• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
1.25x performance per clock.
1.5x performance per watt.

So if we look at the pro, their 4.2 Tflops gpu would actually be as powerful as a 5.25 tflops gpu AND they would be able to increase the clockspeeds from 911 mhz to 1366 mhz at the same time.

So if they still had 36 CUs at 1366 mhz you would get a 6.2 tflops gpu that would give you performance equivalent to a 7.75 tflops polaris gpu.

Since you also get 2.3x more space on the die, you could theoretically fit in 80 polaris CUs and run them at 1.36 ghz. But we don't think 80 cus or even 60 cus are possible because the CU make up has likely changed.

We will find out next week when amd reveals the makeup of CUs.
Thanks. Helpful info

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
so Sony has a storage technology which is more than 2x faster of the current or near future state of the art and costs, what? 50$ per TB... well, some receipt is definitely needed

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
That was an exemplary figure in one of the patent applications being referred to - just used for examples of timings you would need to achieve certain bandwidths. It shouldn't be taken as indicative of a real product.

Just your semi-frequent reminder that nothing is a dead-cert, patent applications or no, not least example numbers from those patents.

Believe me or not I don't have the speed but a friend working in the industry told when I show the patent, the technology for the SSD was discovered. He will not give the speed and broke his NDA. He just told if they could have something comparable on PS4 only 2.5 to 3 GB of RAM would have been ok for a game well-optimized*. He does not follow forum gaming internet and he was surprised and ask me if someone discovers something about the DualShock 5. On Sony side, they don't talk about SSD but parallel NAND technology.

For Dualshock 5, the technology is probably inside a Sony patent...

EDIT:*Less fast on PS4 because assets are smaller and less memory I think...

EDIT: I don't have insider information if I did not show Gofreak post he would not have talked about the SSD.

Last edited:

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like PS5 is going to be a monster in terms of bandwidth, which was NDs (and I'm sure many other Devs) sticking point this generation. Excited to see full specs for sure.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Believe me or not I don't have the speed but a friend working in the industry told when I show the patent, the technology for the SSD was discovered. He will not give the speed and broke his NDA. He just told if they could have something comparable on PS4 only 2.5 to 3 Mo of RAM would have been ok for a game well optimized. He does not follow forum gaming internet and he was surprised and ask me if someone discovers something about the DualShock 5. On Sony side, they don't talk about SSD but parallel NAND technology.

i kinda missed you here, 2.5 to 3 Mo of RAM? i am a bit confused.
Sounds like PS5 is going to be a monster in terms of bandwidth, which was NDs (and I'm sure many other Devs) sticking point this generation. Excited to see full specs for sure.
it was a huge issue for insomniac as well, especially because the HDD was replaceable so they needed to design the game with the slowest HDD they could find.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
You would imagine that at least one of Sony's developers will be working on a game that utilises the unique benefits of the superfast bandwidth. Imagine a game that is just insane and the tagline at the end is "Only possible on PlayStation 5". I'm excited to see how this benefits games and just generally excited for instant access, enough of loading screens in general.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
From the great tech peeps here can someone explain to me a layman what these new ryzen cpus means for gaming moving forward?

People are hyping it to be the biggest leap even bigger than the ps2 to ps3.
Honestly, I'm not holding my breath. I have a 1080ti gaming rig which is around 11TF. Biggest difference regarding the visuals from the Xbox One X is the higher framerates. While faster CPUs in consoles will push the whole industry forward it's not likely that the difference will be even close to how the hype goes here. And I doubt that the framerates will get any higher either, we'll se skin pores and individual strands of hair with physics before we see 60fps become a standard on consoles.
I think the biggest change will be seen in ray tracing, if the consoles can do that.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
You would imagine that at least one of Sony's developers will be working on a game that utilises the unique benefits of the superfast bandwidth. Imagine a game that is just insane and the tagline at the end is "Only possible on PlayStation 5". I'm excited to see how this benefits games and just generally excited for instant access, enough of loading screens in general.
i imagine god of war 2, where you can now use the portable bifrost to instantly teleport to a new realm. this will be so dope.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
i kinda missed you here, 2.5 to 3 Mo of RAM? i am a bit confused.

it was a huge issue for insomniac as well, especially because the HDD was replaceable so they needed to design the game with the slowest HDD they could find.

