amara

Nov 23, 2021
Created by Wiseguy, so far they've managed to run Banjo-Kazooie, Rocket Robot and Superman 64 as well. It's designed to be frictionless, plug and play as possible. For something easier to digest, Nerrel made a video on it:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywWwUuWRgsM

Otherwise you can find all the information on these two githubs:
github.com

GitHub - Mr-Wiseguy/Zelda64Recomp: Static recompilation of Majora's Mask (and soon Ocarina of Time) for PC (Windows/Linux)

Static recompilation of Majora's Mask (and soon Ocarina of Time) for PC (Windows/Linux) - Mr-Wiseguy/Zelda64Recomp
github.com

GitHub - Mr-Wiseguy/N64Recomp: Tool to statically recompile N64 games into native executables

Tool to statically recompile N64 games into native executables - Mr-Wiseguy/N64Recomp
The trailer Wiseguy uploaded for Majora's Mask:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIp7C2ro2T8
  • Plug and Play
  • Fully Intact N64 Effects
  • Easy-to-Use Menus
  • High Framerate Support
  • Widescreen and Ultrawide Support
  • Gyro Aim
  • Autosaving
  • Low Input Lag
  • Instant Load Times
  • Linux and Steam Deck Support
  • Ocarina of Time support
  • Dual analog control scheme (with analog camera)
  • Mod support and Randomizer
  • Texture Packs
  • Model Replacements
  • Ray Tracing (via RT64)

What is static recompilation?

Static recompilation is the process of automatically translating an application from one platform to another. For more details, check out the full description of how this project's recompilation works here: N64: Recompiled.

How is this related to the decompilation project?

Unlike N64 ports in the past, this project is not based on the source code provided by a decompilation of the game. This is because static recompilation bypasses the need for decompiled source code when making a port, allowing ports to be made without source code. However, the reverse engineering work done by the decompilation team was invaluable for providing some of the enhancements featured in this project. For this reason, the project uses headers and some functions from the decompilation project in order to make modifications to the game. Many thanks to the decompilation team for all of the hard work they've done.

Last edited:

J75

Sep 29, 2018
This sound like science fiction, wow. Tech rules "allowing ports to be made without source code."

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Waiting on that full camera control to Majora's Mask like the SoH OoT port and then I am so there.

Technology is so cool man

Shwing

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing this on Linux with a wireless N64 controller. This is wild. The only issue is C-Right is seen as the back button for some reason. I'm not sure how to fix it

Squarealex

Nov 11, 2017
Woah, that's look pretty big game changer.

Hope this kind of thing is ported on other 32/128 bits format... But I know it not gonna happen.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the video answers this question, but what does this mean for the current Majora's Mask decompilation that I believe the SoH team is currently working with?

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the video answers this question, but what does this mean for the current Majora's Mask decompilation that I believe the SoH team is currently working with?
nothing. This project and the SOH team aim for different things. if you want to play it RIGHT now, this project is the answer, but if you'd like to tweak stuff, and have a lot of QoL options, SoH it is.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
This is absolutly fantatic! Being a PC enjoyer stays winning with all these amazing projects.

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Best thing to happen to N64 since the MiSTerFPGA core by Robert. Amazing stuff. I really want to play a lot of these games in crisp 4K native resolution.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
This is insane.

Wish there was something similiar for PS2 to free some of those games that deserve proper preservation like Shadow Hearts.

Kensation

The Enlightened "this guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo lawyers:

200w.gif

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
This sounds Sci Fi, amazing!

Can't wait for DK64 Tag Mode in widescreen with raytracing

Or whatever the community can come up for games like Mischief Makers, Rkugakids and Airboarders

Dunfish

Oct 29, 2017
This is cool and a great way to preserve games for the future... so Nintendo will definitely shut it down.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
This is… genuinely incredible technology. These decomps have been taking years and this just… bypasses all of that? Perfectly?

It kind of doesn't make sense. Even the comparison to proton as a compatibility layer doesn't do the trick cuz that doesn't port and improve the game

Absolutely fucking wild

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
amara You forgot to add Dual Analog control scheme (free camera) to the list of planned features. It's in the readme.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but compared to other native projects it is not going to be legal to redistribute source from this since its essentially redistributing the binary.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Adding Raytracing to these games is crazy. I guess we are also moving there with old PC games so they can also take advantage of that here.
Too bad I feel N64 library is kinda limited. The same but for PS1 and Saturn and 6th gen would be so fucking good, hope we move towards that as well.

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
It kind of doesn't make sense. Even the comparison to proton as a compatibility layer doesn't do the trick cuz that doesn't port and improve the game

There's a line between what the recomp is doing and what RT64 is doing. The recomp mostly just gets the game running; that's the Proton part.

The RT and high framerates are coming from the RT64 renderer, which took Dario years of work to get it where it is. Most of that same stuff is in the emulator plugin he's doing, so the enhancements aren't directly related to the recomps.

Revven

Oct 27, 2017
Can we mix exclusive Oot and MM enemies?

While this isn't enemies, there already is a combined randomizer you can play that combines the two games as seamlessly as possible that can be played on actual N64 console (and of course, emulator).
Don't think a looot of people know about it on here in general but if anyone is interested it does exist: https://ootmm.com/ (just no enemy randomizer that allows for cross-game enemies; definitely would be too hard to do for this version of a combo randomizer).

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
God speed Wiseguy

Oh shit Dario is involved, I've been hoping his name would pop up again at some point

Sanders21

Sep 3, 2023
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but compared to other native projects it is not going to be legal to redistribute source from this since its essentially redistributing the binary.

When you load it up, you need to provide a ROM to load in the assets. Pretty similar to what those Mario 64 ports required, last time I checked in on that.