Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
Wow! This is mind-blowing, I would love to see Wave Race 64 using this.

Edit: Just tried Majora's Mask and I have to say that I love the more simplistic approach with fewer options, it's so plug and play. Simply fantastic!

Last edited:

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
Nerrel
3 minutes in the video, you mention that the recomps code is not readable, so having a fully reverse engineered source code is very helpful for modding & patching.
So is it even possible to make mods for a recomps version (without having access to PC port like Mario 64 or OOT)?

I'm really out of my depth here, so maybe you already mentioned it in your video. To me it sounds like adding gyro, for instance (as you mention at the start of your video) is only possible because that work had already been done. Or am I misunderstanding?
I think he means that the recomp's code isn't readable in that it doesn't immediately tell you what a piece of code does. You can't just look at what a function's name is and glean what its purpose was or what a specific variable might have stored. The reason the MM decomp was so helpful for the recomp was that there was documentation and examples of what the code did while being a match for the recomp's structure.

Marin-Lune

Oct 27, 2017
This coming (seemingly) out of nowhere and being like black magic reminds me of when UltaHLE came out lol

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
I think he means that the recomp's code isn't readable in that it doesn't immediately tell you what a piece of code does. You can't just look at what a function's name is and glean what its purpose was or what a specific variable might have stored. The reason the MM decomp was so helpful for the recomp was that there was documentation and examples of what the code did while being a match for the recomp's structure.
Ah so it's still possible to make mods, but it's (much) more difficult than if you can easily see what the code does?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Ah so it's still possible to make mods, but it's (much) more difficult than if you can easily see what the code does?
Yes, with or without a decomp, recomp will give you C code that you can edit. But with a decompilation, you get said C code to have function and variable names that make sense. So it saves time.

Fowler

Oct 26, 2017
Given that he released the general tool alongside Zelda, has anyone tried using this on other games? I know Nerrel showed Rocket and Superman 64 (lol) in the video, but I was wondering if there was anywhere where people are experimenting with the tool and sharing their results.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
What allowed this to be possible? Because I thought the difficulty was one couldn't easily know this a priory?
I actually thought this as well, so I really don't know.

I can only guess, though... I looked through some of the code and did some Google searching just now; based on that, I get the impression that it's just easy to do on the Nintendo 64, for the following possible reasons:
- It's easier to automatically translate games originally written in C as opposed to assembly, as the latter tends to have things like self-modifying code.
- N64 games appear to be stored in an ELF format, which organizes the ROM in a way where it's easy to find all of the code.

I also found various tools that analyze the code in an N64 ROM automatically. So maybe it just isn't really an issue with N64 games (and perhaps games on other systems that use an ELF format)? Either way, it isn't fool-proof, and even with this decompiler, you can give it a configuration file that tells it what to ignore.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
anyone got this to work with a NSO 64 pad?
no matter what I do one C button won't work, steam input didn't help either

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Be really interested to see how WR64 functions at higher frame rates, I can see the water physics beinf tied to the games native frame rate. That's complete speculation tho
I could have misunderstood, but I thought Nerrel had said in his video that RT64 works in a way that the game logic actually only ever sees the original frames (and other data) that the game originally produces, and that's why (while I'm sure there are some edge cases and conditions that need to be specifically accounted for) it doesn't matter what output framerate you specify the game to run at, or even if you were to swap out any of the assets that the game will draw with, internally the game only sees the original version of the game and that's why everything continues to work

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I hope they could somehow get native NSO 64 pad and GC USB support.

Alternatively, I could invest in a N64 -> USB adapter. Now is probably the time if we're gonna see all these PC ports of N64 games.

empo

Jan 27, 2018

Alternatively, I could invest in a N64 -> USB adapter. Now is probably the time if we're gonna see all these PC ports of N64 games.
It should be possible (IIRC it just worked without doing anything in SoH) but yeah it probably requires some extra work per port

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Mister got it, SoH has it, it's definitely possible.

Amazing project all around. Very interested in PC Banjo with N64 controller in 16:9 - always.felt slightly off to me with an Xbox controller

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty incredible news. I *might* wait for the Ship of Harkinian release to play Majora's Mask, the QoL features it adds are excellent and I want to use them for the game (plus the possibility of a OoT/MM native PC randomiser), but I'll give it a shot for other games for sure. Mario 64 PC with minimal effort would be great, the current version just fails to compile for me and it's a lot more work to do than the OoT one.

Nov 14, 2017
I'm really curious how recompiled Banjo will compare to just emulating the XBLA versions. Those versions ran really well on my PC.

This is pretty incredible news. I *might* wait for the Ship of Harkinian release to play Majora's Mask, the QoL features it adds are excellent and I want to use them for the game (plus the possibility of a OoT/MM native PC randomiser), but I'll give it a shot for other games for sure. Mario 64 PC with minimal effort would be great, the current version just fails to compile for me and it's a lot more work to do than the OoT one.
Have you tried SM64 Plus? It was a fairly simple install process for me, and the game comes with a ton of cool extra features you can toggle.

parski

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 13, 2017
I'm playing with a controller and I feel like rotation is handled rather poorly. For instance if I rotate the analog stick I expect Link to run in small circles but even at rather slow speeds the circle is broken. Other than that it's really great feeling.

