john385

Oct 26, 2017
I'm assuming they mean some older 4K tvs that could only do 4k/30 maybe?

At the moment, the PS5 only supports the HDMI 2.1 VRR which I think won't work with 1440p? They would need to implement freesync for that.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Apologies if it was already answered, but what's the reason PS5 doesn't support 1440p with full VRR, ie. the same way Xbox Series X does?
Is the hardware? Software? …what?
Because I love the way my XSX works with my 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor.
(Will get a PS5 hopefully this Fall…)

I believe they need some type of freesync support for HDMI. It's Sony who would need to implement this feature. Why they specify 1440p as not working VRR, I'm not really sure. For example my current monitor doesn't support VRR at any resolution, but if PS5 had freesync support, VRR would work at any resolution.

But if I had to guess, it's probably something they are working on, but I also wouldn't expect it so soon. It took them many months to get HDMI 2.1 VRR on PS5. So we likely need to wait for a while.
[/QUOTE]

🤔

Is Freesync (Premium Pro?) something that can be added via firmware update?
Assuming Sony wants to/cares about it?
AFAIK, it doesn't require a separate hw module like G-SYNC Ultimate so it *should* be doable or…?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The folders thing is such a letdown. We should be able to pin folders to the front page. Otherwise who cares? If I have to scroll all the way over to my library to get at my collection I feel like that isn't very useful overall.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
The folders being only stuff from your library all the way at the very end like the Switch is super duper Uber ultra Mega Hyper Edition dumb. Like why do that? Even if it's ugly like the way PS4 does folders, at least it's right in front of you at the beginning instead of hidden away. How do these people get paid big money to implement such a dumb feature???????????????

Man, what is the UI/UX design team thinking with this stuff, haha.

Unless they think having folders on the main menu is ugly or something.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Man, what is the UI/UX design team thinking with this stuff, haha.

Unless they think having folders on the main menu is ugly or something.

The folders thing is such a letdown. We should be able to pin folders to the front page. Otherwise who cares? If I have to scroll all the way over to my library to get at my collection I feel like that isn't very useful overall.
It is not useful at all. You're pretty much already right there at your "installed" section, and you likely won't have that many games installed on your SSD at least, so further organizing at that screen has minimal impact.

They really need folder icons on the home screen. If they really insist on keeping the home screen a huge waste of space with a games splash screen, they could make the folder icon transparent so you could see the icon/page for whatever the "default" item in the folder is.

Crunchewy

Oct 30, 2017
It seems you can't create lists/folders in the home menu, only under "your collection " in game library. Shame, since it won't be anything I will use in that case

I think it's still useful as I can set up folders of stuff I mainly play and when those games are off the front page I can easily find them in the collection. That's nice. BUT the most ridiculous shortcoming of this is there is no way to sort the games in them and it's not even possible to manually move them around except by removing things and re-adding them again in the order you want. That's ludicrous. Hopefully they fix that in the next update....

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
This whole folder thing, it's so weird from a UX design.

It's 5 actions to get to it from bootup.

- You boot to main menu.
- You have to move curser all way to the right and select Game library.
- 1st click, them you are on the first tile on Installed section.
- Move curser up to top ribbon
- Move curser to right to get to Collection.
- Then move down to gamelists.

Plus you can't even sort the games within the game lists. What the hell.

Like, on boot, the Gamelists should be on the Home screen, 1st tile (let user choose), are at least lock the Gamelist tile like you can a game tile, so it doesn't leave the home screen.

There is so much open space on the home screen they can work with.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
It is not useful at all. You're pretty much already right there at your "installed" section, and you likely won't have that many games installed on your SSD at least, so further organizing at that screen has minimal impact.

They really need folder icons on the home screen. If they really insist on keeping the home screen a huge waste of space with a games splash screen, they could make the folder icon transparent so you could see the icon/page for whatever the "default" item in the folder is.

Some of us have purchased M.2 SSDs and also have external drives for PS4 games so I don't agree that it's not useful. However there needs to be a quick shortcut to the library. At the least just let you decide where you want the library pinned because I'd rather have it on the left next to the PS Store.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
This whole folder thing, it's so weird from a UX design.

