Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
One thing that's important to keep in mind going into P6, is that we have a new director, which will mean some new direction and likely some drastic changes on some level. I'd be surprised if we just ended up getting P3 Redux again, with Hashino no longer involved. It wouldn't make sense.
If anything my fear would be the opposite. Without Hashino Atlus might want to play it super safe because of the new fans brought in with 5 and that this will be, in all likelihood, Atlus's most expensive game yet. I hope I'm wrong. I still expect there to be Social Links, calendars, and dungeon crawling, but I hope they find ways to mix it up and keep things fresh.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
This is good news.

Maybe this means that they might also add that Dynasty Warriors one to Xbox?

Every new(?) Persona game on Xbox is one step closer to that Warriors game being on there and me punching armies of...whatever Persona is about. Anime teens(?)

Not going to lie, that kinda pisses me off because that game is why I bought my PS5...

Edit: oh ffs, this is obviously a joke post
Wild that needed the edit 😄

The writing is on the wall for Atlus. Gif of Jeff Goldblum in Jurrasic Park saying "There it is"

convo

Oct 25, 2017
It only took several decades to get things in working order, Atlus despite all these years still ain't about being ambitious or going outside their initial budget so this would be planned from the start. But the time-scales we are talking about when it comes to Atlus Projects, the PS6 will be closer to the horizon before it actually releases.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
The exclusivity rumors never made sense. SEGA has said that they want to do multiplatform releases for it's games to investors. Since that every game was multi and they ported and released new Persona games on all platforms. They were not going back to exclusivity after that.

Besides there is zero proof there even was a deal for Persona series with Sony. It's based on a comment from Sony Japan CEO in which he said it's important to them. Fact is Persona 5 was never even shown at any Sony events or press conferences which does not make sense if they signed any deal.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy is about to be left in the dust, lol.
It's good that Atlus has embraced multiplatform releases.

St. Eam the 3rd

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 18, 2022
Oh nice, I'll only need a switch2 going forward it seems which is good:).

Also it will be a good showing for SE, don't fall for silly moneyhats, grow your franchises

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I thought Sony wanted the game to release in 2025 instead of 2026 and now it's multiplatform ?

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Sony wanted the game to release in 2025 instead of 2026 and now it's multiplatform ?
What can Sony do about that exactly? It's not like they are publishing them, so what sway they got would come down to throwing money at them. Is that really a tactics good enough to make a game come out faster?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Even though I dont really trust the leaker... this is still good news if true. The Persona series is now at a point where it doesnt need to suffer stuck on just one platform, reaching more fans across multiple platforms is gonna net them more sales, and grow the series all the more. So glad Atlus have gotten with the times and is getting this stuff on PC, Switch 2, Xbox etc. Now your turn Square....

Square is going to get left in the dust with their years late PC ports. Every other Japanese third party is embarrassing them.
Yup, I pointed the same thing out in another thread. You have Capcom, Sega and many more Japanese devs putting more focus on PC and multi platform dev because they realise that they can get way more sales this way, and grow the series exponentially outside of Japan. Then you have Square who seem stuck in the PS2 era back when PS actually sells well in Japan... Its definitely gonna come back to bite them eventually.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Even though I dont really trust the leaker... this is still good news if true. The Persona series is now at a point where it doesnt need to suffer stuck on just one platform, reaching more fans across multiple platforms is gonna net them more sales, and grow the series all the more. So glad Atlus have gotten with the times and is getting this stuff on PC, Switch 2, Xbox etc. Now your turn Square....
I think most of their teams have transitioned into the more modern multiplat strategy. SMTV seemed to have been just a scuffed development from the beginning what with directors changing. If they were the SMT4 team who only have been experienced with up to 3ds specs than it would be no wonder they had a hard time with hd development. We should be over the scuffed HD era games now.

CosmiKu

Jul 9, 2023
It definitely feels like PC and Switch is where the audience for these games is either moving to, or is finding these games (not just the Persona series, but RPGs in general) and wants to play them on those platforms.

I think the flexibility and hybrid nature of both platforms is really appealing to the kinds of people that want to sink their teeth into a long game.

