• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best gym leader

• #TeamBea - Sword Exclusive

• #TeamAllister - Shield Exclusive

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Tail whip always has had bad animations, from Stadium to Revolution to now. Still, I kinda expect better if improved animations are the excuse they are using for the exclusion of pokemon.
it's not that they get joy from the cuts, it's that they've gone completely nutso bananas overboard in defending gamefreak at all costs.
That's even worst, and more depressing.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Tail whip always has had bad animations, from Stadium to Revolution to now. Still, I kinda expect better if improved animations are the excuse they are using for the exclusion of pokemon.

That's even worst, and more depressing.

Stadium's Tail Whip animation is just the regular special attack animation. I don't know how that game was even released on that sorry state.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Well honestly I don't see how tail whip could be improved, making each pokémon shake his tail differently would be ridiculous, even with the Dexit

Tbh it'd be interesting to see how they would handle Rhyhorn's Tail Whip animation lol

That's exactly what it is.

ToSl3GS.gif

The only "problem" I see is that it looks like it's whipping its head instead of the tail. As if the axis point they're taking to do the movement is in the middle, instead of in the head.

I'm one of those that are super bummed about Pokémon being cut, no matter if they're 300, 100, 20, or 5. So even if the animations were accurate and they made a unique animation for every move for every Pokémon available, that still wouldn't fix my disappointment for not having the whole Pokédex in one game, so at this point nothing can't make me more upset than what I already was since the past trailer.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
On the one hand gigantimax forms are pretty cool but also it seems like a waste of effort when I know they'll just be gone next gen.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do not understand what you see so unbalanced of that Stealth Rock of gigantamax. You will dedicate your only dynamax to a movement that a lot of Pokémon can count on with a simple rapid spin.

And then your opponent has a dynamax that he can use at will against you.

Honestly speaking I don't get the conversation myself.

A attacking Stealth Rock moves is not going to be a problem in the least.

Gen 8 Meta game will be which player can better handle the other players Dynamax/Gigantamax Pokémon.

If a player can find a way to stall the 3 turns for Dynamax and/or however many turns Gigantamax is without sacrificing his/her own Dynamax/Gigantamax Pokémon is going to win regardless of Stealth Rocks.

We've already seen there's going to be moves that will clear Stealth Rocks away. It just depends how the player handles the opposing Dynamax/Gigantamax Pokémon.

What's exciting about gen 8's Mets is that it's going to make players think a lot more than past generations gimmick mechanics. For the Meta at least.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
The Gen 8 metagame is going to be fun because battle simulators will have more functionality than the actual games. I can see there being "alternative" tiers that encompass all of the removed Pokemon and features.

traillaitor

Jun 10, 2018
Tail Whip-gate is embarrassing, man.

Hyped for this game. Hope there are still plenty of evolutions despite gigantamax.

Was originally getting Sword because of the better looking legendary, but Allister and Larvitar changed my mind. Excited to see if Sirfetchd is real!

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
The Gen 8 metagame is going to be fun because battle simulators will have more functionality than the actual games. I can see there being "alternative" tiers that encompass all of the removed Pokemon and features.
Would that even work considering that the cut Pokemon won't have access to new moves from Gen 8? They also wont have access to Gen 8's inevitable move tutors, which you'd think would put them at a pretty big disadvantage compared to the old Pokemon in the Galar dex.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
It appears for a split second in the trailer.

newpokemon2.jpg
Thanks for posting this, I missed it before.

My fairy/water teapot idea is coming to fruition
I hope it's both an elephant and a giraffe.

But, being serious, I keep thinking that what we're seeing is the tail/back of the Pokémon, because of the legs, they look like inverted to me, like we're seeing its heels.
looks more like the nails on the front of its feet like elephants have to me.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
The attack moving Yamper's body instead of his tail realistically is due to the fact that yamper's tail is small and comparatively unnoticeable, thus hurting its ability to communicate what it's doing. So the simpler animation is ultimately more useful in conveying the intent of the move.

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
Thought about it earlier, with how Game Freak likes to place advantageous Pokemon around the Gyms (to reward exploration/help people struggling) I'm guessing that Impidimp will be found around the Fighting/Ghost Gym location. Fairy/Dark is a new type combo and one of the few that can actually handle both Fighting and Ghost (the "Boltbeam" of Gen 7), so they wouldn't need to change it between the two games.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly speaking I don't get the conversation myself.

A attacking Stealth Rock moves is not going to be a problem in the least.

Gen 8 Meta game will be which player can better handle the other players Dynamax/Gigantamax Pokémon.

If a player can find a way to stall the 3 turns for Dynamax and/or however many turns Gigantamax is without sacrificing his/her own Dynamax/Gigantamax Pokémon is going to win regardless of Stealth Rocks.

We've already seen there's going to be moves that will clear Stealth Rocks away. It just depends how the player handles the opposing Dynamax/Gigantamax Pokémon.

