• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
My sd card reader just went bust and I'm really afraid to get it repaired because obviously Nintendo could give a fuck less.

Really shitty of them, guess I am stuck deleting games off my switch to play new ones.

Ricky

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
If your warranty expired, can you pay Nintendo to repair your Switch? I have a Switch from 2017 that just stopped working. I tried fixing it by watching some YT videos but couldn't get it to turn on.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
honestly, and i mean this genuinely, sucks ass. nintendo should do better. i don't think this is 'consumer over entitlement' at all

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Their reasoning for not offering Cloud saves is so stupid. A duping method was discovered day 1. I talked with people who found out how to hack in items day 2-3(I was trading with someone on gamefaqs and they had tons of golden flowers when they didn't even unlock town hall yet). The economy of the game was messed up from the get go and right now things go for super inflated prices (100+ NMT).

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the many reasons that I can't support Nintendo anymore...

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is nightmare fuel for me and so fucking stupid on Nintendo's part to not support cloud saves for a game that requires so much time investment.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry to hear that OP. That MEGA SUCKS.

I'd be really pissed off too. I don't have as many hours as that, but I have "170 hours or more" and I just started playing In June. I put hundreds and hundreds of hours into Wild World and New Leaf though.

If I lost a save because I screwed up somehow I would be heartbroken. If I lost a save after sending in my console for repair I'd be livid and I doubt I could find the motivation to play another one again (I still played WIld World years after I was deep into New Leaf because I need just ONE MORE painting, and I could never get it).

I have to pay for NSO (family plan) so I can play Animal Crossing with my niece (she's on my family plan), but it's so.... "bad" I feel almost guilty for paying for it. Like I'm doing something wrong or something, even if it is only like 35 dollars a year.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
Yup, Nintendo are a bunch of pricks regarding this sort of stuff. Still barse ackwards with almost everything cloud based.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo is the most frustrating game company. They make amazing games but then, boom. They make the dumbest mistake possible and part of the game is ruined.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Forget cloud saves, you can't backup your save in any fashion, right? It's absolutely absurd. My girlfriend will go on a rampage if she ever loses her island due to some corruption or hardware issue.

Savii

Apr 9, 2018
That's a huge bummer OP. I've put in over 300 hours and would be really sad if I lost my island. If you start playing AC again you should let era/other AC communities know as plenty of players will be happy to help you out. I'd happily give you bells, hybrid flowers, fossils, etc!

Oct 26, 2017
with all these people time traveling and item duping.. have they given any relevant reason why ACNH doesn't support their paid cloud functionality?

it's not even exploitable

The one thing I think might be screwy though I'm not sure, is if someone let a person visit to invite a villager to move to their island, and then person that had the villager move out restores from a cloud save to right before letting someone invite that villager.

The game has a bit of a persistent nature to it, so that may be what is holding things up. I don't know. One fix would be to make it account based and every time the game saves that is tied to your account, Nintendo has experience in this realm with games like FE Heroes, Dragalia Lost, and even Pocket Camp. All of those games are saved locally until linked with a Nintendo account and then whatever progress is made is saved via your account.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
No way that I would ever start over in Animal Crossing: New Horizons. I'm 110 hours in.

At least I would get close to full value for selling it back.

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
A friend of mine decided to give Animal Crossing a try despite reluctance about a very laid-back game. His save got corrupted at some point when he started up the game for the swimming update, and now he has lost interest in playing the series any longer.

Nintendo's fear of cheaters is ridiculous in a game where the only threat when meeting others is feeling FOMO. They're really only making fans and customers feel disheartened when losing their saves.

I'm sorry to hear you lost your save too, OP. You might think you feel too entitled about this, but in this case, you have good reason to when Nintendo is this stuck-up about something that can't really plague Animal Crossing fans.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017
Isn't a AC:NH save something like a gigabyte in size? I feel like the lack of cloud saves could be Nintendo not wanting to transmit, store and replicate 20tb of AC saves. Uploading such a save over wifi all the time also sounds like an invitation for corruption and time outs.

OP
OP
Jinfash

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't a AC:NH save something like a gigabyte in size? I feel like the lack of cloud saves could be Nintendo not wanting to transmit, store and replicate 20tb of AC saves. Uploading such a save over wifi all the time also sounds like an invitation for corruption and time outs.
I could be totally off but I don't remember the save file being close to that size.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is bass ackwards as fuck with shitty customer service (by design, rather than by fault of the front line employees) and there's no excusing it. Sorry for you animal crossing save.

Jun 5, 2020
A friend of mine decided to give Animal Crossing a try despite reluctance about a very laid-back game. His save got corrupted at some point when he started up the game for the swimming update, and now he has lost interest in playing big the series any longer.

Nintendo's fear of cheaters is ridiculous in a game where the only threat when meeting others is feeling FOMO. They're really only making fans and customers feel disheartened when losing their saves.

I'm sorry to hear you lost your save too, OP. You might think you feel too entitled about this, but in this case, you have good reason to when Nintendo is this stuck-up about something that can't really plague Animal Crossing fans.
If they really have this big fear of cheaters, they should have confirmed the current time and date to you when you first started the game and locked you in at whatever time and date you specified. Problem solved.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After 435 hours, if this shit happened to me, I'd never touch AC again.

