• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"For those types of questions, we have to refer you to the folks at Netflix." But then he added, "What we said when we launched Nintendo Switch was that we wanted to have a gaming-first platform and that's what we've created. And that's what enabled us in the first 12 months in the United States to be the best-selling home console in the history of video games.

"Right now, we enable Hulu on the platform, we've said that other services will come in due time. For us, we want to make sure that continue driving the install base for Nintendo Switch, continue to have great games for the platform."
He concluded, "In terms of what's next on the streaming side, you're gonna have to talk to those individual providers in terms of where they stand and what they're working on."

I have to say, if the ball actually is in Netflix's court, I'm a bit surprised that they've held off on a Switch app at this point. It may even have made sense at launch, given the failure of the Wii U (and, I imagine, given that the Netflix 3DS app can't have been too successful), but at this point, holding off on Switch doesn't make sense. The Switch is an established success, and Netflix puts its app on everything. I wonder what the hold up is?

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Netflix probably assumed, like many others, that Switch would flop, and were caught with their pants down. Sooner or later, they'll have to admit their mistake by releasing an app for it. I'd be shocked if this year ends without it launching.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix probably assumed, like many others, that Switch would flop, and were caught with their pants down. Sooner or later, they'll have to admit their mistake by releasing an app for it. I'd be shocked if this year ends without it launching.

I mean, they've had over a year to implement one, though? Is that really not enough time to develop one or am I just totally off on how long these things take?

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Netflix would be nice. YouTube would be nice too. But do you know what I want more than both of those combined? PLEX. Let me stream my existing media library to the device! That would bring the Switch to "neat media device" to "my favourite media device."

nopattern

Nov 25, 2017
I have a hard time believing this is all Netflix. They have zero reason not to have their app on such a popular device. I literally can't think of any downside for them.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I mean, they've had over a year to implement one, though? Is that really not enough time to develop one or am I just totally off on how long these things take?
I think they were largely taking a wait and see approach, and development on such an app probably didn't start until Nintendo's fiscal report in April, if it even started.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"For those types of questions, we have to refer you to the folks at Netflix." But then he added, "What we said when we launched Nintendo Switch was that we wanted to have a gaming-first platform and that's what we've created. And that's what enabled us in the first 12 months in the United States to be the best-selling home console in the history of video games.

This dude doesn't miss a beat lmao

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
The best thing with Reggie is that everytime he says something it's like he could very well not have a clue about the subject but still manages to pretend.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, Reggie, I'm going to ask the platform holder. Perhaps if the Switch was full of other media apps I could accept your dismissal, but as it stands now Nintendo owns this particular fuck up.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
No, Reggie, I'm going to ask the platform holder. Perhaps if the Switch was full of other media apps I could accept your dismissal, but as it stands now Nintendo owns this particular fuck up.
Hulu is on the platform, so we know they have no issue allowing media streaming apps on the platform.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix puts their shit on everything so I'm more inclined to believe there Is something wrong on the Nintendo end.

Deleted member 6436

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd almost wonder if it had something with the parity Nintendo wants to run things docked as well as handheld, but the 3DS has Netflix, so it can't be that.

I have a feeling it's both sides not agreeing to terms. We have Hulu and Niconico, so it's not like Nintendo is being a complete holdout.

Dec 1, 2017
I feel like NoA is just shifting the blame onto Netflix whereas the main branch of Nintendo is not doing anything to reposition the Switch as a secondary media tablet. I mean what reason is there to spend 3-6 months on developping a new Netflix app when you've got an app that would do the same thing on the same type of device?

I hope it does actually happen though, and I wonder what the demand is for this.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Cool, after nearly a year and a half we have a total of 1 app. I'm going to side with Netflix on this one - it's Nintendo's fault.
Two apps with Nico Nico.

Again, what logical reason is there for Nintendo to refuse to allow Netflix on their mega hit platform? There is zero logic for this to be a Nintendo-side issue.