• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
This hurts. Was one of my favorite games this year. Actually one of my favorite JRPGS from Square. I hope it sells in the long run with price drops etc

Raidou

Oct 25, 2017
One of the best games I ever played is gonna take the Gravity Rush path because of the same shit marketing. This is sad.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
maybe the money they got from the EGS deal evened things out? (idk if that's how it works)

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
S-E sure love selling games on EGS to a non existing audience for a quick extra buck.

Obvisouly also a great way to expand your plattform userbase over time. /s

They should learn from Capcom.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I was very excited for the game when I first heard about it, then it just really entirely fell off my radar. I only thought about it again because I took advantage of the original TWEWY being free to play for a week and what an amazing experience it was, even with the janky joycon controls. I am happy to hear the sequel is a great finale in spite of the underperforming sales.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I mean, market a sequel to a niche 2009 DS game all you like guys, I don't think that's necessarily the problem

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well that sucks. Game is really good. It has its issues (pacing, battles could be repetitive), but I loved the world and characters so much. Think it was the RPG Site Podcast that mentioned how the character voices are so powerful, that you could take away the portraits, voices, and all reference to name, and you'd still know who's who. One can dislike the plot, or even the characters themselves! But dang if they aren't memorable and well-written.

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
I have the impression that, if the series had been called 'The Reapers Game', it would be a bit more successful. In the end, I think SE dropped the ball hard with the marketing and should have released it when the anime started airing l.

I was really hoping for a DLC having Shiki and Rhyme as party members :/ Also, it feels a bit wrong not at least seeing Eri after you spent the entire having a partner with her appearance.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Hurts but sadly saw it coming
If they don't continue it in any form, it ended on a great game and I'm fine with that after x years of so many teases and ports and twister remixes

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I mean it would be cool if it were popular but it was a miracle the game happened in the first place after such a long time
Be happy we even got a sequel
That's my take on it. I though we would never get a sequel and TWEWY is my favorite DS game, but it seemed close to impossible to get a sequel and we got NEO and I really loved it way too much :)

I said many times before it released that it would probably bomb or know sell but after seeing the numbers we got it still but me.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
The fact that I don't know what the game is about means it wasn't marketed well.

Food for thought, I never knew what SMT was until they marketed nocturne HD and 5. Bought both of them as a result.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I will always want Square to be willing to keep making these AA game, well...It just wasn't a very good game so I hope the failed expectations won't deter them from making something better someday.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Oh? The game you didn't even bother to advertise, even at your E3 event, and decided to not release on Steam? Really?

Really?

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I will always want Square to be willing to keep making these AA game, well...It just wasn't a very good game so I hope the failed expectations won't deter them from making something better someday.
???

The game was very well received, and SE makes a point to point that out in their report. This is a really great game with fun gameplay, amazing OST, good writing and voice acting. It has flaws but that's any game out there.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Square Enix:
3MkxB7k_d.jpg

lol

Oct 25, 2017
Two of my favorite games of the year being NEO TWEWY and GOTG are both Square Enix games they just marketed absolutely piss poorly.

I am still blown away we got a sequel, and honestly I am content with the reality we won't be getting another. Just happy NEO exists.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
???

The game was very well received, and SE makes a point to point that out in their report. This is a really great game with fun gameplay, amazing OST, good writing and voice acting. It has flaws but that's any game out there.
I mean, I didn't like the game so I'm not sure what you're wanting to say here? Did I need to put "in my opinion" in my post? A game can be well receive and still have people that didn't jive with it and I was one of those people, as I found it a disappointing follow-up to the first game with extremely mediocre, tedious gameplay and very underwhelming writing. The OST is great for sure, but the only character I felt was voiced decently was Rindo and the less said about Nahi the better.

I didn't say I was glad the game failed or anything lol, I just hope they don't see this games failed sales as a reason to not experiment and fund smaller projects like this.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I didn't like the game so I'm not sure what you're wanting to say here? Did I need to put "in my opinion" in my post? A game can be well receive and still have people that didn't jive with it and I was one of those people, as I found it a disappointing follow-up to the first game with extremely mediocre, tedious gameplay and very underwhelming writing. The OST is great for sure, but the only character I felt was voiced decently was Rindo and the less said about Nahi the better.

