The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Can't wait for the secret boss battle.
tumblr_ncjahdffgr1rp8rbso5_250.gif
You know its coming.

Cursed post.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
It's being made by a different team so maybe not.

If things are already too far into production for FFXVI, maybe not... But the ones after gotta iterate on this seemingly stellar fusion of actiin and old atb for a modern audience and old fans.

I mean the FXVI battle system could be great too, but will it be as widely pleasing as this one seems like it will be? We'll see.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not feeling it. The emphasis of FFVII was never the combat or the action and for this remake it's the only thing they're always showing. Where's the atmosphere, the sense of wonder, the exploring, the beautiful music?

LOL old game has random encounter every 2 seconds. Ofc it's never been about combat lol

Oct 30, 2017
latest

They need to redesign Cait Sith so badly into a human looking Robot, because no way we will see "this" among the other characters it would just look sooooo weird.

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
latest

They need to redesign Cait Sith so badly into a human looking Robot, because no way we will see "this" among the other characters it would just look sooooo weird.

Keeping him looking something like 'this' is exactly what needs to happen, and everything else they've shown or hinted at implies they will do so. Of course, that doesn't mean the stuffed Mog will be the only thing he controls. If you think this is too weird to battle with then I can't imagine Red XIII's design would be too far behind. Besides, the whole point is that
a real human is controlling Cait Sith, so making him or his 'puppet' more human-like defeats the purpose of making a weird robot in the first place.

Last edited:

OmegaMori

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
This game looks awesome and I am sold what would make me sold x 2 is the damn house please please video game gods make them keep the hell house and all the other odd ball stuff FF7 had.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
While another mainline FF doing a battle system like would essentially be like FF until X (where there was variation, but it was just reiterating over turn-based/ATB-based), I don't think S-E will slap this battle system into XVII or whatever, not like that. They really like to experiment and treat every mainline FF like a new IP, which is great imo, although it's also limiting their input.

Now, another thing that is true is that this might be that one time they actually found a good balance between a more classical take on the series and more action-based combat that they seem to have been looking for for a while, so I guess they might want to keep featuring it later on. But I mean, we're guaranteed to get two more games with exactly this combat at minimum anyways.

XVI is seemingly being done by XIV people and I wouldn't be surprised if it's particularly tactical in its approach to battles or has a big party to control.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
That was pretty hype. Pretty generic looking boss though. Also I hate it when games use such a jarring screen effect for tactical pause.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
I'll own that. After the decade-long nightmare that was FF Versus XIII, my trust in Square Enix is at an all-time low.

Combine that with the fact that my hype meter starts at 0 for every game and has to EARN its way to excitement, and you get a situation where this remake is starting off on a bad foot because all of my favorite parts of FFVII are at least four years and $120 away.

They won't drop any characters. The only reason Cait got very little focus in Advent Children was because they didn't know how to render the fat moogle doll without making it look silly and they weren't very proud of their fur tech at the time.

I don't blame you.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No way this is just a few hours long, didn't they say before it will be the length of a stand alone FF game.

At the very least I'm expecting 15-20 hours, maybe up to 30-40 hours.
Needs to be at least 30 hours if they're claiming it's the length of a stand alone ff game. Anything less than that would be a big disappointment and untrue.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
For everyone worrying about them finishing, realize that Part 2 and 3 will be more like massive expansions.
The Witcher 3 took years to develop but both expansions were released quite quickly.

Also,

Punch Girl >> Flower Girl

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
For everyone worrying about them finishing, realize that Part 2 and 3 will be more like massive expansions.
The Witcher 3 took years to develop but both expansions were released quite quickly.

