• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
If you like the Matrix movies for their visuals and action, you are not *wrong*. If you were disappointed that Resurrections fell down on those things, you did not *fail to understand the movie*. Personally I liked the visuals (a few poor CG effects aside), and also feel like the action was poor at best.

But if you can't understand why those of us who value the fuck out of this franchise for speaking to *our* truth are worried about this, or think our concerns aren't worth listening to over you getting a shiny new action movie you might like, then look at yourself and ask yourself why.

Great action movies continue to get made. I'd put basically all of the John Wick movies above the Matrix sequels as action movies for example. I'm a fan of them. But which other big budget movies speak to the trans experience? I can't think of any since Resurrections.

Personally I think Reloaded is shallow and boring. I think Revelations is the much better film, which I know puts me in a minority.

Resurrections is a film that speaks to me on a deeply personal level. I recognize so many of my own experiences in it. I wish they'd asked Stahleski to lay out the action scenes and had McTiegue direct them as he did on most of the original trilogy. It's so frustrating to see Stahleski show up in the movie knowing what he could have done leading the stunt team.

For me, the original movie when it first came out, was a western movie bringing the kind of action I was already enjoying in Catonese cinema to a wider audience. The action wasn't mind blowing or special for me. I liked the movie but didn't really connect with it like I do now that I'm no longer burying my transness in denial.

The trans director made a movie that lots and lots of trans people love. Maybe there's genuine value in that. Maybe that speaks to its craft. It feels dismissive to read people talking about it like it's unquestionably crap.

I'm not going to hammer on cis folks for not being able to see *how deeply* some of us trans people connected to Resurrections. I know that you can only really imagine what the trans experience is like, and you can't even begin to understand whether the film speaks *accurately* to that or not. That limitation isn't your fault.

But please hear us. If you don't have a deep personal connection with Resurrections that's fine. But maybe that so many of us do speaks to it having qualities that you can't truly appreciate, rather than those of us that love the movie being blind to it being 'bad'.

Not everything is for me. Barbie was an incredibly gender binary movie, that I thought was brilliantly made, but which I bounced right off. I'm not going to tell people who it spoke to that the film is bad just because I couldn't connect to it in the same way.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Because no one EVER criticizes Reloaded.

And this is where we keep going into the same circle. You have this thread acting like everyone is just a meathead that just cares about action with no appreciation of themes or storytelling, whereas we've had countless conversations of how the movies goes on about sequels and then makes the movies it's criticizing. And we "don't get it" because don't think that's interesting.

Really has nothing to do with my comment. I didn't say anything about criticizing or not criticizing any of the movies (nor did I even give my opinion on the quality of any of the Matrix films). I'm talking more about imagining what the fans want and making art based on that (for capitalist reasons).

I'd much rather have a world where artists like The Wachowskis feel inspired to make films based on a compelling emotional reason, a desire to express themselves in a way that only this work will serve, even if it's bad, than cashing in on pop culture recognition. It's way better for all of us if bad movies are made for good reasons then bad movies being made to make money.

And the only way to find movies you love is if there is a unique perspective being filtered through genuine artistic expression. Sometimes people can do that through the seed of cynical money grab, but it's a sour position to start from.

Maybe Drew Goddard can do just that, but coming from a series that so specifically comes from 2 trans women makes me question what Goddard thinks he has to add to it. Lana being an EP is the only thing that makes me want to give it a chance.

Also, I think you can be a "meathead" and appreciate The Matrix for exactly what it is. The movie speaks quite well from a strictly emotional level. The problems come in when people are asked about why they liked the film and they largely are poor at explaining it (and that includes smart people). Studios are even poorer at understanding that feedback and have no clue how to use it when making follow-ups. And this is the reason many sequels stink; the original thread is lost and it becomes a case of tracing the lines in an attempt to replicate the original's success. And the original artists aren't necessarily any better at building on the thread either. There's a reason many don't stick around for sequels.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Really has nothing to do with my comment. I didn't say anything about criticizing or not criticizing any of the movies (nor did I even give my opinion on the quality of any of the Matrix films). I'm talking more about imagining what the fans want and making art based on that (for capitalist reasons).

I'd much rather have a world where artists like The Wachowskis feel inspired to make films based on a compelling emotional reason, a desire to express themselves in a way that only this work will serve, even if it's bad, than cashing in on pop culture recognition. It's way better for all of us if bad movies are made for good reasons then bad movies being made to make money.

And the only way to find movies you love is if there is a unique perspective being filtered through genuine artistic expression. Sometimes people can do that through the seed of cynical money grab, but it's a sour position to start from.

