• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So whats the overall verdict? I saw a new one pop up today at target but wanted to check this thread first before grabbing it tomorrow

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
So whats the overall verdict? I saw a new one pop up today at target but wanted to check this thread first before grabbing it tomorrow
Do you have an existing switch where you only use it docked or are satisfied with the current battery life at least enough that you don't want to go through the hassle of trading it in? Then you're fine without upgrading.

If it's your first switch and you don't want the smaller screen of the Lite coming out next month, or you mostly play portable and you NEED that bigger battery, go ahead and get it.

Beatofficer

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone was having issues like I was in the Sacramento area. The Gamestop off of 65th and Folsom has them in stock now. They also said all Gamestops should have these by tomorrow.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have an existing switch where you only use it docked or are satisfied with the current battery life at least enough that you don't want to go through the hassle of trading it in? Then you're fine without upgrading.

If it's your first switch and you don't want the smaller screen of the Lite coming out next month, or you mostly play portable and you NEED that bigger battery, go ahead and get it.

To answer these honestly:
I have a launch switch unit
Currently battery life is 3-5 hours for most games. i play more handheld than dock.
I do have a lite preordered by if the battery is better here and its slightly bigger I may go this way.

I can use my launch unit as a modded docked device and get a secondary is where i am at, just wondering if i should grab this now or wait til the lite?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
To answer these honestly:
I have a launch switch unit
Currently battery life is 3-5 hours for most games. i play more handheld than dock.
I do have a lite preordered by if the battery is better here and its slightly bigger I may go this way.

I can use my launch unit as a modded docked device and get a secondary is where i am at, just wondering if i should grab this now or wait til the lite?

I'm pretty sure the battery estimates on this are better than the Lite. But the Lite is a hundred bucks cheaper, the deciding factor (to me) would be whether you want to play it docked. Keep in mind that it's not simple (yet) to play on one switch and then resume on another, so it's not like you can play the docked one and seamlessly resume on the Lite.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
People run it pretty stable (in comparison) on old hacked Switch consoles with higher clocks, it seems to be GPU bound.

The new Switch should be able to run that place pretty smoothly, if Nintendo just allowed it.

We would get a bit better performance if Nintendo wanted. The chip is able to clock higher and has a higher max clock. They could make different profiles or implement a boost mode like Sony did with PS4 Pro, but at this point i don't think they want to with this model. Imo a little bit sad, cause this is the switch i wished for at launch but Nintendo uses the efficiency for battery life only.

Ohhh coool! Thanks for sharing, that's actually very interesting.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Noticed a bunch of tiny dots on the screen when it's all black. Don't have this on my launch Switch. Any new Switch owners notice anything like this?
20190809-022216.jpg

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Nintendo fucked up here if I could just switch between Switches game wise they would have 370 dollars from me.

Freed Games

Oct 29, 2017
Austria
Korok Forest isn't going to improve. It seems to be more of a memory bandwidth problem with the Switch (at least in docked anyway) and the fact that they kinda rushed this port out for the Switch; it won't ever get fixed unless we got a model with improved memory bandwidth etc
People run it pretty stable (in comparison) on old hacked Switch consoles with higher clocks, it seems to be GPU bound.

Is it possible to clock the RAM higher on hacked Switches?
Would be interesting how games performance chances with just higher bandwidth while CPU and GPU clocks staying the same.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
Friend of mine is getting the new Switch tomorrow and wants to trade in his old one at the local game store, but they're being a bit hesitant about the transfer because they don't have Wifi. He's happy to hotspot it on his phone, but I remember the 3DS transfer taking FOREVER on hotspot (and then crashing at the last second because of the bloody telco.)

How long does it take to transfer? Is hotspotting this one okay?

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly ? Nintendo should also start thinking about one of the biggest issues the battery has. Which is charging time, it takee AGES to charge to full. My phone has the same capacity as the switch and it charges fun in about an hour+ while switch takes idk 3h to to charge full?

