable to recover any data." My heart fucking sank. I booted the console, and sure enough, it greeted me with the first-time initialization process.

The device was wiped clean, and I lost all my AC progress. I'm, like, *beyond* pissed at this point. I can't get myself to restart the game from scratch. The game is useless to me now.

My main complaints can be summarized as:
  1. Why would an SD card issue, for an otherwise fully functional device, prevent a system data transfer? Isn't that done with WiFi?
  2. Why, oh fucking why, did Nintendo make the *stupid* decision of not supporting cloud saves for AC? Doesn't the risk of data loss outweigh their concerns about hacking or whatever?
I feel like putting on a Karen wig and finger wagging at someone. I'm so frustrated. ;____;

Last edited:

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I have already determined that if anything happens to the switch, this sumbitch isn't getting fixed till Nintendo releases something to save our AC island :s We're at 300+ and this is her first AC. We've put in so much work and effort to this.

I feel your pain, it fucking sucks ass.

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i don't even understand the argument of not having cloud saves cause of hackers in animal crossing. People are going to hack to create the perfect layout for their little town or whatever? so what? why do they care so much? theres no achievements or anything anyway

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo NEEDS cloud saves for Animal Crossing asap.

They mentioned them back in the February AC direct. Or some way to recover your save due to a lost switch, etc.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
See this is exactly why I refused to send my switch in for a fan repair. I'll live with the noise it makes

the bad part is the AC save can't even be transferred, so Nintendo would HAVE to repair your switch if you want to keep your save.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
with all these people time traveling and item duping.. have they given any relevant reason why ACNH doesn't support their paid cloud functionality?

it's not even exploitable

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
My game froze back when I was on about 30-40 hours and I was most likely not going to carry on playing if it had deleted my saved data, luckily it was fine. Now that I'm at about 250 hours I definitely wouldn't go back, I would be so bummed. That sucks.

OP
OP
Jinfash

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Like, if someone had contacted me and told me they'd wipe it clean I would have *paid* them money to ship it back. 😅😭

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
My fiancee would probably have a heart attack if this happened to her. Nintendo must give us an option to back up AC data.

OP
OP
Jinfash

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to the club. I lost only 60 hours...
tumblr_nc1x2nZTyb1trzuz5o2_500.gif

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I thought even with a system transfer the AC save doesn't move. So there was nothing they could've done here, aside from repairing your existing console or uh... supporting cloud saves or transfers for AC.

doublejon

Jan 10, 2018
My launch Switch bricked back in November of 2017 (still have no idea how or why), but that was pre-cloud saves, so when I got my Switch back from Nintendo I lost everything. I was working on koroks and was the post-story moons in Odyssey. I can't bring myself to play BotW or SMO. I'm probably try BotW again but man it really sucks.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sucks but once the anger subsides just start again, maybe you can start the game 2 weeks prior to the present and speed through the beginning? Also I'd be happy to help you out with a few items/DIYs/hybrid flowers that are a pain to get. I'm sure others in the OT would be as well.

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I get no NSO cloud save for AC:NH because the world is linked to your console, not your user. But they desperately need to implement a seperate cloud save feature ASAP.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I already talked to my daughters about this kind of issue. Basically, they both said if their saves with 300+ hours are lost, they are done with Nintendo.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Nov 4, 2017
This is exactly why I won't buy AC. It's bullshit.

Also the lack of system transfer doesn't surprise me; your device was probably swapped with another refurb/repair job so they may never have been in the same place in order to facilitate a transfer.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes, sorry bro, that really sucks and imo you are not being unreasonable nor a Karen :(

But yeah, sadly there's nothing that can be done about it at this point

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For a game like animal crossing, preventing situations like this is more important than preventing hackers. Animal crossing isn't a competitive game. Wtf.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I already talked to my daughters about this kind of issue. Basically, they both said if their saves with 300+ hours are lost, they are done with Nintendo.

I have two niece's (ages 8 & 10) that each play Animal Crossing 20+ hours a week and it is a fucking disgrace that they have no way to recover their data if something were to happen to their console.

