Will Nintendo reveal the Switch's successor this year?

• It's happening

Votes: 916 62.2%
  • It's not happening

Votes: 556 37.8%

• Total voters

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
982x191

Welcome to the brand new Nintendo Future Hardware Speculation |OT| on Resetera. Your brand new home to discuss all of the rumors and speculation surrounding Nintendo's long awaited upcoming Hardware Reveal.

As a reminder, we have a Nintendo Community |OT2| where you can talk about more than just Nintendo's upcoming future hardware such as games, game related rumors, sales and other general thoughts as well.

switch-family

About this thread, what can I expect from it?

Yes, we all know that Nintendo needs new hardware.
However, please try to not troll or cause fights over what games you think runs perfectly fine, doesn't run well enough or spend your time in this new OT just trying to deter the conversations into a cycle of "no I think you're wrong" "no you're wrong, I'm right" regarding game performance on the current Switch Console lineup.

Yes, if people mostly agree that something is threadmark worthy it'll be threadmarked. I'll try to do what I can to make it as easy as possible for you to stay updated on any new developments, leaks or rumors that are genuinely reputable or people at least agree is worth pointing out for those who may just be entering the thread.

About Insiders and Hardware Speculation. Look, we all want the same thing. We all want the Nintendo Switch 2, Pro, Super Switch or whatever it's going to be called. That's the whole point of this thread -- to talk about whatever rumors various insiders are hearing. Remember to take everything with a grain of salt. Nintendo is pretty damn hard for anyone to exactly pinpoint. At this point in time, we hear so many new rumors about the "next Nintendo console" that insiders' details change weekly so, please don't get attached to any sort of speculation or rumors. It's only gonna cause pointless fights and end up burning yourself in the long run.

Be a good person! Remember, this thread is meant to revitalize Nintendo Hardware Speculation discussions which mean you'll be seeing people here who love and want the same exact thing you love or want, Nintendo! Or, at least the next piece of Nintendo Hardware. Let's try to keep it lighthearted and civil. Plus, lets try to do what we can to make this a genuinely positive and welcoming environment for one another rather than fighting each other or bickering about video game hardware.

Regarding making rumor threads outside of this one. Yeah, let's try to keep everything here for awhile. I know it's easier for some people to seem multiple threads but I promise that the threadmarks will be as organized as possible (plus we have the section below to keep up with updates as well). I think the only time we should make Nintendo Hardware Speculation threads is if we find something legitimately buyable, valuable or potentially breaking news. Then it makes sense to make a brand new separate thread for people who don't end up actively using this OT. Besides that, let's just talk about all of the rumors or speculation here.

Also for the sake of other's safety, let's try to not link any 4Chan stuff. I'm fine with screenshots but linking 4Chan is a risky move and we're better off playing it safe for everyone.
Nintendo_Rumors_Speculation.png

March 2022 NVidia Rumor & Speculation:
March 1 → FamiBoards: The documentation present in "nvn2" mentions that GA10F, Drake's GPU, has 12 SMs in total.
March 1 → Twitter: According to a picture provided by NWPlayer123, the codename for T239, which has been mentioned by kopite7kimi, is now called Drake, after Tim Drake, the real life alias of Robin, in the DC Comics universe. And the documentation in "nvn2" mentions that the T239's GPU's based on the Ampere architecture, supports DLSS 2.2, and supports RTX.
March 1 → Twitter: The source code for DLSS has been illegally leaked. And based on a picture provided by TechPowerUp, there exists a folder named "nvn2"; and inside the folder, there are references to NVN, the Nintendo Switch's API, on the file names "nvn_dlss_backend.h", "nvndlss.cpp", and "nvn_dlss.cpp", very strongly implying that Nintendo and Nvidia are indeed working on a new SoC for new hardware.

March 2023 Nintendo Hardware Rumors & Speculation:
Leak that got Pokémon Scarlet/Violet DLC correct, claims new Switch model will be released alongside DLC2
Jeff Grubb claims he has been hearing things about a possible Switch 2 announcement in late 2023
Reputable Chinese hardware production leaker (and forum) gets ¨Ninja´d¨ by Nintendo as Switch 2 rumors arise
Jeff Grubb: Whatever's next for Nintendo may not be a 'Switch Pro' or 'Switch 2', it may be something in-between to continue the Switch generation

September 2023 Nintendo Rumors & Speculation:
September 7 → Nintendo quietly showed the next Nintendo Switch at Gamescom, runs The Matrix UE5 Tech Demo with "Comparable" Graphics to PS5 via DLSS (source: Eurogamer)
September 7 → One 'Switch 2' demo is understood to have been an improved version of the Switch launch title Zelda: Breath of the Wild, running at a higher framerate and resolution than the original game did, on hardware targeting the new console's specs (but there was no suggestion the game will actually be re-released.) Another VGC source claimed that Nintendo showcased Epic's impressive The Matrix Awakens Unreal Engine 5 tech demo – originally released to showcase the power of PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X in 2021 – running on target specs for its next console. (source: VGC)
September 11 → BOTW was indeed running with DLSS at 4K60FPS (3.5 DLL installed seemingly?). BOTW has loading times eliminated (UFS 3.1 maybe UFS 4.0?). Matrix Demo was allegedly running with better RT than PS5/Series X (RTXDI? Lumen Improvements? Epic Settings?), but not using Ray Reconstruction. March 2024 is being chattered about a lot (Source: NateTheHate)

