• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't very good but I kind of stopped caring. Just waiting for GoG Galaxy 2.0 so I can just run whichever client invisibly in the back ground.

It just feels redundant having a vertical, text list on the side, then another grid view in the middle, and having the play button under a bunch of news / tangential stuff about the game. Ideally I'd love to just see a simple grid view where you can freely sort, hide, rename, and make folders via dragging and dropping games on top of each other. Then when you click a game it just slides in a top bar or side bar with information about it and the play button.
I'm currently using both and I can only wish Galaxy 2.0 was just as good as this is proving itself to be, frankly (bar my recent nitpickings about changes I'm not digging).
I don't have anything against GoG, but I'm not sure on what merit their new client is getting showered in praises, frankly.

Its only notable feature is the option to integrate libraries from the other clients in the list of titles... Which feels vaguely pointless and you'll still to run those clients to play those games anyway.
It's also quite taxing to run. I was just checking it minutes ago as I decided to finally integrate few other services and... Well, it was taking 10-12% of CPU power in idle, while Steam tends to stay below 1%.

Oh I've just been using the Start Menu again for years now.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely using this more than GOG Galaxy 2.0, now. I never really bothered with categorizing my games, but using store tags and simple drag-and-drop sorting makes things so easy.

I don't mind replacing the home button with the library stuff up top. Less redundancy in the menus is good.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's also quite taxing to run. I was just checking it minutes ago as I decided to finally integrate few other services and... Well, it was taking 10-12% of CPU power in idle, while Steam tends to stay below 1%.
That's not the case at least in my machine. I've got almost all the integrations enabled and get slightly more cpu usage on GOG (around 1% when idle). The plugins do periodic checks for new games/achievements/etc, so that might explain your CPU usage spike.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
How do you show hidden games again?
I feel like it was in the library drop-down menu before they removed the home button, but maybe I'm misremembering.

Edit: Searching a hidden game makes the "hidden" collection appear, then it can be clicked to show them all. That's pretty convoluted.

Nov 14, 2017
I feel like it was in the library drop-down menu before they removed the home button, but maybe I'm misremembering.

Edit: Searching a hidden game makes the "hidden" collection appear, then it can be clicked to show them all. That's pretty convoluted.
An addendum to this, you can only search for a hidden game if the games aren't arranged by Recent Activity.

Deleted member 13148

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's under View -> Hidden Games. It took me a bit to find it; it would make much more sense under Library.

Deleted member 13148

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its only notable feature is the option to integrate libraries from the other clients in the list of titles... Which feels vaguely pointless and you'll still to run those clients to play those games anyway.
I've been avoiding CD Projekt since they started tweeting out transphobic shit, but I'd jump on any other client that offered integration between libraries in a heartbeat. That's exactly what I was hoping Playnite would have. Being able to organize your entire library in one client would be incredible to me, instead of having to manage it separately in a bunch of clients, and having to remember where you own each game.

Last edited:

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I'm currently using both and I can only wish Galaxy 2.0 was just as good as this is proving itself to be, frankly (bar my recent nitpickings about changes I'm not digging).
I don't have anything against GoG, but I'm not sure on what merit their new client is getting showered in praises, frankly.

That seems like a pretty big feature though, imo. If Steam could do the same, and make the overlay work, it'd be great for comfy couch pc gaming if you didn't need to find extra workarounds to get certain non-steam games working well with Steam input. Heck, it could be better launching games through Steam than their own launchers if Steam worked that way. Could be good for Steam's marketing too if it would be a good way of keeping people on Steam instead of other stores / launchers.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
"Home" in the library is actually in the drop-down menu under the "Library" tab at the top of the client.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
Anyone else have a ton of Free to Play games they have never touched now in their library?

Also is there a way to quickly get to acheivements from the library?

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Happens sometimes when Steam is really down. Unless you were already offline before it went down.

Steam Status looks unusally grim.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Happens sometimes when Steam is really down. Unless you were already offline before it went down.

Steam Status looks unusally grim.
The heck is "really down"?

I guess it's back to GOG for me, now.

EDIT: This is really weird. I tried going to Steam in my browser and nothing happens. No error from the server or from my browser itself.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Doh, I nearly reinstalled steam or did something drastic. Good thing I googled and saw I wasn't the only one getting "Unable to connect to the Steam Network" thing. I was only going to launch steam to launch Path of Exile standalone as silly as that sound.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
You could've used Steam offline while down if you put it on offline mode before it was down.

Edit: Store is online, which means it won't take long. But also that they should have better priorities :p

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Guess i'm done with steam after this. I never knew that they dont allow access to your games when it's "really down". They can go fuck themselves

7thFloor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
You could've used Steam offline while down if you put it on offline mode before it was down.
That's not true actually, I think there's a setting or something you can enable or disable that makes games always available offline. I'm able to launch games right now and I was not in offline mode.

Leunamus

May 18, 2019
0HFVTdb.jpg

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
On the plus side, I just logged into the Epic Store and Everything (the game, not literally everything) is free!

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
That's not true actually, I think there's a setting or something you can enable or disable that makes games always available offline. I'm able to launch games right now and I was not in offline mode.
If you are logged in you dont have any issue playing games (as long as you dont want to play online). Issue is that to log in you need to be online.

You can also manually launch a ton of DRM free even with Steam turned off btw.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Guess i'm done with steam after this. I never knew that they dont allow access to your games when it's "really down". They can go fuck themselves
Wow, not being able to login in offline mode is COMPLETE horseshit.
Is it possible that EPIC bought Valve and closed the store?
On the plus side, I just logged into the Epic Store and Everything (the game, not literally everything) is free!
Where did you all come from, all of a sudden?