• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
One or the other party is lying and possibly holding out for more money. At some point Netflix will be there with a lot of PR and "you guys asked for it, and you got it!" type statements.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix wants Nintendo to pay them to do it, Nintendo says they can do it on their own. So no one does nothing, and we suffer as a result.
Yeah, this probably the situation, which is pretty lame. I don't care which company ends up caving, but one of them needs to. If there's anything that's #PerfectForSwitch™ it's streaming media apps. Gimme that sweet Netflix, YouTube and Crunchyroll on my 7 inch tablet screen. I ain't got no Hulu subscription, lol.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Netflix on the 3DS but not the Switch lol. What timeline are we in?

Switch might have to reach 3DS numbers first before Netflix CEO caves on putting it on the platform.

Uh, what? I don't think Netflix had its streaming service until well after the 360 launched.

You know the PS2's popularity skyrocketed after the PS3 & 360 came out right? So they probably thought it was worth it to put a custom version on it.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017
I don't believe online subscriptions are required to access the Netflix app on consoles
Xbox Live used be necessary for Netflix on Xbox 360, which so irritated me during the PlayStation Network massive outage that I immediately stopped buying anything but Xbox exclusives on the platform. Anything multiplatform went to Playstation.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netflix: Ask Nintendo

Nintendo: Ask Netflix

Netflix: Ask Nintendo

ResetEra: Ask ResetEra

Yeah, it should have been on Switch along with YouTube and an Internet browser a long time ago. It's just weird to have Hulu and Nico Nico but not Netflix and YouTube.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Series in Brazilian Portuguese are called seriados, I think that's European Portuguese (?) (though I must admit I've never seen this disk myself).

That's definitely Brazilian, made by Sonopress, the company that made Disney's DVDs here. Also it says it's made in Manaus, where DVDs are printed in Brazil.

As for "seriados", It used to be like that, but after Netflix, more and more people started calling it "séries".

I used to work at a video store for many years, but I never saw this disc in my life. I also never knew anyone personally who used their PS2 online, so there's that too.

MattWilsonCSS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like they might be sunsetting the Wii U version so maybe a Switch version will come later this year.

That said, the Hulu app on Switch is extremely good, so I wouldn't mind seeing a Netflix app built for the Switch.

Beatle

Dec 4, 2017
Millennials love their Netflix soooo much, it's always Netflix this Netflix that, for the love of God just give it to them so we can hear the end of it :p

Last edited:

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
When Switch first launched it was missing something in the firmware that would allow video streaming.

Netflix made the statement about asking Nintendo why there's not a Netflix app.

One of the firmware updates added whatever was missing preventing video streaming.

Hulu made their video streaming app and confirmed the above info in an interview with IGN.

Nintendo says ask Netflix because they had done that thing on their part that was needed to do.

The ball is now in Netflix' court.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I thought Netflix was removed from vita years ago? Did they bring it back?

Netflix is still available on Vita. The application hasn't been updated in about 6 years, so the interface is slow, clunky, and archaic. Moreover, they never enabled compatibility with PlayStation TV.

It was a welcome addition to the Vita feature set in the early days, but it's barely worth the download now.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No excuse, and yes I put the change in Nintendo, they should be doing everything to have it on there. Ridiculous, same with YouTube

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo isn't at fault when Hulu is already on the console for months. If anything the problem is with Netflix because of that.

Why would Netflix suddenly be adverse to having their app on a console?

Practically anything with a screen enjoys Netflix access.

Given how prevalent Netflix is on just about any device capable of streaming, and given that the service has been available on every other Nintendo console for more than a decade, I'd say the safe bet is Nintendo fucking this one up.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When Switch first launched it was missing something in the firmware that would allow video streaming.

Netflix made the statement about asking Nintendo why there's not a Netflix app.

One of the firmware updates added whatever was missing preventing video streaming.

Hulu made their video streaming app and confirmed the above info in an interview with IGN.

Nintendo says ask Netflix because they had done that thing on their part that was needed to do.

The ball is now in Netflix' court.

It's really not though.

Nintendo needs to make sure the Switch has an app every other console and device (including their own) enjoys.

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
Lancaster County, PA, USA
If Netflix won't do the work to get the app on the Switch, that's on them, not Nintendo. How are people seriously arguing against that? Jesus.