If we could have an SSD fast enough to have a ratio RAM/SSD speed as good than on PS5 2 to 3 GB of RAM would have been enough instead of 8GB of RAM for a game with good optimization on PS4.

EDIT: The SSD is fast enough for a game without big optimization to load a little slower than SSD on PC with RAMDISK.

EDIT: SSD is fast enough to have graphics nearly as good in Open world for an optimized game than a linear game.

Only things he told me...

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I'm watching that interview of Todd Howard now, it's quite good. Anyway, so as he says MS and Sony won't be screwing up at the starting line for next gen. But I'm sorry, if Sony ends up having a big advantage with their loading and streaming solution i definitely would call that MS screwing that part up. It's for sure gonna make a good amount of gamers change their console of choice, I sure will, especially when BGS games like TES and mainline Fallout games are very big reasons why I game.

And from what I'm reading the differences between the two could be quite significant and maybe even bigger than X VS Pro right now when it comes to how games look and perform.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
so Sony has a storage technology which is more than 2x faster of the current or near future state of the art and costs, what? 50$ per TB... well, some receipt is definitely needed
The cost part is interesting, because it requires less but faster RAM than a normal drive. It very well could be cheaper than a regular SSD in production, the downside is the years of engineering and it not being terribly useful outside of game consoles. If Sony sends all the controller stuff to a Ryzen CPU core instead of an embedded ARM chip, the speed/cost potential is even higher, with a little extra anxiety about stability. The usual dedicated OS core is probably overkill with a CPU that fast, probably no problem giving it an extra task. Iirc, the reason there's a dedicated core is for I/O encryption/decryption, so it might make a lot of sense to do it that way. I just don't remember if that was a possibility in the patent.

To echo gofreak's reminder, just because there's a patent doesn't mean they're using it. They could've run into issues making the low-level file system code stable for all we know.

edit:
I'm watching that interview of Todd Howard now, it's quite good. Anyway, so as he says MS and Sony won't be screwing up at the starting line for next gen. But I'm sorry, if Sony ends up having a big advantage with their loading and streaming solution i definitely would call that MS screwing that part up. It's for sure gonna make a good amount of gamers change their console of choice, I sure will, especially when BGS games like TES and mainline Fallout games are very big reasons why I game.
I wouldn't call it a screw up on MS's part if they've got a decent m.2 SSD in their system. They'd have longer loads and less streaming capability*, but it'll be in line with PC specs, so it'll be perfectly fine for everything running on the system. The only games it'd hold up is third-party console exclusives. The PS5 would be better in that regard for third-party games, but the Xbox might have other advantages.

*again, assuming the full potential of Sony's patent is reached.

Last edited:

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Believe me or not I don't have the speed but a friend working in the industry told when I show the patent, the technology for the SSD was discovered. He will not give the speed and broke his NDA. He just told if they could have something comparable on PS4 only 2.5 to 3 Mo of RAM would have been ok for a game well optimized. He does not follow forum gaming internet and he was surprised and ask me if someone discovers something about the DualShock 5. On Sony side, they don't talk about SSD but parallel NAND technology.

EDIT: Less fast on PS4 because assets are smaller and less memory I think...

Interesting chatter...although even taking it as true, I'm not sure it indicates a specific level of SSD bandwidth. I'd still urge caution and taking everything with a grain of salt :)

Taking Cerny's comments, I'd expect something north of 3.5GB/s (the typical PCi3 standard). Anything significantly north of 5GB/s seems to start straying into too-good-to-be-true territory IMO. Would love to be wrong, but I'll keep my expectations down there.

Whatever the bandwidth number, if it's high enough for devs to start tinkering about with traditional speed/space assumptions and tradeoffs, that would be exciting though.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Interesting chatter...although even taking it as true, I'm not sure it indicates a specific level of SSD bandwidth. I'd still urge caution and taking everything with a grain of salt :)

Taking Cerny's comments, I'd expect something north of 3.5GB/s (the typical PCi3 standard). Anything significantly north of 5GB/s seems to start straying into too-good-to-be-true territory IMO. Would love to be wrong, but I'll keep my expectations down there.

Whatever the bandwidth, if it's high enough for devs to start tinkering about with traditional speed/space assumptions and tradeoffs, that would be exciting though.

