• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
+1 and I say this as someone who somehow enjoyed annihilation as a child. I can still watch the first one now and enjoy it but annihilation put so much stock into CGI and has horrible pacing that it just is a nonstop trainwreck. 1 had horrible CGI too but it was used to sparingly that I can forgive it

The best part of Annihilation is the hilarious website the filmmakers set up, where they just straight up begged people not to trash the film.

Wayback Machine (archive.org)

Oct 27, 2017
i really dont get the cole thing. he prettx much replaces liu kang but liu is also in the movie?! why dont they usw johnny cage instead? i get it, they need a new character to stand in for the audience. but they could use so many of the mk roster to do that. liu, johnny, sonya, jax, stryker...
I mean if you don't want to spoil yourself imo after looking at the leaked script it kinda makes sense in a way

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
fuck. they used the script were the "boxer" (cole) is the main character and all the mk characters are pretty much cameos/side characters. :(
Why in the world would they use some made up character instead of fan favorites as the main character? I seriously don't get how they make these decisions sometimes

Seems to be a common obsession of Hollywood writers when adapting video games. See: Alice in Resident Evil, Rose in Silent Hill, Natalie in Monster Hunter, Tom in Sonic the Hedgehog, etc.

Nov 1, 2017
Not excited about this Cole guy.

"Lets make a whole new (also white, generic and "marketable") character for the non-MK audience"- film exec

WB probably didn't to risk building a franchise around Asian characters like Liu Kang.

Typical Hollywood bullshit.

Edit: the actor is mixed. My mistake!

Last edited:

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I actually like their approach of focusing the movie on a brand new protagonist. The story from the games was paper thin. But lets see how the movie will end up being.

Nice promo pics.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I really like the pics, but the Cole thing is worrying. Like something they'd do in old videogame-based movies.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems to be a common obsession of Hollywood writers when adapting video games. See: Alice in Resident Evil, Rose in Silent Hill, Natalie in Monster Hunter, Tom in Sonic the Hedgehog, etc.
It's not just video games. It's a common Hollywood movie trope of a "normal" person, that the regular audience is supposed to identify and experience with, enters a "new world".

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This should've been an ensemble cast without a defined protagonist. But no, I guess we're not allowed to have nice things.

shadow_shogun

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
EryG1WJW8AE7Fk9

EryG1xEXcAcO2d5

EryG2dVXYAAUhkL

EryG27xW8AIj171

EryHf-qXUAURCU0
EryHgmmXYAo3U0C

This looks too good, had no idea Joe Taslim was in this.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Not excited about this Cole guy.

"Lets make a whole new (also white, generic and "marketable") character for the non-MK audience"- film exec

WB probably didn't to risk building a franchise around Asian characters like Liu Kang.

Typical Hollywood bullshit.
The weird thing was the original film which was the entire reason this film is even being made was lead by Liu Kang.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having not read the script, I can only assume they have Cole because in this film all the other characters who we could've experienced being introduced to this world are already established in it and have history there.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EryG1WJW8AE7Fk9

EryG1xEXcAcO2d5

EryG2dVXYAAUhkL

EryG27xW8AIj171

EryHf-qXUAURCU0
EryHgmmXYAo3U0C

This looks too good, had no idea Joe Taslim was in this.

What's the catch? Whose souls have been sacrificed to Shang Tsung for this to happen? I mean, I'm already really happy to see Liu Kang and Kung Lao together but I had no idea Joe Taslim was playing Sub-Zero or that Hiroyuki Sanada was playing Scorpion. That's some serious, serious talent.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The best part of Annihilation is the hilarious website the filmmakers set up, where they just straight up begged people not to trash the film.

Wayback Machine (archive.org)
And what about Rayden? You all wanted to see him fight in this movie and he does, a couple of times in fact. We tried to make it a different kind of fight. It's intentional what happens. What do you think? He even has a new look, he's sleeker, cooler, and he sports a buzz cut. Do you like it?

Lmao.

I love how they go all with the idea that it was people not noticing all the fan service that made them dislike the film, trying to get them to increase ticket sales by seeing it again to become their QA department out of their own pocket.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hope for a good movie, but I doubt about it.
I think a live action TV series (or animated series) is a much better format for Mortal Kombat with those amount of characters.

Gwynbleidd

Oct 27, 2017
Just read the post of the leaked script on Reddit. I hope it's good but it sounds absolutely terrible. I'm excited lol. Love a good train wreck movie

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck so much negativity!
I get the script leaked but several movies have had leaked scripted and turned out better then we expected, i remeber joker everyone was saying it was gonna be trash and wasn't that bad. Also there are new characters always introduced in mortal kombat give it a chance...

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
I think Tan's character is related to either Sub or Scorp.

Or obviously, it's a younger Shang Tsung.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why adaptations need to add generic audience surrogate characters when the actual source material has ones that can be used!

You want a white guy as the lead? Johnny Cage gets caught up in the MK shit.
Could use Jax and start off without the metal arms, plenty of films with weird shit have military guys be the main character/audience POV. Could use Sonya etc.

I know I'm not a writer or studio exec but is it REALLY that hard to sell people on character from the property is the main character?

Feb 3, 2019
is it just me or those photos look really fucking cool? I don't really care about the story, its MK, if the fights are fucking great and gory and brutal and the characters dont look like bad cosplay I'm in

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Who cares about a script for a movie about a fighting tournament. The original is badass for its awesome fights and music and the hammy acting . Everything else was mediocre.

So long as the fights are good and it looks like we finally see some fatalities I'm In.

Bonus points if they use the original movies theme. It's what got me over the line for mk 11

ZeroCDR

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not expecting greatness but will definitely watch. Cole Turner and the apparent lack of Johnny Cage sucks, but that shot of Kung Lao and Liu Kang is pretty hype ngl. Down for some R rated action.