• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I would gladly drop $1000 on a super high end console that doesnt get replaced by mid season upgrades and would last me the full life of next gen.

And yes I have a nice gaming PC but will play first person shooters on console because I see too many hackers on PC and even 1 every couple of nights is too many.
You sure they are hacking? some people are just really fucking good, Blizzard had to tell people to stop reporting on OW because 99% reports of hackers were just people who play 24/7.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had you read what was in the quote? It is now 4x Anaconda and 2x Lockhart !!!

I'm inclined to believe this rumor more than the ridiculous 4-6tflops figure.

No dev kit leaks have mentioned two profiles so far other than the chalkboard leak which means the second 24 tflops dev kit is simply the pro version releasing alongside the base version for hardcore gamers. I certainly wouldnt mind paying $599-699 for a 20 tflops console.

Base console will compete with the ps5 at the same price and the 20 tflops will be something Sony simply can't match. This will explain why Phil was so damn sure about the performance advantage. He no longer cares about the price.

I was always going to buy both consoles but if ms makes a 20 tflops console i will buy into the whole eco system and leave ps+ behind. Keep the ps5 only for exclusives. suspect I'm not the only one.

I say Bring on $699. What do they have to lose if they already have a powerful console at $499 to compete with Sony

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Watch the lockhart be neck and neck with the ps5 and the anaconda the premium console for $200 more. lol

now that would be the funniest shit ever

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Watch the lockhart be neck and neck with the ps5 and the anaconda the premium console for $200 more. lol

That would be kinda reasonable actually.

What if the Lockhart and the PS5 had the exact same specs (albeit a few minor clock adjustments) and the Anaconda was basically a mid gen refresh released on launch instead as the ultimate premium experience.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Yes when he said this, it was reported the same in the article, but now it is changed. That's the point why I made a comment!

See:
ClgVoyz.png

anexanhume
Had you made a screenshot when you shares the link to the article in its original state, or just copy/pasted the quote?
Probably multiples of the same base in the article. Which Sams specified in other terms here.

4x S with Anaconda
2x S with Lockhart.

weak snek

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
I'm inclined to believe this rumor more than the ridiculous 4-6tflops figure.

No dev kit leaks have mentioned two profiles so far other than the chalkboard leak which means the second 24 tflops dev kit is simply the pro version releasing alongside the base version for hardcore gamers. I certainly wouldnt mind paying $599-699 for a 20 tflops console.

Base console will compete with the ps5 at the same price and the 20 tflops will be something Sony simply can't match. This will explain why Phil was so damn sure about the performance advantage. He no longer cares about the price.

I was always going to buy both consoles but if ms makes a 20 tflops console i will buy into the whole eco system and leave ps+ behind. Keep the ps5 only for exclusives. suspect I'm not the only one.

I say Bring on $699. What do they have to lose if they already have a powerful console at $499 to compete with Sony

I'm hoping there's an /s missing somewhere cause that's nutty, even for you.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
That would be kinda reasonable actually.

What if the Lockhart and the PS5 had the exact same specs (albeit a few minor clock adjustments) and the Anaconda was basically a mid gen refresh released on launch instead as the ultimate premium experience.
id be down for that. regardless of the specs on each console, i was always aiming for the higher end xbox because of my gwg library, gamepass and love for some 1p games i've grown up with. i reallly love my X and i can't wait for anaconda. i'm also super excited to see the work for ps5 and those 1p titles. they always blow me away with their creativity and their attention to detail.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Yes when he said this, it was reported the same in the article, but now it is changed. That's the point why I made a comment!

See:
ClgVoyz.png

anexanhume
Had you made a screenshot when you shares the link to the article in its original state, or just copy/pasted the quote?

Having somewhat read the article, this also immediately caught my eye. Seems like a typo. Otherwise it makes zero sense within the context of the author's previous post a few pages back.

HesienbergSHO

Banned
Dec 29, 2018
You sure they are hacking? some people are just really fucking good, Blizzard had to tell people to stop reporting on OW because 99% reports of hackers were just people who play 24/7.

I was playing PUBG running into the next zone and a guy came running past me going about as fast as a vehicle then turned and headshot me, pretty sure he was hacking.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping there's an /s missing somewhere cause that's nutty, even for you.
I think releasing a 4tflops console in 2020 is nutty but that's just me.

$699 console won't hurt anyone because the base version would be comparable to the ps5 version at the same price.

I really don't see why anyone other than Sony fanboys upset over losing the tflops war will have any issues with this. It's a pro console released alongside the base console. Despite all the hoopla over the pro on gaf when it was first released, people came around to it because they realized that it had zero impact on the base ps4.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do you think vanilla Zen2 ,as it seems,doesn't support it?To keep the cost down?

