Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Can we add this as a non steam game and use the cloud save feature? Would be awesome to play at 4k120fps on the PC and get back right away on the steam deck
You can add it as a non-Steam game, but keep in mind that only Steam games support cloud saves. You'd need to transfer your save file between your PC and Steam Deck manually or find some other way to do it.

El meso

Oct 27, 2017
You can add it as a non-Steam game, but keep in mind that only Steam games support cloud saves. You'd need to transfer your save file between your PC and Steam Deck manually or find some other way to do it.

Thanks, maybe a sync folder on Google should do The trick :)
It was too good to be a thing lol

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Star Fox 64 and Sin & Punishment would be my top two ports I'd love to see ASAP.

Pretty sure the Star Fox 64 decompilation project is nearly complete which is cool, but having Star Fox 64 through this method would be a nice bonus until a jazzed up PC port is created from the decompilation.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I'd say your description is more fitting static recompilation than reverse engineering the code. When manually re-creating a source code, I'm pretty sure it's step 1 that takes the longest amount of time, and you would combine it with 2. That, or I'm doing something seriously wrong with my approach trying to reverse engineer Prince of Persia 2. I wish there was a way to get an automatic decompilation that I could immediately compile and run. Once you get to the point you can compile and run something, it becomes drastically easier and faster to document the code.
Certainly. Reverse engineering is the broad category and a decompiler is one potential tool in the process, so that may actually not be a viable option in all cases or even with the N64 at all for that matter. What that means is that step 1 takes much longer in those cases. My scenario was a best-case scenario for a decomp and it still takes years to do.

There's also the "clean room" aspect to consider as well, so using a decompiler may want to be avoided for the sake of maintaining that very strictly. I'd almost classify that as a remake rather than a decompilation though as it's barely connected to the original at that point.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I'm surprised how easy this was to setup. Just add to Steam, select the ROM, and good to go.

Majora's mask feels so smooth and the controls so much tighter with this. On a Deck feels like the definitive way to play. Glad I wasn't too far into the original emulated version.

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
So basically, rather than end users waiting for years for the decompilation to be finished to get a working PC port, now recompilation will allow that in a fraction of the time, with the trade-off being that the port will be fairly simple and we'll still have to wait for the decomp to get mods on the level of the SM64 or OoT ports?
I'm not knowledgable about this stuff, I just absorbed a bunch tech jargon during the course of making this. But as I understand it:

When it comes to really in-depth modding stuff I think that's basically right, but with the big caveat that the SoH port can't really use RT64 unless some large compatibility hurdles are overcome. I mentioned it briefly in the video, but RT lighting was one of the things that "OpenGL/vertices being processed on the CPU" was holding back. Material map support was another thing that seemed really tough with the way SoH functions right now.

I don't think it's just limited to enhancements, some of the basic operations of the game were also easier to accurately implement thanks to RT64. The recomps have some fundamental advantages as a result of being built around the newer low level APIs that the SoH port may never be able to catch up to while using OpenGL.

Again, not trying to trash SoH because it's great in a lot of ways, but it seems to have a lot of limits. I wouldn't say that the recomp is a shortcut to getting what a decomp+port offers because in a number of ways the recomp is already ahead of that. It depends a lot on the game and port, though. I guess we'll see if the results are as successful once other games without decompilations get the recomp process

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, the possibilities are endless.

Imagine the N64 racing game catalogue at high refresh rates and possibly wheel/FF support ...

>.<

wellpapp

Aug 21, 2018
Gothenburg
Um, I've installed it on my Deck quite easy but the controls were no near functional.. can't even get past the menu starting a save.

Edit: Ah, launching through game mode solved it

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm considering holding off on Ocarina of Time knowing that this will probably move faster toward modding in the 3DS remake environments than Ship of Harkinian will.

Oh man. That would be the dream. I played SoH with the 3DS models, but still seeing blocky N64 geometry covered with new textures throws me off a bit. Still a fun experience, like a lost GameCube remake.

Are there any options to integer upscale from 240p for Majora's Mask? I can't stand just upressing these games.

Lemon King

Jun 30, 2020
Star Fox 64 and Sin & Punishment would be my top two ports I'd love to see ASAP.

Pretty sure the Star Fox 64 decompilation project is nearly complete which is cool, but having Star Fox 64 through this method would be a nice bonus until a jazzed up PC port is created from the decompilation.
100% in for Star Fox 64, having mods for it would be awesome.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would die a happy man if they manage to recompile Infernal Machine. The PC version is trash compared to the N64.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017

Fuck yeah Sin & Punishment. Ideally I'd want a full decompilation so the internal logic could actually work at 60fps but I've been playing it as is all this time and I'll be fine with motion smoothing.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Fuck yeah Sin & Punishment. Ideally I'd want a full decompilation so the internal logic could actually work at 60fps but I've been playing it as is all this time and I'll be fine with motion smoothing.

Sin & Punishment is such a fun ride (probably in my top 5 games) and I love some of the visual effects. They look cool even today, the explosion from the first airship boss in Stage 1 and the lava Kachua boss. Absolutely a marvel in early 3D graphics.