Games

Oct 27, 2017
At least you can rest easily knowing the sanctity of Animal Crossing has not been sullied. People haven't figured out exploits to earn millions of bells in minutes, they don't skip days, months, and years to gain huge advantages. Your sacrifice was not in vain.

OP
OP
Jinfash

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
The last AC I played was the DS entry. But this was the first time I took it seriously.

I even used the 3D island planner to redesign my island based on awesome ideas I found online. 😔

Sucks but once the anger subsides just start again, maybe you can start the game 2 weeks prior to the present and speed through the beginning? Also I'd be happy to help you out with a few items/DIYs/hybrid flowers that are a pain to get. I'm sure others in the OT would be as well.
Thank you so much. Someone already reached out via PM offering millions of bells to rebuild. It's so heartwarming to see this side of the player-base. 🥰

I give it some time and consider coming back after a few updates. Hopefully by then they'll have a solution for this scenario.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry op. That is the exact same repair note they listed on my completely dead switch. I'm pretty sure they don't even try to transfer saves anymore.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
They don't provide cloud save for their games and they doln't backup customer data ? Tha's... a bummer. I hope I won't ever have to send my Switch for repair

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Honest to god that just sounds very infuriating. I remember worrying sick back in early 2010s when my precious Wii was sent in due to the Mario Kart channel somehow murdering my disc drive during a race. I was sick with worry of losing all my saves and VC titles, to the point I stuffed several printed-out papers with a bunch of warnings about how they should NOT erase the data under any circumstances, otherwise they must call my home number. Somehow, that got them to keep my saves despite transferring everything to a new wii system.

I did the same thing when my 3DS Circle Pad drifted back in late 2011, and I got it fixed with all data intact. (only an activity log glitch remained where some odd ????? titles were on the activity log for some weird testing, but I didn't know what they were) That being said, my New 3DS XL D-pad drifts for some reason, and I do not feel safe sending that in since I have way way more valuable save data on my microsd now, and I just want to try and fix it myself with a toothbrush/contact cleaner. What i'd give to cloud save on that system...

But for the Switch? Yeah, there's ZERO excuse for them to not transfer your data unless AC was literally the only game you had for it. The system transfer brings over literally everything else but Animal Crossing, even Pokemon and Splatoon save data: the fact they didn't even bother to do it with anything is just insulting to me to be honest, and makes me think I might as well just buy a second switch if my first starts having issues, so I can do the transfer myself with zero risk losing the saves. But if I end up buying AC, then I'll end up losing my island anyhow due to the stupid save system. I'd still rather lose AC than my Pokemon saves though. At least HOME is a reliable cloud backup for mons but I did complete the dexes and get all the major items done, so I wouldn't want to do that again...

First-world problem warning: this threat contains a healthy dose of consumer entitlement. If you're allergic, turn back now.

A couple of months ago, I posted my Switch experiencing SD card issues. After some research, I concluded that the SD reader was busted.

A few weeks ago, and after Nintendo Support resumed business, I called their line to report the issue. The rep confirmed that my Switch is still under warranty and that the repair service would free of charge. At that point, sending my device sounded like a no-brainer, yet I still didn't waste any time expressing (at least twice) my deep concern about potentially losing my Animal Crossing progress. I've logged 200+ hours into the game, and as some of you may remember, Nintendo decided to not support the game with Cloud Saves. The rep gave me the usual "I understand your concern" and offered a generic "it shouldn't be a problem." I honestly don't hold a grudge against that person, as they were doing their job and probably following a script.

A few days later, I received the return label and shipped my device, and today I finally got it back. When I opened the box, I instantly realized that they exchanged my Switch (the invoice cited the exchange and Serial In & Out numbers). I thought to myself "that's okay, they hopefully performed a system data transfer." But then I found Nintendo's "post-repair instructions," and the following box was check: "Due to the malfunction, we were unable to recover any data." My heart fucking sank. I booted the console, and sure enough, it greeted me with the first-time initialization process.

The device was wiped clean, and I lost all my AC progress. I'm, like, *beyond* pissed at this point. I can't get myself to restart the game from scratch. The game is useless to me at this point.