I didn't say I was glad the game failed or anything lol, I just hope they don't see this games failed sales as a reason to not experiment and fund smaller projects like this.
Yeah, because a general statement like "it just wasn't a very good game" without emphasizing that it was your experience misrepresented your post thus my confusion and "???" reply.

I don't disagree with you on that notion. It wasn't going to be everybody's cup of tea, and I think everybody had different expectations about what they wanted in a TWEWY sequel, but it seems at least the majority of fans were satisfied by this entry as a whole. Nothing wrong with your opinion. Just the "in my opinion" part wasn't clear to me from your initial post.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Who knew? Marketing something poorly can make it but sell well. I'm sad the franchise will inevitably end with this one, but I am okay with it because we got closure, and there's a thread to bring a sequel on if they really wanted, but there's not any grand unanswered mystery if they don't.

Please buy the game! It's among my top two games this year.

They should really take notes from Atlus' marketing campaign for Shin Megami Tensei V.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
TIL that it's not only out, but there's a PC version. Don't know how I completely missed the boat on this one.

Oct 25, 2017
This. Video Games are products by sold big companies. It's on them to make the product successful, not the audience. People can buy 5 copies if they want to, if it's a product that's not marketed enough, it will not sell.

that demo didn't help either
The demo was awesome.

It was like, holy shit they actually pulled it off.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, market a sequel to a niche 2009 DS game all you like guys, I don't think that's necessarily the problem
It absolutely is. The fact that so many people, even ones that never played the first game, recognize music from it is really telling. Just getting this thing more in mindshare would have been huge.

Oct 25, 2017
It absolutely is. The fact that so many people, even ones that never played the first game, recognize music from it is really telling. Just getting this thing more in mindshare would have been huge.
I think it's a mix of both. It could've been marketed better, but I'm not gonna say it wasn't marketed at all. How many ports, an anime, a demo, released against very little competition.

My interest mostly stemmed from my love of the first game and even then I wasn't actually excited until I played the demo.

But say it got your attention when the sequel was announced, what exactly would be the pull for newcomers?

Like, SMTV gets it's big marketing push, and people familiar with Atlus' other games might try it, but if I know I like other series for X and SMTV doesn't do that, then I know I'm not gonna buy it. I feel like it's the same thing here.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe if they actually marketed it.

As a huge fan of the original since it's release, it was really a stroke of luck that we even got NEO in the first place.

Shame though, the game is in my top 3 for the year.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
The original is still my fav DS game and Neo was really great. It's a shame it didn't sell well.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a mix of both. It could've been marketed better, but I'm not gonna say it wasn't marketed at all. How many ports, an anime, a demo, released against very little competition.

My interest mostly stemmed from my love of the first game and even then I wasn't actually excited until I played the demo.

But say it got your attention when the sequel was announced, what exactly would be the pull for newcomers?
Pretty much the same thing they sold the first game on, except actually marketed on a decent scale: an action RPG with a unique combat system, and other unconventional mechanics such as eating and digesting food, or fashion. An entertaining story and characters too.

The numerous ports were inferior to the DS version, AND they didn't even put the Switch version of it on NSO trial until like last week.

The anime didn't mention any of the events that were in Final Remix and led into NEO. The only thing that even connected it to NEO was saying the demo was available during the airing of the last episode.

Most of all just keep it relevant in people's minds. Shin Megami Tensei V had daily demon videos from E3 until right before the game came out, and then those videos resumed about a week after it's release due to spoilers. TWEWY doesn't have to do daily videos or anything like that, but it should be merely mentioned a lot more often. People in this very thread are saying they didn't even know it existed or is already out. That says a lot. Why was it never in a Nintendo Direct or Sony State of Play? Why wasn't it in Nintendo's E3 Direct that was literally A MONTH before release?

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
My biggest disappointment in years.
TWEWY is one of my favorite games ever, but the sequel, I'm not sure I can articulate it, it's a refinement but along the way it loses what made the first one so special in key areas.

the combat system for starters… I dreaded get into fights. It's numbingly dull, and simplistic, whereas the first game was so innovative for the time, this one feels like it doesn't offers much of anything exciting. I haven't been able to get through week 1 yet :(

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Marketing and releasing on Steam wouldn't have helped this game much. It was just a nice followup to a very old title.

