• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'm not insulting you but I'm am curious for the answer to that question? Why not debunk it though?
I don't share the vast majority of things I could, and what I do share I think carefully about, and is influenced by any number of factors, including how I know the information, how old it is, what impact sharing it may have, if i was asked a specific question, if I am just confirming or expanding on something (rather than announcing it), and so on.

I don't just hear things and rush online to tell everyone. I make choices, I have to.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
I don't share the vast majority of things I could, and what I do share I think carefully about, and is influenced by any number of factors, including how I know the information, how old it is, what impact sharing it may have, if I am just confirming or expanding on something (rather than announcing it), and so on.

I don't just hear things and rush online to tell everyone. I make choices, I have to.
You also need to protect your identity and that of those who are your sources for that information as well.

I think you do a good job at revealing information in a timely manner when it helps clear up misconceptions without being overly 'leaky'.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
You mean like " The only thing you gonna hear is 1080/60 on PS4? Or 4K gaming on pro and X? LMAO

I believe the wording was:
"There are two words you're going to hear a lot of when it comes to PS4 and together, they change the game:
1080p
60fps"

Not sure what their track record was (even 1st party) but I didn't particularly care about that either. Businesses say shit, news at 11.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Phil has been clear about this during their E3 conference (that behind the scenes dev talk). I think VRR will come into play but they have very clearly stated that the next gen standard is 4K60fps. Even Brad Sams second to last video, covered earlier heavily emphasized that aspect when he drew comparison to performances available on PC.

Personally, I really dislike PR pushing BS regardless of what company. If Sony comes out and says the same thing next year, it would indicate that perhaps it is going to be the standard across the board.

Phil can't speak on behalf of all developers and has never claimed to.

When he speaks of targets, it's in term of box capability. Much like the One X and 4K. That was the target and it mostly hit it. But it was never mandated.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
I believe the wording was:
"There are two words you're going to hear a lot of when it comes to PS4 and together, they change the game:
1080p
60fps"

Not sure what their track record was (even 1st party) but I didn't particularly care about that either. Businesses say shit, news at 11.

Exactly, PR shit.
I play the games and enjoy them. Period.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I don't share the vast majority of things I could, and what I do share I think carefully about, and is influenced by any number of factors, including how I know the information, how old it is, what impact sharing it may have, if i was asked a specific question, if I am just confirming or expanding on something (rather than announcing it), and so on.

Which is why some of us are grateful when you do share info .

On another note i love this thread lol.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

giphy.gif

That ain't it, bruh.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Oh. Well I'm sure you'll have no shortage of people willing to call them out regardless of what they do. I don't recall Phil promising that every 1stP game would be 4k/60 but I also don't care enough to click a link if provided, let alone go looking for it. Thanks for the follow up though!

Yes, he did not explicitly say that all first party games would be 4K60fps (in fact, realistically speaking, seeing what has transpired with base consoles over the generation, as devs squeeze more visual fidelity out of the system, the cost will inevitably come in the form of resolution and performance) but as aforementioned, he threw those sentences out there and they have been repeated by other outlets.

It is the reason why I directed a query to Brad Sams on whether he has heard 4K60fps being the baseline performance (perhaps at the least for their own first party titles, as Halo Infinite is already confirmed to be so).

You mean like " The only thing you gonna hear is 1080/60 on PS4? Or 4K gaming on pro and X? LMAO

I do not recall 1080p AND 60fps was ever a thing for base consoles; "1080p" was the promised metric and look how that turned out. When Pro was announced at the least Cerny explicitly outlined that it was going to be CB and not native. And yet there are 1080p ~60fps titles (like Rage 2) among others that run the gamut. MS made a huge deal out of X and 4K (not 4K and 60fps) and while there was RDR2, yet again, titles like Rage traded resolution for performance.

There is just so much needless bullshittery when it comes to marketing that muddies the water with setting "new standards".

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, he did not explicitly say that all first party games would be 4K60fps (in fact, realistically speaking, seeing what has transpired with base consoles over the generation, as devs squeeze more visual fidelity out of the system, the cost will inevitably come in the form of resolution and performance) but as aforementioned, he threw those sentences out there and they have been repeated by other outlets.

It is the reason why I directed a query to Brad Sams on whether he has heard 4K60fps being the baseline performance (perhaps at the least for their own first party titles, as Halo Infinite is already confirmed to be so).

I do not recall 1080p AND 60fps was ever a thing for base consoles; "1080p" was the promised metric and look how that turned out. When Pro was announced at the least Cerny explicitly outlined that it was going to be CB and not native. And yet there are 1080p ~60fps titles (like Rage 2) among others that run the gamut. MS made a huge deal out of X and 4K (not 4K and 60fps) and while there was RDR2, yet again, titles like Rage traded resolution for performance.

There is just so much needless bullshittery when it comes to marketing that muddies the water with setting "new standards".

Nah, it was a Tweet by Shahid Kamal Ahmad. The exact words were
"There are two words you're going to hear a lot of when it comes to PS4 and together, they change the game: 1080p 60fps" and again, I wasn't outraged when games didn't hit that metric.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
"There are two words you're going to hear a lot of when it comes to PS4 and together, they change the game: 1080p 60fps" and again, I wasn't outraged when games didn't hit that metric.

And now recently MS and Sony both mentioned 8K. So what to do? :D

When they mention a target spec it only means their box is capable, they ain't gonna make mandatory.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Thanks. I am not familiar if he is from Sony.

Regardless, I am not asking you to be outraged. I think we have become so accustomed to being fed hyperbolic ramifications to reflect supposed to tech specs that that attitude annoys me. The proof is in the pudding and is damn more suitable than feeding people what is analogous to bullshots of games during the PS2/3 Xbox OG/360 era.

