• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic.

As someone who had an internship at Talladega, I was told by my bosses to work remotely on the Fridays before Nascar events for my own safety. One day, I wanted to see why. Acres and acres of Confederate flags, iron crosses, and an underaged wet t-shirt contests surrounded by screaming rednecks. I heard from one of the 3 black employees at my company that they got harassed non-stop the one and only time they attended a race. This was back in 2005.

Now it seems like Nascar might actually be steering away from their image and trying to get more diversity in the sport.

Also, I can feel the seething anger from some of those racist fuckers that they can't proudly wave their racist propaganda. It gives me life

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I was taken to a NASCAR race at the Charlotte Motor Speedway on Memorial Day weekend and it was fucking bonkers levels of military worship and Trumpian nationalism, to the point where I was kind of concerned. I imagine if Trump complains about this, NASCAR is going to have a really hard time enforcing this if fans sneak in flags.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
I might go see a NASCAR race for the first time in my life.

What are they like?
I only ever went to one as a child and I'll say this. They're fucking LOUD. It's just LOUD the whole god damn time. All those high powered engines plus the crowds screaming the whole time. It's just about the loudest fucking sporting event you could attend.

gilko79

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
I'm not a NASCAR fan, but I gotta give 'em credit for this week's decisions. Good on them.

Same. My in laws insisted I go with them to Talladega just after I got married. I can't say it was an enjoyable experience, but I think A LOT of it was due to the rampant racism on display. Hope this helps to keep those people in check.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
I only ever went to one as a child and I'll say this. They're fucking LOUD. It's just LOUD the whole god damn time. All those high powered engines plus the crowds screaming the whole time. It's just about the loudest fucking sporting event you could attend.

Grew up in a Nascar town and yep yep yep. You can hear it from miles away.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
Blows my mind completely that people are so fucking racist and call any correction of racism as "giving into the libs", instead of just being, you know, a good person.

Pieces of shit

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I am shocked and surprised, and happy with this. If you've ever been to a race, fucking confederate flags are as common as the American flag... even in, like, New Hampshire. It's wild. Last time I went to a race was... 2017 I think, and the people we were with (I went with my in-laws and they met up with like... 20 different people) Go and hang a confederate flag off of their tent area, and I was like... wtf is this bull shit. I actually made up a lie and said that my friend's brother was coming and he was in the Marines (which is true) and that he gets pissed when he sees the confederate flag and he'll get into ana argument with you about it. He wouldn't, he's very easy going and wouldn't give a fuck even though he might side-eye someone who does it, but that got them to take it down.

I might go see a NASCAR race for the first time in my life.

What are they like?

NASCAR races are a blaaaast. But some things to look out for/tips:
  1. They've banned confederate flags, which is great, but ... it's still a bunch of good ol boys. It's very white, very Republican, very conservative, like working class conservative.
  2. They pray before races. Like, a pastor will give a big prayer before the race.
  3. It's the biggest party you'll ever go to. NASCAR actually encourages people to bring coolers into the stands... Where as, like the NFL you're obviously banned from bringing outside beverages, at NASCAR, eevrybody brings a cooler stocked with beer. *everybody* If you finish your beer, you can leave and go back to your car and stock back up (at least, if you're staying there / camping). When I go, we have 2 wagons that we pack with coolers, and probably bring... ~100 beers into the race maybe.
  4. Tens of thousands of people camp at the races over night, you rent out a space either for your car, RV, or w/e and you stay for the weekend.
  5. Every race has a "party lot" or "party area," which is an overnight parking lot usually near the event space that is a fucking... massive party. Like, a party like you've never seen before.
  6. 98% of the people are very nice, very welcoming. I'm a liberal elitist, basically the opposite of who would go to most NASCAR stuff, everybody has always been super nice to me as long as you're there to have a good time.
  7. Weed, drugs, alcohol, anything goes
  8. Staying over/camping is a lot of fun. Trucks come by to sell ice, wood, and other provisions. It's fun, a fucking party, and the portopoties are disgusting. If you go with a group I'd suggest renting your own portojohn... A rental company will drop it off at your parking spot the day before the race with a lock & combo for you to use it. Highly recommended. They have public showers and a bus that takes people to and from the showers in the morning. It works out pretty well.
For the actual race itself, I don't give a fuck about it. I'm bored to death during the race but it is a rush when they start out and when they're in tight. You can't help but stand up and cheer when 30 cars packed in tight come in front of you, it's just awesome. Last few years I've brought a radio and paid for NFL satelite radio and I listened to NFL games during the race.

It's loud as fuck, you MUST wear ear protection or you'll be fucked, trust me. Noise cancelling headphones or serious ear protection is a must.

Most race events are a weekend of events. Like, Friday night will be a junior race series, saturday will be a day of racing... Maybe 2-3 races, usualyl shorter ones in different styles of car. I like the truck races and the modifieds... Modified are super light quick kit cars and they only do like 75-lap races, which I think is a lot more fun than the 300 lap race on Sunday.

bet on the races, it makes it bearable. You can bet like in Fantasy football, basically you draft a team of drivers, or you can do a pool ssytem where if you go with say... 8 people, everybody gets 4 drivers and you average their finishes together plus get bonuses for finishing 1-3 or whatever in each session. It makes it a lot more fun. Speaking of whivh I like the "new" format of splitting the race into 3 legs, again, adds more fun.

