• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
To me that reads like proof of identity or something. Rather than proof that the 'aim' will be achieved.

So as far as both those go, that's fair enough, I'd put them both in the category of reporting an expectation or aim rather than claiming any verification or knowledge of what's actually going on.
Proof of identity? Klobrille is known, I don't think he would just now being providing proof of identity lol, and it really doesn't read like that to me at all.

Turkey

Oct 27, 2017
I would not be surprised if the CPU and traditional GPU were roughly the same given AMD only has so much on the table, the "power" difference may be down to how much RT each side throws at it. If Microsoft are going all in they might believe they will have the edge on "power" by whatever contrived metric they associate with RT They know what AMD can deliver at what date and cost so it's not like they are blink to what the Sony may do and vice versa.

E3 cannot come soon enough

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Right, what I'm saying is that while the proof can be interesting, what he was "proving" by itself isn't that interesting.

Saying that MS "aims for anaconda to be stronger than the PS5" isn't being proved here, so whatever Nibel found interesting doesn't amount to much for the underlying claim.
It would be interesting if there was some kind of info on how MS aims to achieve their goals.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Man I am bookmarking so many posts right now :)

I wonder if the smart move for Sony is to ditch the PS4 base and make the Pro the new low-end. 4tflop Pro for $299, 8tflop PS5 for $399 would be super compelling, if BC works as well as everyone hopes and even moreso if they sort out cross-buy.

PS4 Pro and PS4 Base will - imo - be products that end their lifecycle at the same time.

Unless there's cross-gen games where it cannot run on base, but can do so on Pro/5, it makes no sense to ditch the most low cost and affordable model.

Nov 30, 2017
And here again is the problem. At this point the only Avenue left to "garauntee" more power is to take a bigger loss. Which is an interesting bet, because as Penello said in the old thread, just because MS can take a big loss and be okay with it doesn't mean Xbox could do that (paraphrasing)

Yeah exactly. Look at the pricing of the discless X.

I expect MS at E3 to give the same info Sony did. Phil might even say it will be more powerful. He knows thats what X fans want to hear and of course he wants the buzz about next gen talks to be about them.

MS knows they have to bring things to the table. Since they dont have strong exclusives they have focused on more power, BC, and Gamepass value.

They will talk about Xcloud and tease what their acquired new studios are working on.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
To me that reads like proof of identity or something. Rather than proof that the 'aim' will be achieved.

So as far as both those go, that's fair enough, I'd put them both in the category of reporting an expectation or aim rather than claiming any verification or knowledge of what's actually going on.

er no

that proof was obviously not identity but something detailing plans... or at least summarizing them.

the entire thing with reference to security means he can't post it or MS would certainly come after era/him

Deleted member 30005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
And here again is the problem. At this point the only Avenue left to "garauntee" more power is to take a bigger loss. Which is an interesting bet, because as Penello said in the old thread, just because MS can take a big loss and be okay with it doesn't mean Xbox could do that (paraphrasing)

The problem is bigger than that. There's also the decision of choosing a hardware design not knowing the intention of your competitor. Microsoft cannot aspire to build a clearly better performing machine while simultaneously second-guessing Sony's full and final design choices. The permutations between $399-499 are far too great. The same problem arises not knowing how much of a loss your competitor--who has generated consistently higher revenues in the gaming space--is willing to take on their own console. The only way Xbox can guarantee a higher performance console is if they resolve to build and retail a $599 spec machine from the outset. It's also the only sure way to safeguard against misinformation that might otherwise shape your design choices.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
after seeing the quake 2/minecraft mod videos. I would gladly trade a few tfps to get good RT support. you can say it doesnt matter all you want, but dam.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Proof of identity? Klobrille is known, I don't think he would just now being providing proof of identity lol, and it really doesn't read like that to me at all.

