• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
People really think that first amendment rights applies to everything in life, including being an asshole.

I have repeatedly told people in private to maybe rethink an unsavoury social media post and mentioned that other people have gotten fired for similar posts. I then get a 'is that a tjreat' reply. So I no longer do that unless it's family. Thankfully I haven't had to do that.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"To be fair, NASCAR is well-known for only turning to the left."
Not gonna lie. That made me chuckle.

about time this happened

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Mitch McConnell gives his two cents without actually saying what he's referring to:

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Holy fuck, I didn't expect this from NASCAR. Took them long enough, but better late than never.

Mitch McConnell gives his two cents without actually saying what he's referring to:

"Anti-speech silencing tactics are a cancer in a free and open society."

Same people:
"JUST STICK TO [X]"
"DON'T YOU BRING POLITICS IN MY [X]"

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad recent events are bringing greater attention to the fact that the confederate flag is the flag of traitors who abandoned the union and declared war on america over their "right" to be racist, and lost. Flying a confederate flag is unpatriotic, immoral, and the flag of the losers.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017

5c57418ceb3ce8131635ac13

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not that they are specifically fighting the same exact plight but I'd love for teams like the Redskins to change their name.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm just incredibly cynical, but am I the only one that finds a lot of these actions disingenuous as fuck and incredibly hollow? Like it took you until 2020 and a black man being murdered on camera by police to decide to ban the fucking confederate flag? And I'm supposed to be happy? That's supposed to be progress? If anything these are just depressing reminders of how slow "progress" actually comes in this country.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
This is said all the time but I never get to hear what their actual response is when it's point out that the stars and fucking bars is the flag of traitors to the United States.

It's just like the GOP's approach to "small government" with businesses:

"Small Government/Business freedom!....No not like that!"

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
I love that they go rid of it.

If anything, it's helping out the closet racists on my friends list.

I'm in NE Ohio... nothing makes me laugh more than when someone from here touts the "heritage" argument. (Which is weak as hell to begin with)
MF'er, you are from OHIO.. you have never even BEEN to the south. It's not your heritage.. you're just a racist hillbilly.

Oct 25, 2017
I never understood the source of pride in the confederate flag. They lost the war. They're losers.

It really is just a symbol of hatred at this point.

If you fly a Confederate flag you're a traitor. If you fly a Nazi flag, you're a traitor. Those flags represent our enemies from prior wars.

There's no reason why corporations or private owned business need to allow people to do it. And I'm glad to see even NASCAR do the right thing here.

This should be a standard practice across the board for every business.
Because they were brainwashed

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm just incredibly cynical, but am I the only one that finds a lot of these actions disingenuous as fuck and incredibly hollow? Like it took you until 2020 and a black man being murdered on camera by police to decide to ban the fucking confederate flag? And I'm supposed to be happy? That's supposed to be progress? If anything these are just depressing reminders of how slow "progress" actually comes in this country.

I say this in about every thread that has these companies "picking the right side". It is nothing less than sus that it took this long but if it makes conservatives mad and say they won't buy Playstations anymore then I'm there for the salt.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
On one hand, yes. They're not doing this because this is the right thing to do and they suddenly grew a conscience. They had decades to know what it means, along with the thousands of idiots who brandish the flag and boast of their southern pride and rebel spirit.

BUT... that's also a huge boost for me that this is a fight we're winning, because they're not doing it because they want to, but because they are seeing where the wind is blowing and jumping on the bandwagon. If they thought it would be more beneficial to remain silent, they would've done so. They're seeing which side is going to "win" this culture war and have determined the protesters are the winning side.

That's both depressing that they'll only join in once the sea of change arrives, but also a huge boon for those fighting this fight. NASCAR is DEEPLY entrenched in racist, southern, regressive, bigoted culture, so if even THEY are taking these steps, it's a MASSIVE sign of the changing culture.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I agree they are disingenuous and just about being "on brand" right now.

But it still says a lot that being "on brand" is supporting this issue, even in predominantly white venues, even if the support is only as a marketing point.

They're still risking alienating (racist) fans with this approach and, I gently applaud them for at least doing something, rather than nothing. Or worse - doing this rather than coming out with a hateful ALM stance.

I agree with you, however, that progress has been painfully slow on these types of issues. But in recent years prior to George Floyd's death, it's actually been worse than slow, it's been downright regressive. At least we are going from regression to progression here.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
What meaning does a plain white flag have?

I'm guessing something KKK related?

The white flag is the flag of surrender in war.

In NASCAR and most top tier racing series, it is used to signify that the race is entering the final lap. In lower tier amateur motorsports or track day events, it can be used to signify that a driver is approaching slower vehicles.