• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Me thinks that Reddit leak is seeming fishier and fishier.

You will note that under the Xbox Scorpio GPU info page, that at the bottom SOC is listed as "Anubis" and codename for GPU is "Cactus".

http://ranker.sisoftware.net/show_r...e1d0e0d5e7d2e1c7b588b89efb9ea393b5c6fbc3&l=en

Above is the link that our reliable twitter leaker KOMACHI_ENSAKI sends us to. It also mentions AMD CACTUS, and note the memor bandwidth of 176.0.

These is are he's tweets trying to puzzle it out and how the next Xbox SOC being called Anubis doesn't really make sense.
https://mobile.twitter.com/KOMACHI_ENSAKA/status/1088108882528919558

https://mobile.twitter.com/KOMACHI_ENSAKA/status/1088117955273998338

That Anubis spec couldn't pass for much outside of the OG XBOX One. Not sure what it has to with anything.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
So amd anubis isnt a next xbox code name then?

Doesnt this cast doubt on the leaker from the MS first party thread?

Yep. He got verified for OTHER things, not his corroboration of the hardware stuff. It's like the guy that got the Sony not being at E3 right and suddenly he even knows price point and inner workings of third party games

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
Next Xbox To Feature Ray Tracing, 1TB NVMe SSD Storage; DevKit To Release After GDC 2019 – Rumor

About the reddit leak.​
The hardware is partially true​
Storage is true​
Raytracing is true​
Lockhart is not Streaming box​
Xbox SoC codename is Anubis, check AMD's plan​
MS AI is not a part of the hardware, in other words, never heard of TPU or ASIC like it​
How to implement Raytracing? See GDC 2019​
Why they make a decision like Lockhart? See GDC 2019​
Why there still no DevKit? After GDC 2019​
The rumored specs for the next Xbox console, codenamed Anubis, are:
CPU: Custom 8 cores / 16 Threads Zen 2 CPU​
GPU: Custom NAVI @12+ teraflops​
Memory: 16GB GDDR6​
Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD @ 1+GB/s​
DirectX Raytracing + MS AI​

https://wccftech.com/next-xbox-rayt...JGtEfjhvk8uhAHn3pKXvXtf28uJ5WqWK3tSLZ80qiqNGU

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
That Anubis spec couldn't pass for much outside of the OG XBOX One. Not sure what it has to with anything.

It would not be hard for a leaker to make shit up and then glom on to an extremely obscure thing like the soc name for Scorpio to give it a semblance of believability. So much so that even someone reliable like KOMACHI is trying to figure it out and fit the round peg in the square hole when his first reaction is that the codename is already being used. Add that to the 4tf low end lockhart which is supposed to be the streaming console according to the leaker even though Brad Sams (reliable) has said lockhart is not streaming. There's just enough wrong that it all seems iffy

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
It would not be hard for a leaker to make shit up and then glom on to an extremely obscure thing like the soc name for Scorpio to give it a semblance of believability. So much so that even someone reliable like KOMACHI is trying to figure it out and fit the round peg in the square hole when his first reaction is that the codename is already being used. Add that to the 4tf low end lockhart which is supposed to be the streaming console according to the leaker even though Brad Sams (reliable) has said lockhart is not streaming. There's just enough wrong that it all seems iffy

Either way I've fashioned my tinfoil hat and am ready for the ride. Why not, it's fun.

Nov 8, 2017
Yes.
The opposite of this would be the X1s esram and Ddr3 setup.

The 1x design was a bet on gddr5 being too expensive and the idea that a fast/slow ram config with a larger total quantity of memory would be a better design. It backfired when it turns out that by launch 8gb is absolutely possible. I've often wondered how perceptions may have differed if we did end up with 8gb xb1 / 4gb ps4, which seemed like a possible outcome for Ms at the design stage.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
From my understanding the reddit leaker never mentioned anubis, it was the leaker on the MS first party that did.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Maybe lockhart is a digital only mini 1x?
(handheld? Heh, if only... Think we're a good few years away from that kind of die shrink ... Would explain the ssd though )

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Hmmm, komachi from twitter mentioned that its possible that lockhart will be listed as anubis+ in this case. Maybe lockhart really is 6tf with zen in this case.

So maybe the ms leaker on resetera knows details about the lower SKU and not the higher one? Could you have raytracing and that hard drive on the lower SKU with just the GPU being different?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
So maybe the ms leaker on resetera knows details about the lower SKU and not the higher one? Could you have raytracing and that hard drive on the lower SKU with just the GPU being different?
I will be honest, that i still do not fully believe that user even if they were verified. I just cant see SSD in a low end machine, its pointless. Also all the other leaks mentioned SSD only on the anaconda.
Regarding ray tracing, there are some games that ray tracing to some level on the current gen, i think the ray tracing thing will just be a buzzword that wouldnt really do anything significant in the games.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I want to help you out without snark.