I correct the typo, this is 2 to 3 GB of ram. Imo I think the speed of the SSD help them to use a different memory setup with HBCC.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I think a lot of people are putting too much faith in patents that get thrown away often & too little faith in Microsoft, i bet both of them just throw in a 1TB NVME SSD & call it a day. They could buy them in bulk super cheap from the likes of Samsung.
I can't see MS letting Sony one up them on loading times so easily.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I think a lot of people are putting too much faith in patents that get thrown away often & too little faith in Microsoft, i bet both of them just throw in a 1TB NVME SSD & call it a day. They could buy them in bulk super cheap from the likes of Samsung.

It is someone I know for 14 years. I have full confidence in this guy. He is now in his forties and works for years in the videogame industry. And Lisa Su herself told it is a proprietary solution. My allegation will be easy to verify when the PS5 is revealed with the SSD and DualShock 5. I just hope he did not lie to me but I don't believe it one second...

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It is someone I know for 14 years. I have full confidence in this guy. He is now in his forties and works for years in the videogame industry. And Lisa Su herself told it is a proprietary solution. My allegation will be easy to verify when the PS5 is revealed with the SSD and DualShock 5. I just hope he did not lie to me...
That's fair enough then, still im sure Microsoft will have their own unique solution if that is the case. if MS doesn't however, i guess i can be right in another way of Lockhart holding back multiplats lol.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Still using 14gb's of GDDR6? that's disappointing. Also calling it the Ti means we can say goodbye to a $400 2070.
Turing isn't bandwidth hungry as GCN, the 2080RTX has 14Gb memory that gives 448GB/s of bandwidth and it's a 10TF GPU so the same 448GB/s will be more than enough for the 2070 TI. Regarding price, the rumor is that the 2070RTX will drop to 399$, the 2070TI (or Super) will be 499$ and the 2080RTX will drop to 599$. If true then it's a move to undermine Navi. The Sapphire guys said that Navi will be priced 399$ and 499$ and AMD showed us that the 5700 performance is just under the 2070RTX so basically NVIDIA will be making Navi DOA with a 399$ 2070RTX and 499$ 2070TI.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Turing isn't bandwidth hungry as GCN, the 2080RTX has 14Gb memory that gives 448GB/s of bandwidth and it's a 10TF GPU so the same 448GB/s will be more than enough for the 2070 TI. Regarding price, the rumor is that the 2070RTX will drop to 399$, the 2070TI (or Super) will be 499$ and the 2080RTX will drop to 599$. If true then it's a move to undermine Navi. The Sapphire guys said that Navi will be priced 399$ and 499$ and AMD showed us that the 5700 performance is just under the 2070RTX so basically NVIDIA will be making Navi DOA with a 399$ 2070RTX and 499$ 2070TI.
RIP AMD, well at least they got the Consoles to save them.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
It is someone I know for 14 years. I have full confidence in this guy. He is now in his forties and works for years in the videogame industry. And Lisa Su herself told it is a proprietary solution. My allegation will be easy to verify when the PS5 is revealed with the SSD and DualShock 5. I just hope he did not lie to me but I don't believe it one second...
wait, you have kind of inside information regarding the sony implementation with their ssd?

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
wait, you have kind of inside information regarding the sony implementation with their ssd?

I just say they use the technology in the patent Gofreak discover maybe they use a bomb to kill a little bird and the SSD speed is only 4 Gb/s but so much effort for so little speed. I just know the speed is between 1 GB/S and 20 GB/S like in the patent.

And the DS5 technology is inside a Sony patent somewhere...

EDIT: True professional don't break their NDA, he talks about it seeing the patent and the Gofreak explanation but did not give speed of the SSD for example.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018
You was expecting 18tf console ?

No. Did I give that impression? I'm expecting 12TFLOPS as the higher ceiling for Anaconda or PS5... Vega TFLOPS... current TFLOPS?... GCN TFLOPS LOL

Was told they are expected to talk in multiple % terms of performance gains, IE 2x,3x,4x,

So XB1S - 4x performance for Lockhart, 2x of XB1X for Anaconda.

This was hard info to lock down mostly becuase I dont think Microsoft fully knows yet, they just started getting production samples from AMD and performance output can vary widely right now with simple things like adjustments to clock speeds etc. Among those talked to, who absolutely would know this information, these performance figures were the consuses of the group.

