• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Nintendo reveal the Switch's successor this year?

• It's happening

Votes: 916 62.2%
  • It's not happening

Votes: 556 37.8%

• Total voters

Draughn

Oct 29, 2017
Redmond, WA
Last edited:

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
😈😈😈 December can't get here soon enough. 😈😈😈
A reveal of Switch 2 at TGA would be unbelievable. Unfortunately it's unrealistic. That said Series X got announced at TGA. At least the design and Hellblade. I can't remember if TGA was the first time we've heard about the console. So there is chance. Let me dream

darth_diablo

Jun 7, 2021
Another question that I'm hoping someone knowledgeable with DLSS and game dev can offer some insight on:

Assuming we have BC with next-gen Switch, if we wanted to enjoy better graphical fidelity for some of the more demanding Switch 1 games (ie: No Man's Sky), devs would need to add a patch for DLSS support right?

What kind of amount of work would be required for patch that adds DLSS support? 6 months? Or kinda quick/easy (a month worth)? I understand it's a bit of a loaded question, dependent on how good devs are, just looking for some general ideas on if we can expect to see a decent number of popular Switch 1 games receive DLSS patch because the work is relatively manageable.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Assuming we have BC with next-gen Switch, if we wanted to enjoy better graphical fidelity for some of the more demanding Switch 1 games (ie: No Man's Sky), devs would need to add a patch for DLSS support right?
DLSS support needs to be patched in. I can't answer how long it takes, because I am not a game developer.

darth_diablo

Jun 7, 2021
DLSS support needs to be patched in. I can't answer how long it takes, because I am not a game developer.

Sorry, my question was meant to be targeting those with some knowledge:

"I'm hoping someone knowledgeable with DLSS and game dev can offer some insight on".

We do know pre-existing games would need to be patched to support DLSS if they don't already support DLSS.

Draughn

Oct 29, 2017
Redmond, WA
Sorry, my question was meant to be targeting those with some knowledge:

"I'm hoping someone knowledgeable with DLSS and game dev can offer some insight on".

We do know pre-existing games would need to be patched to support DLSS if they don't already support DLSS.
It's generally straightforward, especially if the engine already has DLSS builds available (UE). There will be time needed to adjust settings to best leverage it on the console, but it is pretty straightforward for devs. It uses features of game engines that are common to most of them, so it usually won't be a technical blocker stopping it. Probably a month/less for active dev teams w/ a modern engine, but it is going to be studio/game/engine dependent. Old games w/out a team to dust it off, patch in DLSS, and optimize are the ones that could take 6+months.

darth_diablo

Jun 7, 2021
It's generally straightforward, especially if the engine already has DLSS builds available (UE). There will be time needed to adjust settings to best leverage it on the console, but it is pretty straightforward for devs. It uses features of game engines that are common to most of them, so it usually won't be a technical blocker stopping it. Probably a month/less for active dev teams w/ a modern engine, but it is going to be studio/game/engine dependent. Old games w/out a team to dust it off, patch in DLSS, and optimize are the ones that could take 6+months.

That's fantastic. Assuming we have BC and the new system's SoC comes with DLSS support (cannot imagine why it wouldn't), would be interesting to see how many of current-gen (Switch 1) games get a DLSS patch treatment.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Appropriately No Man's Sky had a recent update on Switch to implement FSR 2.0.

If a game has TAA it is easier to implement DLSS, as DLSS itself is a form of temporal upsampling, using information from previous frames to reconstruct a better one. The workload isn't gone, they would still need to test it, but reduced. And totally worth it.

Xenoblade 2 uses TAA and Xenoblade 3 actually uses a better temporal upsampling solution already. DLSS will be right at home on MonolithSoft's engines.

p5uhqr.webp

darth_diablo

Jun 7, 2021
Appropriately No Man's Sky had a recent update on Switch to implement FSR 2.0.

Just looked that up - yeah, pretty recent indeed (patch 4.4). And just watched a video showing how FSR 2.0 improved things considerably. I'll definitely want to check it out soon! Would not have known about this had you not mentioned it.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
The crucial thing FSR2/DLSS2/XESS all need is motion vector data, and basically the same motion vector data. I don't think any variation of TAAU really has that, so having done the work for that one doesn't get you very far on the other class.

More details regarding what happened at Gamescom from NateTheHate

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPdxsXmAJnk&t=2s

- BOTW was indeed running with DLSS at 4K60FPS (3.5 DLL installed seemingly?)

- BOTW has loading times eliminated (UFS 3.1 maybe UFS 4.0?)

- Matrix Demo was allegedly running with better RT than PS5/Series X (RTXDI? Lumen Improvements? Epic Settings?), but not using Ray Reconstruction

- March 2024 is being chattered about a lot

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
The crucial thing FSR2/DLSS2/XESS all need is motion vector data, and basically the same motion vector data. I don't think any variation of TAAU really has that, so having done the work for that one doesn't get you very far on the other class.
Doesn't TAA use motion vectors already?

