• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
00001669_21.jpg
Have people seen the Disney Tsum Tsum Switch releasing October 10th?

Link

Do I want to wait an extra month to import this and not get the ugly grey joycons... Hmmmm
I just noticed the Mickey Mouse Joycons. Hot damn, they went all out

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You can always just use a bigger tablet or mobile monitor and connect that to the normal switch in table mode.
With the focus on games, I don't see a need for an phablet switch version, since I believe table mode is the most compromise mode.

Btw: Is there any release date for the new version more specific than end of august?
I'm not going to carry a separate monitor with me in addition to my switch lol what a messy set up that would be compared to a single 9 inch - 10 inch switch tablet in table top mode

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Nvidia Shield news:

In the Android TV world, the Nvidia Shield TV is still by far the best option available. However, the aging hardware is due for an upgrade. Today, an FCC listing for an updated Nvidia Shield TV has been revealed, hinting that a release could be around the corner.

The FCC filing which is clearly labeled as "NVIDIA Corporation SHIELD Android TV Game Console P3430″ gives us a strong hint that Nvidia's work on a third-generation Android TV is well underway. No images of the hardware are revealed in this listing, but there's additional confirmation of an updated chipset under the hood.

The Nvidia-made Tegra processor under the hood is listed as the "Tegra X1 T210 B01," differing from the "Tegra X1 A2" which is used in the 2017 Nvidia Shield TV (via CordCuttersNews). It's unclear what other changes could be made to the specification list, but an updated processor is certainly a welcome update.

In past leaks, it was shown that this new Nvidia Shield TV, codenamed "mdarcy" is probably going to be a minor update. Android Pie would ship with the new hardware out of the box, and updated peripherals might also be included. Given the complaints surrounding the remote on the second-generation Shield, updates in that department would certainly be welcome.

It's unclear when Nvidia might officially reveal a new Shield TV, but the 2017 reveal arrived at CES in January. Perhaps the same pattern will follow for a 2020 revision. Notably, the confidential details of the FCC listing are to be kept for 180 days, so it seems possible that the official announcement is still a ways out.

Oct 25, 2017
5.5 is still such a wild increase for BOTW.
While it's not what I wanted, I still kind of want to upgrade later this year.
Guess I can justify $300 if the joy con are built better but I kind of wanted the lite for portable play. Maybe whichever gets a Zelda release

Chinner

Oct 25, 2017
It passes that mark where it starts to have an acceptable amount of battery life and you could take it out on trips without worry. 3 hours always felt constrained, like it was a portable device for household use which you could take outside but you had the lingering thought you would to have to look for a charging point or take a portable battery with you. 5 hours is just stupidly impressive. And that's just for BOTW too.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I was going to skip this... but after playing Dragon Quest Builders 2 on a plane and seeing my battery get devastated, I'm going to probably just spring for this as a quality of life thing. I take too many plane trips at this point.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, the new switch is "confirmed" in the firmware to be the t214.

And unless I'm misremembering T214 was found in the firmware to be the exact same thing as T210 B01, right? Something along the lines of a comment saying "change all instances of T214 to T210 B01"?

No, New regular Switch, the one this thread's about.
Switch lite is also near 3DS range adding 30 minutes-1 hour on average over the original Switch battery life

The New Switch is 4.5-9 hours, you said 4.5-7 above.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
And unless I'm misremembering T214 was found in the firmware to be the exact same thing as T210 B01, right? Something along the lines of a comment saying "change all instances of T214 to T210 B01"?

The New Switch is 4.5-9 hours, you said 4.5-7 above.
I guess we'll find out when somebody does a teardown.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm ready for someone to get one these to see if it has the same clocks so I can decide if I want it or not

Waxwing

Jan 25, 2018
I think I'll probably jump on this with Fire Emblem out and AI Somnium Files coming shortly. I considered the lite, but if the joycon issue isn't solved and the lite uses the same design, there's no easy recourse when they fix the design. Plus, my first kid is on the way, and someday, they'll probably appreciate my decision :P

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Gonna make the wait for the new model harder, but I won't give in to this bait. I will wait for the updated chipset and give it about another 6 months/a year. If we don't have a new upgraded/"pro" model by then I'll get this one. Right now I don't usually use the whole battery when I play because I'm always playing at work or home or have my charger with me. So we'll see.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
Is there any way to preorder this? I wonder if it'll get snatched up quickly, or whether the silent launch will make it readily available.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
FE is burning through my OG Switch battery at record pace. I'm tempted to jump on this new Switch now.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
a couple of the gamestops i called around said they arent taking pre orders for the new model. so you'll just be better off calling around each day when when get close to "mid August"

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Hope Nintendo is not cranking up the clocks so people want the more energy efficient model...
I don't think that that's why they'd crank up the clocks.

I think they'd allow games to request and use higher clocks while undocked if the game needs it - battery life be damned.

This is actually a thing that I've hoped for. I think allowing this allows all Switches to become 'Pro' midway through the cycle.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Hope Nintendo is not cranking up the clocks so people want the more energy efficient model...

I kinda hope they do crank up the clocks, or at least allow devs to use higher clocks than what we previously knew of. That would actually make the new one the kind of upgrade people were hoping for, even if they do this for the OG Switch too.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I feel like its chewing through battery faster than almost every other switch game.
Yeah, I'm super baffled as to why Fire Emblem chews through my battery almost as quickly as playing Splatoon 2 online does. Doesn't seem like it should be that demanding - the environments aren't that detailed, there are still loading times between areas, and there's rarely significant action on screen.

Bend

Oct 27, 2017
not just that, it barely lets it keep an equilibrium when charging. like when the game is running, even when it's on power supply, the switch is BARELY JUST charging.

Yeah, I was playing fire emblem handheld this weekend and noticed the battery draining extra quick, felt like I only got an hour and a half or so from a full charge. Kept playing with it plugged into my Google pixel charger and it struggled to gain any additional charge, but floated at about the percent I plugged it in at.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Yeah, I'm super baffled as to why Fire Emblem chews through my battery almost as quickly as playing Splatoon 2 online does. Doesn't seem like it should be that demanding - the environments aren't that detailed, there are still loading times between areas, and there's rarely significant action on screen.
Probably poor optimization.

Oct 27, 2017
Just waiting for switch 2 to hopefully get what I want from Nintendo.
2022 is a long ways away. A Switch Pro at best will be New 3DS level. These new models strongly suggest a Pro model isn't coming until 2021 at the earliest imo and Nintendo said they want switch to last longer than a normal gen

Might as well buy a switch now and play all the games you want. Play them in their prime. You never know what life/gaming will throw at you by the time Switch Pro or a Switch 2 comes out which seems like they are several years away

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Cause cranking up the clock speed is much easier and cheaper than optimization.

Status
Not open for further replies.