The fan experience is pretty cool. NASCAR really does fan experience right.

Smoking technically isn't allowed in the seats/stands, but there's smoking areas everywhere, and nobody cares if you take a drag of a joint or w/e once in a while. On Fri/Sat nobody cares if you smoke in the stands as long as you do it apart from other people.

NASCAR is genuinely fun, I'm not into it and I don't really follow it, but my in-laws are into it and I have a blast every time I go up. I think the weekend takes about..... 6mos off of my liver. But it's a blast.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Racists will just co-opt other iconography.

NASCAR races are fun to go to though, largely for the tailgate scene.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
And meanwhile, less then two years ago, the NFL caved to the "why football man not stand" fucks. What the hell is this timeline?

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Goddamn, I never expected this from NASCAR. Gives me a shred of hope that Live P.D. might get cancelled too.

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
My late father, a devout Nascar fan as well as an all around piece of shit racist, is probably rolling over in his grave with this news and I can't help but LMAO.

Great decision!

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Literally MUH HERITAGE
giphy.gif

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I am shocked and surprised, and happy with this. If you've ever been to a race, fucking confederate flags are as common as the American flag... even in, like, New Hampshire. It's wild. Last time I went to a race was... 2017 I think, and the people we were with (I went with my in-laws and they met up with like... 20 different people) Go and hang a confederate flag off of their tent area, and I was like... wtf is this bull shit. I actually made up a lie and said that my friend's brother was coming and he was in the Marines (which is true) and that he gets pissed when he sees the confederate flag and he'll get into ana argument with you about it. He wouldn't, he's very easy going and wouldn't give a fuck even though he might side-eye someone who does it, but that got them to take it down.

NASCAR races are a blaaaast. But some things to look out for/tips:
  1. They've banned confederate flags, which is great, but ... it's still a bunch of good ol boys. It's very white, very Republican, very conservative, like working class conservative.
  2. They pray before races. Like, a pastor will give a big prayer before the race.
  3. It's the biggest party you'll ever go to. NASCAR actually encourages people to bring coolers into the stands... Where as, like the NFL you're obviously banned from bringing outside beverages, at NASCAR, eevrybody brings a cooler stocked with beer. *everybody* If you finish your beer, you can leave and go back to your car and stock back up (at least, if you're staying there / camping). When I go, we have 2 wagons that we pack with coolers, and probably bring... ~100 beers into the race maybe.
  4. Tens of thousands of people camp at the races over night, you rent out a space either for your car, RV, or w/e and you stay for the weekend.
  5. Every race has a "party lot" or "party area," which is an overnight parking lot usually near the event space that is a fucking... massive party. Like, a party like you've never seen before.
  6. 98% of the people are very nice, very welcoming. I'm a liberal elitist, basically the opposite of who would go to most NASCAR stuff, everybody has always been super nice to me as long as you're there to have a good time.
  7. Weed, drugs, alcohol, anything goes
  8. Staying over/camping is a lot of fun. Trucks come by to sell ice, wood, and other provisions. It's fun, a fucking party, and the portopoties are disgusting. If you go with a group I'd suggest renting your own portojohn... A rental company will drop it off at your parking spot the day before the race with a lock & combo for you to use it. Highly recommended. They have public showers and a bus that takes people to and from the showers in the morning. It works out pretty well.
For the actual race itself, I don't give a fuck about it. I'm bored to death during the race but it is a rush when they start out and when they're in tight. You can't help but stand up and cheer when 30 cars packed in tight come in front of you, it's just awesome. Last few years I've brought a radio and paid for NFL satelite radio and I listened to NFL games during the race.

It's loud as fuck, you MUST wear ear protection or you'll be fucked, trust me. Noise cancelling headphones or serious ear protection is a must.

Most race events are a weekend of events. Like, Friday night will be a junior race series, saturday will be a day of racing... Maybe 2-3 races, usualyl shorter ones in different styles of car. I like the truck races and the modifieds... Modified are super light quick kit cars and they only do like 75-lap races, which I think is a lot more fun than the 300 lap race on Sunday.

bet on the races, it makes it bearable. You can bet like in Fantasy football, basically you draft a team of drivers, or you can do a pool ssytem where if you go with say... 8 people, everybody gets 4 drivers and you average their finishes together plus get bonuses for finishing 1-3 or whatever in each session. It makes it a lot more fun. Speaking of whivh I like the "new" format of splitting the race into 3 legs, again, adds more fun.

The fan experience is pretty cool. NASCAR really does fan experience right.

Smoking technically isn't allowed in the seats/stands, but there's smoking areas everywhere, and nobody cares if you take a drag of a joint or w/e once in a while. On Fri/Sat nobody cares if you smoke in the stands as long as you do it apart from other people.

NASCAR is genuinely fun, I'm not into it and I don't really follow it, but my in-laws are into it and I have a blast every time I go up. I think the weekend takes about..... 6mos off of my liver. But it's a blast.