Thank you for coming in and expanding on it!

I wonder if they'll be showing the improvements of an SSD like Sony's been doing with Spider-Man or perhaps commenting on ray tracing, although I understand how they'd rather keep quiet regarding these matters.

Hahaha... fuck. I'm just hoping a pricing battle is upon us rather than a quick defeat for AMD, but this is looking like a Vega 56 and Vega 64 scenario once again.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
RIP AMD, well at least they got the Consoles to save them.
It's still just a rumor :)

If we could have an SSD fast enough to have a ratio RAM/SSD speed as good than on PS5 2 to 3 GB of RAM would have been enough instead of 8GB of RAM for a game with good optimization on PS4.

EDIT: The SSD is fast enough for a game without big optimization to load a little slower than SSD on PC with RAMDISK.

EDIT: SSD is fast enough to have graphics nearly as good in Open world for an optimized game than a linear game.

Only things he told me...
I'm not sure we should be promoting the idea of SSD instead of RAM volume.
1) Even a 5GB/s SSD (which qualifies as the fastest PC SSD ever in April 2019 when Cerny said that) will be ~100 times slower than GDDR6.
2) SSD random read speeds are ~15% of sequential read speeds. So even a 5GB/s SSD will drop to ~0.75GB/s if the data isn't perfectly sequential. So we might get back to data duplication and even that won't be able to prevent non-sequential reads.

The SSD is there to feed a big memory pool and feed it fast, not replace it. I do agree that the part of the memory that is used as a "just in case buffer" won't be needed anymore but I doubt if freeing that space will save much memory, definitely not in the volume of GigaBytes. We should see the SSD as a beautiful companion to a big RAM pool, not a replacement.

Last edited:

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
1) Even a 5GB/s SSD (which qualifies as the fastest PC SSD ever in April 2019 when Cerny said that) will be ~100 times slower than GDDR6.
2) SSD random read speeds are ~15% of sequential read speeds. So even a 5GB/s SSD will drop to ~0.75GB/s if the data isn't perfectly sequential. So we might get back to the data duplication and even that won't be able to prevent non-sequential reads.

The SSD is there to feed a big memory pool and feed it fast, not replace it. I do agree that the part of the memory that is used as a "just in case buffer" won't be needed anymore but I doubt if freeing that space will save much memory, definitely not in volume of Giga Bytes.

Game files are big and organized for sequential read even on HDD. If they reduce the size for the allocation table this is because games use big files. After it did not mean game developer does not need to organize the data for installation on SSD. It will help without needing duplication data and no problem like HDD fragmentation too but they will need to optimize the data with less constraint than on an HDD but the constraint exists.

Last edited:

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
RDNA is completly new ( alone the indication that it scales down to smartphone chips says all) plus AMD devs have already told, that RDNA is a new microarchitecture, but is also able to execute GCN ISA ;-)
A. The fact that Samsung is licensing some graphics IP from AMD doesn't mean that RDNA can scale down to smartphone chips.

B. Even if it can it's doesn't tell us anything on how "new" RDNA is compared to GCN.

Consider that smallest GCN chip (Cape Verde) is made of ~1.5B transistors and had a TDP of just 47W on 40nm process.
Apple's A12 SoC is made of 6.9B transistors (that's 4.6X more than Cedar) of which about 1/3 to 1/2 is the GPU - meaning that you can easily make a mobile GCN(1) GPU on modern day production process, no need for anything "new".

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
2) SSD random read speeds are ~15% of sequential read speeds. So even a 5GB/s SSD will drop to ~0.75GB/s if the data isn't perfectly sequential. So we might get back to the data duplication and even that won't be able to prevent non-sequential reads.

The SSD is there to feed a big memory pool and feed it fast, not replace it. I do agree that the part of the memory that is used as a "just in case buffer" won't be needed anymore but I doubt if freeing that space will save much memory, definitely not in volume of Giga Bytes.
That's where the proprietary stuff (IO, sram, custom filesystem) does its additionnal magic. It's not only about SSD speed. From the patent they expect from 1MB/s to 20MB/s real bandwidth, not theoretical. Of course they wouldn't disclose the exact numbers in a patent...