This right here. If Nintendo says "we're not making a Netflix app", and Netflix says "We just can't do it with our billions of dollars to throw at a random app dev that was able to get Shovelwear Tournament #78 upon the eShop!", why do people expect a Netflix app to magically happen?

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If Netflix won't do the work to get the app on the Switch, that's on them, not Nintendo. How are people seriously arguing against that? Jesus.

Because it makes no literal sense.

Again, why would Netflix suddenly shun a device? They make their app available on literally anything that can handle it so why would they opt to ignore a popular device from a company on whose previous hardware they've made the app readily available?

Either Nintendo is gumming up the process or they pissed off Netflix.

There's zero chance Netflix just arbitrarily decided to keep their app off the Switch for no good reason.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Again, why would Netflix suddenly shun a device? They make their app available on literally anything that can handle it so why would they opt to ignore a popular device from a company on whose previous hardware they've made the app readily available?

There's zero chance Netflix just arbitrarily decided to keep their app off the Switch for no good reason.
They pissed off Netflix, because Netflix didn't want to do the work to get their own code running on the damn thing. Again. That is on Netflix. As has been pointed out in the thread, Nintendo fixed the issue on their end with video streaming, hence how Hulu and NicoNico are able to run. They did what they needed to do. Like, Nintendo isn't leaving money on the table here. Netflix just doesn't want to do the work. They made it work on Wii, they sure as hell could get it on the Switch if they really wanted to

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's really dumb. Netflix has no excuse to not port the app in house because well they did it for lesser platforms. Switch is on track to sell 15-20M annually for at least the next 2-3 years barring any unforeseen collapse so they're missing out on so many users

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama

Did you read my comment?

When the Switch launched, it launched without the needed streaming component in the firmware.

Nintendo did their part, they spent the time and money needed to add the functionality to the Switch's firmware.

Other streaming services have used it and made apps.

There is no longer anything blocking the release of a Netflix app other than Netflix not releasing one.

All that's needed for there to be an app is for Netflix to use it and make an app.

That's the epitome of a "ball's in their court" scenario.

Maybe Netflix is salty that the streaming tech wasn't in the firmware at launch, I don't know. What I do know is that Nintendo did their part to make the app run. Now it's up to Netflix.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cinemablend had an article from four months ago where Netflix management basically stated it was (mostly) on Nintendo:

"In the case of the Switch, they [Nintendo] were very focused at launch not on video-use cases, but on gaming cases, video was not a priority for them. Whether that changes over time, we have a great relationship with them and look at the possibility of the Switch. We each have opportunity cost around that, but at some point, it might happen."

Then last month at E3, Reggie delivered this confusing explanation:

"For those types of questions, we have to refer you to the folks at Netflix." But then he added, "What we said when we launched Nintendo Switch was that we wanted to have a gaming-first platform and that's what we've created. And that's what enabled us in the first 12 months in the United States to be the best-selling home console in the history of video games.

"Right now, we enable Hulu on the platform, we've said that other services will come in due time. For us, we want to make sure that continue driving the install base for Nintendo Switch, continue to have great games for the platform."
He concluded, "In terms of what's next on the streaming side, you're gonna have to talk to those individual providers in terms of where they stand and what they're working on."

So he tries to blame Netflix but then waffles a bit and goes back to his insistence that the Switch was all about gaming and not video streaming. What's interesting is that both Nintendo and Netflix are basically saying the same thing in regards to the priority of the Switch being centered on games as an explanation for the absence of the app on the console.

I think it's also very telling that YouTube is still missing from the Switch, further enforcing the notion that most of the holdup in on Nintendo's end.

Some have speculated that Nintendo is simply waiting until the their premium online service is up and running, which makes sense.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They pissed off Netflix, because Netflix didn't want to do the work to get their own code running on the damn thing. Again. That is on Netflix. As has been pointed out in the thread, Nintendo fixed the issue on their end with video streaming, hence how Hulu and NicoNico are able to run. They did what they needed to do. Like, Nintendo isn't leaving money on the table here. Netflix just doesn't want to do the work. They made it work on Wii, they sure as hell could get it on the Switch if they really wanted to

So where are you reading that it's all on Netflix? I went looking for an explanation and posted what I found and the issue is nowhere near as clear as you are suggesting.

Sources?

Also, I'm still confused why Netflix is suddenly unwilling to do the work of creating an app for a console.

Why now, and why with this (and only this) device?

