• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
canada
not sure how excited Id be without platinum. Platinum MADE automata, Taro directed. Automatas various gameplay changes, mech shooting, hacking, camera changes, were a big part of why i enjoyed the game.

Does square even have anyone whose good for combat besides the dude working on FF7R?

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
More NieR?! That_is_rad_yakuza.gif

Yoko Taro and his team deserve this success.
Hey Sony... if you're reading this: can you put up the original NieR on PS Now? More people need to play this and listen to its amazing music. One of my top 10 OST of the decade. Yes, it's that good.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Oh God yes. I knew it would be coming after Automata's success. I'm so happy this series is going to continue.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
Hell yeah! New PS5/Xbox Nier incoming! I'm ready for an amazing OST to consume me again.
I hope platinum is the dev. They made so many amazing visual and audio moments in Automata.

Like music going into midi files when hacking or the visual downgrades you would get when getting hacked. I can't remember anyone else doing this sort of thing.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope it's not Nier

I never really got why people say this. He isn't known for doing direct sequels where he keeps the same protagonists, so with that in mind, I don't see why it matters if the game happens to have Nier in its title. He could do whatever he wants with it really.

Oct 25, 2017
I never really got why people say this. He isn't known for doing direct sequels where he keeps the same protagonists, so with that in mind, I don't see why it matters if the game happens to have Nier in its title. He could do whatever he wants with it really.
I just kind of want a new universe instead of more red eyes and watcher tattoos that amount to nothing.

They're not direct sequels in the traditional sense, but they still respect the lore and previous events shape up the world. My experience in Automata was greatly increased because I was a fan already, and while I really appreciated that, I also want something without any baggage.

I agree that being called Nier doesn't stop Yoko Taro from doing that, but with as many games as we have now, I think it's pretty clear he stops himself from doing that if he's using the same franchise.

not sure how excited Id be without platinum. Platinum MADE automata, Taro directed. Automatas various gameplay changes, mech shooting, hacking, camera changes, were a big part of why i enjoyed the game.

Does square even have anyone whose good for combat besides the dude working on FF7R?
I personally like the gameplay changes in Gestalt even more than in Automata, because I think they were more varied. I also prefer the boss fights, since the RPG systems completely destroyed the bosses that are actually well designed enough, but get way too easy if because of leveling.

Those things are probably part of Yoko Taro's vision, not necessarily the studio working on it.

With Taura becoming a director at Platinum and showing so much promise with Astral Chain, I think this is for the best. We get the best of both worlds now.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just kind of want a new universe instead of more red eyes and watcher tattoos that amount to nothing.

They're not direct sequels in the traditional sense, but they still respect the lore and previous events shape up the world. My experience in Automata was greatly increased because I was a fan already, and while I really appreciated that, I also want something without any baggage.

I agree that being called Nier doesn't stop Yoko Taro from doing that, but with as many games as we have now, I think it's pretty clear he stops himself from doing that if he's using the same franchise.

I get it I guess, but at the same time I don't think it's a huge worry. Like off the top of my head, Automata for example had that one ending for the machines that could easily offer a narrative that's more or less divorced from the world of Nier.

I'll buy whatever he's making next, but I wouldn't blame him for sticking with the Nier brand.

Oct 25, 2017
I get it I guess, but at the same time I don't think it's a huge worry. Like off the top of my head, Automata for example had that one ending for the machines that could easily offer a narrative that's more or less divorced from the world of Nier.

I'll buy whatever he's making next, but I wouldn't blame him for sticking with the Nier brand.
Oh yeah, I'm in day one for whatever it is, and it'll probably be GOTY.

If Drakengard 3 was my GOTY, I have nothing to worry about when it comes to Yoko Taro.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

It's a tangent, but I don't think they really have anyone who consistently comes up with good ARPG stuff outside of Mitsunori Takahashi. There's Takatsugu Nakazawa who is their other action guy, but his resume reads like a list of the Square games I dislike the most (he was the battle director on X-2, Crisis Core, Type-0 and FFXV). He's also the guy who came up with the draw system in VIII, which I know lots of people love.

Loads of stupid talented turn-based people though.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Chiming in on the possibility of Platinum not making the next Nier project, I'd actually be disappointed too in that case. More than Platinum being talented developers, it's also the chemistry that Taro, Saito, and Taura have in developing the game. Watching interviews of them together, you'd get a sense that they three look up to each other and enjoy working with each other apart from being friends. It's a shame not to have Taura working on the next Nier project in that case (especially since he's a big Nier fanboy apparently).

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Are we sure this is even a videogame, not a stage play, a radio drama, light novel or whatever Taro feels like doing at the moment?

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Let's hope that their next developer isn't Platinum.

Don't want another busted up PC version with no patches in 2 years +.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for the next Nier game. Praise the mankind.

giphy.gif

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Nice! Never heard of this Benji lad but I assume from the responses he is to be trusted?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Nice! Never heard of this Benji lad but I assume from the responses he is to be trusted?
Honestly, I have no idea why we're taking Benji's word on this in particular. He's reliable when it comes to sales and tracking data, but I've never seen him have insider sources for this stuff.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
To be fair, Automata is the pinnacle of a "Came for the butts, stayd for the story" sort of game, so perhaps it could take a (relative) backseat this time around since the fanbase is already there after Automata.
To my recollection, I'm pretty sure this was how it was for me. I think the general flow for me was:
- Learns there is a demo coming to PS4 and sees gameplay gifs. I think it looks pretty fun, main girl's got a nice design, I'll go check it out.
- Plays the demo, likes it, interested to learn more
- Saw the tweet by Taro about the zip of 2B lewds, curious to see what the fuss is all about

-
r_245616_JKURo.jpg

- The game is released, I don't buy it at first, but I do listen to the soundtrack, and I am absolutely blown away
- Sincerely interested in picking up the game, I watch Clemps' videos on the Nier lore to get myself all caught up. I'm suddenly interested even more
- I get the game for my birthday, I play through it over the next couple months, my depression in college makes the story feel even more relevant
- I get to ending E, and lose my goddamn shit (I originally thought a sign of weakness to accept help from others and that I would miss out on something if I didn't gung-ho all the way through. However, I eventually gave in after failing again and again and was deeply touched)
- Game of the year

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I understand the belief that platinum may not make it, but what about taro? Is there reasons to believe he would or wouldn't?

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I expect it to defy all my expectations and yet fulfill all my expectations as the same time.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it will be it's own thing. People will get their Automata fix with all the collabs they're doing. I wouldn't be surprised if the Yorha stuff in FFXIV was a canon sequel to Automata lol. Yoko Taro would do something like that.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
I'm not too up to date on the thread, do we have any source thats not Mystic or so called "leakers"?

Dude is a bullshitter, kept saying P5R was a Switch exclusive and changing his story every time he turned out to be wrong.

Any thing official, Taro said anything himself?

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017