• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Dallas then and now:
znlx4I7.jpg

Credit: https://www.instagram.com/rlandantexas/

It's that time of year again! The U.S. Census has put out its numbers for metropolitan area populations today. The Census Bureau has not put out its press release yet, but i went ahead and dug into the data to pull up the relevant numbers!
You can find the data here:
Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Areas Totals: 2010-2020

You can find the previous threads here:

The Largest U.S. Metropolitan Statistical Areas as of 2020:
wwebEZX.jpg

The change from 2019 to 2020:
The metropolitan areas that saw the largest growth in the past year:
ULkKXFD.jpg

The largest metropolitan areas:
PAJt0H0.jpg

The metropolitan areas that saw the largest percent growth in the past year:
OqElSRy.jpg

The metropolitan areas that saw the worst percent growth in the past year:
1R094PZ.jpg

The change between 2010 and 2020:
The metropolitan areas that saw the largest growth in the past decade:
8Vgslbo.jpg

The metropolitan areas that saw the largest percent growth in the past decade:
t48DYuL.jpg

The metropolitan areas that saw the worst percent growth in the past decade:
UrMKmlH.jpg

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well hopefully everybody moves to Texas and makes California cheap again so in 15 years when read articles about how cheap California is and why everybody is moving there.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
It makes sense to me. Among many other factors, people are moving to urban areas where housing prices aren't still astronomical (though they are becoming so now).

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Arizona will be uninhabitable pretty soon. Same with Texas. California too though.

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the clusterfuck situation involving Texas's energy grid this past winter will have any effect on stunting its growth. I sure as fuck won't ever consider moving there in the future knowing that an unexpected weather event could literally cause me to freeze to death, or get a $10k electricity bill.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the clusterfuck situation involving Texas's energy grid this past winter will have any effect on stunting its growth. I sure as fuck won't ever consider moving there in the future knowing that an unexpected weather event could literally cause me to freeze to death, or get a $10k electricity bill.

Houston was submerged due to moronic state zoning (or lack of) requirements and I don't think that's slowed anything down.

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
All these sunbelt cities are so sprawly, I want walkability and public transit :(

Houston was submerged due to moronic state zoning (or lack of) requirements and I don't think that's slowed anything down.
Yeah Houston is fucked in regards to its flood plain layout and it'll only get worse as more stuff gets built. We still don't have the map updated for post-Harvey iirc

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine Houston sustaining that level of growth for another 10 years since Oil and Gas isn't quite what it used to be.

Even though some Houstonians have consistently claimed that the city was free from the influence of just Oil and Gas, I certainly never saw it and I can't ever see it going that way. MD Anderson and the Medical District are great but it can't replace such a massive and wealthy industry like that.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I can't imagine Houston sustaining that level of growth for another 10 years since Oil and Gas isn't quite what it used to be.

Even though some Houstonians have consistently claimed that the city was free from the influence of just Oil and Gas, I certainly never saw it and I can't ever see it going that way. MD Anderson and the Medical District are great but it can't replace such a massive and wealthy industry like that.
Houston medical center is the largest in the world, though, and healthcare is a massive industry. And while oil/gas may be waning some, that doesn't mean energy needs go away. There have been more and more companies switching gears and going into greener energies. Energy may look different, but I'd think many players there would transition as needed to maintain their money and influence.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of the fast growing places are going to become hellscapes because of climate change so I don´t know that it matters that much. What is a beautiful climate now is going to become unbearable tomorrow.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't it be nice in cities with the infrastructure unplace to support density allowed old housing to be demolished and new housing with additional units to be constructed?

The primary reason this migration is occurring is the north east and California have effectively outlawed home construction.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
A lot of the fast growing places are going to become hellscapes because of climate change so I don´t know that it matters that much. What is a beautiful climate now is going to become unbearable tomorrow.
Unfortunately, a lot of people looking for a combination of cheaper housing and good jobs today aren't going to care much about issues decades down the line.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
True, but it's not like this is something that is going to happen in an instant. It will get a little more bad every year.
For sure. But that probably adds to the problem. The gradual nature of this allows people to continually put it off or not really consider it as much of a priority. We don't know when crap will truly hit the fan on a profound scale, but at the same time, people want cheap housing now. Other places sometimes refuse to provide it, so they go where they can.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Job industry creating liberal hubs.

Who knew high talent below director level would all be liberals.

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Houston medical center is the largest in the world, though, and healthcare is a massive industry. And while oil/gas may be waning some, that doesn't mean energy needs go away. There have been more and more companies switching gears and going into greener energies. Energy may look different, but I'd think many players there would transition as needed to maintain their money and influence.
Houston has some of the best medical facilities in the world but is also in the least insured state with 1/5 of the population having no insurance. We literally turned down free money with the Medicaid expansion and our health insurance industry is some of the priciest out there

ABC123

Mar 1, 2019
Love seeing Seattle continuing to grow at a rapid pace. My sister and brother in law live in Eastern Washington, and every time I see them, my brother in law always talks to me about how Seattle is going to die any second now and how it's hemorrhaging population while Eastern Washington is the place to be.