Also,

Punch Girl >> Flower Girl

I'd love this to be the case, but all development has been on Midgar so far, next they've got the entire world to design and create, however they are going to implement it. It's not like they can add to part 1, as Midgar isn't used much after this.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think Part 2 will be the biggest of the series (which i assume will be 3), and while that could be problematic in some areas (mostly the variety of locales and assets to create, the need to turn up to 11 the epic scale for every scene, figure out how to develop the over-world and such...), but at the same time they'll aready have a solid framework to use to develop, as well as better knowledge of UE4 and last but not least next-gen hardware.
Pre-production times are gonna be shorter for sure, and active production might actually be shorter than people expect depending on their ability to capitalize on things mentioned above.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I'd love this to be the case, but all development has been on Midgar so far, next they've got the entire world to design and create, however they are going to implement it. It's not like they can add to part 1, as Midgar isn't used much after this.
Yep, Midgar is such a tiny portion of the full game..to reach this astounding level of detail for the rest of the environments in the open world is a seriously heavy task. That said I really hope they can do it and I'm certainly willing to wait for it.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
The FFVII:R team could really use the Persona team's graphic design dept. Poach some of Atlus' staff and give those plain looking menus some style.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Part 2 will be the biggest of the series (which i assume will be 3), and while that could be problematic in some areas (mostly the variety of locales and assets to create, the need to turn up to 11 the epic scale for every scene, figure out how to develop the over-world and such...), but at the same time they'll aready have a solid framework to use to develop, as well as better knowledge of UE4 and last but not least next-gen hardware.
Pre-production times are gonna be shorter for sure, and active production might actually be shorter than people expect depending on their ability to capitalize on things mentioned above.

Maybe they can move some of the less important parts/locations to Part 3 for better balance. For example Gongaga.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
They might have already done some pre-production for what comes after Midgar, at least a rough plan of what they are keeping, what kind of scenarios they might be adding to the story that aren't in the original in any form, and what they are scrapping from the OG FFVII. Plus now they have the studio to work on the sequels from the start, instead of whatever fuckery happened with CC2 and building a new internal team almost from scratch (IIRC the people whoe were on FFVII Remake on SQEX's side were pretty much a skeleton crew of key personnel like Nomura, Kitase and some leads).

So yeah, I'd say the subsequent parts are unlikely to take 5 years but considering how this first part is turning out, I'm kind of afraid there will be (nearly) 3 years between releases. As efficiently as they should be able to move on to the next part, there's just so much to do and at this quality even with the groundwork done, something like 2 years sounds like it won't be enough.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
They might have already done some pre-production for what comes after Midgar, at least a rough plan of what they are keeping, what kind of scenarios they might be adding to the story that aren't in the original in any form, and what they are scrapping from the OG FFVII. Plus now they have the studio to work on the sequels from the start, instead of whatever fuckery happened with CC2 and building a new internal team almost from scratch (IIRC the people whoe were on FFVII Remake on SQEX's side were pretty much a skeleton crew of key personnel like Nomura, Kitase and some leads).

So yeah, I'd say the subsequent parts are unlikely to take 5 years but considering how this first part is turning out, I'm kind of afraid there will be (nearly) 3 years between releases. As efficiently as they should be able to move on to the next part, there's just so much to do and at this quality even with the groundwork done, something like 2 years sounds like it won't be enough.

Oh yeah for sure, i wouldn't expect less than 3 years (2023) for Part 2 and 2 years (2025) for Part 3 which should be smaller by logic.
As you say they must probably already be in planning phase for the next one, people took Kitase's words at E3 about not knowing shit about Pt2 too seriously, to me it felt like they already have plans but are dodging questions until later of course.

And honestly 5 years from the release of Pt1 to have the entire saga playable is more than tolerable imho especially with the level of quality they are delivering.

Oct 30, 2017
Japan
What should help speed up production for future releases is that the game engine is set, the battle system, models, animations and a lot of groundwork is ready from this part of the game. And of course the next section will all be developed in-house so they won't have to switch development and waste a ton of time. Along with that they already know what they need to develop as I'm sure they've planned out how the next game will pan out. They have the staff and they know what to do.