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017

- Matrix Demo was allegedly running with better RT than PS5/Series X (RTXDI? Lumen Improvements? Epic Settings?), but not using Ray Reconstruction

Thanks for posting! Going to listen now. Excited to dig through this one.

I could see March 2024 happening again. Worked great for them last time. Early adopters snag it in March, supply can be bolstered (hopefully) for the next holiday season.

Edit: I see it was "announcement" in March. Nvm.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany

entut1

Mar 31, 2023
Nate has specifically said he's being told March 2024 was chattered a lot. He doesn't have clarity on whether it's the reveal or release month. Also Nintendo didn't say no hardware this FY.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

This sounds very unrealistic. Better RT than PS5 and XSX on a Nintendo console? Can't see that happening.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
What speed is the current switch storage? UFS3.1 is 1450 MB/s per lane and can have a max of 2 lanes.
UFS4.0 is 2900 MB/s per lane and can have up to 2 lanes also.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds very unrealistic. Better RT than PS5 and XSX on a Nintendo console? Can't see that happening.
You'd be shocked to learn that Switch had a better features than PS4 too, then.
It's a more modern hardware so it's bound to do some things better.

Also, personal opinion but I barely notice Ray Tracing on PS5 unless I see direct comparaison pic (when I played Ratched and Clank), ah maybe it'll be the same for Switch 2 anyway.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

You underestimate just how much better NVIDIA's RT cores are than AMD's RT acceleration. My 3070 wallops the 7900XTX in Cyberpunk RT Overdrive despite the older architecture, lower price, worse process node, worse RAM, worse everything really.

entut1

Mar 31, 2023
It's so hilarious to me Nintendo's going to have graphics-enhancing features over Microsoft/Sony in their console for the first time in over two decades

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Oh ok. I just assumed it was announcement.
I think I remember something about no new hardware this fiscal year to investors, but seems I'm wrong

What was actually said was that the projected hardware sales numbers for the fiscal year did not take into account any new/unannounced hardware. Which feels slightly odd to say if there wasn't any such hardware coming anyway.

Bansi

Banned
Jul 28, 2023
I do expect very broad third-party support for Switch 2, not just in new games being ported to it, but also older games being updated to run and look better on the system. Should be great for everyone.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'm hoping Switch 2 is planned for April-Aug as a release date.

Lets the system come and have a buffer before the first holiday period absolutely kills anyone being able to get a hold of one for a solid year.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
You underestimate just how much better NVIDIA's RT cores are than AMD's RT acceleration. My 3070 wallops the 7900XTX in Cyberpunk RT Overdrive despite the older architecture, lower price, worse process node, worse RAM, worse everything really.
I think a lot of people are dismissing the form factor. Gaming laptops may be able to deliver reasonable results for RT, however something like the Switch? Power consumption, heat and form factor will be enormous problems. I would love to see that, but it does not sound feasible at all.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I am guessing March or may reveal, October or November release. $399, 12GB LPDDR5, 8 inch 1080p LCD, hopefully 4K HDR upscaling via Dock, hopefully haptics and adaptive triggers in joy cons (far less likely sadly), and 1TFs/2TFs. Not a bad upgrade all in all.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Still listening but they did mention raw power will not match even Series S but superior feature sets.

That would make sense to me - with DLSS 3.5 they would need maybe two thirds of Series S Power to get there? Maybe even less with frame generation and Nvidia Reflex to hit a stable 60fps and something like 1080p to 1440p.
It's truly gonna be crazy, visually if these games can just hook into Nvidias systems they've build up over the years.

If the chip is able to use all of that, it's only a matter of CPU to get current gen ports up and running in a way that doesn't look like Switch Ports of the PS4/One generation.

Yeah I am guessing March or may reveal, October or November release. $399, 12GB LPDDR5, 8 inch 1080p LCD, hopefully 4K HDR upscaling via Dock, hopefully haptics and adaptive triggers in joy cons (far less likely sadly), and 1TFs/2TFs. Not a bad upgrade all in all.

Are there rumors pointing towards a 1080p screen? My guess would be not matter how strong the hardware gets, they are gonna go with 900p max just for the sake of battery. 720p is way more likely for a Switch 2.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Imagine not having to load the entire island for over a minute each time a friend joins you in Animal Crossing

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I think a lot of people are dismissing the form factor. Gaming laptops may be able to deliver reasonable results for RT, however something like the Switch? Power consumption, heat and form factor will be enormous problems. I would love to see that, but it does not sound feasible at all.

I mean, I do also think this would be the result of nearly 2 years worth of additional optimisation of the demo for Switch 2 as well as improvements to UE5 itself. Plus, it's probably running at half the resolution at most. But really, the RT cores are a major advantage. They don't just accelerate every aspect of RT (instead of just one like AMD), they do it in parallel with the rest of the GPU. This is also in docked mode, and we don't know the power consumption for that. Switch docked mode is 15 watts, but it wouldn't be crazy for Nintendo to improve cooling and go further with it for Switch 2. Maybe 25W? Maybe even a fixed 25W with PS5-style dynamic clocks? There are options here, even within the form factor of a handheld.