Forgive me, but he is known? He's an anonymous poster. He's not 'verified'. From his post, he said he was offering Nibel proof of how he would know this was MS's aim. That reads like he was proving to Nibel something about how he was in a position to know what MS's aim was - i.e. something about his identity, or something about how it has come to his knowledge what MS was aiming for. But not proof of the veracity of that as a claim of what would actually happen. AFAIK, per others posters above, Klobrille himself isn't even claiming to know whether it's something that will actually happen, vs something MS is 'aiming for'.

the entire thing with reference to security means he can't post it or MS would certainly come after era/him

Security related screams identity related, or something that might lead people to uncover his identity or the identity of others.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Forgive me, but he is known? He's an anonymous poster.
He is anonymous to us, I suspect not to some Mods/Admins here.
If we talk about the content he may shared with Nibel it could be a document that just describes each step of the release (Dev Kits and API releases). For Xbox One X there was such a document too. IIRC that document had some specs and targets in it. Some of them came to existence others not or not at once (like the HDMI 2.1 capabilities).

Last edited:

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I wonder if the smart move for Sony is to ditch the PS4 base and make the Pro the new low-end. 4tflop Pro for $299, 8tflop PS5 for $399 would be super compelling, if BC works as well as everyone hopes and even moreso if they sort out cross-buy.

I didn't think about that. Also, they could even re-brand the pro as the ps5 _____ that would compete with lockhart.

just curious, what your thoughts are on anaconda. Do you think MS is pretty determined to make anaconda more powerful than the ps5?

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
after seeing the quake 2/minecraft mod videos. I would gladly trade a few tfps to get good RT support. you can say it doesnt matter all you want, but dam.

I think RT will be here to stay and hopefully all consoles support it. Seen a couple of videos from NVIDIA with engineers explaining that not only will games look better but, it will also help devs develop easier. They said devs spend an absurd amount of time trying to get lightning and materials looking right and RT will help with that, the problem is that it's rather intensive and so you need good machines to run that on.

Sony does random out of the blue Wired articles instead of controlled leaks.

I like those more at least is from an official source. Hopefully we'll know more about both consoles this year!

I'm still not certain MS will be showing anything other than a teaser at E3, if these consoles are to release at the end of 2020 it's way too early to show a full reveal.

Last edited:

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
Forgive me, but he is known? He's an anonymous poster. He's not 'verified'. From his post, he said he was offering Nibel proof of how he would know this was MS's aim. That reads like he was proving to Nibel something about how he was in a position to know what MS's aim was - i.e. something about his identity, or something about how it has come to his knowledge what MS was aiming for. But not proof of the veracity of that as a claim of what would actually happen. AFAIK, per others posters above, Klobrille himself isn't even claiming to know whether it's something that will actually happen, vs something MS is 'aiming for'.

Security related screams identity related, or something that might lead people to uncover his identity or the identity of others.
So, he must have proof of Xbox having two chips, soc with CPU + GPU and discrete GPU. IIRC there was also a past rumor of PS5 going also discrete this gen. So anyone could end being more powerful.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I'll just repost what I wrote in the other thread here:

Let's contextualise this.

In the past 9-10 months since the last E3, we've had a wealth of 'leaks' regarding the future of Xbox. Scarlet, Anaconda, Lockhart, Fall 2020 for Scarlet, Xcloud, platform strategy, Gamepass strategy, Maverick, Nintendo-partnership, acquisitions considered from a range of sources like Jez, Brad Sams, etc.

So much of these details have been proven accurate in the past few months to varying degrees with stuff like XBLive on other platforms, Cuphead on Switch, Xbox SAD, etc.

A lot of these details, imo - are clearly 'controlled leaks' seeded from MS themselves so that they are dictating the next-gen messaging even as they are 2 years out from the release of their next-gen console.

And purely by the logic that they have a 2 SKU strategy for next-gen ( Anaconda/Lockhart ), that imo is a very clear statement from MS's camp - they want to, just like current gen with Xbox One X and Xbox One S/AD, have the advantage from both power and pricing perspective. Where there are 2 SKUs to both have the claim of 'most powerful' and 'most affordable' at launch.

Will Anaconda actually be more powerful than PS5? Personally, I wouldn't immediately assume so. Still too early to tell without more details.