Given how many folks on this forum (on gaming side) see themselves as enthusiasts, I am just surprised how not many folks assess how deeply embedded and consequently normalized this stuff has become over the years.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I just think that you saying you knew after the fact sort of rubs ppl the wrong way IMO. doesnt really accomplish anything besides getting ppl wondering why you didn't say anything in the first place the whole time. That's just my opinion. I personally don't care and haven't really been following these new consoles but I do know ppl get really invested in this stuff.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
60fps will never be the priority, im afraid

They will push the visuals to the limit again locking everything at 30, and why? The mass public loves a good blockbuster

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
You forget the HDD on the Scarlett. MS said officially on their E3 trailer that there will be a SSD and a HDD
Can you point to exactly where? I rewatched the E3 Scarlett video, and they never mention an HDD (nor do I remember that from my previous viewings).

this is all well and good, but can anyone verify if these consoles will indeed have the capability to "eat monsters for breakfast"? inquiring minds want to know the number of MEAPs! (Monster Eating Action Power)
Actually, due to the point above I just watched the Scarlett video from the official Xbox channel on Youtube. The "It eats monsters for breakfast" line at the end is edited out. (Also, Phil Spencer quotes are added at a couple points.)

Do not read anything into this. I just thought it was a funny coincidence with your question.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Matt, or anyone with insider information for that matter, is not obligated to share it with us. And if they do, if even one thing is slightly different from what they told us, they too often get a ton of shit for it. Look at what that Game Informer editor went through recently. Merely telling what he was told from developers first hand about the PS5 got him a heap of harassment online from salty console warriors. Who would want that headache?

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. I am not familiar if he is from Sony.

Regardless, I am not asking you to be outraged. I think we have become so accustomed to being fed hyperbolic ramifications to reflect supposed to tech specs that that attitude annoys me. The proof is in the pudding and is damn more suitable than feeding people what is analogous to bullshots of games during the PS2/3 Xbox OG/360 era.

Given how many folks on this forum (on gaming side) see themselves as enthusiasts, I am just surprised how not many folks assess how deeply embedded and consequently normalized this stuff has become over the years.

Well that's more to my point I guess. I'm all out of gas when it comes to caring what a company says, especially if it's something like this that wasn't even promised in any official capacity. Every now and then I'll feel a spark of caring (cross-play, the entire XB1 original vision, etc) but for the most part I understand marketing and the difference between something being possible and something being the expectation. Fight that good fight though. Nothing wrong with holding feet to fire when you feel a company has overstepped. Just keep that same energy.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I just think that you saying you knew after the fact sort of rubs ppl the wrong way IMO. doesnt really accomplish anything besides getting ppl wondering why you didn't say anything in the first place the whole time. That's just my opinion. I personally don't care and haven't really been following these new consoles but I do know ppl get really invested in this stuff.
...posters asked when this happened, and when people knew. I didn't volunteer that information unprompted.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Well that's more to my point I guess. I'm all out of gas when it comes to caring what a company says, especially if it's something like this that wasn't even promised in any official capacity. Every now and then I'll feel a spark of caring (cross-play, the entire XB1 original vision, etc) but for the most part I understand marketing and the difference between something being possible and something being the expectation. Fight that good fight though. Nothing wrong with holding feet to fire when you feel a company has overstepped. Just keep that same energy.

Yea, I get you. I mean people turn around defend these kinds of anti-consumer practices. The frog has well and truly become part of the broth now.

Cheers.

Yup...

No matter how much power in the machine, there's always a tradeoff when you want to hit 60FPS.

Indeed. 60fps is a design decision around which a game needs to be built. I have absolutely zero issues playing games at 30fps; I just wish corporations did not treat their potential consumer base as imbeciles.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, that's part of it too. I'm more inclined to be open if the information is, in my opinion, fairly obvious.

How do you feel about sharing opinions separate from revealing any insider info? As someone who knows the industry well, I'm curious to get your take on whether Microsoft's most promising way to gain console share is to allow a modest concession of power in the pursuit of a better price point (versus striving for the power crown at the possible expense of an equal or higher price point).

In other words, I think their only really good chance to gain ground is to come in at a lower price point than Sony, so long as it doesn't involve a significant power gap (e.g., 20% or more).

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

I think it did accomplish something. Both Matt and ZhugeEx's additional confirmation on top of what Brad Sams reported helped to solidify this piece of news. If it were just Brad Sams I'm sure we'd be getting a bunch of people who would say, "maybe his sources don't know" or something like that. Getting independent verification from two other respected sources is very useful and they helped us to understand it wasn't a very recent decision.

So now have info that Microsoft changed gears on their plans for Lockhart sometime either last year or early this year, and based on previous info we also know Sony changed their plans from a 2019 to a 2020 release date. I think whoever is angry that the insiders didn't share this info sooner need to get a grip and relax a bit.

SteamyPunk

Oct 26, 2017
It's crazy that if you're trying to be a journalist covering games right now you're basically forced to be a shill because of how badly you get attack by toxic fans if you say anything negative.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
It's crazy that if you're trying to be a journalist covering games right now you're basically forced to be a shill because of how badly you get attack by toxic fans if you say anything negative.

It's not even a matter of being negative. Even neutrality or trying to bring people back down to earth from unrealistic expectations gets people attacked.

It's rather insane.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Its good to see certain fanboys haven't changed even after a decade lol... and that's enough of that, shit is derailing the thread.

Now that is seems like both companies are going with single SKU then I think the consoles' APU will be nearly identical with differences coming down to amount of RAM and the type and size of SSD they are using.

Status
Not open for further replies.