Maybe Drew Goddard can do just that, but coming from a series that so specifically comes from 2 trans women makes me question what Goddard thinks he has to add to it. Lana being an EP is the only thing that makes me want to give it a chance.

Also, I think you can be a "meathead" and appreciate The Matrix for exactly what it is. The movie speaks quite well from a strictly emotional level. The problems come in when people are asked about why they liked the film and they largely are poor at explaining it (and that includes smart people). Studios are even poorer at understanding that feedback and have no clue how to use it when making follow-ups. And this is the reason many sequels stink; the original thread is lost and it becomes a case of tracing the lines in an attempt to replicate the original's success. And the original artists aren't necessarily any better at building on the thread either. There's a reason many don't stick around for sequels.

Exactly. Sequels are hard. And sequels to intensely personal and philosophical movies are even harder. You somehow have to replicate the magic of a confluence of a bunch of factors all coming together in the right ways at the right time, and now you have reactions from entrenched fans to deal with on top of that.

I just do not see any value in a Matrix movie without a marginalized perspective that is central to the core experience. You take that perspective out and you just have "John Wick but with vague sci-fi tinges". It'd be like Netflix making a sequel to They Cloned Tyrone called They Cloned Brad and giving it to Robert Zemeckis or Todd Phillips.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
If you like the Matrix movies for their visuals and action, you are not *wrong*. If you were disappointed that Resurrections fell down on those things, you did not *fail to understand the movie*. Personally I liked the visuals (a few poor CG effects aside), and also feel like the action was poor at best.

But if you can't understand why those of us who value the fuck out of this franchise for speaking to *our* truth are worried about this, or think our concerns aren't worth listening to over you getting a shiny new action movie you might like, then look at yourself and ask yourself why.

Great action movies continue to get made. I'd put basically all of the John Wick movies above the Matrix sequels as action movies for example. I'm a fan of them. But which other big budget movies speak to the trans experience? I can't think of any since Resurrections.

Personally I think Reloaded is shallow and boring. I think Revelations is the much better film, which I know puts me in a minority.

Resurrections is a film that speaks to me on a deeply personal level. I recognize so many of my own experiences in it. I wish they'd asked Stahleski to lay out the action scenes and had McTiegue direct them as he did on most of the original trilogy. It's so frustrating to see Stahleski show up in the movie knowing what he could have done leading the stunt team.

For me, the original movie when it first came out, was a western movie bringing the kind of action I was already enjoying in Catonese cinema to a wider audience. The action wasn't mind blowing or special for me. I liked the movie but didn't really connect with it like I do now that I'm no longer burying my transness in denial.

The trans director made a movie that lots and lots of trans people love. Maybe there's genuine value in that. Maybe that speaks to its craft. It feels dismissive to read people talking about it like it's unquestionably crap.

I'm not going to hammer on cis folks for not being able to see *how deeply* some of us trans people connected to Resurrections. I know that you can only really imagine what the trans experience is like, and you can't even begin to understand whether the film speaks *accurately* to that or not. That limitation isn't your fault.

But please hear us. If you don't have a deep personal connection with Resurrections that's fine. But maybe that so many of us do speaks to it having qualities that you can't truly appreciate, rather than those of us that love the movie being blind to it being 'bad'.

Not everything is for me. Barbie was an incredibly gender binary movie, that I thought was brilliantly made, but which I bounced right off. I'm not going to tell people who it spoke to that the film is bad just because I couldn't connect to it in the same way.

It must be incredibly disheartening to see something you love so dearly torn down to such a degree. I see this happen in threads about this series a lot and I feel like the trans voices in these threads grows smaller and smaller because the discourse tends to devolve into "worst thing ever put to celluloid". As a cis person who adores these films and has found my own ways to connect and relate to them all, it's exhausting even for me to engage with conversations about it.

The Matrix films are trans films. If they lose that they lose a huge part of their identity imo. If anything about the series should be preserved in any future projects, it should be this.

CitrusScorpio

Feb 18, 2021

I agree completely with you. As a trans feminine person I feel trepidatious, to say the least, about the prospect of a cis person directing a Matrix film. The series speaks to deeply to me and my experiences and the idea of those aspects being lost for more mass market appeal bums me out :(

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely hated Resurrections, despite being one of the only people you'll meet who will stan for Revolutions.

I guess I'll give The Matrix: Rebooted a try.
I guess this is where I'm at.

I actually liked Revolutions as a thematic conclusion. Resurrections was just so.... poorly executed in various avenues imo (pacing, action, casting, attempts at humor, cinematography, etc). It was so disappointing since I was so hype for it.