While an RPG wouldn't necessarily sell badly on just PS5, it feels like a missed opportunity to release your game exclusively for it, even for a limited time. You're needlessly kneecapping your own game, and potentially series interest and growth in the long run by doing it.

If the leak's true, Sega/Atlus are right to not make Persona 6 exclusive to any one platform.

Sir Lucan

Dec 19, 2023
That's right pre-tgs only to announce a PS4 version. Every new trailer and reveals were done by Atlus during their own events and the game was never show during Sony E3 for example.
Which is insane to me given how good these games are. I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of the reasons SEGA made that deal with Microsoft, at least Xbox is putting Atlus' games front and center on their events.

Witchcraft

"This guy are sick"
Oct 9, 2022
It definitely feels like PC and Switch is where the audience for these games is either moving to, or is finding these games (not just the Persona series, but RPGs in general) and wants to play them on those platforms.
In general both Switch and PS are better platforms for jrpg sales than PC. PC is good of course but I think there's a tendency to massively exaggerate the sales on the platform.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
In general both Switch and PS are better platforms for jrpg sales than PC. PC is good of course but I think there's a tendency to massively exaggerate the sales on the platform.
PC has it's own intricacies (more price sensitive, heavily catalog based, etc) but it really is a huge platform for the genre too, we have too many crazy success stories on it realistically say otherwise. Dark Souls, Elden Ring, Tales, Valkyria Chronicles, Yakuza, Persona, Final Fantasy, NieR, Dragon's Dogma, Monster Hunter, Ys, Trails, Palworld, etc, have all seen installments sell competitively and even lead in sales sometimes on PC. Globally it's vitally important too in markets where consoles are traditionally weaker (Asia outside Japan, eastern Europe, Central & South America, Middle East, Africa, etc).

Witchcraft

"This guy are sick"
Oct 9, 2022
PC has it's own intricacies (more price sensitive, heavily catalog based, etc) but it really is a huge platform for the genre too, we have too many crazy success stories on it realistically say otherwise. Dark Souls, Elden Ring, Tales, Valkyria Chronicles, Yakuza, Persona, Final Fantasy, NieR, Dragon's Dogma, Monster Hunter, Ys, Trails, Palworld, etc, have all seen installments sell competitively and even lead in sales sometimes on PC. Globally it's vitally important too in markets where consoles are traditionally weaker (Asia outside Japan, eastern Europe, Central & South America, Middle East, Africa, etc).
Oh definitely. If you're a jrpg you want to be on PC for sure but there's a tendency on here to suggest it's always the leading platform when the data we have suggests it's not. For Souls games absolutely it is without question, but for traditional jrpgs it does well of course but generally still behind PS/Switch. I'm not arguing against the notion that there's a sizeable audience for this genre on the platform but rather the notion that it's the primary platform.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

I think the flexibility and hybrid nature of both platforms is really appealing to the kinds of people that want to sink their teeth into a long game.

While an RPG wouldn't necessarily sell badly on just PS5, it feels like a missed opportunity to release your game exclusively for it, even for a limited time. You're needlessly kneecapping your own game, and potentially series interest and growth in the long run by doing it.

If the leak's true, Sega/Atlus are right to not make Persona 6 exclusive to any one platform.

Switch yes, Playstation still outsells PC when it comes to JRPGs. I think people underestimate how much JRPGs sell on playstation due to lackluster Japan sales, when the reality is that JRPGS have world wide appeal now. They do well on PC of course, and there are certain exceptions such as the Souls series, but in general you only need to look at Steam DB and general sales charts to see how much PC still lags behind playstation with sales on most traditional JRPGs. I imagine that market will continue to grow though, and one that japanese publishers should embrace for sure.