But I'm pretty sure that MS fully intends Anaconda to be the most powerful system it can be at whatever price-point that it aims for - and imo the only real question is "Did MS assume PS5 was gonna be a cheaper $399 console or something when it's actually (potentially) $499" and Anaconda was gonna be a $499 machine that was superior in the same spectrum of how X was superior to Pro with a $100 price advantage.

The moment it was 'leaked' to us that MS has a 2-SKU strategy, one could immediately make an educated guess that the reason for that is because they want to have their premium SKU be the most powerful SKU in the market. We saw this with the X this gen, and we knew prior to that that the X was a strategic move to reclaim the power throne which MS valued a lot. There's absolutely nothing weird about MS still wanting and aiming to have the power crown.

Will they achieve that goal? We won't know until the final specs are out there.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

Klobrille has been posting inside info for months and months, he is known. Also, the wording of his post implies that he was sharing some kind of internal information.
"To add transparency, I've sent proof as to why I know Anaconda aims to be the the (wording suggests clearly) better performing device to Nibel. He can decide the rest "
The bolded clearly suggests that it's some sort of internal info he's reading.

Deleted member 30005

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

2013-gen consoles are severely hindered by their Jaguar CPUs. It would be undesirable to anchor/tether next-gen consoles to them. Especially in light of what is arriving next.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

I see it like this. The PS4 would have the advantage of being cheaper. The Pro would have the advantage of being more powerful. Imo, if someone has not bought a PS4 yet, they will care far more about the former.

Deleted member 21

Banned
Oct 24, 2017

This is pretty much on point which makes people asking me for Anaconda/Lockhart specs even weirder (and please stop doing that).

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Klobrille has been posting inside info for months and months, he is known. Also, the wording of his post implies that he was sharing some kind of internal information.
"To add transparency, I've sent proof as to why I know Anaconda aims to be the the (wording suggests clearly) better performing device to Nibel. He can decide the rest "
The bolded clearly suggests that it's some sort of internal info he's reading.

I had a different read of that sentence - I read the emphasis on proof of 'why I would know' re. the aim, rather than re. the outcome.

Listen though, if he has indeed claimed to know, himself, that Ananconda will be more powerful, then it's fair to for people to revert to the questions being asked earlier. It just seemed to me people were putting too much heat on him and Brad Sams vs what they actually said thusfar, IMO. They really haven't said very much.

This is pretty much on point which makes people asking me for Anaconda/Lockhart specs even weirder (and please stop doing that).

Thanks for clarifying.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018

There's honestly no point in speculating what Nibel could have seen. What if it was proof definitive of an NVME 4.0 SSD? What if it was proof definitive of HBM? We honestly have no idea. Do i expect it to be more powerful than ps5? Yes, will it be a huge difference? No, now that it sounds like ps5 will also be $499 (also speculation) it doesn't sound like it will be a massive difference

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I didn't think about that. Also, they could even re-brand the pro as the ps5 _____ that would compete with lockhart.

just curious, what your thoughts are on anaconda. Do you think MS is pretty determined to make anaconda more powerful than the ps5?

With them saying that the PS5 is a "revolution", I really doubt they would do that. Pro's hardware on paper is much weaker than the PS5's. Sony is not afraid to leave a platform behind if it can't provide the technologies/advances they want to use.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I believe (could be wrong, we have been talking about this for a long time) I stated that Microsoft was aiming to match the price point of the PS5 with Anaconda. Lockhart should be cheaper, aka the value device, for the next gen.

From what I have been hearing, it is my expectation that Anaconda will top PS5 in terms of raw specs, that's the expectation but there are a lot of variables to this equation.

That could wind up being a pretty big deal if they get the price right on Lockhart.

Jan 17, 2019
When it comes to insiders i wait to see there track record .
As for now i don't think there any insiders that know what both MS and Sony planing hardware wise.
Which is why you see they say MS aim to be the most powerful and we hardly get any info about Sony before the interview.

Hmqgg clealry said in other thread that next Xbox will be the most powerful console without providing any proof, and also he knows nothing about PS5

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I had a different read of that sentence - I read the emphasis on proof of 'why I would know' re. the aim, rather than re. the outcome.