Payed for Nintendo Online, a year subscription, just to eventually get cloud save for AC.

Come to think of it, I'm a fucking idiot, but at least it was cheap.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Man that's insane. With the crazy hours people are putting into AC it's mind boggling that this is a thing. I'd probably break down and cry out of frustration if I lost 300+ hours of game time. 😂

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I had the same issue with the card reader

www.resetera.com

Switch not detecting SD card

READ THREADMARK FOR SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM Original Post: Tried a 128gb Samsung card last year when they were cheap but it would constantly error as disconnected during play - usually from something as simple as my hand resting on the back of the unit. Card worked in all other devices (pc and...

The reader was probably just not seated well. I re-seated mine, but a year+ later it's doing it again. I may have to open it up again.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Animal crossing has so many dumb ass decisions around it. Actually baffled it reviewed as well as it did

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
I'm hoping the dream suite makes a comeback and works the same as in New Leaf. If you had an active dream address, it was like a backup of your save. Hackers could extract your town and insert the save into a new cartridge.

AngelSkye

Jul 25, 2018
I feel that whatever this Save Data transfer function they were working on. it should have been there Day 1.
It's already July, and there's barely any news (short of a datamine that references it exists) on it. And with local transfers to another Switch disabled, this is extremely annoying.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
If it's fixable like the fan or SD card reader, I'll do it myself. I'm not trusting Nintendo with it unless I can transfer my profile.

Honestly, if anyone wants to know, I'll help you out, it's pretty easy to do. SD card reader just requires unscrewing screws and then popping the SD card reader out, it's totally separate from the system, which is why it's extremely weird they had to replace the Switch. I guess it could have been the pins on the motherboard side, then that becomes a lot more complicated.

Dunno why they couldn't transfer the saves like you said though, I could've done it easily. Just set up the other switch with an empty profile, press transfer and take over that profile with the other.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I'd send them a strongly worded email.

I was originally gonna note that this was a silly idea, and they'd never do it, but... I do remember some cases on reddit/NOA's support forums where people were promised their saves would be intact during repair, they weren't, and so they got mad and called NOA CS to talk to a supervisor about a solution/compensation for the lost data. I swore I remember reading that people were at least able to get compensation credit for a retail game on the eShop by doing this if they raised enough fuss, so it may not be a bad thing to try OP (just be nice to them, of course. Can be very stern and unhappy as long as you stay courteous doing so!)

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing saves are annoying as hell. I have two switches right now and want to sell the old one but I can't cause my Animal Crossing save is stuck to it. You can't even transfer the save for some stupid reason.

So basically I have one entire switch dedicated to Animal Crossing until there's a way to transfer it

Also anyone that doesn't want to lose progress for other games not Animal Crossing: buy another switch or transfer your user to a family or friends Switch. It saves the headache of Cloud Saves not being reliable with some games and stuff

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry you experienced this. Having lost a similarly long time save in another game, I always set up backup routines for games I play for the long run. Nintendo is *constantly* a particularly bad offender when it comes to that (homebrew was basically your only choice on 3DS if you didn't want a save that's tied to your console hardware for crying out loud), lord knows whats going on in their weirdo brain that they wont even let you backup your stuff properly.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
If only saves can be backed up. I wonder why Sony and Microsoft allows their customers choice to backup? /s

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
It is amazing how little noise these issues usually make, when Nintendo are the only ones preventing their users to backup their saves for free, locking cloud saves behind a paywall, not allowing local data backup, and on top of that some games, and not minor ones btw, not even supporting such a basic feature.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
It's tilting me that you warned people OP. You lost 200 hours. No entitlement at all. Nintendo just can't get their head out of their ass.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
*hugs my homebrew Switch*

I have the entire save folder backed up in like 4 different places, including google drive. Amazing how easy it is with one tiny homebrew app.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Every Nintendo game that actually needs cloud saves--Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Splatoon--don't support them. Especially Animal Crossing, where the game isn't actually fun, and the "fun" is just the satisfaction of doing work to progress toward a goal. It's fucking hilarious. Nintendo is a joke of a company sometimes.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
you see why people hack Nintendo devices. it's because of how obtuse they are with this stuff.

the main reason i hacked my 3DS and Wii U back in those days was to be able to backup saves easily. i didn't even use the function to rip carts to install them internally until years later because i didn't want to spend extra on SD cards. my main motivator was preventing the kind of thing that happened to OP (oh and region free but Nintendo at least gave us that on Switch).

AC's save on Switch is even worse than other games that don't support cloud saves since you can still move your save for those games if you have a second Switch or have a friend to let you move your profile to their console but with ACNH you can't even move your save. i don't know who had that stupid idea in the first place but it's probably one of the stupidest ideas to get a pass.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
This restriction is totally bullshit. My guess is it is just to prevent people hacking their saves. So to avoid a few people getting unearned benefit from hacking the saves, which doesn't really affect anyone else in a meaningful way, they restrict cloud backups which will genuinely upset fans that have invested lots of time in the game.

You don't need to be Spock to understand that ain't logical