OP
OP
linkboy

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
And I was really hoping to go to a game this year too. Even though the Niners' owner abstained from voting, it would've been better if he flat out said no to the whole thing. Same with the Jets owner, he doesn't get a pass for saying he's not going to fine his players if he still voted on the rules. Good thing I'm going to be too busy with work this season to watch football anyway.

Jed abstained from voting because he didn't agree on voting without the players being present.

His issue was with the entire process.

A no vote still shows that he agreed with the voting process.

pilcrow

Oct 27, 2017
California
I'm not too well versed with the NFL end of this stuff but somewhere along the line with Trump taking the hardline stance against the protests, I feel like kneeling against police brutality started to get more conflated with a broader anti-Trump message. The NFL is disgusting for doing this but hopefully we see renewed calling out of police brutality as a result.

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
Wonder how many fans would actually get their asses off the couch and stand in their living room if the anthem were televised...

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
It is pre-taped. FOX reporter John Roberts tweeted out that Trump was asked about the new NFL rule and said he was pleased that people have to stand but didn't like that staying in the locker room is an option.

Cross quoting from the Trump Fox and Friends thread. Trump doesn't want players to have the option to sit out.

OP
OP
linkboy

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I'm not too well versed with the NFL end of this stuff but somewhere along the line with Trump taking the hardline stance against the protests, I feel like kneeling against police brutality started to get more conflated with a broader anti-Trump message. The NFL is disgusting for doing this but hopefully we see renewed calling out of police brutality as a result.

That's what they (being Trump and his ilk) were going for.

They hijacked the message and changed the meaning.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
If an employee made a plolitical statement/action, without the aproval of the employer, on company time and company property and the results of their action directly affected the work environment, brand image, and/or revenue the company would have grounds for terminating their employment. That is how almost every company operates.

But most people aren't employed by monopolies that actively, and illegally, blacklist workers like the NFL is clearly doing to Kaepernick

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this will be like a Call of Duty boycott or if people will take a stand and just stop watching football.

Polaroid_64

Oct 25, 2017
All those drunk ass motherfuckers at the games who rant on facebook about this shit better be standing. No going to the bathroom or buying beer during the anthem.

Stand there and respect, fuckboys.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
They did this in response to falling ratings. It will be interesting to see how the ratings shake out. Will even more people boycott the games? If so, would be funny to see them do an about face next season.

Ratings is such bullshit though, they still were the highest rated in prime time last year and made 14 billion

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I've always known America was racist but this whole ordeal has highlighted how hypocritical and blatant it is. God damn.....how can you go on about freedom of speech and then a minute later get up in arms about this.

OP
OP
linkboy

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I've always known America was racist but this whole ordeal has highlighted how hypocritical and blatant it is. God damn.....how can you go on about freedom of speech and then a minute later get up in arms about this.

Because the people who are up in arms about this only want one thing, black people to sit down and shut up (this applies to other minorities as well). In their mind, anyone who isn't white is an invited guest living in this country and they should act like it. They honestly think this is country for white christians and anyone who doesn't fit that should either adapt or get the fuck out.

These same idiots also have no idea how freedom of speech works (or what the first amendment is for)

RabidDwarf76

Oct 27, 2017
I'm saying that you can't compare the NFL to a normal workplace because they have an anti-trust exemption and clearly aren't constrained by things like the law anyway.
Again. I fail to see a connection here. I'm not taking a position on his political stance nor am I saying anything regarding the NFL's new policy or their previous issues. What does their status have to do with their ability to fire an employee who's personal actions on company time directly impacted their brand in a manner they didn't like?

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
6. Black players will be referred to as "Boy" should they even look like they might get uppity

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
I boycotted the nfl last season and about 9 or 10 weeks in, they started saying that trump was calling for the boycott, so I stopped boycotting because they were claiming that they were the reason that the numbers were declining....

This will really keep me away this year

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Because the people who are up in arms about this only want one thing, black people to sit down and shut up (this applies to other minorities as well). In their mind, anyone who isn't white is an invited guest living in this country and they should act like it. They honestly think this is country for white christians and anyone who doesn't fit that should either adapt or get the fuck out.

These same idiots also have no idea how freedom of speech works (or what the first amendment is for)
The grand irony here is that with all the inaccurate debates that have been had over the years about freedom of speech and the first amendment and this may actually be the first case it applies to. It can be easily argued that the NFL took this action because of Trump's attacks. The players have had their right to protest infringed upon by a representative of the US gov't, if they took this case to court they would win without question.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My suggestion for anthem protest would be wearing a folded black bandana/blindfold over your eyes as a call for justice. I suspect that the "Players must show appropriate respect" clause exists to prevent anyone from sidestepping the rules by doing anything else out of the ordinary though.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I'm sorry that I apologized when I said Black football players kneelings are criminal thugs. This is totally about the troops y'all.

OP
OP
linkboy

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
My suggestion for anthem protest would be wearing a folded black bandana/blindfold over your eyes as a call for justice. I suspect that the "Players must show appropriate respect" clause exists to prevent anyone from sidestepping the rules by doing anything else out of the ordinary though.

That's exactly what it's for.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I was watching NFL live in ESPN Mexico and John sutcliffle is a piece of shit. "As an American Mexican I was so upset with the players kneeling"... Amazing how some people don't care about anything but themselves.
Also blaming the kneeling for low rankings. If you see him on ESPN, be aware how shit he is.

Jackpot

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dog whistle time!

Trump, on NFL, suggests players who kneel 'shouldn't be in the country'

"You have to stand, proudly, for the national anthem or you shouldn't be playing. You shouldn't be there. Maybe you shouldn't be in the country. You have to stand proudly for the national anthem."

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/05/24/trump-nfl-anthem-policy-607123

Because those players kneeling don't look like us. They must come from somewhere else. Are they really citizens? Go back to Swaziland! /s

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
and with that, another season of NFL goes into my "I don't give a flying fuck" list. No more trips to London to watch your games any more. Good job at voting in favour of it too Lions. Cowards.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
This is why I get my "large men smacking into each other" fix by watching Pro Sumo now. Course their organization is blatantly sexist, but at least it's devoid of US political nonsense.

To hell with the NFL.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
They should change the protest position to lying face down on the field with their hands on their heads, since that's what cops seem to find the most threatening anyway.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Thought this was a joke when I first saw they were thinking of introducing this proper, just wow, disgusting.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
America is full of morons.

Every country is. The difference in the US is that a major political party goads them into political activism, convincing them that their ignorance is a virtue and the 'Real America'.

Conservatives exploit these morons similarly to how the NFL exploits the flag and the military for profit. Then they both shield themselves with the flag while they all laugh at how easy it is.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trump n Friends want this controversy to stretch for as long as possible. More votes for Trump the closer this bleeds into 2020.

Trump is both very dumb and smart at the same time.