You make it sound kind of fun, but I don't know if I can get over it being filled with

EAIIw1XXoAIr4fH.jpg

I work with 95% hardcore trump republicans. I'm literally at work right now listening to them bitch about black lives matter and I'm exhausted. I don't think I'd ever be able to work myself up to wanting to party with them, or being a lone black person surrounded by people that want to drive around with confederate flags. I also find it hard to believe they wouldn't be drunkenly talking about politics and shit.

Do you ever see groups of black people there enjoying themselves?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
You make it sound kind of fun, but I don't know if I can get over it being filled with

EAIIw1XXoAIr4fH.jpg

I work with 95% hardcore trump republicans. I'm literally at work right now listening to them bitch about black lives matter and I'm exhausted. I don't think I'd ever be able to work myself up to wanting to party with them, or being a lone black person surrounded by people that want to drive around with confederate flags. I also find it hard to believe they wouldn't be drunkenly talking about politics and shit.

You see black people at NASCAR races, but not many, and I don't think I've ever seen a group of black people at a NASCAR race... Granted, it's also New Hamphire... one of the whitest states in the country. It's overwhelmingly white. Around me, in the North East, the non-white people at races are usually Latino, modifieds and the kit cars seem to be more popular. It might be different in the south or other parts of the US where there are larger black populations, as opposed to NH which is like ~90+% white.

You see a lot more working class white people than the people in that photo, like... real working poor white people. Lots of Trump flags. They're not having the race this year, but I'd imagine it'd be fucking Trump central.

I wouldn't ever go to nascar if my in-laws weren't into it. It's weird because they're not 'good old boy red necks' either, they're like...... jimmy buffet grateful dead phish heads, but they also for whatever reason love NASCAR. I spent most of my life making fun of nascar, and I still don't like it, but I kinda get why they like it now and I don't hate it, it's like something to have on the TV at family cookouts during the summer. Fantasy nascar makes it a lot more tollerable for me.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
You see black people at NASCAR races, but not many, and I don't think I've ever seen a group of black people at a NASCAR race... Granted, it's also New Hamphire... one of the whitest states in the country. It's overwhelmingly white. Around me, in the North East, the non-white people at races are usually Latino, modifieds and the kit cars seem to be more popular. It might be different in the south or other parts of the US where there are larger black populations, as opposed to NH which is like ~90+% white.

You see a lot more working class white people than the people in that photo, like... real working poor white people. Lots of Trump flags. They're not having the race this year, but I'd imagine it'd be fucking Trump central.

I wouldn't ever go to nascar if my in-laws weren't into it. It's weird because they're not 'good old boy red necks' either, they're like...... jimmy buffet grateful dead phish heads, but they also for whatever reason love NASCAR. I spent most of my life making fun of nascar, and I still don't like it, but I kinda get why they like it now and I don't hate it, it's like something to have on the TV at family cookouts during the summer. Fantasy nascar makes it a lot more tollerable for me.
My gf was never into it before meeting me, and was surprised at how much she liked it once she got attached to the personalities of the drivers and how much contact there is with stock car racing. I'm a fan of motorsports in general and watch most major series, but NASCAR is my main specifically because the racing is the most entertaining to me. So it's interesting to see her reactions to stuff the past few years as she's gotten more used to it. She's super liberal and loves this direction they are going too.

Also you don't need to feel so insecure about watching it or defend yourself for your lack of interest outside of what you do. It's fine man lol.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I never understood the source of pride in the confederate flag. They lost the war. They're losers.

It really is just a symbol of hatred at this point.

If you fly a Confederate flag you're a traitor. If you fly a Nazi flag, you're a traitor. Those flags represent our enemies from prior wars.

There's no reason why corporations or private owned business need to allow people to do it. And I'm glad to see even NASCAR do the right thing here.

This should be a standard practice across the board for every business.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019

EAIIw1XXoAIr4fH.jpg

I've been to races at Dover, New Hampshire, Richmond, and Daytona, and as a Liberal Elite I've had nothing but pleasant experiences. For the most part no one talks about anything of consequence because:

1. Everyone is there to have fun
  2. You can't hear enough to have a serious conversation
  3. I gather most NASCAR fans are politically apathetic. Conservative, but non-voters.
Most NASCAR fans are completely pleasant and are just there to have fun. That said, I don't know about places like Talladega, Alabama or Darlington, South Carolina, or even Martinsville Virginia. These are three tracks that I would love to go to, but they're either in the very deep south, or very isolated. Talladega in particular has a reputation for being THE place to go and party. But after watching the sport for 34 years, I don't think I would be comfortable there. But most other places are cosmopolitan enough that I think you would be comfortable.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the freedom of speech argument is invalid. That freedom is specifically prescribed by the United States of America, which the confederacy was very specifically seceding from.

I wouldn't expect them to have thought through anything remotely that deep though.
Actually, the First Amendment would lean in the other direction - you can fly whatever flag you want without fear of government persecution. But, that doesn't mean business, private individuals, or even public corporations need to accept it.