• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you prefer?

• Gotta go fast (1080P, 60+ FPS)

Votes: 329 71.7%
  • Gotta go big (4K, 30FPS)

Votes: 89 19.4%
  • Gotta go medium well done (1440P, 45FPS)

Votes: 41 8.9%

• Total voters

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
60 frames should be number one priority, whether dev uses dynamic res or whatever other technique to keep it that way.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Lol at ppl saying "1080p can die!" while 30fps or even below that is perfectly fine for them...

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
1080p native render is fine if the console is capable of doing their own internal mCable/mClassic style up scaling to 4K/8K with AA.

Tarnpanzer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I can imagine we get lower res modes with enhanced RT-effects. A 2080Ti just barely reaches 60fps at 1080p with all RT-effects in Control.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Unless developers are aiming for 120hz or ray tracing is really demanding and they're cranking it up, I don't think we'll see any regular 1080p games next gen. They didn't build machines this powerful for developers to target 1080p even if that's still what most people have.

Not like anyone has to buy a 4k TV just because the games minimum resolution is higher than your TV. But unless there was a good reason, I think it's just going to happen anyways.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
All of my TVs are 1080p. I'd feel wasteful buying a 4k TV just for a resolution bump when most of the video content I'd be watching would be 1080p.

I definitely don't feel like I'll need higher resolution for console games any time in the next few years.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I hope everyone in this thread saying 1080p can die are playing on high end PCs and not on console where it's "4K" , medium/low settings and struggling to hit 30fps half the time.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
If people are blown away at something like god of war which nails it's upscaling implementation, I'm all for it for a lot of games.

Use that extra power (which would be A LOT more not wasted on resolution) for anything else.

SoftTaur

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to be upset if my console games are running at less than 60 FPS in order to render pixels my TV doesn't have.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm expecting downsampling but I could definitely see "performance mode" being a thing for a few games.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Wat I'm most excited about is using the 10+ TF at 1080p. Should hopefully mean 60fps more often than not. The performance of last guardian, and bloodborne to a lesser extent, hampered my enjoyment. Tlg because its framerate literally tanks to low double digits and bloodborne because of microstutterng.

I don't care about 4k. 1080p is already crispy clear. Would rather put the extra horsepower to fps

Oh my dear friend.

Comandr

Feb 14, 2018
What percentage of society do you think have bought a new TV in the last five years? Now subtract from that percentage the amount of people who put that new TV in a room other than the one that their consoles are based in.

That's why.
You had me in the first half. Actually, well, no you didn't. I think a huge amount of people bought a TV in the last five years. I know this because I work in an electronics store that sells TVs. Now if I was the kind of person to go out and buy a potentially ~$600 dollar console, which is what we are talking about here when we are talking about "next gen," I would want it hooked up to my tv that I just bought that I maybe didn't put into the room..? Why wouldn't you put your nice TV in the console room? Or vice versa? That seems like a really odd, self imposed limit. If you think 1080p is "fine" you need to treat yourself to playing a game in native 4k. Next gen, between secret sauce, coding to the metal, and 30TFLOPS from the SSD, we should be able to enjoy native 4k/60.

Generally speaking, most games won't target super high refresh rates. If it comes between pushing more effects or having a higher frame rate, developers are always going to choose more effects unless the gameplay is specifically tailored to high FPS games, like shooters or character action games. Most of the time, I think we will be able to have both. Both RE3 and Doom: Hell's Bells look AND play beautifully, thanks in large part to their engines and the tremendous people that worked to get them there.

I think as consumers, we should never settle for "good enough." These consoles were largely developed by their respective manufacturers asking developers what they wanted out of a console. None of them said "Eh this is good enough." Between game makers and console manufacturers, a tremendous amount of people in the industry are pushing to deliver a high fidelity, and high quality experience to players. Saying "1080p is good enough" is like saying seeing a picture of a banana taped to a wall is good enough. You have to be there. You have to take it in. I forgot where I was going with this.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
It will probably have downsampling but nothing beyond that. Sadly.

Though I do probably have to buy a new TV/monitor at some point as mine is like 7 years old.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
How about 720 lol? But yeah I am with you, I won't be getting a new tv anytime soon so all of the 4k talk I just ignore.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
1440p / 1800p with some fancy checkerbox rendering / upscaling at 60fps would be a much more attractive target than 1080p. And do some dynamic resolution scaling, if you want.

4k30 should definitely not be the target, but 1080p60 would be extremely underwhelming. Like, the fucking Switch does 1080p60 ...
Not gonna pay €500 for a console just to be stuck at 1080p for another 5 years.

But of course - just do 4k60.Doom eternal looks and feels fantastic on the PS4 Pro... If there's a will, there's a way.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
You had me in the first half. Actually, well, no you didn't. I think a huge amount of people bought a TV in the last five years. I know this because I work in an electronics store that sells TVs. Now if I was the kind of person to go out and buy a potentially ~$600 dollar console, which is what we are talking about here when we are talking about "next gen," I would want it hooked up to my tv that I just bought that I maybe didn't put into the room..? Why wouldn't you put your nice TV in the console room? Or vice versa? That seems like a really odd, self imposed limit. If you think 1080p is "fine" you need to treat yourself to playing a game in native 4k. Next gen, between secret sauce, coding to the metal, and 30TFLOPS from the SSD, we should be able to enjoy native 4k/60.