STHX

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
JRPGs on Steam are a new thing for sure, but I think steam users are catching up. According to steamdb Tales of Arise has 32263 reviews (with a player peak of 60274). We know that is sold 3 millions up until February 2024. The available tracking would put ita bit shy of 1 million, so pc accounts for less than 1/3 total sales (most likely PS platforms are on top)
A more recent example with Persona 3 Reload (more pertinent with this thread and most of all released on the same platform, ergo no Switch for both) shows it has 17107 reviews with a peak of 45002. We know it sold 1 million copies as of February 2024. Tracking would put it from 300k to 400k so from 1/3 to a bit higher (I would bet PS still tracks as the platform with the highest amount of users). This shows JRPGs on Steam are slowly gaining in popularity over the years. I really wonder how Persona 6 in 2025 will do honestly

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Oh definitely. If you're a jrpg you want to be on PC for sure but there's a tendency on here to suggest it's always the leading platform when the data we have suggests it's not. For Souls games absolutely it is without question, but for traditional jrpgs it does well of course but generally still behind PS/Switch. I'm not arguing against the notion that there's a sizeable audience for this genre on the platform but rather the notion that it's the primary platform.
Yeah, I think that's fair. The truth is the biggest JRPG markets also tend to be those where consoles lead (Japan, US, France, etc) so there's a bit of synergy to that. And also one of the biggest JRPG pubs is console only (Nintendo) while some notable studios are console only or console lead too (like Vanillaware, Falcom, etc).

Muffin Awesome

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 30, 2017

Yes to the top two points, double now with steam deck and likes of the ally/legion go.

CosmiKu

Jul 9, 2023

Switch yes, Playstation still outsells PC when it comes to JRPGs. I think people underestimate how much JRPGs sell on playstation due to lackluster Japan sales, when the reality is that JRPGS have world wide appeal now. They do well on PC of course, and there are certain exceptions such as the Souls series, but in general you only need to look at Steam DB and general sales charts to see how much PC still lags behind playstation with sales on most traditional JRPGs. I imagine that market will continue to grow though, and one that japanese publishers should embrace for sure.
I think my point was more about direction of travel than overall sales in the here and now. But yes, you're both right that PlayStation is a bigger market for JRPGs than PC. For now.

I think static consoles will continue to be great places to play JRPGs but I think the next generation of gamers (aka where the growth is) will want to play these games on devices that aren't PS5/Xbox Series or their successors (unless they too adopt a flexible and portable hardware model) because their expectation of a gaming device is different to gen-z/millennials and older.

I think if you're releasing a game just for static consoles, you're basically releasing to a mature market at this point. Finding all players where they want to play is the future, which is why supporting portable devices (Switch, PC handhelds, laptops and tablets) is becoming increasingly more important.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
The question is will it be on Game Pass?
I'd guess no, but there's a reason why they've put P3 through P5 and now put Reload on Game Pass. Sega will be looking for (and will get) that same pop in audience that they did by putting all of those Yakuza games including Like a Dragon on Game Pass prior to outright selling Infinite Wealth. They seem to be taking the super easy, available methods of growing an audience for future sales.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Nha, Atlus doesn't put completely new games on there. Even games like Judgement which has much lower sales potential weren't day one gamepass. Basically remakes and/or older games are day one, everything else is later.

yeah older games like persona 3 reload and metaphor refantazio

whatchu talkin about willis? not that i think p6 will be day one in any way, but no, its not just old games.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
JRPGs on Steam are a new thing for sure, but I think steam users are catching up. According to steamdb Tales of Arise has 32263 reviews (with a player peak of 60274). We know that is sold 3 millions up until February 2024. The available tracking would put ita bit shy of 1 million, so pc accounts for less than 1/3 total sales (most likely PS platforms are on top)
A more recent example with Persona 3 Reload (more pertinent with this thread and most of all released on the same platform, ergo no Switch for both) shows it has 17107 reviews with a peak of 45002. We know it sold 1 million copies as of February 2024. Tracking would put it from 300k to 400k so from 1/3 to a bit higher (I would bet PS still tracks as the platform with the highest amount of users). This shows JRPGs on Steam are slowly gaining in popularity over the years. I really wonder how Persona 6 in 2025 will do honestly
Tracking off just reviews can vary wildy, it's why all the tracking outlets who do this to also factor player counts, revenue charts and sometimes also direct sampling into their methodology.