I still loved what it added to the overall Matrix lore tho. And I'm curious to see how they'll handle a 4th.

Feels weird without a trans director (or any kind of marginalized demographic).

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
To put it bluntly and perhaps harshly, I think anyone wanting a new Matrix movie taken out of the hands of the Wachowskis has a blatant disrespect for films as an artform. These are their stories. These films are about the trans experience, and wanting some dude to take over and make a kungfu action flick with its world is utterly crass.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
To put it bluntly and perhaps harshly, I think anyone wanting a new Matrix movie taken out of the hands of the Wachowskis has a blatant disrespect for films as an artform. These are their stories. These films are about the trans experience, and wanting some dude to take over and make a kungfu action flick with its world is utterly crass.
The Wachowskis are two of multiple other people responsible in the creation of The Matrix. They were directors and writers.

But if you want to talk about disrespect for films as an artform you completely ignore the critical involvement of the production designer, principal photography/cinematography, visual effects, in the success of The Matrix

The entire look and design was by Owen Paterson. The colour/aesthetic, props, etc
The cinematography was by Bill Pope
The advanced and innovative visual effects that made it so popular was by John Gaeta

All those three people for example never worked on Resurrections. Which is why Resurrections feels so different like the look/feel, the lack of its unique action scenes of the franchise, and those special effects that come with it, from the first three movies. A major element of its success was also that visual experience. And what is bad (for me) but may as well just be different about Resurrections (IMO) is the lack of the visual experience

The Wachowskis directed and wrote the story for all of them yes. That iss important. But that is one part of the overall creation just like the rest. And when it comes to who owns it, well of course like all films its the production company although that not an important point from perspective of the artform

It is the Wachowskis story, but the movies are also a lot more than just story, because they are not a novel - the visual experience etc is by three other core people, all of which also didn't work on Resurrections

I can't really see how it can be a blatant disrespect for films as an artform if you have a different director(s) too. At least not how movie franchises are made. Of course the Wachowskis contribution is important, but what I mean is, the entire creation doesn't only rest with them. It is not a book. Having different people working in different roles isn't a disrespect. Besides Lana Wachowski is still part of it as executive producer, which I am sure will consult on the writing

Besides, we do not even know why Lana Wachowski or Lily is not directing/writing it, maybe they simply do not want to, people make way too much speculation, especially when you consider they are still the executive producer

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The Wachowskis are two of multiple other people responsible in the creation of The Matrix. They were directors and writers.

But if you want to talk about disrespect for films as an artform you completely ignore the critical involvement of the production designer, principal photography/cinematography, visual effects, in the success of The Matrix

The entire look and design was by Owen Paterson. The colour/aesthetic, props, etc
The advanced and innovative visual effects that made it so popular was by John Gaeta

All those three people for example never worked on Resurrections. Which is why Resurrections feels so different like the look/feel, the lack of its unique action scenes of the franchise, and those special effects that come with it, from the first three movies. A major element of its success was also that visual experience. And what is bad (for me) but may as well just be different about Resurrections (IMO) is the lack of the visual experience

The Wachowskis directed and wrote the story for all of them yes. That iss important. But that is one part of the overall creation just like the rest. And when it comes to who owns it, well of course like all films its the production company although that not an important point from perspective of the artform

It is the Wachowskis story, but the movies are also a lot more than just story, because they are not a novel - the visual experience etc is by three other core people, all of which also didn't work on Resurrections

I can't really see how it can be a blatant disrespect for films as an artform if you have a different director(s) too. At least not how movie franchises are made. Of course the Wachowskis contribution is important, but what I mean is, the entire creation doesn't only rest with them. It is not a book. Having different people working in different roles isn't a disrespect. Besides Lana Wachowski is still part of it as executive producer, which I am sure will consult on the writing

Besides, we do not even know why Lana Wachowski or Lily is not directing/writing it, maybe they simply do not want to, people make way too much speculation, especially when you consider they are still the executive producer

At the end of the day, the story is the important part. All of the visual stuff is secondary to, and serves, the story. Those people were hired to execute on the vision of the Wachowskis. The movies, and the setting people are so fond of, would not exist without Lana and Lilly. And all of that is a trans work.

The last thing the world needs is yet another bro action movie filtered through the experiential lens of a straight cis white man, especially if that movie comes at the expense of a franchise deeply rooted in the trans experience. This is what people in this thread are afraid of - the loss of a deeply trans-coded franchise for the sake of a mass-market-accessible action film of which there are already legion.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
I'm honestly just ready for something completely new, free from the narrative baggage of the prior films. New cast of characters, especially.