Generally speaking, most games won't target super high refresh rates. If it comes between pushing more effects or having a higher frame rate, developers are always going to choose more effects unless the gameplay is specifically tailored to high FPS games, like shooters or character action games. Most of the time, I think we will be able to have both. Both RE3 and Doom: Hell's Bells look AND play beautifully, thanks in large part to their engines and the tremendous people that worked to get them there.

I think as consumers, we should never settle for "good enough." These consoles were largely developed by their respective manufacturers asking developers what they wanted out of a console. None of them said "Eh this is good enough." Between game makers and console manufacturers, a tremendous amount of people in the industry are pushing to deliver a high fidelity, and high quality experience to players. Saying "1080p is good enough" is like saying seeing a picture of a banana taped to a wall is good enough. You have to be there. You have to take it in. I forgot where I was going with this.

This is a very detailed post, but you didn't really address what I said in the first place. Yes, people buy a lot of new TVs, but enough that the majority of users are rocking 4K sets in the same room of the house as their consoles? I seriously doubt it.

Deleted member 61326

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2019
Eh I couldn't care less about 4K. I'm fine with 1080P and honestly can't tell that much of difference anyway. And don't get me started with RT, I watch comparison videos and even if I can "tell" it's not that of a big deal.

I do hope though that this gen is the gen we finally get 60+ fps. Lower resolution and higher FPS any day of the week.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Wats wrong with 108p0?
This happens every gen. There's a similar thread about current gen graphics still being impressive too. Last gen people were saying 720p was absolutely fine and they don't notice the difference, and then they'd post a screenshot of that frickin' tree trunk texture from Uncharted.

You've just not got anything to properly compare it to yet. Once you're used to 4k, and everyone else is used to next gen graphics quality, object detail, and world scale, you'll chuckle about this.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP, sounds like what you are looking for is PC. I'm still playing at 1080p 144 Hz, G-sync at Ultra settings. It's glorious. With that said, I will be getting both the PS5 and XSX, as well as a new 4k TV this year, if I survive physically and financially, this Corona virus. . I hope that they mostly target 60 fps or above on the new consoles. I can't stand 30 fps.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
I played control at 1024x768 at 120/ultra/full RTX on a crt and it was glorious. Looked incredible.
It breaks my heart that more people don't try CRTs. I play everything on a 17" CRT @1280x960. It just looks so good in motion and the colours are out of this world. And my CRT is not even high-end or anything.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Lol at ppl saying "1080p can die!" while 30fps or even below that is perfectly fine for them...

The biggest travesty indeed!
1080p at high refresh is better than 4K30 fuck that 30fps shit, thats true rubbish.

Im sticking with 1440p144 screens for all of nextgen, hoping the consoles have a downsample to 1440p option my screen isnt that big so 4K isnt really an option.

And on the PC front I should be able to bells and whistles 1440p at well above 60fps.

I dont think 4K60+ is a thing i can reasonably expect without paying an arm and a leg.
40K60 is already a bitch now, with even higher visuals nextgen I dont think my PC will be ready and I doubt the consoles will actually have a bunch of 4K60 games let alone 60+

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Wat I'm most excited about is using the 10+ TF at 1080p. Should hopefully mean 60fps more often than not.
In old (backwards compatible) games or new releases? Because new games most certainly will run at higher resolutions. And framerates will tank. Same shit, different gen.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
Why are you talking about fixed resolutions? Even the 2013 consoles use mostly variable resolutions and reconstruction. The 2020 consoles are all about VRS (variable rate shading) and adaptive render targets. The concept of fixed resolutions does no longer apply. Even the concept of "locked 60fps" will be a thing of the past with variable refresh rates in most TVs.

Imagine Gran Turismo on PS5, a single frame of you going at high speeds on a straight towards a complicated part of a track. High resolution is not adding anything to the far edges of the screen that move very fast (and are motion blurred to hell). Low resolution is hampering your ability to identify the track far ahead.

Imagine rendering the portion of the screen with the far track in "8K" and the less important, blurred edges of the screen in "1080p". Then the whole thing is reconstructed to match the static, native pixel count of your output device (i.e 4K TV). Now you have a downsampled super crisp and detailed view of the track far ahead and you wont even notice the reduced detail of the blurred trees in the corner of your eye in a screenshot without DF telling you. The construction of this frame took 14.9ms. Your TV will show this frame and refresh instantly. No need to run it at a fixed 67Hz as it is fully variable.

Bluforce

Oct 27, 2017
One of the positives in PC gaming.

I'll stick with 1080p@144Hz for a long time.
As now, I really hope the new consoles go all in to the 4K. So I can achieve the same graphics details at 1/4 of pixels without changing hardware for a while.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
Up to a 40" display,1080p is still ok imo. For larger dislplays, 4k is probably a must now, unless you're sitting really far away.