• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 1, 2017
I don't see Nintendo footing the bill. How many people are holding off buying a Switch because it doesn't have Netflix? My guess is the numbers aren't that high.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
I thought this bump was announcing Netflix on Switch...

But ironically... so much time has passed and HBOMax, Disney+, and Prime Video have eaten so much of the streaming pie, I wouldn't be all that excited if it did.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Maybe they just figured it wouldn't get used. I mean realistically I would not use it, everyone has it at home or on their phones/tablets. Do you really need it on your switch too?

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netflix seems to be stuck on Nintendo's past failures and are salty to admit they were wrong about how they projected Switch as a failure. This is no different from many third-parties still unwillingly to support it for the same reason.

Jun 7, 2018
Prior systems had netflix so you're saying this is a shift in mindset for current Nintendo from the Wii/ Wii U and 3DS days?

Prior systems had Netflix because Netflix chose to make an app for them.
If there was one made for the Switch, I can't see Nintendo having any problem allowing it on the store.
I think Netflix have possibly changed tack and have tried getting Nintendo to commission them to make an app this time, after getting burned on making a Wii U app of their own accord.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Prior systems had Netflix because Netflix chose to make an app for them.
If there was one made for the Switch, I can't see Nintendo having any problem allowing it on the store.
I think Netflix have possibly changed tack and have tried getting Nintendo to commission them to make an app this time, after getting burned on making a Wii U app of their own accord.

Burned making the wii U app in what sense? I'm not sure what you're referring to.

:Motorbass

Oct 28, 2017
With no Smart TV, I used Amazon Video quite a lot on Wii U. On Switch, YouTube is one of my most used Apps. So yeah I think it would be nice...

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they just figured it wouldn't get used. I mean realistically I would not use it, everyone has it at home or on their phones/tablets. Do you really need it on your switch too?
Then why are PS5 and Xbox Series X launching with it? We already have the app at home and on our phones, seems a complete waste of Netflix's time and money to create an app for these systems. I've emailed them to think about abandoning launching the app on next gen consoles, it'll be better for their profits.

Jun 7, 2018
Burned making the wii U app in what sense? I'm not sure what you're referring to.

I just meant Netflix spent money on making and licensing an app for Wii U, for them to only get a fraction of the users they expected using it and for the console to have a fairly short lifespan. It might have made them hesitant to make an app for the Switch and to say to Nintendo, "If you want Netflix on there, you're going to have to pay us to make the app this time".
I think it would explain why Netflix claim that the reason for no Netflix app on Switch is down to Nintendo rather than themselves.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Then why are PS5 and Xbox Series X launching with it? We already have the app at home and on our phones, seems a complete waste of Netflix's time and money to create an app for these systems. I've emailed them to think about abandoning launching the app on next gen consoles, it'll be better for their profits.
Why so salty lol

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I just meant Netflix spent money on making and licensing an app for Wii U, for them to only get a fraction of the users they expected using it and for the console to have a fairly short lifespan. It might have made them hesitant to make an app for the Switch and to say to Nintendo, "If you want Netflix on there, you're going to have to pay us to make the app this time".
I think it would explain why Netflix claim that the reason for no Netflix app on Switch is down to Nintendo rather than themselves.

Oh ok, got you. Well if that's the case, you would think with a 60m and rising install base Netflix would see that Switch clearly isn't wii U 2.0 but maybe it's a once bitten situation. And from Nintendo's end, they seem to be going for a more minimalist approach with Switch. Even beyond the lack of media apps, alot of 'no-brainer' functions like folders and themes are also missing. As much as I love the Switch it lacks the certain...I don't know.... quirky personality that Wii U or even 3DS had.

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Netflix seems to be stuck on Nintendo's past failures and are salty to admit they were wrong about how they projected Switch as a failure. This is no different from many third-parties still unwillingly to support it for the same reason.

it's such a small amount of work to add Netflix to work on a platform, I really doubt it has anything to do with Nintendo's past platforms. It's clearly not a priority for Nintendo to have any non-game apps on Switch, and clearly it doesn't need those apps to be successful.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm starting to think it might be DRM security requirements not being met on Nintendo Switch.

Last month, Macbook security requirement was updated and announced to require a chipset that's produced in 2018:

www.imore.com

Streaming Netflix in 4K will require a Mac with a T2 security chip

According to Netflix's support site, those who wish to stream Netflix in 4K on the Mac will need a 2018 or later Mac with the T2 chip.

So, it sort of hinted Switch needs an updated security requirment, like a new chipset, to be able to handle Netflix.
The hell?

My 2019 i9 iMac won't be able to run Netflix in 4K?

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was about to say would y'all leave Reggie the hell alone about Nintendo shit but this thread is 2 years old lol.

Oct 27, 2017

I don't think I really buy that or that it makes sense. You seem to be conflating all of Nintendo's systems into 1. The Switch is nothing like the Wii U, in terms of form, functionality, or size of userbase. Not to mention most Netflix apps are basically web wrappers so unlike the Wii U version (early on, at least) a custom built app, now it's just an "app" wrapper around essentially a web version that is used across all the different platforms and can be developed much quicker/easier

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Exactly, everything. I don't dock my phone to my TV, and I don't wanna use my phone to watch Netflix.

Getting Netflix to stream on a TV doesn't require a Switch. Some TVs come with casting and there are plenty of affordable devices on the market that can make a TV cast ready.

Sounds like a problem that is very easily addressed.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I refuse to believe that any company out there, any at all, is basing their decision on whether or not to release a streaming app on Switch on the market performance of Wii U.

In the year of our lord 2020.

OutToLunch

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netflix probably assumed, like many others, that Switch would flop, and were caught with their pants down. Sooner or later, they'll have to admit their mistake by releasing an app for it. I'd be shocked if this year ends without it launching.

it's been 4 years. They don't need the switch. They're doing fine.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
I don't think so. I have a friend on my Friendlist on Switch that has almost 1000 hours of Youtube registered on his console.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I don't think I really buy that or that it makes sense. You seem to be conflating all of Nintendo's systems into 1. The Switch is nothing like the Wii U, in terms of form, functionality, or size of userbase. Not to mention most Netflix apps are basically web wrappers so unlike the Wii U version (early on, at least) a custom built app, now it's just an "app" wrapper around essentially a web version that is used across all the different platforms and can be developed much quicker/easier
I think what he meant is that Netflix doesn´t see beneficial making an app for Switch and it makes sense to a point. How many third parties don´t want to make games for Nintendo and they have the second highest install base in consoles right now?

Oct 27, 2017
I think what he meant is that Netflix doesn´t see beneficial making an app for Switch and it makes sense to a point. How many third parties don´t want to make games for Nintendo and they have the second highest install base in consoles right now?
Yeah, but the porting of the Netflix app to the Switch would, in theory, be fairly cheap and easy. Like I said, they've basically moved to console specific app wrappers over a web app as opposed to completely natively built apps like before

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Yeah, but the porting of the Netflix app to the Switch would, in theory, be fairly cheap and easy. Like I said, they've basically moved to console specific app wrappers over a web app as opposed to completely natively built apps like before
I think we know that, but what he meant is that netflix probably still feel burn for supporting a flop.