Yup.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
So, I went over some images given that nobody else seemed to be doing it, because in the teardown of the Switch Lite the SoC seemed smaller to my eyes. I took measurements of two sets of images, and sure enough it's smaller:

The images from Spawn Wave said:

A nicer said:

What I did was, since the RAM chips and the substrate on which the SoC sits are the same size in all models, I measured the relative length of each side of the SoC against the length of the respective side of the substrate. If you do it correctly, the skewed perspective does not affect the results.

For reference, the "old" Tegra X1 is 11.1*10.6 mm, the wider side contains the memory interface as shown here in the left:

NVIDIA@20nm@TegraX1@Erista@Shield_TV@S_Taiwan_1517A1_NPW020.M3W_TM670D-A1___Stack-DSC00878-DSC00919_-_ZS-retouched by Fritzchens Fritz, en Flickr

And that side is facing the RAM chips in the Switch implementation.

Now, from my approximate measurements, the new chip is 0.87* the size on this wide end, and 0.90* the size on the narrow one, or 9.657*9.54mm, aka 92.13mm^2. This is about 78% of the original area, and the wide side should still be long enough to house the memory interface.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Honestly ? Nintendo should also start thinking about one of the biggest issues the battery has. Which is charging time, it takee AGES to charge to full. My phone has the same capacity as the switch and it charges fun in about an hour+ while switch takes idk 3h to to charge full?
people replace their phones every year

your switch should last five years

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
EVERY YEAR?? Mine is almost 2 years old now, still totally unrelated

I assumed he was saying something like the slower charging time meant that the switch's battery lasts longer than a phone's. But I had the same reaction: I don't replace my phone every year (and I don't even replace it every two years like I used to) and the switch battery better last more than five years.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I assumed he was saying something like the slower charging time meant that the switch's battery lasts longer than a phone's. But I had the same reaction: I don't replace my phone every year (and I don't even replace it every two years like I used to) and the switch battery better last more than five years.
Smart phone battery quality depends on the brand that produce the smartphone not all smartphones have same quality.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Yep, it's exactly that.

They need to guarantee that it'll last a long term, so if charging it slower produces less heat, it's better for the battery long term.

I won't lie, having something like warp charging would be godtier though lol -- Feels like that's something that could be marketed in a next gen/pro model maybe. Probably not.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Friend of mine is getting the new Switch tomorrow and wants to trade in his old one at the local game store, but they're being a bit hesitant about the transfer because they don't have Wifi. He's happy to hotspot it on his phone, but I remember the 3DS transfer taking FOREVER on hotspot (and then crashing at the last second because of the bloody telco.)

How long does it take to transfer? Is hotspotting this one okay?

It really comes down to how big and how many save files are tied to your account. My main account took about 27 minutes and then like 3-5 minutes of finalization
. On the other hand, my barely used JP account only took 1 minute

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
So, I went over some images given that nobody else seemed to be doing it, because in the teardown of the Switch Lite the SoC seemed smaller to my eyes. I took measurements of two sets of images, and sure enough it's smaller:

What I did was, since the RAM chips and the substrate on which the SoC sits are the same size in all models, I measured the relative length of each side of the SoC against the length of the respective side of the substrate. If you do it correctly, the skewed perspective does not affect the results.

For reference, the "old" Tegra X1 is 11.1*10.6 mm, the wider side contains the memory interface as shown here in the left:

NVIDIA@20nm@TegraX1@Erista@Shield_TV@S_Taiwan_1517A1_NPW020.M3W_TM670D-A1___Stack-DSC00878-DSC00919_-_ZS-retouched by Fritzchens Fritz, en Flickr

And that side is facing the RAM chips in the Switch implementation.

Now, from my approximate measurements, the new chip is 0.87* the size on this wide end, and 0.90* the size on the narrow one, or 9.657*9.54mm, aka 92.13mm^2. This is about 78% of the original area, and the wide side should still be long enough to house the memory interface.
Interesting. Thanks for the effort and the numbers.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
EVERY YEAR?? Mine is almost 2 years old now, still totally unrelated
don't get me wrong, I'm rockin an iphone se the screen of which I've replaced with a $20 kit on amazon. I simply meant that phones aren't designed to last, so batteries that obliterate themselves with super fast charging are fine

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
It's already out in the US though?