It's 5 actions to get to it from bootup.

- You boot to main menu.
- You have to move curser all way to the right and select Game library.
- 1st click, them you are on the first tile on Installed section.
- Move curser up to top ribbon
- Move curser to right to get to Collection.
- Then move down to gamelists.

Plus you can't even sort the games within the game lists. What the hell.

Like, on boot, the Gamelists should be on the Home screen, 1st tile (let user choose), are at least lock the Gamelist tile like you can a game tile, so it doesn't leave the home screen.

There is so much open space on the home screen they can work with.
Welcome to PS5 OS hell... every single action requires multiple buttons. They are trying all of them to make the OS a shitshow and as different from the PS4 OS just for the sake of it.
Have you ever tried to go in the media gallery and simply want to see only the screenshots or video?

On PS5:

20220729165506.png

Want to see video only?

- enter the sorting menu (X)
- select media type (down + X)
- select "video" (down + X)
- go back to the gallery (press the circle button two times)

Changed your mind and want to see screens only?

- deselect "video" (down + X) and select "screenshots" (up + X)

Want to reset the filters?

- enter the sorting menu
- press the very useful "Reset Filters" (that is only there for removing the screen and video filters, that's it)

p.s. you can even select both "video" and "screenshots" and nothing will change compared to base setting, of course. All of this is really necessary considering there is a lot of space on the left to just put more icons. Great UI!

On PS4:

Capture-Gallery-List-PS4.webp

- literally three options on the left side to see both screen and video or only the screens or video, that's it.

As I said, they could have just used this exact UI on PS5 and put the circled symbols with "all", "screens" and "video" but nope, let's make the most complicated and useless menu ever.

And this is just one example of PS5 OS redundancy and absolute insanity of both UI and UX, it really blows my mind.

Last edited:

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
I need to ask that important thing again: does it allow to check for updates on intalled games in your library, or is it still limited to recent games on the dashboard?

nicoreese

Jan 18, 2018
I need to ask that important thing again: does it allow to check for updates on intalled games in your library, or is it still limited to recent games on the dashboard?

Still only on the Home Screen.

Regarding the Game Lists, they certainly don't do things just because. There's probably analytics data that shows that people only keep X games installed and that most users do not need folders for their installed games but for their library instead. And this is what they've built.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to PS5 OS hell... every single action requires multiple buttons. They are trying all of them to make the OS a shitshow and as different from the PS4 OS just for the sake of it.
Have you ever tried to go in the media gallery and simply want to see only the screenshots or video?

On PS5:

20220729165506.png

Want to see video only?

- enter the sorting menu
- press the very useful "Reset Filters" (that is only there for removing the screen and video filters, that's it)

p.s. you can even select both "video" and "screenshots" and nothing will change compared to base setting, of course. All of this is really necessary considering there is a lot of space on the left to just put more icons. Great UI!

On PS4:

ps4-update-450-sharefactory.png

- literally three options on the left side to see both screen and video or only the screens or video, that's it.

As I said, they could have just used this exact UI on PS5 and put the circled symbols with "all", "screens" and "video" but nope, let's make the most complicated and useless menu ever.

And this is just one example of PS5 OS redundancy and absolute insanity of both UI and UX, it really blows my mind.
You nailed it. On PS5 I now rarely take any screenshots because of how complicated it is to browse them.

mhayze

Nov 18, 2017
On windows AMD gpus can do a very high quality down sample almost for free (i.e. no slowdown) that looks sharper than native because more samples have been taken per pixel (almost like AA). I hope the PS5 versions Navi GPU does the same.

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
Is this new to the beta? Never noticed it before If it's an old feature lol.

44XAM0k.jpg

OP
OP
arsene_P5

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
So we got VRR, ALLM, PS1,PSP BC and now 1440p and folders. What is left?