As a good counter example, P4G only has 67k reviews (not that much more than P3R) and yet we know it sold over a million on Steam in it's first year alone. You'll find similar disparities for other confirmed million sellers on Steam like Yakuza 0 (65k reviews) or Valkyrie Chronicles (just 12k reviews!).

If you want a good ballpark for Steam sales the best thing is probably just do an aggregate of the four trackers SteamDB provides. In which case we'd have:

P3R: 436,450
TOA: 1,195,425

Not that far from your estimates tbh but still above the ceilings you gave.

edit: oh, I mixed some reviews and player counts you gave. Sorry!

Last edited:

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
Nha, Atlus doesn't put completely new games on there. Even games like Judgement which has much lower sales potential weren't day one gamepass. Basically remakes and/or older games are day one, everything else is later.
The question is how long after till it's added. 6-12 months? They clearly love subscription money.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
The question is how long after till it's added. 6-12 months? They clearly love subscription money.

If I had to guess I would say a year, but that is purely speculation. It is probably also based on how well it sells. If it sells millions on xbox, they are hardly going to put it on gamepass quickly.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
Not going to lie, that kinda pisses me off because that game is why I bought my PS5...

Edit: oh ffs, this is obviously a joke post
I know you are joking but this legit reminded me of a guy I knew that got a PS3 for The Last Guardian lol.
His other most anticipated game was agent lmao.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Metaphor isn't on gamepass

huh
did they cancel it or is this some mandela effect shit. i was sure it was announced as gamepass

theres even this video from xbox asia saying it too

www.youtube.com

Metaphor: ReFantazio — Announcement Trailer | Xbox Game Pass, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Windows PC

Enter the mirror of reality… into the pinnacle of fantasy. ⚔️Fight for the future in Metaphor: ReFantazio, releasing on Xbox Series X|S and Windows PC in 202...

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
No reason for me to get a PS5 now with FF16 getting a PC port soon enough as well. Seems like it'll be very much PC + Switch 2 for me this generation

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
If I had to guess I would say a year, but that is purely speculation. It is probably also based on how well it sells. If it sells millions on xbox, they are hardly going to put it on gamepass quickly.
Well they are putting the dlc for reload on GP, even though it seems have sold well (what the share on Xbox is idk). Also remember it'll also be on PC (not just the console).

Anyway we'll know more from Infinite Wealth. Ishin was 6 months after, I think.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
GamePass seems unlikely, they wanna sell +5m units across all systems at 70 bucks.

Doubt MS is willing to pay the premium Atlus/Sega would be charging for a new mainline game. Maybe at some point down the line to maximize the business and Push potrnial paid DLC...at launch seems very unlikely. Unless MS has already bought Sega at that point or is planning to.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
wym its totally gonna blow out pokemon red and blue

You know, is there a reason why people tend to just... forget that Pokemon is a JRPG? Maybe because as a franchise it just stands so far above literally everything else in the genre (and most other media franchises in general)?
I think people treat it as more of a "monster RPG" even though it is by definition a Japanese RPG. Also because the games are primarily aimed at kids so it has a bit of a stigma in that regard, I suppose.

But yeah, JRPG discussion tends to ignore the elephant in the room with Pokemon. And I'm not talking about Donphan...
Playing the latest entries next to any modern JRPG is why. Hell in the many SV threads some of the people defending it were saying they shouldn't be compared to that and how they just did their own thing. So ... can't really walk that back solely for a sales discussion. Oh now it's a JRPG again for the sake of arguing it's the best selling one.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Unless I'm mistaken, Nate also mentioned a while back that this won't be on last-gen hardware. If so, this could be the biggest jump in visuals we've seen from Persona.

But where is going to launch Persona 6 Platinum.
Seems like the new guard for Persona are moving more towards DLC expansions as opposed to separate releases.

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
Since you are still around, not banned and you clarified about the ff7 rebirth fail, I guess some of your atlus sources might be legit. Actually at some point I thought you were Midori lol
So do you actually know about the mascot for P6 ?
What was the clarification for Rebirth? I believe him on Atlus for the record but I'm curious how the square stuff concluded