Oct 25, 2017
TWEWY is one of my favorite games ever, but the sequel, I'm not sure I can articulate it, it's a refinement but along the way it loses what made the first one so special in key areas.

the combat system for starters… I dreaded get into fights. It's numbingly dull, and simplistic, whereas the first game was so innovative for the time, this one feels like it doesn't offers much of anything exciting. I haven't been able to get through week 1 yet :(
For what it's worth, the combat system opens up more following the first big boss. It's very timing based in a way that becomes clear the further you go in. But yeah, that first scramble with basic combat gets tedious. And then it takes a while longer to open up a little more after that. But yeah, it hasn't played it's hand at all where you're at.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
The demo was awesome.

It was like, holy shit they actually pulled it off.

it didn't give me that at all - so much so I waited till the game went on sale and TWEWY is very high up there on GOAT list for me. But opinions.

i just don't think it swayed people just like the original struggled with bad rep as a lot of flashcards users would play first few days, get bored like they did with having too many games but proceeded to spread the word the original game was confusing to play but also kinda simplistic.

The demo could've showcased the more involved aspects of the battle system because it came across really simplistic.

I just don't think this game leaves an amazing impression at first beyond the style alone.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017

I hated it at First, and it i am not sure if I love it because in week 2 it still kinda does the same thing but in a more robust way, but it does get much better.

Oct 25, 2017
it didn't give me that at all - so much so I waited till the game went on sale and TWEWY is very high up there on GOAT list for me. But opinions.

i just don't think it swayed people just like the original struggled with bad rep as a lot of flashcards users would play first few days, get bored like they did with having too many games but proceeded to spread the word the original game was confusing to play but also kinda simplistic.

The demo could've showcased the more involved aspects of the battle system because it came across really simplistic.

I just don't think this game leaves an amazing impression at first beyond the style alone.
The "more involved aspects of the game" that didn't make an appearance until a third of the way through?

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
Loved the game. The original is one of my all time favorites, I've 100% both and the week leading up this game's release was such agony for me, I was so impatient.

As much as I would like more, I'm too sour about Square Enix diving into NFT junk so I must admit I take a bit of solace in them missing out on another profitable franchise due to their own lack of marketing skills. I'll simply have to look forward to indies from people trying to keep the TWEWY spirit alive and try to inject some of that flavor in my own projects to get my fix. Oh, and the hopeful return of TWEWY KH cameos in future KH games as well. I still need Three Minutes Clapping Kingdom Mix and a secret boss fight against Sho.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I bought a physical Switch version even if i didn't get past the first week.

Its fun and I like the series.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Reminder that TWEWY had sold as much as Persona 4 on the PS2 back in the day. If they had capitalized on it instead of being the second fiddle to the Kingdom Hearts series, it could have had a chance at being a great success imo

TheRealMoB

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 1, 2020
Don't really understand the marketing complaints. Which audience exactly do you think they missed with their marketing? The game is incredibly niche. Also, marketing on its own isn't what would lead to less than expected sales, to the point they'd consider it to have underperformed

Desma

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017

I kinda felt like that too, but the game is deliberately made it that way.
I'd recommending looking at the Secret Reports. It prolly won't change your opinion, but you hopefully at least understand why it is the way it is

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I didn't like the game as much as the original. The cast isn't as good, the story isn't as tightly made, there's a lot that feels like it could've been cut or explained better, and it doesn't feel like neither a direct sequel to the original nor does it feel like a standalone.

It feels like it's TWEWY 3 and there's a TWEWY 2 that we never got to play. Like they show characters and tell us what arc they had, then expect us to care, but like...well, yeah.

.......That said, I am still so glad this game was made and I had a ton of fun with it. Didn't like it as much as the first one, but still enjoyed it a lot and it served like a long winded epilogue to the characters I loved so much. TWEWY 1 means a lot to me so I'm glad this existed. Bummed out that there won't ever be a sequel because of its sales, but I kind of get it?