Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
2018 was a miserable year for the Switch if you own any other console. Octopath is basically the only thing I played on it. I probably won't turn it on again this year.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Did people post about how their ps4's were collecting dust in 2014/2015 and say "If you're a PS3 owner, and also if you don't count the features the PS4 has special to it, the PS4 is a paperweight" on GAF? Another honest question.

A lot of people in general did indeed complain about both the PS4 & Xbox One throughout 2014, mainly for the lack of new fantastic games overall. I'd love to be corrected but I'd say the only difference is that it was never quite as... trite as this back then. I dunno how to phrase it exactly but I feel like 2 of these threads in less than 1 day here shows up poorly in comparison to back then.

Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong but I feel that nuance and legitimacy have actually gone backwards, and hyperbole has undoubtedly increased throughout the years.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well, for those who had a Wii u, theres really not a lot of reasons to get one right now. I have been holding off in getting one for sometime now and more often than not, I feel glad for not caving. So, op, thanks for sharing your experience, makes me feel vindicated.

But I must wonder: If you felt that Splatoon 2 was too much recycled content, will you feel the same regarding SSB ultimate?

OP
OP
MrConbon210

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Why would Nintendo's titles ever go down that much in price? Battlefield 1 is $5 because it is a yearly franchise that is made obsolete every year when the next game comes out and the majority of the playerbase moves over. We are very close to Battlefield 5's release date, so...yeah they are going to heavily discount the game to get as many sales as possible before the new one comes out and no one gives a shit any more. Nintendo games are NOT like that, and there is absolutely no way you didn't understand that going in...because Nintendo games have NEVER gone down in price like that, the closest is when they do like a Player's Choice/Nintendo Select's line, and even then those are $20+

I'm definitely not expecting Nintendo games to drop in price like that but Skyrim for example can easily be found for $20 and under on PS4 but still is $60 on Switch and has never dropped in price. Something like that should get a sale.

OP
OP
MrConbon210

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Well, for those who had a Wii u, theres really not a lot of reasons to get one right now. I have been holding off in getting one for sometime now and more often than not, I feel glad for not caving. So, op, thanks for sharing your experience, makes me feel vindicated.

But I must wonder: If you felt that Splatoon 2 was too much recycled content, will you feel the same regarding SSB ultimate?

I still really loved Splatoon 2 and put in 30 or so hours into it. I'm just not obsessed like some people are and have hundreds of hours into it. Smash will always be a good game for when friends come over.

Oct 25, 2017
I've only played like 4 games on Switch and I have it since launch, it's fine, I only use it for Exclusives.

I should go back to Xenoblade 2 actually.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I'm in a similar position to OP. I am still waiting for the Switch to justify the price I paid for it. I should have waited until the Wii U ports dried up before jumping in.

Mario Odyssey is great, but that's been the lone shining star for me. It really is depressing that I honestly prefer the Wii U right now. I still have it hiding behind my Switch dock...but the reality is it actually gets more use.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm definitely not expecting Nintendo games to drop in price like that but Skyrim for example can easily be found for $20 and under on PS4 but still is $60 on Switch and has never dropped in price. Something like that should get a sale.
OK, that's more reasonable. It's mainly due to release timing (Skyrim for PS4 is a whole year or more older than the Switch release) but we are talking about a PS3/360 port here. That said...publishers aren't going to drop the price if it is selling well at the current price point.

P-Switch

Alt Account
Jul 15, 2018
The Switch is impossible to collect dust because unlike a home console you are constantly picking it up and moving it away from your entertainment center.

And oddly enough, I use my tv every day yet it collects wayyyyy more dust than my Switch or 3ds

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, why did you buy a portable system if you still never used it that way? I know it's hybrid but… it's like buying a google home for it's Bluetooth speaker ability...

Why buy a portable console then? Honest question.
If you want to play Nintendo games you don't have a choice.

Why make this post when you know for a fact a pixel based 2d game is literally identical across all versions?
Oh wait, to troll.
There is this thing called framerate. It's not great on the Switch.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The Switch is impossible to collect dust because unlike a home console you are constantly picking it up and moving it away from your entertainment center.

And oddly enough, I use my tv every day yet it collects wayyyyy more dust than my Switch or 3ds
Actually, 85-90% of my Switch use is with it docked.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
The weekly sales are bombarded by shovelware. I'm looking at it right now and there's stuff like Mummy Pinball, Gaokoa.Love.100Days, and Animal Rivals clogging up the sales page. I have no idea what in this section is actually good.

Thats why you look at the screenshots and/or videos? I dont see how this problem is eShop specific. Spend 10 seconds looking at a game and see whether or not you are interested.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Lol ok. Next time you make a thread and people start posting "cool story" that you take it as a positive remark about your thread and not basically shitting on it.
There are certain types of threads that are going to get certain types of responses.

There are many reasons why we may not be playing our games. When people are working 40 hours a week, going to school, raising a family, etc. But, those people dont make "collecting dust" threads. It is always the "because it has no games" argument, which is untrue. Many gaming fans are obviously enjoying their device. It is a goofy argument which gets goofy replies.

Lardonate

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't really played on mine since Mario Odyssey. There are games I want to get like Octopath and Code of Princess. I could've bought Valkyria 4 for it but it was cheaper to buy it on PS4. If the I used the portability of the thing more it would've made sense to get it there, but currently I just don't. No real interest in Smash either, I've never understood the game, watching it makes me feel old and out of touch.

Zelda BOTW was a fine game though and worth the outlay on the console for me. I need to head back in and rummage around in there some more.

