• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
A good chunk of people don't live in places were it is even possible to use electric as their primary transport due to a variety of factors. For example, I don't really consider them an option for me because of two challenges.
1. Suburban/Rural drivers ... or anyone who drives long distances multiple times a year. Range still isn't there even on the premium vehicles, let alone the budget ones. And no, charging stations are a BS answer when you have to use them every trip. Extending an already long drive by hours while you sit in your car masturbating over that fact that you drive electric isn't practical.
2. Apt dwellers who lack places to charge.

1) charge sessions are 30 minutes to an hour depending on what you need. That's a bathroom break or lunch.
2) that's a problem although they're starting to add stations to apartments and condos here.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
1) charge sessions are 30 minutes to an hour depending on what you need. That's a bathroom break.
2) that's a problem although they're starting to add stations to apartments and condos here.

You might wanna see a doctor.

Also, that is the ideal time, not the norm yet for most electric cars in the budget range.

Deleted member 15948

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to them, though I am in the camp that says the revolution is still a ways off... maybe 10 years.

A good chunk of people don't live in places were it is even possible to use electric as their primary transport due to a variety of factors. For example, I don't really consider them an option for me because of two challenges.
1. Suburban/Rural drivers ... or anyone who drives long distances multiple times a year. Range still isn't there even on the premium vehicles, let alone the budget ones. And no, charging stations are a BS answer when you have to use them every trip. Extending an already long drive by hours while you sit in your car masturbating over that fact that you drive electric isn't practical.
2. Apt dwellers who lack places to charge.

Yup, as much as I pooh-pooh electric, it's mostly because of number 1 there. Give me a range of ~1200km on a truck-type platform so I can get to the middle of fucking nowhere and back down shitty dirt roads, then we can talk. Unfortunately, as with most rural-related issues, I suspect the population density and number of people needing this is low enough that there isn't sufficient incentive for companies to bother trying. Capitalism!

Buran

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yup. Tesla interiors are shocking.

Give me some of this:
audi-e-tron-quattro-interior.jpg

I like a loot the interiors of the latest A6, A7 and A8 series, but in terms of exterior design the one which trully like is the Elaine (former known as the e-Tron Sportback), which will arrive a year later.

But is not surprising: currently own a 2014's A5 and the only Audi I like from outside in their current versions is the A5. The E-Tron isn't as good loking as the I-Pace or the Taycan (well, as the Mission E prototype). Anyway I salute any carmaker pushing the EVs, no matter if we are talking about the luxury segment, the premium one or just the affordable models. The most the choices are, the better.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
German luxury reliability hasnt been great in the past 20 years, I would wait and see before jumping in.

And a electric Jaguar just sounds like a nightmare since the electronics are usually what goes on a Jag.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
Been rocking a Leaf for years. I never want to go back. Driving is so much more smooth and peaceful in an electric.

Buran

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
And a electric Jaguar just sounds like a nightmare since the electronics are usually what goes on a Jag.

Is the problem the infortaiment system or anything else? Because yes, we known that some brands can struggle with those (there's a reason due the latest Astons are using the electronics and operative system from MB), but in terms of electronics hasn't to be that way: Bugatti has the Chiron with no navigator screen due they known that two years later any Ford Fiesta would made it obsolete. Surprisingly, probably the currently most advanced user interface developed for a road-legal car is probably the in-house made by Rimac to the Concept_One and the C_Two. And Jaguar, despite having a background of faulty cars, had no problems implementing a HUD in the I-Pace (a device grossly absent in the Teslas).

Valkyr Junkie

Oct 27, 2017
You might wanna see a doctor.

Also, that is the ideal time, not the norm yet for most electric cars in the budget range.

The budget EVs are intended to be a 2nd or 3rd car for a household. Only Teslas at the moment are capable of being "the one" car in a household due to having both the range and charging network required for road trips. Aside from using Superchargers, Teslas have the highest-capacity onboard chargers which lets them use the full capacity of 50 amp outlets available at RV campsites if you venture out from interstates.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
This is a concept rendering of the Model S/X redesign coming up in a few years:

Tesla-Model-SX-design-refresh-electrek-1.jpg

I'm not a Tesla owner but in terms of design preference, once I got into minimalism I can't go back.
For real? They are going to remove the virtual cockpit from the S and X models too and slap a monitor in the middle?

The e-tron concept interior is based on the new Audi design philosophy from the A6/7/8 series, which is quite nice imo. It is simple, but stylish like all Audi interiors.

maxresdefault.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I gotta say Audi is absolutely killing it when it comes to interior design with their latest batch of cars. Completely out of my price range of course, but I'll take them over Tesla's infuriating insistence on a single tablet any day of the week.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
The budget EVs are intended to be a 2nd or 3rd car for a household. Only Teslas at the moment are capable of being "the one" car in a household due to having both the range and charging network required for road trips. Aside from using Superchargers, Teslas have the highest-capacity onboard chargers which lets them use the full capacity of 50 amp outlets available at RV campsites if you venture out from interstates.

Which essentially proves my point that the tech isn't there yet, because the lowest end Tesla's still don't fit the budget category AND they don't have viable range yet.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah indeed, but man I hope they are trying, saving the planet is nice if you're a douchebag, but it doesn't mean shit until it's financially viable for the Everyman.
I expect used EVs with practical range to reach the affordability threshold pretty soon. But with the way car sharing and automation is going, I think the idea of owning a car is going to seem like an extravagance in less than 10 years. The lower per mile cost of EVs will allow for a wider range of profitable business models for selling transportation. In fact, Waymo is launching this year.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
I would agree, but you'll never convince the majority of people, or at least Americans, to want to buy a small car. Small city cars don't even sell well as it is despite being affordable and economical.
And that's stupid, especially in terms EVs. Thanks to the lack of ICE in those cars, the cargo space is much bigger. A small car can easily compete with a small sedan in cargo space.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
And that's stupid, especially in terms EVs. Thanks to the lack of ICE in those cars, the cargo space is much bigger. A small car can easily compete with a small sedan in cargo space.