AMD is not giving free GPUs to Sony. What Sony gets out of the partnership is the ability to customize the GPU with things they like without having to absorb the huge R&D costs of being a GPU developer and manufacturer. Same as Microsoft. Yes, Sony sells a lot of consoles, right now even more than Microsoft. Microsoft however closes that gap easily with potential purchases for their data centers, surface line, and by helping AMD on the PC side better integrate their software with Windows. These relationships are intertwined and crucial for all parties. Business will be done in good faith.
Thank you for the help without the snark fellow Gundam fan.

It makes zero sense for Sony and Microsoft to develop GPU's that will then be used on other consoles and PC's.

In any case, Dr. Lisa Su did state that they are helping both Microsoft and Sony with their version of 'secret sauce' i.e. platform specific customizations no different to what you on the Pro and X.
Roger, roger.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I will be honest, that i still do not fully believe that user even if they were verified. I just cant see SSD in a low end machine, its pointless. Also all the other leaks mentioned SSD only on the anaconda.
Regarding ray tracing, there are some games that ray tracing to some level on the current gen, i think the ray tracing thing will just be a buzzword that wouldnt really do anything significant in the games.

Someone mentioned it culd have been a troll leak designed to make sony look bad. Which is why it was posted in Xbox subreddit rather than something more general like videogames

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Someone mentioned it culd have been a troll leak designed to make sony look bad. Which is why it was posted in Xbox subreddit rather than something more general like videogames
Again, i am not talking about the reddit leak. It was obviously a troll leak and not worth even discussing. And once again the one who said lockhart code name is anubis was the leaker from the MS first party, not the reddit leaker, that is why i am becoming more suspicious about this users legitimacy regarding the scarlett leaks, even if he was verified for knowledge of GDC discussions.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
It will be around 10 it will not be 8 c'mon

No one has any idea what it will be. So there are no reasonable conclusions one can jump to.

The reality is, peeps on here are far too fixated on maximum theoretical flops numbers, and modern GPUs are so much more than paper flops that it renders all the flops discussion utterly meaningless.

Traditionally, AMDs architectures haven't been nearly as efficient for gaming workloads when it comes to paper flops numbers anyway, especially versus NVidia. So AMDs paper flops are just less meaningful for games.

One could hope Navi bring positive changes to reverse that trend. But then that would amount to mere hope at this stage.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Not really offended. Just annoyed by people taking small bits of information and extrapolating ever more grandiose notions from it.

Navi will absolutely be influenced by Sony, because Sony will have submitted requirements that need to be addressed by AMD in the design to make it suitable for use in the PS5.

Sony will then have customizations specific and unique to the PS5 SoC that will appear in that implementation, and only that implementation, of Navi.

The thing I have issue with is the degree people seem to think that Sony's influence will affect the base Navi architecture and the idea that Sony are actively making parts of the base Navi architecture that will appear in implementations other than those commissioned by Sony.

It's a bit weird to be annoyed at this particular thing, with all the downplaying of the PS5 that's been going on in this thread in the last couple of weeks.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just going by the reports. You claim that Navi architecture is in no way influenced by Sony nor is it made for or with Sony. That isn't what the reports say. It isn't what Mark Cerny has said historically about the PS4 and PS4pro GPU architecture.

If you don't accept that it's your prerogative. Personally I do because I have no reason not to, I lack your apparent offence at the idea. So I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Let's see what they say about the architecture at the PS5 reveal. If they don't claim to have had any input in the Navi architecture I will happily accept those reports to be wrong.

I also heard that Sony and Mark Cerny invented gaming GPUs.

Sure, customers might ask for features or contribute to a certain degree. But yeah... It's not called semi-custom for nothing.
Navi was happening regardless of Sony or Microsoft.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
If it's 8tf.. I'm going Xbox V 1st next gen.

As much as I prefer Sony for their consistent first party output - doing a staggered MS first approach can work well as MS tend to Stacie their launches and support well for the first couple of years, while PlayStation can take a little while to warm up.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019

Sure, customers might ask for features or contribute to a certain degree. But yeah... It's not called semi-custom for nothing.