Agreed on the store being a bit stuffed with cruft though. Feels like the early days of the google play store. I do feel like there must be interesting stuff I might be missing out on, but I'm too lazy to put in the effort to have a good search. I do like the "find games with demos" feature though. I do love a demo.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017

It should. Blame Bethesda. Apparently they have sales data that convinces them not to put it on sale.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did people post about how their ps4's were collecting dust in 2014/2015 and say "If you're a PS3 owner, and also if you don't count the features the PS4 has special to it, the PS4 is a paperweight" on GAF? Another honest question.

1450838349001.jpg

amfm8eT.jpg

OP
OP
MrConbon210

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017

I worded it badly. I'm not the type of person to spend $20 on a game I'm not sure I'm going to like. There's tons of indies I loved like Outlast, Journey, and Everyone's Gone to the Rapture.

Many indie games are 2D retro style roguelikes or metroidvania's and I'm not a fan of those types of games.

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Same here. Mine has just been sitting and hardly being played. I plan to get Let's Go next month and that is about it for Switch games til maybe Smash.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
The defensiveness and insecurity in this thread tho xD

Yeah. I'm a hardcore Switch fan, and I think complaints about Switch's 2018 are totally justified. It's very much in its PS4 2014 stage right now. It's OK to admit that Switch lost a little momentum in 2018, and its best days are ahead of it.

HipHop

Banned
Feb 28, 2018
has the potential to be an amazing console,

but the lack of third party games/ports and exclusives is also making my Switch collect dust.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I mean I'm with you but I knew this would happen, I have a PS4 and I'd always rather buy games on that than switch. I also have no interest in portability and I had a wii u.

I bought it to play Nintendo games on the tv and I'm cool with that.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I thought I would buy more multiplatform games on the Switch than I have. For some reason I seriously thought that portability was a big deal to me but I've found that I mostly regret getting multiplatform games on the Switch since I play 90% of my games on my TV. That being said, I still feel like I got a pretty good library of Switch games with just first party games and exclusives. I'm up to 11 physical games and 9 digital games. Not bad for a system that came out recently. My PS4 will always have a bigger library but I knew that the day I bought the Switch so w.e.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Price is also an issue. There seems to be absolutely no decent sales on the Switch eShop. I know Nintendo games never drop in price but why is Skyrim $60 without ever having a sale? I've seen the same game go for $20 on the PS4 store and the extra $40 is not worth it for portability.

Absolutely agree with this. It's disgusting how they treat "sales" and you'll often find the same games at a cheaper price and better quality on other platforms. But I guess some people will still find arbitrary excuses for them.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
I disagree.

But hey I like Octopath Traveler and bought at launch, I'm just now nearing the end. Its been good to me, a more streamlined oldschool RPG. Been enjoying Dragon Ball FighterZ on the system; blah blah you can play it on PS4, but who cares. I like the port and its been fun.

Those are the first new releases I got the last few months, but I still want to get Hollow Knight, Doom, Torna, Valkyria 4 and others. Just don't have the time anymore for all these things :(

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is my worry concerning buying one anytime soon. I feel like it'll be a great system to pick up once the switch 2 releases so you can buy the switch 1 and play all the good exclusive games released throughout its entire cycle. But the wait between those good exclusive games as an owner now just isn't thick or fast enough for me. I'm struggling to make a list of 10 games i'd buy for it if I bought one today. But I imagine in a few years when something has replaced it, making a list like that will be easy.

I bought an xb1 with a few games once I heard crackdown 3 was releasing in 2016. I havn't bought a game for that console since and i'm still waiting for crackdown 3...as you may expect, I kinda regret that purchase.

The switch is in a similar situation right now for me. There's a few games i'd buy for it now without question. but Metroid 4 is what I REALLY want and we've not even seen it yet. Maybe once Metroid is out i'll jump in since there should be more exclusives out for it by then? the last thing I want though is a repeate of the xb1 where I regret owning it.

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017

I don't see what's so gross about it, not everyone value games the same. Do you think people who will only buy big AA/AAA games only @ $20 and lower gross too?

I am not really into indie games mainly because i have more than enough AA/AAA games in my backlog that i don't even feel the need to. My friends are also similar to the OP, their Switch are basically taken out a few times a year for big release they are interested in and not as their daily drivers.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Pretty much the same, I've been disappointed with the extent of ports and remasters so I haven't found very much to play on it. Mario Tennis is the only game I've got for it this year and that didn't get me hooked in the way I hoped. But, most systems start slowly so I'm still hopeful for the future and a lot more original first party software.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My issue is that I'm just not into most indie games and the Nintendo output has been weak this year for someone who owned a Wii U like myself and isn't a Pokemon or Smash fan.

It's been a dull year. My last game was Bayonetta 1/2 and then Wolfenstein 2. Both I played already elsewhere multiple times but just wanted something to get my Switch some use.

Until Yoshi I don't think there's anything else I'm clamouring for.

2019 if it has Yoshi, Metroid, Doom Eternal and Luigis Mansion 3 will definitely keep me busy.

But compared to 2017 I am not using my Switch as much compared to the first 10 months after launch.

Once again, this is based on my own tastes and usage. I understand there are tons of indie games and more but they're just not for me.

Dragnipur

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
This has been a somewhat disappointing year to be fair, this month is probably the only month I'm going to be buying anything until Smash Bros (TWEWY, Dark Souls, Mario Party).
People value products differently. Millions of people will happily buy every FIFA for 60$ and might find it gross that I won't pay more than, maybe 30$ for FIFA.
I won't even touch FIFA if someone gave it to me.