Can't find it on Amazon nor Best Buy (not gonna jump the gun until the SKU shows a red box); and according to the Nintendo website:

Model number: HAC-001(-01) (product serial number begins with "XKW")

This model includes battery life of approximately 4.5 - 9 hours*.

*The battery life will depend on the games you play. For instance, the battery will last approximately 5.5 hours for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

Available starting in mid-August 2019.

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
don't get me wrong, I'm rockin an iphone se the screen of which I've replaced with a $20 kit on amazon. I simply meant that phones aren't designed to last, so batteries that obliterate themselves with super fast charging are fine
Who told you super charging = none lasting battery though ?

Tesla batteries that suppose to last decades has super super fast chargers that charges a whole battery car in a matter of 30min.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
It really comes down to how big and how many save files are tied to your account. My main account took about 27 minutes and then like 3-5 minutes of finalization
. On the other hand, my barely used JP account only took 1 minute
Thank you very much! That helps a lot!

For some reason I was thinking it would transfer ALL data (installs, etc) and not just Save Data. Here's hoping it all goes well!

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Also again different brands have different goals/quality. Apple are known to pull a stun slowing down batteries whenever new phone releases to force people to buy them.

Electro15

Oct 7, 2018
Went to Gamestop and they had the new model and bought it.

New Switch owner here so I have a phew questions.

What are the most and essential accessories to get like Screen protector, SD card, case, and any good recommendation?

Should I get a pro controller or get something else? pro controllers are kind expensive ($70)

I got Zelda now I'm debating what will be my second game. Kind want to get Mario Maker 2.

swsp

Oct 27, 2017

What are the most and essential accessories to get like Screen protector, SD card, case, and any good recommendation?

Should I get a pro controller or get something else? pro controllers are kind expensive ($70)

I got Zelda now I'm debating what will be my second game. Kind want to get Mario Maker 2.
Surely there's a more appropriate thread for these questions.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Who told you super charging = none lasting battery though ?

Tesla batteries that suppose to last decades has super super fast chargers that charges a whole battery car in a matter of 30min.
this forum lol

read a tiny tiny bit about the algorithms involved in optimal charging, seems neat

I retract my opinion, although I don't think the Switch battery charging speed will improve until switch 2

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Picked one up today to be greeted with a dead pixel right in the middle of the screen so will be returning it tomorrow. Hopefully will have better luck with the replacement.

The screen is definitely warmer than the launch units, which we have 2 of in the house and they are both cooler than this new one. It's not THAT much warmer, but it makes the launch units stand out as having very blue'ish screens sitting next to it. I think the brightness level is noticeably dimmer on my new one compared to the launch unit. About 15% dimmer or so I'd say which is disappointing. I'll be exchanging it so hopefully this one was just a dud in that regard. The joycons as others have mentioned already fit much more tightly to the system.

Last edited:

Cr1st0

Oct 28, 2017

Tempered Glass
Samsung Mini SD card, try to get the 500gb one it goes on sale from time to time.
Get a Mumba or Skull Case, the one that fits on the dock
Same goes for the carrying case
Get a Pro if you can afford it, but if you feel comfortable with the joycon grip, get the one that charges them.
Mario Maker 2 is worth it, Fire Emblem Three Houses too

Cr1st0

Oct 28, 2017
I was looking to upgrade, but no luck still since it isn't available nowhere near me. Also warm screen is a down low for me. Still that battery life though

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
this forum lol

read a tiny tiny bit about the algorithms involved in optimal charging, seems neat

I retract my opinion, although I don't think the Switch battery charging speed will improve until switch 2
At least it should improve significantly while playing docked with this new model. If it's still pulling 16 watts of the wall, and the power consumption is much lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.