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Is it normal to not know how many flops your console will be this late? We're like a year away from launch.

Sony and MS engineers are still undecided on the exact TF they will deliver. They are still busy making their way through this thread to figure it out but every time they settle on a figure we change our minds.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I feel the first specs leak from sony is very close. Developers are starting to be a little more... open... about the plans.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
And you never use full memory for display one frame, the faster the SSD is the faster you can have data fast enough to not preload the data long time advance in the system. It will never be the data on screen but maybe the data useful some few frame later.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Sony and MS engineers are still undecided on the exact TF they will deliver. They are still busy making their way through this thread to figure it out but every time they settle on a figure we change our minds.
giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
And you never use full memory for display one frame, the faster the SSD is the faster you can have data fast enough to not preload the data in the system. It will never be the data on screen but maybe the data useful some frame later.

Yup. On average, half to 2/3rds of the contents in memory get like 90% of the hits. That's how, through HBCC, AMD was able to halve memory required for a game with a really tiny hit to perf (modded version of Deus Ex, IIRC).

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. On average, half to 2/3rds of the contents in memory get like 90% of the hits. That's how, through HBCC, AMD was able to halve memory required for a game with a really tiny hit to perf (modded version of Deus Ex, IIRC).
That's how some games use VRAM for caching assets which HBCC may take advantage of spilling this cache into system RAM while having less VRAM on the GPU. The catch is that a) if such caching will in fact come into play - as in the cached data will be required for some frame - you'll get a frametime spike as HBCC will have to load the data from system RAM over PCIE. And b) it's essentially how modern engines work without any HBCC anyway. Hence why there never really was many benefits from HBCC in practice.

Saying that fast storage would allow to render the same assets with less V/RAM is a bit misleading. Streaming would work a lot faster and would thus need less V/RAM to precache assets from storage as you would need to keep less of them in V/RAM at any given moment. But you would trade some GBs of relatively cheap DRAM for a rather expensive high speed NAND storage and that would give you essentially the same visual result for a higher price of the hardware unit. The only reason I see for adding such storage is to provide user experience benefits which would be otherwise impossible to achieve, not save on system RAM size as such savings would likely not be savings at all.

cjn83

Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Nothing. Because they aren't. The predictions in this thread are based on guesses of Navi performance based on the benchmarks and leaks we have so far. We have card TDPs that line up with card TDPs already used in equivalent console GPUs, and we have leaks that suggest GPU clocks could be up to 1800 MHz. There's 0 need to compare to any Nvidia cards at this point.

We're only missing CU and clocks on Navi, but we already know die size from pictures, so we can reasonably guess the CU count. This is how we got to the 9-12TF numbers floating around in the thread now.

Yes, Navi, but what about the scaling to consoles? Like this then, let's get rid of Nvidia. AMD's GPUs which released alongside the PS4 in the winter of 2013/2014 was the Rx 200 series. The top end card was at 5.6 TFLOPs (250W), whereas what went in to the PS4 was at 1.8 TFLOPs. So the PS4 had roughly a third of the TFLOPs from the best performing card in the range. With the same scaling this time, for a 12 TFLOP PS5, we'd need consumer AMD cards at 36 TFLOPs by next year.

I'm really just noting that the PS4 got a modest GPU compared to what was available for the desktop market at that time, whereas the expectations here are on a seriously high performing one. Could happen! But with higher prices now, higher power draws etc, I just don't know how realistic it is.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, Navi, but what about the scaling to consoles? Like this then, let's get rid of Nvidia. AMD's GPUs which released alongside the PS4 in the winter of 2013/2014 was the Rx 200 series. The top end card was at 5.6 TFLOPs (250W), whereas what went in to the PS4 was at 1.8 TFLOPs. So the PS4 had roughly a third of the TFLOPs from the best performing card in the range. With the same scaling this time, for a 12 TFLOP PS5, we'd need consumer AMD cards at 36 TFLOPs by next year.
You have to count production processes, wafer prices, relative die sizes and transistor complexities into such comparisons. What PS4 got in comparison to the GPU of a top end AMD card of its time says little about what PS5 may get in comparison to a mid range AMD card (RX5700 isn't top end) of a previous year (PS5 isn't launching in 2019).

Status
Not open for further replies.