• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
969534.jpg

lmao

YBF2Ep4.gif

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
After his wall address, I wonder if he'd even be able to get TV time for national address. The network can just point out that they already gave him some and this isn't going to be a real State of the Union she may still get and and deny him so they don't have to put another one of his racist tirades on.

Oh who am I kidding of course they'll cave after he goes on a tweet storm.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Oh my god his rage will be glorious.

So Pelosi has the power to cancel and force the POTUS to reschedule?

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
The phrasing she is using is asking him to change it, not demanding it. Even if that was her intention, the nuance will be lost on him or they will deliberately ignore it. So if she really wanted to straight up cancel it, she should've been more direct.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
Should be State of the Confederacy anyway with Slave Master Trump forcing nearly a million people to work for nothing.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
The phrasing she is using is asking him to change it, not demanding it. Even if that was her intention, the nuance will be lost on him or they will deliberately ignore it. So if she really wanted to straight up cancel it, she should've been more direct.
Well it's not like she's out of stationary. Let's see how he reacts.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god his rage will be glorious.

So Pelosi has the power to cancel and force the POTUS to reschedule?
Political posturing aside. It really isn't wise to have the SOTU without a fully funded Secret Service. The entire federal government(President, Congress, SCOTUS, Cabinet, etc) is in one room and its a massive security operation.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Right and I get that but.. did she effectively move the date? Or can POTUS refuse and do it anyway?

Real speak, the Constitution just says that he has to deliver a state of the union to the Congress. He'll probably just submit it to Congress in writing right before delivering it from the Oval Office, unless there's a magical end to the shutdown beforehand.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
He can't do it in House of Rep chamber without her but he can do a fake one wherever/whenever he wants outside of that.
President can hold it anywhere except the House, which Pelosi governs.
POTUS can give a speech, but he cannot give a SOTU address from the House Chamber without explicit permission from Pelosi.
Thank you.
Real speak, the Constitution just says that he has to deliver a state of the union to the Congress. He'll probably just submit it to Congress in writing right before delivering it from the Oval Office, unless there's a magical end to the shutdown beforehand.
Seems unlikely that he'd "submit" to being pushed off of TV.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What could he even say at the SotU? Everything is fucked at the moment but it's the way I want it? I guess he'd just rant about Democrats or something. Please cancel it.

No doubt he'll just do what he always does, praise himself and say how much of an expert he is at everything and how the Democrats are unpatriotic for not funding his wall and they're to blame for the shutdown not him.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
What are the odds that Trump goes to Alabama and gives the SOTU at one of his MAGA rallies? Sean Hannity can be there for the post-speech wrapup interview.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
This is brilliant ju-jitsu:

* Trump is denied the grandeur of speaking from the floor of Congress, which he'd just use to whine and blame Congress for the shutdown

* Pelosi isn't actually denying him anything of real value outside of modern tradition

* Dems remain on messaging re: urgency of ending the shutdown, highlighting growing security concerns thereof

* Seeing Trump on TV is nothing special

* The Constitutional responsibility remains on Trump to actually deliver/release a SOTU. Imagine how unhinged that could be if when the 29th comes along wothout any shutdown resolution.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What are the odds that Trump goes to Alabama and gives the SOTU at one of his MAGA rallies? Sean Hannity can be there for the post-speech wrapup interview.

To be clear, he can give a speech at Alabama, but the SOTU is an official address to Congress so there will still have to be a delivered address either via writing or a rescheduled speech on the House floor.

I can imagine him doing just this though.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
For those that missed it, WaPo had reported earlier this month he intended to use the SOTU as another platform to rail on dems. This effectively scuttles the plan for the short term, just Nancy using the barest of leverage.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think he can do that, but nevertheless

House Chamber:

Senate Chamber:

One of these is suitable for a SOTU with full congress, cabinet and Court, the other is not. Same goes for some Oval Office address, it would look pitiful.

If he does it from the white house, he can still hold it in a larger room with select sycophants to applaud him every 10 seconds.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017

It is a threat to cancel it unless he opens up the government.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018

Literally zero because the secret service will not allow him to due to their complete inability to provide adequate security due to not having the funding.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You know, I wouldn't be surprised if this is some strategy, because if you tell Trump to do something, he always does the exact opposite. He's gonna do something stupid and it'll backfire.