• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still crossing my fingers that this will be a Horizon situation where they are hiding a great story behind trailers that look generic.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Looks ok, April is MK11 month, if this ends up like Detroit, 20-30€ in summer and i might pick it.

Deleted member 34618

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Oh boy can't wait for yet another extremely generic "photorealistic" looking zombie game. Not like was already done to death more than half a decade ago.

HighJump

Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
That second picture gave me Nate x Elena vibes. Wonder what their account y'all back and forth is like. Deacon seems the more closed off type, but Sarah looks like she'll cut through that tough facade like butter.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
That shot is also very nice imo :)

days-gone-wedding-site-screen-03-ps4-us-05feb19
Whoah that looks absolutely amazing!

Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy can't wait for yet another extremely generic "photorealistic" looking zombie game. Not like was already done to death more than half a decade ago.

Roughly in the last 5 years I can think of, in no particular order, the following games that aimed for a more realistic visual style and featured enemies that broadly fall into the zombie/infected camp.

- Dying Light
- Last of Us
- Resident Evil 2 remake
- State of decay

What others have I missed? Probably some. And is your issue more that the graphics in Days Gone aspire towards realism or the fact that the enemies resemble zombies, even though it's been stated multiple times that they're not really?

Also, as ever, no one throwing 'GENERIC!' around in a Days Gone thread can ever satisfactorily articulate ways this apparent genericism could be improved.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the pre-apocalypse segment is just gonna be an intro video or actually playable.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Roughly in the last 5 years I can think of, in no particular order, the following games that aimed for a more realistic visual style and featured enemies that broadly fall into the zombie/infected camp.

- Dying Light
- Last of Us
- Resident Evil 2 remake
- State of decay

What others have I missed? Probably some. And is your issue more that the graphics in Days Gone aspire towards realism or the fact that the enemies resemble zombies, even though it's been stated multiple times that they're not really?

Also, as ever, no one throwing 'GENERIC!' around in a Days Gone thread can ever satisfactorily articulate ways this apparent genericism could be improved.

Exactly, I've never understood this. "There's so many zombie games!" There's been...five is you include metal gear survive (lol) all gen. Also someone explain generic to me. We have many protags in games that are bikers with tattoos? If you want to call him cliche, okay I can understand that. But generic? Also, I'm not huge on zombie lore, but if they're not dead does it not mean that freakers aren't actually zombies. I thought zombies were literally walking dead. I kind of feel like a person huge into zombie films would basically scream at the top of their lungs that you can't consider a freaker a zombie

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Chill dude, why so defensive? Move on.
Why don't you move on from this thread? You don't seem to have anything productive to say and even your explanation of your original shit post is another shit post, which makes absolute no sense.

I have yet to see anyone back up why they are hype beyond just saying they are hyped, and they like what they see in the videos. But the one or two people who say they don't like what they see are interrogated and ignored.
It's your prerogative to work out why it's worth getting excited for. I would suggest reading the OP of the "Everything you need to know about Days Gone" thread. There's almost certainly everything you need to know about why someone might be hyped for this game. The ones who say they don't like what they see when it comes to this game are either proving that they are ignorant or they have an ulterior motive.

I think using the word generic to describe the game in these threads deserves a ban because at this point it's trolling.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I feel this game got way too much Sony 1st party treatment. When it was first shown it looked like a hordesim almost, arcade-y and fun. Now it looks like a Naughty Dog wanna be. Looks like a fucking slog.
That's only because that demo had near unlimited ammo and god mode. It was never going to be a game where you can mow down hordes like L4D

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Are we thinking a romantic-themed Valentine's Day story trailer on the 13th February, then? Seems like that's what they're building towards!

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
RE2 is a remake of a classic and TLOU is a fantastic game. This just looks generic.

You don't remember the reactions to Naughty dog making last of Us, do you? It was a shit show. Also, the last "generic boring" game was ghost recon Wildlands and it got good reviews, was fun to play and sold well. What's generic to one person is "oh shit! Another *insert media genre*! I'm in!" To quite frankly most people

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
This game is probably a decade late to the zombie party.

Yeah, I'm 50 and have seen pretty much played/seen/read/ listened to everything zombie there is and I can tell you that the 'zombie party' never ends. It's like saying there's no new stories but the 7 tropes when we get incredible writing every single year around those.

And nobody who likes zombies gets bored of zombies.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Are we thinking a romantic-themed Valentine's Day story trailer on the 13th February, then? Seems like that's what they're building towards!
Sony seems to like using public holidays to tie into game marketing. They did it with God of War for Father's Day.

RE2 is a remake of a classic and TLOU is a fantastic game. This just looks generic.
What is "generic" about it?

I swear this lazy "generic" rhetoric is on the cusp of becoming a meme.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I kind of feel like a person huge into zombie films would basically scream at the top of their lungs that you can't consider a freaker a zombie

There's probably a film thread somewhere where the same people that keep saying generic in these threads arguing Weekend at Bernies is just a generic zombie film because he's a white male with brown hair!

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
There's probably a film thread somewhere where the same people that keep saying generic in these threads arguing Weekend at Bernies is just a generic zombie film because he's a white male with brown hair!

Shaun of the dead is also just generic because it's basic zombies and people trying to survive probably. The people that scream generic are usually the people themselves who ironically have no imagination. It's the lack of imagination that makes someone look at something based on screen shots and short vids and immediately think "well that's generic" rather than seeing potential in something

Oct 27, 2017
Generic is one of the most annoying words these days. I would accept it if somebody would tell us why a thing is generic but nobody does. The worst part is asking them to explain and they never return to the thread.

Seriously guys if you do not have any interest in the game then don't post. The mods themselves said in the past thread to not post if you have nothing to say.