A lot of people putting a lot of words in my mouth in this thread as an excuse to attack me, because how dare I base my opinion on EG reporting or Mark Cerny's words. So whatever dude.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming a 19 launch happens on 7nm (and I can't how see how it would happen otherwise)? There wouldn't be any meaningful differences to the core tech, no. 7nm Zen is Zen 2; Zen+ won't get ported. RTG is a shambles and anyone who truly believe they have any chance to hit their 2020 target for their next gen GPU architecture is delusional, so GPU then is going to be Navi.

So, maybe a 2020 launch could go 7nm+ - bit better area scaling, bit better perf and clocks. And there's a chance Zen2 will get a 7nm+ refresh. And that's it.

No meaningful differences.

Agree on the core tech but 1X is basically the same - barely any more CUs than ps pro but they clock higher and faster/more ram. So there can still be a power difference depending on balance of cost vs intended sale price. Right now for me the tech stuff is interesting but we have no info really. The business angle with the possible twin SKUs from MS is intriguing

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Not really offended. Just annoyed by people taking small bits of information and extrapolating ever more grandiose notions from it.

Navi will absolutely be influenced by Sony, because Sony will have submitted requirements that need to be addressed by AMD in the design to make it suitable for use in the PS5.

Sony will then have customizations specific and unique to the PS5 SoC that will appear in that implementation, and only that implementation, of Navi.

The thing I have issue with is the degree people seem to think that Sony's influence will affect the base Navi architecture and the idea that Sony are actively making parts of the base Navi architecture that will appear in implementations other than those commissioned by Sony.

Ah so you're attacking me based on what you think I think, rather than what I have actually said (and supported with EG reporting). Let me quote the article you're ignoring one third and last time to you:

"the notion of a console project leading the development of PC graphics technology isn't entirely unprecedented. When the specs for the PlayStation 4 GPU leaked, we noted the high level of similarity between Sony's hardware and AMD's Pitcairn design that debuted in the Radeon HD 7870 and HD 7850, while PS4 Pro's hardware make-up had commonalities with AMD's Polaris GPU line.

"You may later on see something that looks very much like a console GPU as a discrete [PC] GPU, but that's then being very familiar with the design and taking inspiration from the console GPU. So the similarity, if you see one, is actually the reverse of what you're thinking," Mark Cerny told me during his briefing of the PlayStation 4 Pro hardware"

This is all I'm saying and have said, and apparently the lead of digital foundry and Mark Cerny agree with me. Again, maybe you know better than those guys... It's strange to get your panties in a bunch over it though, especially when you have now admitted that Sony contribute to and influence the Navi design.

Like I said. Let's wait until the PS5 reveal. If Sony say they helped AMD with Navi arch then you can eat some crow. If they don't I happily will.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I mean raytraycing requires alot of compute, dont see raytracing in any form on a sub$400 box.

Me neither. And I don't want it. It's a waste of silicon if they use an APU and a similar dedicated cores approach like Nvidia. Or it may require a discrete processor which can add to cost.

It's too immature right now. Console games can still do ray tracing and already do - but more light probes to help with lighting generally, not full scene tracing for reflections etc. It may be possible to extend that a little with increase compute units on the GPU - remember Sony talkign about 'too many' CUs for rendering with the thought some will be used for compute? So n extension of that.

Also if the base units don't have RT I don't see the mid gen refresh having them either - adding more performance is relatively easy to absorb by developers (or even transparent), but adding specific functionally that would require dedicated work and patches will likely have poor adoption and arguably a waste of silicon.

Save full RT for next next gen when it is more mature and the return on silicon cost is more understood

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've read most of this thread with interest and given everything we've seen so far, here's my hot take:

• Microsoft will have a lightly more powerful (in raw tflops) system - Anaconda - than Sony
  • Microsoft will announce first - specs leaked after GDC, blow-out this E3
  • Sony are keeping things under their hats because they don't need to go first this time - I expect Microsoft to release first
  • Microsoft to use the tech revealed by AMD this CES Radeon VII derived + ray tracing hardware + couple of Navi tweaks (why did Phil appear at the launch of Radeon VII??)
  • - ray tracing is part of the next iteration of DirectX and XBox means (Direct)XBox
  • - it has been mentioned that they want to use the same hardware in the data center and in consoles - Radeon VII is primarily compute focused
  • - it has been mentioned that they want to include ML hardware acceleration - Radeon VII is primarily compute focused
  • - I doubt they will blink at using HBM to get massive bandwidth as it is valuable for both data center apps and gaming
  • Sony on the other hand will have more IP from Navi at their fingertips - much more of the tech will be focused on their specific patents
  • Microsoft will get 12+ tflops + HBM2 + upclocked Zen2 in Anaconda - by pushing clocks and using excellent cooling as in X
  • Sony will have lower raw tflops (9-10 tflops), but will focus on clever tricks to push similar levels of visuals without needing the raw power - see PS4Pro's ID buffer for H/W support for checkerboard rendering - I expect to see more Navi tweaks like this
  • Sony will have lower clocked CPU than Microsoft - historically this has always been the case and I don't see it changing this time
  • Sony may use GDDR6 or HBM2 not sure on this as they have a history of funky RAM in the past (PS2 rambus)
Just wanted to get this down so I can see how far off I am ;-)

Feb 1, 2018
Europe

Indeed, glad somebody injected some reality into this narrative.