January 2024 Nintendo Rumors & Speculation:
January 3 → According to Kantan Games' Toto, the console could launch at $400 – $100 higher than the Switch launched at – and there's a chance its games could adopt the $70 pricing of PS5 and Xbox Series X. (source: VGC)
January 8Mainstream news outlet CNBC releases an article speculating about the Nintendo Switch 2 and how they think it'll launch this year, though nothing new was added to these rumors/speculation.

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
That's what I'm talking about.
Here's to whatever the hell comes next.
My uncle says it's Switch 1.2 Final Remix

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
I heard the new hardware is a portable Nintendo Switch dock that you fit your Switch into so you can take it on the go.

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
I'm just praying it's the same design as the Switch Lite, with a larger & higher res display, and docking capability, aside from the performance improvements.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
The Switch Successor ~ also known as The Scalpers Dream.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It makes sense to just have a Switch 2 with better specs for 4K TVs.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Bout damn time and first reply nails the energy I want to see.

Huff dat copium when it hits one of the greatest ages of gaming will begin. I'm only here for the DLSS machine, nothing more.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo gonna throw a curveball and release the Wii U again as the Switch 2

rofu

Banned
Feb 14, 2023
less because of more rt cores and more because of more shader cores in general. tracing the ray is one part, and actually one of the faster parts. what to do with that data is all done on the shader cores. RT performance scales with shader cores more directly than it does with RT cores

The theory I recall was that there was shader independent "RT processing" to be done and we "just weren't quite there yet" since it was just new GPUs in which manufacturer "did not invest 'enough' into RT cores". Per that theory, RT would be less and less of a hit, as switching RT on would not bother normal shaders much, and instead utilize "hardware RT".

Apparenty that never materialized.

Could you elaborate the "power consumption" remark that AMD is "paying with" for not sticking with single structure type + "HW traversal"?

Why do you think Intel went NV and not AMD way in terms of Ray Traversal being hardcoded&hardware? Here they explain the advantages of flexible structures and propose how to do it (basically the way AMD does it, as far as I read):
www.intel.com

Flexible Ray Traversal with an Extended Programming Model

In this paper, we propose an extended programming model for ray tracing which includes an additional programmable stage called the traversal shader th

1. Here's the Nvidia Leak from 2022

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Let's start this shit off right!!!

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

NINTENDO. GET YOUR ASS IN GEAR AND RELEASE A NEW CONSOLE! AT ONCE!

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
About the poll, yeah sure, Switch is 7th years old, sales are slowing down, as is software if we trust rumors, there's movement behind the curtain.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
From what Grubb said, Id lean toward a smaller die X1 with 15% higher clocks. Maybe you pump up the ram to 8gb and throw in an SSD. Couple that with a more comfortably designed form factor and you have a much more attractive upgrade than last year's OLED (also it should have an oled :p).

echasketchers

Jul 15, 2021
United States
I'm glad the rumors are finally picking up steam! I'll be happy as long as it's BC and has fast loading/SSD storage personally. playing BOTW with short load times in and out of shrines would make replays a lot more pleasant.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
That's what I'm talking about.
Here's to whatever the hell comes next.
My uncle says it's Switch 1.2 Final Remix
Fire name

I heard the new hardware is a portable Nintendo Switch dock that you fit your Switch into so you can take it on the go.
Big if true

Thank you!
Let's start this shit off right!!!

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

NINTENDO. GET YOUR ASS IN GEAR AND RELEASE A NEW CONSOLE! AT ONCE!
giphy.gif

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Aaaaaand followed, glad we have a new place to generally discuss the Switch 2.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
The Nintendo Sw@tch

Also I don't trust people that have lost their hair over Metroid bets on Nintendo rumors

Neverx

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Sep 17, 2020
Florida
Seems like according to what Grubb said today it'll be more of an iterative upgrade like apple does with the IPhone within the same Switch ecosystem as they eventually wane off of the OG Switch in the coming years. I'm so tired of the Switch 2/Pro leaks but it does feel like we are closing in on an announcement at least within the next 12 months.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Well done thread, but if every Switch Pro/2 thread starts getting shut down by the mods under the auspices of "take it to the OT" it's going to be counter-productive. People use these forums as a news source, and new Nintendo hardware is a major news story.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Well done thread, but if every Switch Pro/2 thread starts getting shut down by the mods under the auspices of "take it to the OT" it's going to be counter-productive. People use these forums as a news source, and new Nintendo hardware is a major news story.

I dunno, do weekly unverified rumors saying, "there may or may not be a new Switch coming out in the next 2 years" constitute as news?