Deleted member 10847

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why don't you move on from this thread? You don't seem to have anything productive to say and even your explanation of your original shit post is another shit post, which makes absolute no sense.

It's your prerogative to work out why it's worth getting excited for. I would suggest reading the OP of the "Everything you need to know about Days Gone" thread. There's almost certainly everything you need to know about why someone might be hyped for this game. The ones who say they don't like what they see when it comes to this game are either proving that they are ignorant or they have an ulterior motive.

I think using the word generic to describe the game in these threads deserves a ban because at this point it's trolling.

So we are only alowed to post positive things i see. Thank you for your valuable input.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017

So basically "If you don't like this game you're stupid".

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Yeah, I'm 50 and have seen pretty much played/seen/read/ listened to everything zombie there is and I can tell you that the 'zombie party' never ends. It's like saying there's no new stories but the 7 tropes when we get incredible writing every single year around those.

And nobody who likes zombies gets bored of zombies.

I wish SciFi had the long term appeal of zombies lol. Quick! Someone put zombies in SciFi!

I am aware their is a quite popular SciFi with "zombie" type creatures in it

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
So we are only alowed to post positive things i see. Thank you for your valuable input.
So basically "If you don't like this game you're stupid".
What kind of shitposts are these? I'm talking from personal experience, you're talking as if I said what you just acted like I said.

Find Days Gone threads where people who are hyped for it have never acknowledged and accepted anything negative. You'll never find what you're looking for.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Generic is one of the most annoying words these days. I would accept it if somebody would tell us why a thing is generic but nobody does. The worst part is asking them to explain and they never return to the thread.

Seriously guys if you do not have any interest in the game then don't post. The mods themselves said in the past thread to not post if you have nothing to say.

People conflate generic with cliche and nothing is wrong with cliche. The best things in media are usually ridden with cliches , but they are well written, performed and executed. Furthermore, anything new that is genuinely creative and good will itself become a cliche...because it's genuinely good. The Sopranos is packed with old cliches and created it's own. The likeable yet genuinely bad person, the bad marriage etc

Oct 27, 2017
And what exactly did you add to the thread?

The mods said this in the last thread:
Official Staff Communication

Stop arguing back and forth over the individual preferences and tastes of your fellow members. You don't have to like certain video games. You also don't need to take every single opportunity to express that you don't like video games. Please stop focusing on these things and get back on topic.
If you can't add anything to the discussion and keep throwing around meaningless words like "generic" and not bothering to explain then don't post.

Deleted member 10847

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What kind of shitposts are these? I'm talking from personal experience, you're talking as if I said what you just acted like I said.

Find Days Gone threads where people who are hyped for it have never acknowledged and accepted anything negative. You'll never find what you're looking for.

You are the one being agressive. Please behave yourself with that atitude, again, no one was disrepectfull until you appeared out of nowhere without adding any value to a dead discussion.

Edit: also Im out of this thread. Sorry if i ofended anyone.

Oct 27, 2017
People conflate generic with cliche and nothing is wrong with cliche. The best things in media are usually ridden with cliches , but they are well written, performed and executed. Furthermore, anything new that is genuinely creative and good will itself become a cliche...because it's genuinely good. The Sopranos is packed with old cliches and created it's own. The likeable yet genuinely bad person, the bad marriage etc
Agreed.

This game definitely has cliche things or things we saw before but what matters is the execution. As far as generic goes, the game is nowehere near that because we have never seen a game of this scale before. Last game I remember that tried to do something similar was Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare which came out in 2010.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
You are the one being agressive. Please behave yourself with that atitude, again, no one was disrepectfull until you appeared out of nowhere without adding any value to a dead discussion.
If you feel like my tone is "aggressive" then that's on you. You can't tell me to "behave" when I'm the one trying to call out the posts that contribute nothing. You made a strange comment, and people responded to it including myself, you followed it up with some real banal arguments. Personally, when I come into these threads, I probably have already discussed the subject material itself in other threads so it's not hard to very quickly come across shit-posts and drive-by trolling and pick up on it. You happen to have been one of the first comments I saw that made me question why you're even in the thread in the first place with a comment like that.

And what exactly did you add to the thread?

The mods said this in the last thread:

If you can't add anything to the discussion and keep throwing around meaningless words like "generic" and not bothering to explain then don't post.
Thank you.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
After the hubbabaloo i went and checked out some real gameplay, and while it is pretty clearly Sony Studios version of State of Decay, it looks very much like the Development Team are pumping the genre up with the gore, top notch production values, motorcycle roaming, and gun play. After watching that stuff i'm looking forward to it, and as long as the reviews dont' bomb, i'll take a gander. Looks fun.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017

I mean, this is what you wrote:

The ones who say they don't like what they see when it comes to this game are either proving that they are ignorant or they have an ulterior motive.

I already gave an explanation of why I'm lukewarm on this game, so according to you I'm stupid or am actively trying to do something to undermine its success.

Deleted member 10847

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you feel like my tone is "aggressive" then that's on you. You can't tell me to "behave" when I'm the one trying to call out the shit-posts. You made a strange comment, and people responded to it including myself, you followed it up with some real banal arguments. Personally, when I come into Days Gone threads, I probably have already discussed much about the subject material in other threads so it's not hard to very quickly come across shit-posts and drive-by trolling and pick up on it. You happen to have been on of the first comments I saw that made me question why you're even in the thread in the first place with a comment like that.

Thank you.

Never commented on a days gone thread before so i was not aware that either defenders of the game like you or trolls were ruining the threads, if it happened thats fault on both sides. I still dont know why offends someone by saying the graphics are nothing to be amazed at. Do i need to write a paper after saying that? But ok, you are the troll Police department. Good for you. Definitly out.