Edit I forgot certain vocie commands for NA, hopefully they expand the voice commands and support more regions and languages.
  • Discord implementation for voice and possibly more.
  • Ability to check for updates for games not listed in home.
  • Gamelists visible in home
  • As you said voice commands for more countries.
  • Better VRR implementation.
  • Freesync Premium
  • Themes
  • They want to reward people with 3d objects/models in the PS starfield program (no that's not actually the name. I'm drunk 🥴). So I'd imagine displaying a 360 like Avatar would be on the board for the home screen
  • PS4 social features like communities and the I dunno what the hell it was called social feed.
  • Quick Resume
  • Mandatory activities cards like every game needing to offer the option to load the last save.
  • Dolby Vision
  • Dolby Atmos. Tempest sounds great, but options are always welcome.
  • Tempest improvements.
  • Animated profile pics, because... why not. It's 2022 and discord has them for ages.
  • Giving feedback app. I more or less know where to give feedback for Xbox online, but I honestly don't know if there is even one page, community, what have you for PS.
  • PS3 backwards compatibility
  • Readable PS2 discs. As I recall PS5 can't read CD-ROM. But some PS2 games were on the good old DVD.
  • Shockingly good and smart delivery for PS5/PS6 games. For PS4-5 the train has left the station. But for PS6 they should have a system in place.
  • More pictures in picture options. Xbox One could do YouTube, Twitch and such before the feature got removed altogether. Unless I missed something PS5 doesn't do YT, Twitch, ... in pip (yet).
  • Download games you don't own. Great feature to take advantage of when you buy a disc on Xbox and want to just plug and play once the disc arrives at the doorsteps.
Oh well. I'm done for the moment.

Yes and discord chattinng and why not launching games from the app when joining friends playing certain games. PlayStation allwoed linking to discord recently but I was surprised it did not go beyond that. Xbox is having discord voice chating included recently.
Xbox started with same feature than PS back in 2018. Fingers crossed Sony will be faster. To be fair Discord didn't develop the implementation for years, but still the decision to do voice seems to have taken a while. As I recall discord and Xbox started end of last year. Take that with a grain of salt though.

Could be. but QR has other advantages than just load the game quickly.

When I played Forza Motorsport. There was a race that took an hour to complete (23 laps total), It was ridiculous.
But I was played on XSX. so I had a chance to use QR feature.
Every 5 laps I take a break in the middle of the race.
Jump to other games via QR. come back to Forza later and complete the race.

It was very useful. I wouldn't have even tried that race without that feature.

That's why Quick Resume is game changer feature for me.
Activity Cards also awesome but it's not the same thing.
Exactly. The feature may be similar in the idea behind them, but the implementation and their distinct use cases and advantages are different.

Last edited:

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
  • Freesync Premium
  • Themes
  • They want to reward people with 3d objects/models in the PS starfield program (no that's not actually the name. I'm drunk 🥴). So I'd imagine displaying a 360 like Avatar would be on the board for the home screen
  • PS4 social features like communities and the I dunno what the hell it was called social feed.
  • Quick Resume
  • Mandatory activities cards like every game needing to offer the option to load the last save.
  • Dolby Vision
  • Tempest improvements.
  • Animated profile pics, because... why not. It's 2022 and discord has them for ages.
  • Giving feedback app. I more or less know where to give feedback for Xbox online, but I honestly don't know if there is even one page, community, what have you for PS.
  • Readable PS2 discs. As I recall PS5 can't read CD-ROM. But some PS2 games were on the good old DVD.
  • Shockingly good and smart delivery for PS5/PS6 games. For PS4-5 the train has left the station. But for PS6 they should have a system in place.
  • More pictures in picture options. Xbox One could do YouTube, Twitch and such before the feature got removed altogether. Unless I missed something PS5 doesn't do YT, Twitch, ... in pip (yet).
  • Download games you don't own. Great feature to take advantage of when you buy a disc on Xbox and want to just plug and play once the disc arrives at the doorsteps.

Xbox started with same feature than PS back in 2018. Fingers crossed Sony will be faster. To be fair Discord didn't develop the implementation for years, but still the decision to do voice seems to have taken a while. As I recall discord and Xbox started end of last year. Take that with a grain of salt though.

Exactly. The feature may be similar in the idea behind them, but the implementation and their distinct use cases and advantages are different.