Powerwing

Nov 30, 2017
Does it mean that linux based (retro) handheld will benefit from this as long as vulkan is supported ? I'm not talking about steamdeck, more about RK3566 or s922x based handheld

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing with a controller and I feel like rotation is handled rather poorly. For instance if I rotate the analog stick I expect Link to run in small circles but even at rather slow speeds the circle is broken. Other than that it's really great feeling.
Do we know if that is similar behavior to the original game running on original hardware?

Shwing

Oct 25, 2017
This game runs so well. I've never beaten the original MM and I'm tempted to give it a shot now. Though I may wait until ray tracing is working.

wizrad

May 12, 2024
Just want to emphasize how ridiculously easy it is to get this running on the Steam Deck! I only got my Deck two weeks ago, so I just switched it to desktop mode for the first time and had the linux version of Majora's Mask running on it in under 10 minutes.

OrvilleGateau

Feb 18, 2024
I gave this a try just now and I'm already completely enamored at seeing this game run in widescreen and 144fps on my PC. I really can't decide if I wanna play this right now or wait until analog camera and HD textures are out, it's gonna be a painful wait but it'll be so worth it :')

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
I reported that to Wiseguy during testing, he wants to fix it but didn't want to screw around with the controls so close to launch

Anyone knows which games exactly use custom microcode ?
I know that Battle for Naboo and Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine do, and MM used it for it's point lighting system. Wiseguy actually has a listing of games that used one particular microcode on his github: https://github.com/Mr-Wiseguy/f3dex2

I gave this a try just now and I'm already completely enamored at seeing this game run in widescreen and 144fps on my PC. I really can't decide if I wanna play this right now or wait until analog camera and HD textures are out, it's gonna be a painful wait but it'll be so worth it :')
Glad to hear that you want to use the textures, but I'm probably going to redo at least the first 1/4 of the game before releasing the pack again. The early textures were not great and I also plan to revise the whole thing to account for the RT lighting, since I had a lot of baked in shadows and reflections that won't make sense anymore.

There may also be a material map system later, which I've already started on since Citra got support for universal normal maps before it was shut down. So I say play it now
1.gif

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Happy for the N64 faithfuls.

God do I wish there was Saturn equivalent.

OrvilleGateau

Feb 18, 2024
Glad to hear that you want to use the textures, but I'm probably going to redo at least the first 1/4 of the game before releasing the pack again. The early textures were not great and I also plan to revise the whole thing to account for the RT lighting, since I had a lot of baked in shadows and reflections that won't make sense anymore.

Well I waited this long for a replay, I can wait some more ;)
Besides I'm planning on building a new PC in the next few months so I'm very interested in playing with ray tracing too.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I reported that to Wiseguy during testing, he wants to fix it but didn't want to screw around with the controls so close to launch

I know that Battle for Naboo and Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine do, and MM used it for it's point lighting system. Wiseguy actually has a listing of games that used one particular microcode on his github: https://github.com/Mr-Wiseguy/f3dex2

There may also be a material map system later, which I've already started on since Citra got support for universal normal maps before it was shut down. So I say play it now
1.gif

That'd be amazing.
Maybe I misremember, but didn't you toy with the idea of normal maps with Star Fox 64 3D a few years ago ? ( I can't recall if it was you or someone else)

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Majora's Mask recompilation is playable but i can't run it in 60 fps all the time, i guess Ship Of Harkinian sequel will be a better option for me 😅

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
This is like god damn magic. Started it up, pointed it to my Majora's Mask ROM, connected my controller, and bam, I'm instantly playing MM at 1440p 144 FPS. Incredible work.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
What allowed this to be possible? Because I thought the difficulty was one couldn't easily know this a priory?
It uses the same basic idea as emulation. What happened to enable this is the decomps have allowed most of the major micro codes to be understood and now that code has been integrated into N64 recomp allowing quick but dirty ports since you can do static recompilation using the same basic mapping done in JIT emulation fort the whole executable at once creating a native executable. Basically this doesn't exist if we didn't have things like the Mario 64 decomp, ocarina of time decomp, and more than decade of JIT emulators.

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
Wiseguy has released the tool so technically you could make your own recomps with it, but they might be in rough shape by default. You'd have to spend at least a few days patching issues up, as he did for MM and Superman. And the RT64 enhancements also won't work as well as they do in MM without hands-on tweaks for the animations and other things

I've heard the AI thing before, but never that I'm a zoomer who spends all day on tiktok, that's hilarious. I'd rather have a flat, neutral voice than do the up and down roller coaster inflection a lot of youtubers do.

Narration is the most arduous and unrewarding part of making videos by far- the recordings for this eleven minute video totaled an hour and fifty minutes (and these are trimmed down to remove gaps / throat clearings / etc):

So you know... try to show a little respect
sddefault.jpg
Thanks for the video, and on top of everything else for going in to the audio accuracy enhancements, which are a much-neglected part of emulation and ports.