View: https://youtu.be/K7MEjNzb-80?si=A-_kcIgyBteFpXW_

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Sin & Punishment is such a fun ride (probably in my top 5 games) and I love some of the visual effects. They look cool even today, the explosion from the first airship boss in Stage 1 and the lava Kachua boss. Absolutely a marvel in early 3D graphics.

View: https://youtu.be/K7MEjNzb-80?si=A-_kcIgyBteFpXW_

Treasure worked absolute magic on every console they developed for. The shit they pulled off in Gunstar Heroes and Radiant Silvergun is mindblowing.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I got this working the other day and it has all the features I really cared about (mainly the extra buttons for equipment/masks).

I'm still undecided if I want to play this version of Majora's Mask, or the emulated 3DS version with the Restoration mod installed.

The super smooth 90fps of the recompile version is great, and I played through most of OoT that way just recently.
But I really do like the look of the 3DS version (OG MM has some crazy blurry textures) and the Restoration mod fixes a lot of the smaller issues people had with that version (including adding the d-pad for masks, like the recompiled version), but 30fps is pretty far from 90.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Messed with this last night and it looks and plays amazing. Looks incredibly smooth running on my set up.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Got it running and went through the first cycle to see how it ran (absolutely smooth as butter at 165 FPS), but I'm probably gonna wait at this point for the graphical updates.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Has there been any other games recompiled yet? I am genuinely considering learning how to do it myself at this point as I have a stack of N64 games in my home I would love to do this with.

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
So I tried this with my 8bitdo Ultimate and it's super touchy controls with some weird multibinding of controls at the default. Has anyone else got this issue?

Edit: It was actually Steam interfering that caused the issue.

Last edited:

Milpool

Oct 27, 2017
I have a vague memory of setting my Wii U to stereo, the Majora's Mask ROM to surround mode, and forcing my receiver to Dolby to get surround sound working. I couldn't find the options in this so I thought I was misremembering, but it is missing it seems.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Insane. The game will look amazing once they have finished with Ray Tracing and HD textures. What a great job they are doing here.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The plug and play nature of this is just super impressive!

Can't wait for multiplayer titles to appear and stuff like Banjo and eventually mods.
It seems utterly amazing how this is running cycles around emulation.

Is it possible to activate AA on Steam Deck or is that planned for the future?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
The plug and play nature of this is just super impressive!

Can't wait for multiplayer titles to appear and stuff like Banjo and eventually mods.
It seems utterly amazing how this is running cycles around emulation.

Is it possible to activate AA on Steam Deck or is that planned for the future?
It relies on a driver feature that the deck doesn't support atm. The drivers on the deck need to be updated, it's not something for Recomp to fix.

Salty Hippo

Oct 25, 2017
What are the chances these games get playable via a core in RetroArch? Not a fan of Steam for these kinds of retro games.

Salty Hippo

Oct 25, 2017
I think the whole point of this is to bypass/avoid the need for cores like in RetroArch.

You don't have to rely on Steam. The recompiled game is just a standard executable (.exe).

I get that but in terms of game organization it would be so much better to have this integrated into RetroArch together with all my other roms. Currently in my setup I can open RetroArch and load any game without ever touching a mouse, so it would be nice to see some kind of core where you simply select the rom or the exe from a list and everything else happens automatically in the background.

I know there are some PC centric cores like OpenLara but I have no idea how it works. Maybe I'm asking for too much here.

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I get that but in terms of game organization it would be so much better to have this integrated into RetroArch together with all my other roms. Currently in my setup I can open RetroArch and load any game without ever touching a mouse, so it would be nice to see some kind of core where you simply select the rom or the exe from a list and everything else happens automatically in the background.

I know there are some PC centric cores like OpenLara but I have no idea how it works. Maybe I'm asking for too much here.

This isn't a "core" though. It's a recompiled executable that runs independent of any emulation framework. You're missing the point if you want to run it inside of Retroarch.

Fowler

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks. My bad. I thought it was for any n64 game.

It's understandable, because there's both. There's one for any N64 game, but it looks like it needs a good deal of experimentation and tinkering and may not work at all for some games. But there's also one just for Majora's Mask that is about as plug-and-play as I've ever seen.

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
If/when we get this working for Banjo Kazooie, or whatever N64 game, is that using the same downloadable program or does one need to be made for each game?
Each recomp will get its own exe, like you'd expect for normal PC ports. It's not like an emulator, where one exe loads everything, each game is a unique port.

Like I said in the video though, Wiseguy plans to merge sequels into the same exe, which makes sense considering that those games will run similarly and need a lot of the same fixes and tweaks. MM already comes with the interface to launch OoT built-in.

Wonky Mump

Oct 30, 2017

I'd understand if you thought that the executable was modifying the rom generated from your game dump so you could just put the modified rom into RetroArch, however for this to work each game will have it's own executable for running the game recompiled directly. Again, the point is not to have the need for RetroArch and cores.