Wow. That is a long list. I did not imagine the PS5 lacking that much.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
  • Freesync Premium
  • Themes
  • Quick Resume
  • Dolby Vision
  • Tempest improvements.

Plz I'm dying for themes and folders. Give me the reset era ps4 theme on ps5 plz

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Just to remind that we are in 2022 and PSN still doesn't have gifting.

(I'm Ok with PS5 not having themes. It always annoyed me that PS4 themes were for the homepage only. When you entered any menu, the theme reverted to that default blue. Apart from that, having images of each game that cover the entire screen are much more interesting)

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I signed up for this on the PS website 2 days ago (NA) but have not received anything yet. I really hope I'm invited because I'm dying to get my games organized into these lists. With PS4/5 I have around 600 games so even these lists would help!

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017

On PS5:

20220729165506.png

Want to see video only?

- enter the sorting menu

On PS4:

ps4-update-450-sharefactory.png

What's also bad is when you switch between files, it always defaults to showing an overlay so there's like a 1 sec lag to show the full screenshot/video.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
What's also bad is when you switch between files, it always defaults to showing an overlay so there's like a 1 sec lag to show the full screenshot/video.
Yep, and you remove the overlay with circle, the same button that let you exit the screen/video.
If you go a bit late, and press circle when the ugly overlay is disappearing you just close the screen/video!
If you enter a screen or video and want to exit? Double press of circle, once for removing overlay and once for going out.

[and as you said, the overlay even remains on screen with every cycle and the only way to not see it is by holding circle while pressing L1 and R1 (an "hack" basically)]

Surprise: on PS4 you didn't get any big overlay, you just looked at the screen and if you wanted more info you could shows up the overlay with triangle while you exit the gallery with circle (two different buttons, no confusion or overlapping).
When cycling the screenshots you only got a simple and tiny screen counter in bottom left corner that disappear after a couple of seconds, that's it.

See? It fu**ing works, don't change stuff that works!

Another ugly thing is that the super faster PS5 with it's incredible SSD is slower then a PS4 at cycling between screens since you get a black screen between screens, while on PS4 you instantly swap between screenshots.

It's a never ending downgrade.

ezekiel

Banned
Jul 6, 2022
They need to work on social features next. Getting rid of commuinites and the activity feed was so dumb.

OP
OP
arsene_P5

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Just to remind that we are in 2022 and PSN still doesn't have gifting.

(I'm Ok with PS5 not having themes. It always annoyed me that PS4 themes were for the homepage only. When you entered any menu, the theme reverted to that default blue. Apart from that, having images of each game that cover the entire screen are much more interesting)
Good shout.
Now please add the ability to back up save files via USB...
That or even better free cloud saves.

Super Craig

Oct 27, 2017
Can't imagine anyone adding importing/exporting of saves via USB at this point. It's a big opening for hacks.

Tesla

Feb 8, 2019
I am wondering what is best when resolution is set to 1440p : a native 4K game or a native 1440p game? What are the pros and cons of each? 4K with super sampling for 1440p monitor should give a better image if I understand. 🤔

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Can't imagine anyone adding importing/exporting of saves via USB at this point. It's a big opening for hacks.
Then you give free cloud, you can't taking hostage of my saves behind Plus.
I share Plus with my brother and cloud saves is the only thing I can't use and I won't do another Plus for that alone.

All major PC stores offer it for free by ages, same with Microsoft, it's pathetic having this behind paywall in 2022, especially if you don't give any alternative!

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I am wondering what is best when resolution is set to 1440p : a native 4K game or a native 1440p game? What are the pros and cons of each? 4K with super sampling for 1440p monitor should give a better image if I understand. 🤔
I play with PS5 on a 1080p Plasma, downsampling is totally fine, you get a cleaner image.

In any case isn't something you have to bother since you don't have control on it and developers won't care.
As I said, it's not like using static resolutions is a big thing nowadays, it's all about dynamic and reconstructed resolutions, or "best" case scenario native 4K.

Just use the output that match the monitor/TV resolution and play :)

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017

4k supersampling on a 1440p screen is better than native 1440p. 4k native on a 4k screen is better than 4k supersampling on a 1440p screen though (if size/distance ratio is "normal")