Listen though, if he has indeed claimed to know, himself, that Ananconda will be more powerful, then it's fair to for people to revert to the questions being asked earlier. It just seemed to me people were putting too much heat on him and Brad Sams vs what they actually said thusfar, IMO. They really haven't said very much.

Thanks for clarifying.
Well yea, they never claimed to know that Anaconda will be more powerful.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017

I am totally against that move. Making all games for the Pro would negate the several of the PS5 hardware advantages that could fuel the new gameplay systems.

PS5 game could have a combat encounter scene where Kratos is fighting against 50 enemies+ [soldiers, spellcasters, giants] inside a burning town with 1000 of civilians fleeing arround him. On PS4 Pro, its Jaguar could not even come close handling all that enemy AIs, NPC charachters, and burning city. Same as with Shadow of Mordor on PS3, both visuals and core gameplay would have to be cut and downsized dramatically [they threw away the Nemesis system].

Or, PS5 games could be made to specifically take advantage from ultra-fast storage. The protagonist can be a teleporter, who can in one action scene quickly visit 15 locations just to land few punches on some big enemy. One new location every few seconds. All those fully featured locations could not be loaded in time PS4 Pro's laptop HDD.

I hope for a short "crossgen period", and then the arrival of nextgen-only games. In Gen8, this period lasted for about year and a half. Unity arrived one year after PS4/xbone launched, and it took a bit more time for devs to release more optimized games. This time there will be even less tools/software roadblocks, devs will be more prepared.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Thanks for clarifying.
Klorbie is Phil Spencer confirmed ??? We knew he was lurking in era :D Haha
Of course I m joking

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Okay to shift to another prediction. 3 days in we already have reached 40 pages.

Poll:
Will this thread last until E3 or will it reach its 400 pages limit before E3 starts?

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The only way clearly MS will have the more powerful console is if they are using something custom beyond Navi. In which case Sony might as well not come out with the PS5.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Please no.dont give them ideas
Let next gen be designed for SSD, zen2 cpu and a juicy 11 TF console and not be shackled by fuckin jaguar and Polaris and hdd

Mula

Banned
Jan 18, 2019

TbH making the old Jaguar Konsole the low end for next Gen would be beyond stupid in my opinion

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Anyone know how long PS4 was in development?

From Mark himself:

What about the hardware side?

Well the innards were something where we really need to know what we're doing four years out. So I had gone around in 2008, 2009 and toured 30 something development teams, talking to them about what sort of features they'd like to see. But I couldn't admit to being actively working on PlayStation 4, so we disguised it as a "questionnaire" as to what they though the future of video game consoles would be like. We didn't fool anybody. They knew that we were asking about PlayStation 4, and they told us what they wanted, and much of what you see in the console is that feature set.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/meet-the-guy-who-engineered-the-playstation-4/

Deleted member 30005

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
And purely by the logic that they have a 2 SKU strategy for next-gen ... they want to ... have the advantage from both power and pricing perspective. Where there are 2 SKUs to both have the claim of 'most powerful' and 'most affordable' at launch.
Or 'weakest' and 'most expensive', depending on your point of view ;)

imo the only real question is "Did MS assume PS5 was gonna be a cheaper $399 console or something when it's actually (potentially) $499" and Anaconda was gonna be a $499 machine that was superior in the same spectrum of how X was superior to Pro with a $100 price advantage.

I'm glad you raised that point. It's not outlandish to suggest Sony could have been sending wrong signals (e.g. 8 TFLOPS, price conscious, unwilling to break £399 barrier). There's precedent.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think RT will be here to stay and hopefully all consoles support it. Seen a couple of videos from NVIDIA with engineers explaining that not only will games look better but, it will also help devs develop easier. They said devs spend an absurd amount of time trying to get lightning and materials looking right and RT will help with that, the problem is that it's rather intensive and so you need good machines to run that on.

I like those more at least is from an official source. Hopefully we'll know more about both consoles this year!

I'm still not certain MS will be showing anything other than a teaser at E3, if these consoles are to release at the end of 2020 it's way too early to show a full reveal.
I mean rt hardware on the chip, like what nividia did.

Status
Not open for further replies.