KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
another example of a stupidly priced port of an old game from nintendo. easy pass until it gets a discount. but given how rare that seems to be with nintendo titles, i guess i'll just not be playing it at all.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
There is some major poetic justice about gamespot re-reviewing both NSMBU and Tropical Freeze and giving TF the higher score now.

That should just be a negative on each review, (along with price) that TF exists and is a superior platformer.

Cohesivestraw

Oct 29, 2017
I plan on picking this up since I got a WiiU late and never picked this up.
Game Spot said this. "It now exists on the same console as Super Mario Odyssey, which is possibly the finest 3D platformer ever made. " This is off topic and Odyssey is an excellent game but I can think of at least 3 better Marios.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I personally enjoy NSMBU but there's some rather baffling design decisions in this port. I don't understand why Toadette and Nabbit are mandatory multiplayer characters if you're playing with four people and why you can't toggle their handicaps off. Why can't all players play by the same rules?

That's such a Nintendo thing to do. They often omit very basic options for no real reason. I've been playing MK8 Deluxe and it has no sound options whatsoever for example. Just why?

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
This is going to be my first 2D Mario since NES days. Can't wait. But gotta finish Trails in the Sky FC first, and then Tales of Vesperia and Monster Boy.

Oct 27, 2017
This was easily my biggest disappointment with the port when it was announced. Nabbit already weakened 4 player Luigi U now it seems they've contaminated the main game :/

Woah... Nabbit is required for 4 people?? I know people say this as a joke but pre-order legit cancelled then. Sorry Nintendo, ya almost had my money. I got kids who wanna play, none of them want to play as a cheat Character

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I'd rather play Rayman Legends and DK, they're both amazing experiences on Switch.

This game is good though for a co-op experience.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
If this ever becomes a "Selects" title, I'll double dip. Otherwise I'm not paying $60 for a Wii U launch game.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Rayman Legends and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze of course.

In terms of simply better games releasing this month: Tales of Vesperia, Travis Strikes Again and Dragon: Marked for Death.
New Super Mario Bros U., especially with the Luigi add-on, is one of the finest platformers ever released. Only negative is the somewhat bland art style, but its level design & gameplay are pure gold. In addition, it turns out 2D Mario works really well with friends.

Tales of Vesperia is one of the better Tales games but it's ultimately a Tales game, which aren't the most amazing games in a lot of ways (crappy writing, so-so quest design, fairly generic animu aesthetics). Travis doesn't look like a particularly incredible entry to the beat 'em up genre. Could be decent fun but I'm not necessarily seeing a genre-topping experience. And Dragon: Marked for Death looks pretty mediocre & cheap. What are you smoking to think that it's going to be better than a super-polished, content-packed top-tier Mario game?

That said, you can definitely be critical of Nintendo releasing this as a full priced game instead of a budget title like most other developers would such a last-gen, single-game port/re-release with minimal new content/work done on it.

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe they're still using Wii era character models in this...they look so ropey compared to every other Switch Mario game :/ Of course it wasn't really acceptable on Wii U in 2012 either

Changing the mid-air spin to the jump button is also odd, can see it as an accessibility thing in some ways but it's unsurprising yet maddening they don't let you put it back on a shoulder button...

Still, for anyone getting this, don't sleep on the excellent and easily missed challenge mode, it's where a lot of my playtime was spent back on Wii U. This Nintendolife video does a great job showing its infuriating yet compelling nature

Had this game from day 1 on WiiU - never even realised that mode existed... great menu design there nintendo

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Not able to read some reviews right now, however

Surprised it's scoring lower than the Wii U version.. anyone who has seen or read a few reviews who can share why that is?

Did the Gamepad features for the game really add that much? I cant say I used it outside of trying it out.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Unless the reviews are down on the price (which I can understand) there's no reason this shouldn't score 90+.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I personally enjoy NSMBU but there's some rather baffling design decisions in this port. I don't understand why Toadette and Nabbit are mandatory multiplayer characters if you're playing with four people and why you can't toggle their handicaps off. Why can't all players play by the same rules?
Wait, WHAT?