AMD might be doing it for market segmentation. Maybe AVX512 will be only enabled in their Zen2 based EPYC line. That would mean there's no physical reason AVX512 support couldn't be included in PS5.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Having somewhat read the article, this also immediately caught my eye. Seems like a typo. Otherwise it makes zero sense within the context of the author's previous post a few pages back.

Maybe the 2x and 4x is in comparison to ps4 PRO?

I think releasing a 4tflops console in 2020 is nutty but that's just me.

$699 console won't hurt anyone because the base version would be comparable to the ps5 version at the same price.

I really don't see why anyone other than Sony fanboys upset over losing the tflops war will have any issues with this. It's a pro console released alongside the base console. Despite all the hoopla over the pro on gaf when it was first released, people came around to it because they realized that it had zero impact on the base ps4.

4TF console was never on the table.

I think we had this discussion last time. You're bringing up fanboys and being defensive for absolutely no reason. It's not a case of being upset over losing a "tflop war", it's about "speculation" that borders on fantasy.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
There is a hardware decompressor in the Sony patent and a secondary CPU probably an ARM CPU for manage the SSD... The Zen 2 CPU just ask for the data, wait and receive the data, nothing more. The GPU have nothing to do with the SSD management and data decompression...

Everything is perfect in the patent it is the result of two years of work...

Edit: And no one out of developer know the speed maybe it is 4 of 5GB/s maybe 10 GB/s or maybe 20 GB/s
No matter how fast your decompression is, you will never be able to process 5GB/s. I haven't read the entire Sony patent but we are seeing PCIe 4.0 SSDs that have been announced and most of them are ~5GB/s max theoretical speed. Let's be honest with ourselves, the PS5 is a console and it will have something akin to a buffed up low-mid range SSD, patents and all. ~5GB/s is what we should expect, anything more than that will be amazing for a console and combined with decompression, you just can't use the SSD as memory and it will not be able to feed the memory fast enough. It's an amazing HDD, not a replacement for more memory.

All I'm saying is that you are over positive in an unrealistic manner. Before you've edited your message you've said that anything under 10GB/s will be a waste of effort, that's crazy. You need some more Colbert in you :)

If the consoles are 1) sold at a loss of $100 and 2) sold at $500 they have plenty of money to fork out for ~24Gb RAM.

I think the 8Gb of RAM in the PS4 was $80. They have an extra $200 budget to spent if they sell at $100 loss and $500. So if $160 is the cost of 24Gb they can put that in and still have an extra $40 to spend on the rest.

Not sure whether they will go GDDR6 or HBM but again, like the 8TF people, there is no way next gen consoles have 16Gb RAM.
That 160$ figure is way out of proportion, it will never cost them 160$. Do you know how everyone got to that number? From this story. They took the 11.69$ figure, added the 40% discount and multiplied by 24. That is obviously very far from what Sony and Microsoft will get because:
1) These are January 2019 prices, not Summer 2020 prices. GDDR6 is very new and DRAM prices have been on a free fall in the past year, GDDR6 will be much cheaper than 160$ in 2020.
2) Why even use the highest price in the table? 13Gbps cost 9.25$ per GB in the article, so that's 133$ BEFORE the DRAM price drops. 24GB of 13Gbps GDDR6 results in 624GB/s, that's probably higher than any of us expect in the PS5.

So please forget about the 160$ price point for 24GB, people here recite it but it's not true. It will probably be closer to 100$ or 110$ if in January 2019 it was 133$, just a few dollars more than the PS4's 88$ per 8GB of GDDR5.

Last edited:

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love a 699+ console if it packs all the crazy tech around. A true beast till next next gen.

Doubt that day will come though.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Omg. What if the Xbox One S is the low end, Xbox One X is a little higher, lockhart is on par with PS5, and then Anaconda is high end and all games come to all consoles for the entire generation.

Microsoft would basically have all different performance tiers of consoles. The Steam Machine done right.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017

I would love this. Have Xbox One X be the "low end" for next generation, don't launch a next gen system with it expected to be the "low end" console. Hell isn't the One X expected to get an official price drop to $350 soon? And by next year when the new consoles drop it should be lower. That should be the budget option for next gen. Lockhart should be base next gen console around PS5, and Anaconda should be their enthusiast option.

nss

Apr 10, 2018
And here I am just hoping both consoles would be within ~5-10% of each other, so that the platform wars would end

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think we had this discussion last time. You're bringing up fanboys and being defensive for absolutely no reason. It's not a case of being upset over losing a "tflo" war", it's about "speculation" that borders on fantasy.
That's just revisionist history. 4tflops had many defenders until the latest whiteboard leak which set it at 5.5 tflops.