My main complaints can be summarized as:
  1. Why would an SD card issue prevent, for an otherwise fully functional device, prevent a system data transfer? Isn't that done with WiFi?
  2. Why, oh fucking why, did Nintendo make the *stupid* decision of not supporting cloud saves for AC? Doesn't the risk of data loss outweigh their concerns about hacking or whatever?
I feel like putting on a Karen wig and finger wagging at someone. I'm so frustrated. ;____;

Honestly, I just wish there was something more to tell you. I do want to know though, did you have any other saves on that system? Or NSO? if so, how were they, did those cloud compatible games back up fine? I will say though, that unfortunately you are right in that the cs reps know jack about what they need to do. It's handled by some california repair company Nintendo sends stuff to (Millitec? Miliec? I can't remember but it's something like that IIRC), and they pretty much do things kinda-separate from anything CS would know about, so thus I doubt they were told to keep your saves. :(

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
I'm with you OT except my switch got stolen and I lost a similar amount of time. RIP I feel for you.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've watched and been apart of Nintendo's ludicrous decisions "to be different" for the past 25+ years yet the no AC cloud saves (especially as you have to pay for it) remains one of their biggest ever fuck ups to date. This fucking company sometimes...

Sorry OP. Hopefully one day you feel ready to start a new Island!

OP
OP
Jinfash

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Honest to god that just sounds very infuriating. I remember worrying sick back in early 2010s when my precious Wii was sent in due to the Mario Kart channel somehow murdering my disc drive during a race. I was sick with worry of losing all my saves and VC titles, to the point I stuffed several printed-out papers with a bunch of warnings about how they should NOT erase the data under any circumstances, otherwise they must call my home number. Somehow, that got them to keep my saves despite transferring everything to a new wii system.

I did the same thing when my 3DS Circle Pad drifted back in late 2011, and I got it fixed with all data intact. (only an activity log glitch remained where some odd ????? titles were on the activity log for some weird testing, but I didn't know what they were) That being said, my New 3DS XL D-pad drifts for some reason, and I do not feel safe sending that in since I have way way more valuable save data on my microsd now, and I just want to try and fix it myself with a toothbrush/contact cleaner. What i'd give to cloud save on that system...

But for the Switch? Yeah, there's ZERO excuse for them to not transfer your data unless AC was literally the only game you had for it. The system transfer brings over literally everything else but Animal Crossing, even Pokemon and Splatoon save data: the fact they didn't even bother to do it with anything is just insulting to me to be honest, and makes me think I might as well just buy a second switch if my first starts having issues, so I can do the transfer myself with zero risk losing the saves. But if I end up buying AC, then I'll end up losing my island anyhow due to the stupid save system. I'd still rather lose AC than my Pokemon saves though. At least HOME is a reliable cloud backup for mons but I did complete the dexes and get all the major items done, so I wouldn't want to do that again...

Honestly, I just wish there was something more to tell you. I do want to know though, did you have any other saves on that system? Or NSO? if so, how were they, did those cloud compatible games back up fine? I will say though, that unfortunately you are right in that the cs reps know jack about what they need to do. It's handled by some california repair company Nintendo sends stuff to (Millitec? Miliec? I can't remember but it's something like that IIRC), and they pretty much do things kinda-separate from anything CS would know about, so thus I doubt they were told to keep your saves. :(
Yeah, I had everything else backed up via NSO and they downloaded just fine. Honestly, I love the idea of stuffing papers with warnings in the box before shipping it. I'll do that for all my future repairs lol.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo is ass-backwards in the most frustrating ways ... I'm genuinely sorry for your lost save OP.

EDIT: And being pissed about this isn't over-entitlement—Nintendo designed this game to be one players invest a lot of time and care into. They have the means to ensure this stuff is safeguarded, at least much better than it currently is. They need to do something about it

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, I had everything else backed up via NSO and they downloaded just fine. Honestly, I love the idea of stuffing papers with warnings in the box before shipping it. I'll do that for all my future repairs lol.

At least that still works: But yeah, that and the fact all the content isn't out yet are the main reasons I'm holding off on AC for now. I just don't like the lack of cloud/local saves