For real?

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Tales of Vesperia is one of the better Tales games but it's ultimately a Tales game, which aren't the most amazing games in a lot of ways (crappy writing, so-so quest design, fairly generic animu aesthetics). Travis doesn't look like a particularly incredible entry to the beat 'em up genre. Could be decent fun but I'm not necessarily seeing a genre-topping experience. And Dragon: Marked for Death looks pretty mediocre & cheap. What are you smoking to think that it's going to be better than a super-polished, content-packed top-tier Mario game?

I already mentioned why I prefer to support those games over this one.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Woah... Nabbit is required for 4 people?? I know people say this as a joke but pre-order legit cancelled then. Sorry Nintendo, ya almost had my money. I got kids who wanna play, none of them want to play as a cheat Character

Nabbit was always required in 4 player nslu, but with blue toad getting cut now someone must play as toadette or nabbit in 4 player nsmbu, and BOTH must be used in 4 player nslu

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Weird scores, the game was 9/10 on WiiU

By all accounts this is an objectively worse version

+ 1080p
+/- toadette replaces blue toad
- inability to do 4 player without someone having a handicap
- removal of gamepad content and challenges

NSMBU if you only plan to play single player is still the masterpiece it always was. The multiplayer which imo was the games biggest draw has been made objectively worse outside of a scenario where you have two inexperienced players who both need assist characters.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017

The original was full of insane design decisions too. Like you couldn't use the Gamepad in multiplayer unless it was to drop blocks for other players using the touch screen. You couldn't use the Pro Controller or Classic Controller in either single or multiplayer either. I had the ridiculous situation at launch where I had four controllers (Gamepad, Pro, 2 Wiimotes) but only two people could play at once.

The patched the game to allow more controller types after about a year as part of the Luigi U update, but they still never allowed the use of the Gamepad to control a character in multiplayer.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo really needs to get more creative with the gameplay and art direction of their modern 2D Mario games.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Had this game from day 1 on WiiU - never even realised that mode existed... great menu design there nintendo

Putting it under the "Play with Mii" banner is forever dooming it to obscurity D:

The original was full of insane design decisions too. Like you couldn't use the Gamepad in multiplayer unless it was to drop blocks for other players using the touch screen. You couldn't use the Pro Controller or Classic Controller in either single or multiplayer either. I had the ridiculous situation at launch where I had four controllers (Gamepad, Pro, 2 Wiimotes) but only two people could play at once.

The patched the game to allow more controller types after about a year as part of the Luigi U update, but they still never allowed the use of the Gamepad to control a character in multiplayer.

Ha, I'm pretty sure it was this along with no compatibility in Nintendo Land that convinced me not to bother with the Wii U pro controller. I was so relieved that support was better overall for the Switch pro, even if still not perfect (Snipperclips not having it for months, Pokémon Let's Go...)

Also bizarre with NSMBWii and U was the inability to play as anyone other than Mario in single player, thankfully something they've rectified here.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed and 100%ed on Wii U, even Luigi U, this rerelease is pointless for me.
Casuals might get more interested in this one.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
By all accounts this is an objectively worse version

+ 1080p
+/- toadette replaces blue toad
- inability to do 4 player without someone having a handicap
- removal of gamepad content and challenges
Yeah this is really the true thing. But it does also come with Luigi U (which is the secret best New SMB game), and more importantly, it's portable. That's why I'm getting it, personally.

Also, at the time the game came out on Wii U I had franchise fatigue, with New SMB Wii and especially 3DS only recently coming out, so I didn't feel like playing this game at all. Now I am amped for 2D Mario on the go. So those 9/10 scores from back then will still apply to me since I didn't really play it before for more than an hour.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
I'm currently replaying the Wii U version because it's been a while since I played it and I was interested to see how it holds up.
Overall, it's a fun game but nothing really outstanding. It has a clean art-style and the levels are well designed and is generally a fun time. There's repetition and lack of imagination in the mini-boss battles and it's a bit frustrating that some of the hidden coins are of the "miss it and you have to go back and do the whole level" variety.