Is it bigger though? While at least the electric motor is smaller than an engine/transmission, you still have a large amount of batteries to pack somewhere. Though I guess you can get away with storing them below the passengers which is what most cars are doing now. And people are dumb, because from what I've seen they think larger car = more space. And its not just the space inside, they actually want a car that's physically larger. Just look at how many people here that drive an SUV and rarely or never fill it up.

Also, people think larger cars are safer, even though these days with modern safety technology they're really no better than small cars. Also, large trucks and SUV's are actually less safe than cars, as trucks have or at least had, less strict safety standards.

Last edited:

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Plug-in hybrids and electric w/ ICE generator engines are certainly the kind of half step cars I can see getting popular before a wider rollout of charging stations. I'd certainly buy one if I actually had the money to afford one, or if charging it doesn't involve crossing 5 lanes of wild traffic to my job since there's no charge points at my work.

Also, I recently got a compact car because I just need a cheap way to get to work and back that no crossover will give. 33 MPG and still enough room to actually do most haul jobs.

Corran Horn

Oct 25, 2017
Love my chevy volt. Cant wait till Electric gets better/cheaper tho and I move into a house where I can upgrade my power. Currently Im in a Condo so my only option for power is 110v plug so the charge takes 10ish hours for full charge of the smaller battery the volts have.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully California will pass the electric car price matching subsidy that's in talks right now. Basically it gives a subsidy to people so that electric cars are at parity with comparable model ICE cars. Will be funded by the carbon tax, I believe.

Coolness

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
I've been happy with my Leaf. For longer trips, we have a Prius. Most of the time, the Leaf is the one we use though.

Rivi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless they are as cheap as a tesla then I think I'll stick with the idea of getting a tesla

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
This is what I've been waiting for. The Teslas seem pretty cool, but their mass market launch showed me that it was better to wait.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
It's cool seeing new EVs, but I'm still miffed at the discontinued Chevy Spark EV a couple years ago. It feels like car manufacturers still see EV as a scary term for whatever reason and only wanna put a tiny investment into it. I really think making a cheaper starter car with minimal bells and whistles that's electric will help things along more than higher end performance vehicles, though I do see the logic behind it. Smaller batches to customers, letting people who will pay more for a car already foot the bill for R&D, gradual infrastructure chance, etc. I just really wanna see some more consumer level options than the C-Max/Fusion Energi, Volt, Leaf, and Prius Prime (I don't consider the Model 3 a consumer car yet because you have to pay 60+k to get one not on back order).

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
Been seriously considering buying an electric car in the near future, but I have a bunch of questions about buying one that make me wish we had an OT or other resource for that sort of thing. It's hard to get answers to the questions I have on google.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still think that the Nio ES8 has the most cutting edge stuff build into it. A personal tamagotchi like AI called Nomi, ability to automatically change the battery in 3 minutes etc.

With the ease of building electric cars Chinese are going to become a mayor player imo.

I mean Ssangyoung sold more cars in Germany then Tesla did (Jan- June 2018). And that's not even an EV.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even though i've got no money and can't drive. I'd love to see an all electric luxury grand tourer.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I like my current ICE Citroën, but i'm incredibly excited with how electrics have exploded onto the market the last 5 or so years. It really is a revolution and sooner or later the majority of cars sold will be electric.

I'll be in the market for a new car in 3 to 4 years. At that point I hope there to be a decent selection of relatively affordable EV's out there.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
All of the match Tesla. Saw this graph on an Audi eTron post earlier today:

Audi e-tron quattro
  • Battery: 95 kWh
  • Range: 248 miles WLTP
Chevy Bolt / Opel Ampera-e / Vauxhall Ampera-e
  • Battery: 60 kWh
  • Range: 238 miles EPA (Bolt), 236 miles WLTP (Ampera-e, estimated)
Tesla Model S 100D
  • Battery: 100 kWh
  • Range: 335 miles EPA

All of these cars are completely new platforms.

Though to your point, the original Tesla Roadster was shoehorned into an existing design by Lotus, so not even Tesla broke that barrier.

It's apparent that Audi still has some catching up to do with their efficiency. While it is a little unfair to compare a SUV to a sedan or an even smaller car like the Bolt, the Model X gets almost the same range of the e-tron quattro with a much smaller 75 kWh battery (237 miles) and at the top of the spectrum you get 47 more miles from a battery that's slightly bigger (100 kWh vs 95 kWh).
It's great that the competition is finally starting to get serious in this segment, though. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the VW ID Concept turns out.

Volkswagen-ID-1.jpg

With that form factor and a competitive price it will be very successful in Europe.

MCN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I would agree, but you'll never convince the majority of people, or at least Americans, to want to buy a small car. Small city cars don't even sell well as it is despite being affordable and economical.

Americans are weird when it comes to cars. They're obsessed with huge sedans, trucks and SUVs, and I have absolutely no idea why. In Europe, it's family hatchbacks and smaller crossover SUVs that rule the roost.

SuperRaddy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
... and soon the world will be crying short of essential resources getting diminished for batteries...

Electric cars nice in theory to cut carbon emitions but really still need more focus on the hydrogen cell and technology around that which has gone super quiet because there is an easier option right now...

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully California will pass the electric car price matching subsidy that's in talks right now. Basically it gives a subsidy to people so that electric cars are at parity with comparable model ICE cars. Will be funded by the carbon tax, I believe.
This seems like it would end up being a regressive redistribution...