Sony and MS can just ask AMD for some specific tweaks, some accents they want in their machines. No way they are heavily involved in designing the actual silicon. They create the specs, AMD tries to deliver that.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Will be interesting if MS make the first move. Mainly as they made the last move with 1X so they could piss people off. But you can argue they need to make moves to try and gain on Sony. And Sony are presumably perfectly happy to allow MS to be making these comments etc for now without responding - keeping their powder dry I assume.

But if MS do announce formally before Sony, I would expect Sony to start some spoiling PR like they did with Dreamcast - worth waiting for etc (that's if the gap between MS announcement and Sony's preferred timing is relatively large)

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Me neither. And I don't want it. It's a waste of silicon if they use an APU and a similar dedicated cores approach like Nvidia. Or it may require a discrete processor which can add to cost.

It's too immature right now. Console games can still do ray tracing and already do - but more light probes to help with lighting generally, not full scene tracing for reflections etc. It may be possible to extend that a little with increase compute units on the GPU - remember Sony talkign about 'too many' CUs for rendering with the thought some will be used for compute? So n extension of that.

Also if the base units don't have RT I don't see the mid gen refresh having them either - adding more performance is relatively easy to absorb by developers (or even transparent), but adding specific functionally that would require dedicated work and patches will likely have poor adoption and arguably a waste of silicon.

Save full RT for next next gen when it is more mature and the return on silicon cost is more understood
RT can be done on current gen consoles with software based RT, its just super limited, even killzone shadowfall had a limited ray traced reflections for effects. Which is probably what MS will do as well, software based ray tracing that will barely get used.

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh and forgot to say - regardless of which platform you feel a kinship with, we're all going to get some excellent hardware next-gen, the CPU upgrade alone will enable some awesome experiences

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I'd just like to plant my flag and note my prediction for the PS5 somewhere. I'm up to date on the rumors, but I'll still go with the following:

-8C/16T Zen2
-14-16 TF Custom Navi
-32 GB GDDR6 RAM
-2 TB SSD
$499.00

I know at this stage those specs just seem too unrealistic, but I think the perfect storm of hardware will come together for this. SSD prices will continue to plummet as we're already seeing. There was that rumor that Sony wants more RAM in the PS5, I think they're going to push for a 4x increase over the PS4. Navi is still a massive unknown, but we've been sitting on this rumor of Sony and AMD partnering heavily for its development. I am not going to believe that all of that money and effort, on a 7nm process no less, will be dumped into producing a GPU just a tad more powerful than the one in the (then) 3 year old Xbox One X. I know Navi TF's might not be comparable to TF's in current gen machines, but still. Cooling and fan noise has been a complaint on PS4/Pro so I think we can say without a doubt that it is one of the priorities they will focus on with the PS5. No clue what cooling solution they'll go with but I think it'll allow them to push for higher clocks.

I know some people want to look at what they've done historically with clock speeds and all, but with the PS4 they pretty much had to just go with whatever AMD had available and make the best of it. With Navi they've had many years to work with AMD, and if the rumors are true about their level of involvement then I think we have to toss the history books out the window. I mean, when was the last time Sony was able to properly control the development of their GPU pretty much from the ground up with many years of lead time? PS4, they had to just go with what AMD had in the APU. PS3 their plans for Cell fell apart and they had to scramble to put something together with Nvidia. I don't know enough about the history of the PS2 or 1 to say how that went. This is their first chance in generations to get exactly what they want. They have the money to pull it off since they're in a far better position financially, they've got the clout with AMD to pull it off with their position as the market leader. I think they're going to take full advantage and build a monster.

Also, I'd guess they'd take upwards of a $100.00 loss on each console to make this a reality. It's also worth keeping in mind that when negotiating with component suppliers that they can not only point to the impressive sales numbers of the PS4 but they will also be ordering a shitload of additional components for the PS Now servers. I'd imagine the increase in order volume should help them to negotiate even better prices.

So yeah... my prediction with reasoning (relatively flimsy as it might be). It's what my gut says and I'll stand by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.