• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Reminder Congress still gets paid during shutdown if anyone is curious why GOP keeping this up

That doesn't really matter though, cutting off their checks would just be for optics. The average Senator is worth 3 million and the average Representative is worth 1 million. They would be fine without receiving a check for a month.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Any chance this shut down will affect 2020 Senate races? I know at-risk R Senators do not want this shut down.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
They could eliminate the spectacle of the SOTU by returning to letter format permanently and I don't think we'd be worse off for it.

Really anything to reduce executive authority, influence, and regality is a win in my book after seeing what an abusive president can do.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Unfortunately for Donnie he doesn't have a say in the matter.

SOTU is held at the Speaker's behest.
She already invited him though. I may well be mistaken, but I didn't see where she explicitly disinvited him and said it was off. She said security is a problem but couldn't Trump say, "No it isn't, security will be fine, I've already accepted the invite and will be there as planned."?

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
They could eliminate the spectacle of the SOTU by returning to letter format permanently and I don't think we'd be worse off for it.

Really anything to reduce executive authority, influence, and regality is a win in my book after seeing what an abusive president can do.
This is probably what is on Pelosi's head atm. If she plays this right this could be a turning point for office of the Speakership especially the toothless one held by Ryan.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Except Trump doesn't care about the numbers, only coverage by his base.

He caves on this and the Fox and Friends and Hanity can't walk this back.

Unless the Dems have a revolt I don't see this ending unless we get a TSA strike.

Couldn't Trump just lie? I mean, if his base believes everything he says, he can just go on Fox and say, "I've done it! I've gotten the wall, I'm reopening the government, anything the House of Representatives say, or mainstream media says is a lie! It's happening and they're ALL LYING TO YOU!"

Then just go ahead and cave to Nancy and the Democrats? I mean if they believe ONLY him, then it doesn't matter what he does, or what anyone else says, all that matters is what HE says. It's not like his supporters are going to drive down and check to see the wall for themselves, and even if they do and find nothing, they'll TELL themselves, "Yup, I see a wall!" and just be happy.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
That doesn't really matter though, cutting off their checks would just be for optics. The average Senator is worth 3 million and the average Representative is worth 1 million. They would be fine without receiving a check for a month.
It's quite depressing to think how rich you have to be to run for office. AOC is a very rare occurrence. A podcast (this american life maybe, cannot quite remember) about a democratic candidate underdog with Sanders backing was quite eye opening.

Found it: https://www.thisamericanlife.org/649/its-my-party-and-ill-try-if-i-want-to

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Prediction: Trump to give State of the Union exclusively on a taped Twitter Video

Waiting for the next Trump Direct.

AcceptableConventionalDairycow-size_restricted.gif

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
She already invited him though. I may well be mistaken, but I didn't see where she explicitly disinvited him and said it was off. She said security is a problem but couldn't Trump say, "No it isn't, security will be fine, I've already accepted the invite and will be there as planned."?
Reads to me like she's giving him a choice between having it on the usual day if the government isn't still shutdown then, having it delayed to a future date once the government isn't shutdown, or he can just submit it in writing.

Or he can fuck off and do it in the Oval.

Essentially she's saying "you're not going to come into my House while the government is shutdown only to try and place the blame on my party".

Last edited:

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

That was an informal invitation, the Senate and House still have to pass a resolution officially inviting the President, and that has not happened yet. She extended the opportunity to work on a different date or submitting it in writing.

Oct 25, 2017
And nothing of value was lost?

Love to see him actually try and write something though. Like, teachers will be using that for decades to get raises and materials. Because if the POTUS can't read or write, then clearly US education is in the shitter.

I mean, I would use it.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Good. There should be no state of the Union again until there is a union. Not to mention we shouldn't be asking the Secret Service to deal with the clusterfuck of a SotU adress without pay. Probably stressful enough when they are getting paid for it.

Plus you know this just drives Trump bonkers.