What I'm worried about is the generational switch. They might feel pressured to update the engine and what not to take advantage of PS5 so the game remains cutting edge. Which might mean they'll get caught between generations like they did with VersusXIII/XV.

I think it's best to make part 2 cross-gen with the PS5 version offering native 4k and a few other improvements rather than an overhaul. If we assume part 3 will release in the last few years of the PS5s life then I'd expect that to be next-gen only.

What would really help is if they had another team slowly working on part 2 in tandem with part 1. That'd be the absolute best case scenario, but would require S-E to demonstrate a level of competency which is unseen since FF7, 8, 9 and 10. So about two decades.

It's very hard to predict exactly what's going to happen at this point. I'm hoping for the best that the game will be only 3 parts, the next part releases in 2-3 years and is already under development.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Witcher 3 base game was a complete story. HoS and B&W are dlc through and through. In FFVII, the Midgar parts were like 15% at most of the plot of FFVII. They'd have to make massive changes if they want to make the first part the biggest one, which would be unfortunate. Midgar is cool but the magic of FFVII is how mysterious Midgar can be when many areas are just hinted at with what we have, and we have many other places to explore aside from Midgar. It's why I think Crisis Core sucked in this aspect. Too Midgar-centric, not enough of other locales.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
What should help speed up production for future releases is that the game engine is set, the battle system, models, animations and a lot of groundwork is ready from this part of the game. And of course the next section will all be developed in-house so they won't have to switch development and waste a ton of time. Along with that they already know what they need to develop as I'm sure they've planned out how the next game will pan out. They have the staff and they know what to do.

What I'm worried about is the generational switch. They might feel pressured to update the engine and what not to take advantage of PS5 so the game remains cutting edge. Which might mean they'll get caught between generations like they did with VersusXIII/XV.

I think it's best to make part 2 cross-gen with the PS5 version offering native 4k and a few other improvements rather than an overhaul. If we assume part 3 will release in the last few years of the PS5s life then I'd expect that to be next-gen only.

What would really help is if they had another team slowly working on part 2 in tandem with part 1. That'd be the absolute best case scenario, but would require S-E to demonstrate a level of competency which is unseen since FF7, 8, 9 and 10. So about two decades.

It's very hard to predict exactly what's going to happen at this point. I'm hoping for the best that the game will be only 3 parts, the next part releases in 2-3 years and is already under development.

It really don't make any sense making part 2 cross gen .
If it comes out in 2022 that 3 years into next gen .
All you will be doing is holding back the second part and making more work for devs .
Also they using UE so the engine will get upgrade by epic any way .

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah assuming next-gen systems are coming out next year.... I don't see part 2 being Cross-gen unless they release it by 2021.

Oct 30, 2017
Japan
It really don't make any sense making part 2 cross gen .
If it comes out in 2022 that 3 years into next gen .
All you will be doing is holding back the second part and making more work for devs .
Also they using UE so the engine will get upgrade by epic any way .

You're probably right. Perhaps the generational switch isn't such a big headache if they just make it next-gen only. Let's hope they do that.

There will be no open world - wait for it

In Midgar? I agree. It'll be expanded, perhaps you visit another sector or 2. Preexisting locations will be much bigger. But, it'll still be narrative driven. You won't have the freedom to explore the city outside of where the game takes you. I don't think people should expect that.

World map wise probably the same. Large zones that you traverse as part of the narrative.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018

Yeah the backend stuff and groundwork is set to pave the way for the later parts. Assets can be reused and re-skinned. Engine should be fine since they are working with UE4 which is such a common engine.

Scuttlefluff

Oct 28, 2017
Shit, I just let my imagination take over at how cool Vincent and Yuffie are going to be in this battle system.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
There will be no open world - wait for it

An open world and an overworld are two different things, and FFVII had an overworld. Going with that here would significantly lower costs, but now you need to decide how to do encounters. Ideally, I'd prefer something like DQ VIII's overworld than FFXV's open world. It's a good middle ground between actually visually seeing the world at scale and not having to be crazy detailed.