GoodGrief

Jan 24, 2024
The last thing the world needs is yet another bro action movie filtered through the experiential lens of a straight cis white man, especially if that movie comes at the expense of a franchise deeply rooted in the trans experience. This is what people in this thread are afraid of - the loss of a deeply trans-coded franchise for the sake of a mass-market-accessible action film of which there are already legion.
I get that but isn't it too early to be so concerned about this? Shouldn't we all at least reserve judgment until we know more about the movie? At the very least I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe they're making "yet another bro action movie", nor do I think it's what anyone wants it to be.

Riptwo

Oct 25, 2017
I love the original movies and most of the Wachowskis' output (okay, maybe I only watched Jupiter Ascending once, but I made up for it by watching Sense8 a bunch), and I really hope that Lana's executive producer role is more hands on than what the title generally implies. That being said, I'm curious to see what a Drew Goddard Matrix movie would look like, since Cabin in the Woods showed that he's skilled at dissecting a genre while also building a great example of it. Bad Times at the El Royale also had a playful structure that suggests he could build something that mirrors the mindfuck aspects of the first movie even after four installments.

I definitely agree that losing the outsider perspective is disappointing, but I'm hoping that this ends up being a pleasant surprise in spite of the cynical inevitability of a post-Resurrections sequel.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I get that but isn't it too early to be so concerned about this? Shouldn't we all at least reserve judgment until we know more about the movie? At the very least I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe they're making "yet another bro action movie", nor do I think it's what anyone wants it to be.

I have no faith in Drew Goddard being able to write and direct a piece of meaningful outsider fiction. It's on him to actually show me a reason to trust him. And I'm gonna be honest, the JJ Abrams "I'm SUCH a big FAN" approach is not inspiring confidence.

Otherwise I am forced to assume it's WB wanting a "mainstream acceptable" Matrix reboot with all the trans allegory stripped away and specifically going out of their way to hire a cis white dude to make that happen. Until I actually see any reason to believe otherwise, that's what I expect out of Goddard and the modern WB.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
I thought after Resurrections tanked The Matrix might be done but I guess the original film is just one of those properties that's too successful to ever die for good.

The Matrix is basically like the Alien movies. First one was perfect (second very good actually with Aliens) and then everyone holding on to hope that it'll regain its glory with newer movies and never happens.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

We have no word from Lana as to her level of involvement. Executive Producer can mean closely involved. It can also mean 'we are contractually obligated to give them a credit on this film'

Until we hear from Lana as to how involved she is the EP credit tells us little to nothing.

But uh, without minimizing the contribution of the above people, they are not as central as the Wachowskis who would have given them direction on how they wanted the movie to look and would have had final approval on the designs that ended up on screen.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
This seems extremely myopic considering how the Wachowskis themselves encouraged the expansion of the Matrix universe and works beyond just their own personal lens on it. That's why even Animatrix exist, something that has been brought up many times in this very thread. It's so dismissive to say that the Matrix films using Neo as a means to express the Wachowskis' trans experience and struggle automatically means that anyone even considering the Matrix franchise as anything other than that is disrespectful of art. Like, big yikes.

The Animatrix featured 9 stories by 7 different directors. They are all cis men, and while the majority of them are Japanese, as Japanese creatives working and living in Japan I would not consider them as representative of a minority experience either. Four of the stories were written by the Wachowskis, five were not.

Neil Gaiman also wrote a well received illustrated story for expanding the Matrix universe. All this came about post-Matrix 1 when the Wachowskis were building up the world for the two sequels they were making. In doing so were they disrespecting their own work? Were they disrespecting films as an artform?

I think one can recognise the significant of the Matrix franchise as an avenue for two filmmakers to explore their trans identity and struggle through a series of scifi action films, applaud them for that, while also acknowledging that as a whole the Matrix franchise is more than just a trans allegory, and is also a scifi universe with history, worldbuilding, mystery, cool action, and can be the vehicle to tell other types of stories and explore other experiences or perspectives of creatives who engage with the world.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
I dunno if there's that much money left in this franchise, the last two movies tanked (I know Resurrections dropped on HBO Max but so did the first Dune and that did way better)

Warner gotta mine something I guess

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I liked 4 but i think Matrix for the average person hasn't been relevant since 2003. I knew 4 was going to be a box office disappointment no matter it's quality.

Jan 1, 2024
Midgar
I just recently rewatched through all 4 films and Animatrix with my wife on the back of this thread and because we watched it in HDR (DV) for the first time on our new OLED TV.