What's exciting about gen 8's Mets is that it's going to make players think a lot more than past generations gimmick mechanics. For the Meta at least.
So far Dynamax is just looking to be a 1.5x HP boost and moves gaining secondary effects, so that might not be the case.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Do we know how Protect works with dynamax yet? Does dynamax pierce it? What about substitute? Flinch?

I hope the meta doesn't devolve into Dyna baiting and protect/substitute for every battle.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know how Protect works with dynamax yet? Does dynamax pierce it? What about substitute? Flinch?

I hope the meta doesn't devolve into Dyna baiting and protect/substitute for every battle.

I believe it destroys Protect. I'm not 100% sure but in one of the Dynamax trailers June 5th Direct or the Tree House I think it was casually mentioned that only Dynamax Pokémon can Protect against a Dynamax Attack. Base Dynamax Attacks changes the whether and Terrain based of off the element of the attack. There's no way a base Pokémon can protect against those attacks when base level. Mega Pokémon or base Pokémon couldn't even protect against Z-Moves. Just speculation for now. If I find any official evidence to support I'll tag you and tell you where it is.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I believe it destroys Protect. I'm not 100% sure but in one of the Dynamax trailers June 5th Direct or the Tree House I think it was casually mentioned that only Dynamax Pokémon can Protect against a Dynamax Attack. Base Dynamax Attacks changes the whether and Terrain based of off the element of the attack. There's no way a base Pokémon can protect against those attacks when base level. Mega Pokémon or base Pokémon couldn't even protect against Z-Moves. Just speculation for now. If I find any official evidence to support I'll tag you and tell you where it is.

Oh, cool! Thanks!

I'm curious to see who will rise up to top tier just for the fact they can manage Dynamax'd pokés. Chansey/Blissey will surely be hugely popular (like always)

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Would that even work considering that the cut Pokemon won't have access to new moves from Gen 8? They also wont have access to Gen 8's inevitable move tutors, which you'd think would put them at a pretty big disadvantage compared to the old Pokemon in the Galar dex.
Movepool updates are the biggest way Pokemon lose out from Dexit, bar none.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
lol damn so we can't enjoy things even if they won't last?
You can, some can't. No one is telling you that you can;t enjoy something even if it ends up being limited to a single gen

Some of us feel like it's pointless to get attached to mechanics or Pokemon if there's a chance we'll won;t be able to use them again for a long time (potentially over a decade), or possibly never use them again once the gen is over.

LincolnTunnel

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I feel like this thread really needs to refocus on the important stuff from this trailer, which of course is "What the hell is Duraludon supposed to be based off of?"

I'm not talking about the whole Mecha Godzilla thing (even though the guy looks more like a Moguera expy to me), but it's overall design. It's been discussed a few times so far, but we're on page 50-somthing and there's still nothing that seem to match it.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Mixing up the competitive metagame is something Pokemon could do with more of, not less. Unless people truly want to run the same shit each VGC.
Its barely accessible as it is without a long process.
They're constantly changing up the competitive rulesets, including which Pokémon are allowed. Cutting Pokémon only limits the possibilities for what they can do with competitive.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
They're constantly changing up the competitive rulesets, including which Pokémon are allowed. Cutting Pokémon only limits the possibilities for what they can do with competitive.

We're talking about Dynamax vs previous gimmicks specifically. Not liking a regions extraneous battle gimmick just because it might not be a thing in the next generation of games just seems like a self fulfilling prophecy of never enjoying anything.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If people are upset or worried about how Dynamax and other mechanics will be gone next gen then let them be, you don't have to be all "aRe yOU saYInG we cANT enJoy tHEM????"

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I like about the new animations is that the effects actually look like the ones in the official illustrations.
The attack moving Yamper's body instead of his tail realistically is due to the fact that yamper's tail is small and comparatively unnoticeable, thus hurting its ability to communicate what it's doing. So the simpler animation is ultimately more useful in conveying the intent of the move.

NeuroCloud

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Is anyone excited about gym leaders? We'll beat them all in 3 minutes on the first attempt then we'll never play them again.

Competitive battling and collecting them all are the only truly great elements of this franchise, so I don't understand the focus on fleeting story mode experiences.

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone excited about gym leaders? We'll beat them all in 3 minutes on the first attempt then we'll never play them again.

Competitive battling and collecting them all are the only truly great elements of this franchise, so I don't understand the focus on fleeting story mode experiences.
Is this sarcasm? A lot of us enjoy the single mode and don't care about competitive.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

I don't care about competitive and I'd rather have a huge story mode than a huge online competitive mode.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I love playing on the competitive scene and I enjoy talking about it just as much. I also enjoy breeding Shiny Pokémon for future story play throughs where after the journey I completely raise those competitive Shiny Pokémon to level 100 where I'll use them against other players.

I'm on my 11th Story play through of the Alola games because I have a bunch of Shiny Pokémon that may not be in the Galar Pokémon Dex.

Is what it is.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Pokemon Masters exist for a reason

Status
Not open for further replies.