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Seems like according to what Grubb said today it'll be more of an iterative upgrade like apple does with the IPhone within the same Switch ecosystem as they eventually wane off of the OG Switch in the coming years. I'm so tired of the Switch 2/Pro leaks but it does feel like we are closing in on an announcement at least within the next 12 months.
So yeah, a Switch 2. A direct successor that builds on what came before without cutting off the previous library. That said, I'd be surprised if we don't get any exclusives. This is especially true for the one-per-system games like Smash, Animal Crossing, & Mario Kart.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Nice OP

The grubb clip isn't really new news, but definately if there's concrete details it can and should be its own thread.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be fine with a pro-like Switch coming out this year or next year as long as it at least passively guarantied more stable FPS and 1080p or higher resolution Nintendo games

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'd be fine with a pro-like Switch coming out this year or next year as long as it at least passively guarantied more stable FPS and 1080p or higher resolution Nintendo games
That would complicate things in terms of the franchises that usually only get one entry per system. Do we go 6+ years without a new Animal Crossing or Smash game?

Neverx

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Sep 17, 2020
Florida
So yeah, a Switch 2. A direct successor that builds on what came before without cutting off the previous library. That said, I'd be surprised if we don't get any exclusives. This is especially true for the one-per-system games like Smash, Animal Crossing, & Mario Kart.
Oh yeah 100%, it just seems like they don't want to dip out of the Switch ecosystem and do a full reset. We will for sure see a new Animal Crossing (I suspect they cut support early on ACNH because of the next game), 3D Mario and Mario Kart.

I'm actually cool with just having a much more powerful switch that stays within the own family of systems, that said I really hope we get an updated OS or something lol.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Next gen switch is further away than we thought according to grubb, current gen switch actually is a 10 year console

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah 100%, it just seems like they don't want to dip out of the Switch ecosystem and do a full reset. We will for sure see a new Animal Crossing (I suspect they cut support early on ACNH because of the next game), 3D Mario and Mario Kart.

I'm actually cool with just having a much more powerful switch that stays within the own family of systems, that said I really hope we get an updated OS or something lol.
Yeah, but I don't know why he's implying that they would have to otherwise it's not a successor. It's a nonsense idea

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm going to keep an eye out on this thread, as I'm genuinely curious to see if we will get a Super Duper Switch: Part Deluxe.

I still love my launch Switch unit, and put into over thousands of hours of gameplay and have a sizeable collection of games for the console. But I could see it struggle with several games, such as how Xenoblade Chronicles 3, which will crash on occasion during the games more hectic moments.

That would complicate things in terms of the franchises that usually only get one entry per system. Do we go 6+ years without a new Animal Crossing or Smash game?

That's a reasonably good question. Will Nintendo skip Mario Kart 9 again to continue development with MK8 Deluxe, for example?

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

I'm pretty sure ACNH support ended because of Splatoon 3.

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for adding the Nvidia summary, that always comes in handy to reference when discussing.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My favourite part of a run up to a new consoles are fake leaks/renders that get analysed the hell and back. Can't wait!

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The NVN2 files date back to 2019 and as recent as early 2022 (when the breach happened).
This information about the Tegra 239 SoC in the Linux kernel was in Sept 2022:

Adding support for Tegra239 SoC which has eight cores in a single cluster.

The T239 commits in various pieces of Nvidia Linux code indicate the chip may exist in a physical form, possibly as engineering samples. From Dakhil

20 April 2022 → Github via FamiBoards: Nvidia defining the SDHCI controller and the platforms for T239, as well as populating specific SoC data for T239 for SDMMC, and revising the tuning correction algorithm for T239 to fix the window merge issue and to avoid having the tuning correction algorithm run on software, implies that Nvidia's testing actual hardware with T239.

TX1 - first available May 2015, engineering samples available (according to Nintendo Gigaleak)
Switch launch - March 2017 (delayed out from late 2016)

Applying a similar timeframe to Orin availability (Drake is an Orin variant) and Switch '2':

Possible timeline:
Orin announced March 2018
Nvidia demo'd DLSS to Nintendo in 2019
Orin sample kit in 2021
Orin devkits first available March 2022 (source)
Switch '2' possible launch - Between Oct '23 and March '24

It's an imperfect comparison - TX1 was "off-the-shelf", Drake is customized, launch software availability, COVID, component shortages, etc. Engineering samples and development timelines don't guarantee a launch timeframe, but if all we can do is guess, then this is what I'm using.

I'm inclined to believe in something late this year, first half next year, if they planned around these shortages and secured parts in advance and/or are reusing existing Switch parts.

I don't think they can 'sit' on hardware as easily as they can with software, so I'm not convinced by a 2025 date. But who knows.

There was a T239 related commit earlier this year, I'd have to find it.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
I may be wrong, but I feel a summer reveal in my guts. It's the reason why Nintendo isn't going to E3; they want to reveal the system and do it on their terms to control the message and E3 ain't it.

Oct 28, 2017
"This is the gen that doesn't end,
Its just goes on and on my friend.
Some gamers started playing it not knowing what is was
And they'll continue playing it not matter just because."

(Repeat)