Finished 4 yesterday. I remember liking it in the cinema too. 4 is fine. Better than 3 definitely and maybe even 2. I like what they did with it. It was even more meta than the original film.

onion

Oct 28, 2017
they need to sideline all the philosophical bullshit and just have the premise be a street level team of hackers in the Matrix fighting against / hiding from agents, the story possibilities are endless with what can actually happen in the matrix (ie. Reloaded levels of car chase, 'lobby shootout' levels of gun fights, etc.).

Oct 28, 2017
But the forth movie didn't even want to be made and hated me the viewer for watching . The fifth movie will just be insults yelled at the screen in bullet time for 2.5 hours.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
they need to sideline all the philosophical bullshit and just have the premise be a street level team of hackers in the Matrix fighting against / hiding from agents, the story possibilities are endless with what can actually happen in the matrix (ie. Reloaded levels of car chase, 'lobby shootout' levels of gun fights, etc.).

But that's not what the Matrix is. If people just want a shoot-em-up video game movie with absolutely zero thought beyond "COOL ACTION SEQUENCE", John Wick already exists for this.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
they need to sideline all the philosophical bullshit and just have the premise be a street level team of hackers in the Matrix fighting against / hiding from agents.

for me, what you call bullshit is the thing that separates the Matrix from the endless deluge of dumb action movies found on streaming services

Neutron

Jun 2, 2022
I wonder what's in this for Warner Bros.

They must have some plan in place to bring in an audience that never materialized for Resurrections...

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
That movie was called Swordfish and it had Hugh Jackman in it. 🤣

Oct 27, 2017
Do 5 with Keanu BUT replace his head/face to his 1999 head/face with Deep Fake and let the movie play between Matrix 1 and 2. That'd be awesome.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
Let's be honest here, they borrowed heavily from Grant Morrison's The Invisibles, it's not just the Wachowskis' story. So much so the book was on the set of the first film for reference.

Serpico99

Oct 29, 2017
NYC
Please use film and not digital because that's what made 4 feel off and cheap especially during that warehouse fight.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Lol it's 2024, no way we're still blaming digital cameras for bad looking cinematography. Dune: Part 2 just came out for chrissake!

And it's not like people didn't criticize film productions for looking cheap for the entirety of movie history prior to the advent of digital filmmaking (and I am not talking about analog video). Poor (cheap) cinematography was always a shot taken at films.

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
Write a script that isn't shitty this time and bring back the trilogy's aesthetics. The rest will handle itself.

Last edited:

onion

Oct 28, 2017
But that's not what the Matrix is. If people just want a shoot-em-up video game movie with absolutely zero thought beyond "COOL ACTION SEQUENCE", John Wick already exists for this.

for me, what you call bullshit is the thing that separates the Matrix from the endless deluge of dumb action movies found on streaming services

That movie was called Swordfish and it had Hugh Jackman in it. 🤣

For me the first Matrix movie is an absolute masterpiece, what I liked about it was the story of a normal person breaking out of 'the system' and almost becoming a superhero (pre The One, the guys can do superhero level kind of stuff like jumping skyscrapers, run up walls, etc.), although I feel the writers kind of backed themselves into a corner when Neo became The One as he was almost too powerful and there wasn't as much threat from agents.

I much preferred it when Neo didn't believe he was The One and the team we're bouncing around in the matrix trying to avoid the Agents or rescuing Morpheus and I feel there could be so many awesome stories set within the matrix where there are other teams are going through similar challenges.

Im not saying the story has to have zero thought and just set-pieces like PlanetSmasher mentions above, I feel there are strong enough storytellers out there that could create awesome stories that avoid the whole profound Prophecy-Of-The-One storyline and keep it almost grounded.

Having said that, if you were to apply Matrix-esque aesthetics to a John Wick movie, you would have a pretty awesome movie and people obviously like John Wick movies seeing as there's 4 of them.

GoodGrief

Jan 24, 2024
This sounds terrible, sorry

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
The best way to make a Matrix movie now would be a standalone story that speaks on how the red pill has been co-opted, and bring the message back toward freedom for oneself and others, not as tyranny upon the vulnerable within the system.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017

Why do you want a matrix movie that is the exact opposite of what matrix movies are? It's like asking for a 3rd Dune movie but this time without all of the boring politics and religious conflicts and characters to focus instead on the cool worms.

May 26, 2018
Why do you want a matrix movie that is the exact opposite of what matrix movies are? It's like asking for a 3rd Dune movie but this time without all of the boring politics and religious conflicts and characters and focus instead on the cool worms.

...I'd watch the "dude rides a cool worm for two hours" movie.

Road Trip with Lisan Al-Gaib