Oct 28, 2017
Philadelphia continues to slide. Used to be the 4th largest area in the country. There is no more room to build here.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Riverside/San Bernardino not being a part of LA/Long Beach/Anaheim and then not including Ventura is bullshit.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Yeah Orlando has become way too populated in the past ten years. I plan to move to Colorado ASAP because I want snow and mountains. People can have this place.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
nothing really surprising at all on any of those lists. It sucks that its only every 10 years, but man, would love to see what covid did to some of these large metropolitan areas.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Houston has some of the best medical facilities in the world but is also in the least insured state with 1/5 of the population having no insurance. We literally turned down free money with the Medicaid expansion and our health insurance industry is some of the priciest out there
Yeah, southern state leadership and many of their supporters love when people suffer by doing things like that.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
That Denver number makes more sense when you realize it doesn't include Greeley (no southern Weld County), Boulder (no Boulder County) or Fort Collins (no Larimer County), and those three alone add about another million people to the mix. They're all classified as separate metro areas but really only Fort Collins is what I'd consider separate.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't it be nice in cities with the infrastructure unplace to support density allowed old housing to be demolished and new housing with additional units to be constructed?

The primary reason this migration is occurring is the north east and California have effectively outlawed home construction.
CA hasn't uniformly. Famous cities have but its why the inland empire and the antelope valley have been growing here in SoCal. There needs to be state preemption and reform of home rule on certain aspects of zoning. I think Oregon did this?

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, that Dallas comparison pic. Almost looks like a new city.

Love seeing Seattle continuing to grow at a rapid pace. My sister and brother in law live in Eastern Washington, and every time I see them, my brother in law always talks to me about how Seattle is going to die any second now and how it's hemorrhaging population while Eastern Washington is the place to be.

Eastern Washington is a Trumper shithole.

True Underdog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

In Eastern Washington, hating Seattle is a personality trait.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Glad I left Texas 6 years ago. It was getting bonkers busy with so much urban sprawl and light pollution. My favorite is when a new strip mall gets put in on i45 and there's like 3 defunct, totally usable strips malls just a few miles away. Why reuse the infrastructure when we can just get more billable hours and built more wasteful buildings.

Not only that but the architecture is gross too. No creativity or sense of style; just shit out more cookie cutter buildings

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Unless I am reading this wrong, the data here is not correct for Chico, Ca. I think Butte County as a whole has been grabbed and not the city of Chico.

The metropolitan area takes its name from the largest/focus city/cities. The boundaries of what's considered the metro areas follow county borders. Greeley is the exact same (Greeley metro area is considered all of Weld County, Colorado)

The Llama

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's just me but I'm not sure why the census bureau bothered putting this out just yet because it doesn't include the results of the 2020 census yet. Why wouldn't they just wait another few weeks and use much better data? Lol.

Edit: And I'm aware that they put this out every year, just not sure why in census years they don't wait to incorporate the actual data from the census.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Glad I left Texas 6 years ago. It was getting bonkers busy with so much urban sprawl and light pollution. My favorite is when a new strip mall gets put in on i45 and there's like 3 defunct, totally usable strips malls just a few miles away. Why reuse the infrastructure when we can just get more billable hours and built more wasteful buildings.

Not only that but the architecture is gross too. No creativity or sense of style; just shit out more cookie cutter buildings

That's the downsize to laissez-faire zoning. A lot of sprawl due to lack of planning and everything looks disjointed because of that. There's a happy medium to be found, but neither Texas nor California have found it.

Restored

Oct 27, 2017

Yea for some reason everyone thinks Seattle is going to die any day now. This isn't the 70s anymore and it's a great city to live in.

That one propaganda news video really did a number on people.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
That's the downsize to laissez-faire zoning. A lot of sprawl due to lack of planning and everything looks disjointed because of that. There's a happy medium to be found, but neither Texas nor California have found it.
Good point. Theres certain areas in Houston where it's a really cool mix of houses and bars and stores; I think the montrose district. But the eye sore from Houston to Sam Houston national forest is unbelievable and has made it a certainty I'll never live there again

AntoneM

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's just me but I'm not sure why the census bureau bothered putting this out just yet because it doesn't include the results of the 2020 census yet. Why wouldn't they just wait another few weeks and use much better data? Lol.

Edit: And I'm aware that they put this out every year, just not sure why in census years they don't wait to incorporate the actual data from the census.
Yeah these estimates are suspect when the estimate is that the Phoenix area grew by 866,000 but the census puts the entire states growth at 759,000 (unless Tucson and Yuma are just hemorrhaging population). Of course Phoenix metro growth could also be due in part to in-state migration, especially college kids in Tucson and Flagstaff.

OP
OP
Ottaro

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, that Dallas comparison pic. Almost looks like a new city.
It's hard to overstate how wild it has been watching this occur over several decades.
Look at the growth since 2000:
0udUV5G.jpg

2.5 million people, that's the same as gobbling up the entire metro population of Portland or Las Vegas. And this is what that wild sprawl looks like in horrifying timelapse form: https://earthengine.google.com/time...=19840101&et=20201231&startDwell=0&endDwell=0

And the same has been happening with Houston, Austin, and San Antonio. The Texas of now is hardly the same Texas of five years ago, ten years ago, twenty. It's been immensely fascinating to witness. People are quick (and right) to point out that most of the growth has been happening in the suburban sprawl, but that really undersells how much each metros' urban centers have completely changed in twenty years.

No clue lol. I expect the official numbers will cut all of these across the board due to the problems the Census had last year.