Last edited:

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Did you read my comment?

When the Switch launched, it launched without the needed streaming component in the firmware.

Nintendo did their part, they spent the time and money needed to add the functionality to the Switch's firmware.

Other streaming services have used it and made apps.

There is no longer anything blocking the release of a Netflix app other than Netflix not releasing one.

All that's needed for there to be an app is for Netflix to use it and make an app.

That's the epitome of a "ball's in their court" scenario.

Maybe Netflix is salty that the streaming tech wasn't in the firmware at launch, I don't know. What I do know is that Nintendo did their part to make the app run. Now it's up to Netflix.

You have any credible sources for these claims?

Because I'm more than happy to be wrong if you have something more substantial than speculation as to why Netflix isn't on the Switch.

Because it is admittedly strange.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Any kindmof update for the basic OS would be nice - a way or organising owned games, an eshop that isn;t like a the seventh circle of hell to navigate, more than 2 themes. This is all super basic stuff

imagine what a mess itll be when the online stiff s added in less than 2 months

Muditā

Apr 21, 2018
I wonder if it has anything to do with the rumors several years back about a Netflix/Nintendo partnership to make a Zelda show. It obviously didn't come to fruition but maybe the negotiation left a source taste between the two?

It's unlikely due to the absence of other streaming services.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They help others who are more than capable. Such a weird line to draw for something that is more valuable than most software on the platform.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
You have any credible sources for these claims?

Because I'm more than happy to be wrong if you have something more substantial than speculation as to why Netflix isn't on the Switch.

Because it is admittedly strange.

Hulu's (and Factor 5's) Eggebrecht: from a November 2017 interview with IGN.

"Why not at launch? That was a political decision by Nintendo to a certain degree, but also a technical one because they really wanted to focus on the game-side of things on the one hand, and secondly really were only able to provide the basic technical functionality that you needed to make the greatest games on the new console. So one of the things which was missing until recently was one tiny little bit of encryption that most of the professional video services unfortunately need, and once that was unblocked for us, it was not a problem to get the whole thing going. We had the streaming actually and most of the tech we had done quite awhile ago."

Source: https://youtu.be/JDRkIAFxmrQ

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hulu's (and Factor 5's) Eggebrecht:

Source: https://youtu.be/JDRkIAFxmrQ

That's interesting but hardly proves your speculation about why Netflix hasn't delivered an app thus far.

They've never had any issues with getting their app to run on other devices and given that other streaming services like YouTube are also currently unavailable on the Switch, something else seems amiss.

There's certainly no evidence that Nintendo is simply waiting on Netflix or that Netflix is opting to shun them. (Again, why would they?)

Sestenes

Mar 2, 2018
Iowa
I thought for sure there was going to be an E3 announcement this year, but no.

I think the best theory was pointing to Nintendo's online service being such an unknown at this point. Otherwise just why not?

It's not a need to have, but it sure would be nice.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if it has anything to do with the rumors several years back about a Netflix/Nintendo partnership to make a Zelda show. It obviously didn't come to fruition but maybe the negotiation left a source taste between the two?

It's unlikely due to the absence of other streaming services.

This is a glaring omission that many people tend to overlook when trying to blame Netflix.

YouTube is also on just about anything that sucks up amperage and for some reason it is entirely absent on the Switch.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
That's interesting but hardly proves your speculation about why Netflix hasn't delivered an app thus far.

They've never had any issues with getting their app to run on other devices and given that other streaming services like YouTube are also currently unavailable on the Switch, something else seems amiss.

There's certainly no evidence that Nintendo is simply waiting on Netflix or that Netflix is opting to shun them. (Again, why would they?)
To the bolded, unless you don't count Nintendo saying that its up to Netflix...

Nintendo have said that the only thing stopping a Netflix app is Netflix not releasing one.

I'm not sure exactly what you are saying I'm speculating other than my comment that maybe Netflix is salty, but that was by no means a statement expressed as fact.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought for sure there was going to be an E3 announcement this year, but no.

I think the best theory was pointing to Nintendo's online service being such an unknown at this point. Otherwise just why not?

It's not a need to have, but it sure would be nice.

I really love the Switch for so many reasons but the decision not to have those popular video apps ready to go Day One was fucking stupid.

You release a hybrid console with touted portability and convenience yet leave out streaming apps, which every single device on the planet enjoys?

Lame.