If you are going to call someone nutty, expect them to get defensive. It's only natural. You also haven't bothered to list exactly why my speculation is fantasy, just a blanket'wrong' like trump. You had two posts to do it and failed to come up with a reason so i had to speculate just exactly why someone would get so butthurt over my speculation going as far as to call it nuts. The only logical explanation was fanboyism since its not like i pulled a spinningbirdkick and put the 24 tflops console at a cheaper price than a ps5 and Have it be more powerful. That's nutty.

Expecting to pay $200 extra for a bigger gpu isnt.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I would love this. Have Xbox One X be the "low end" for next generation, don't launch a next gen system with it expected to be the "low end" console. Hell isn't the One X expected to get an official price drop to $350 soon? And by next year when the new consoles drop it should be lower. That should be the budget option for next gen. Lockhart should be base next gen console around PS5, and Anaconda should be their enthusiast option.
I think this is it. /thread guys. We solved the xbox side of things.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

I think we had this discussion last time. You're bringing up fanboys and being defensive for absolutely no reason. It's not a case of being upset over losing a "tflop war", it's about "speculation" that borders on fantasy.

A few pages back he wrote the following (which made sense):

Was told they are expected to talk in multiple % terms of performance gains, IE 2x,3x,4x,

So XB1S - 4x performance for Lockhart, 2x of XB1X for Anaconda.

This was hard info to lock down mostly becuase I dont think Microsoft fully knows yet, they just started getting production samples from AMD and performance output can vary widely right now with simple things like adjustments to clock speeds etc. Among those talked to, who absolutely would know this information, these performance figures were the consuses of the group.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Cheap DRAM, GDDR6 is expensive on console and be able to use less GDDR6 and another type of cheaper memory on HBCC memory setup is huge. And GDDR6 have bigger power consumption than DDR4.

12 Gb of GDDR6 will be as expensive as the 8Gb of GDDR5 in PS4 and 24 GB will cost approximatively the double of GDDR5 in PS4.

The RAM will be the most expensive part of the console again like on PS4 and needing more RAM without been able to use HBM is an added problem for TDP of console.
Yeah and this high speed NAND flash will be even more expensive than GDDR6 since you'll definitely need several times more of it for it to be any kind of a caching storage. So again, you're trading kinda expensive DRAM for an even more expensive NAND. I'd imagine that having more RAM is a better option for system's flexibility too.

Anyway, what are we discussing here? I don't think that the presence of NAND flash storage will affect PS5's RAM size much - it will still be considerably higher than that of PS4. Which means that we'll get both improvements anyway.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
Holy shit, we're in 24 tflops territory now! 😂
This fucking thread...

Microsoft would lose in a flash; they'd hand the generation to Sony by doing that. Having a console that is cheaper, but weaker (lockhart) and a console that has essentially 2 times the GPU power of the PS5 (anaconda) but is significantly more expensive, isn't smart... People will just opt for a PS5. No one is going to fully utilize a 24 tflops console. Why? It will never sell the amounts needed. I'd applaud it though... Heck I'd spend over $799 for something like that, but I'm in the minority.

I honestly don't think there will be a significant difference between the anaconda and the PS5.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I still think they will do a Pro upgrade even if that's the case, it will be quite profitable to sell a $500 8k Console in 2024.

People seem to forget they will do a mid gen upgrade no matter how powerful the base console is .
For one it raise the ASP of the console and revenue .
Second tech will always advance and once they able to they will do it .
It also for trying to keep people in there ecosystem .

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit, we're in 24 tflops territory now! 😂
This fucking thread...

Microsoft would lose in a flash; they'd hand the generation to Sony by doing that. Having a console that is cheaper, but weaker (lockhart) and a console that has essentially 2 times the GPU power of the PS5 (anaconda) but is significantly more expensive, isn't smart... People will just opt for a PS5. No one is going to fully utilize a 24 tflops console. Why? It will never sell the amounts needed. I'd applaud it though... Heck I'd spend over $799 for something like that, but I'm in the minority.

I honestly don't think there will be a significant difference between the anaconda and the PS5.

I don't either. Im stuck on $399 8-10TF island. For PS5 that is.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Yeah and this high speed NAND flash will be even more expensive than GDDR6 since you'll definitely need several times more of it for it to be any kind of a caching storage. So again, you're trading kinda expensive DRAM for an even more expensive NAND. I'd imagine that having more RAM is a better option for system's flexibility too.

Anyway, what are we discussing here? I don't think that the presence of NAND flash storage will affect PS5's RAM size much - it will still be considerably higher than that of PS4. Which means that we'll get both improvements anyway.
PS5 having all this tech plus ray tracing apparently makes me think it's gonna be $599 like PS3. I can't see how they can do all of this for $499 without taking big losses. Sony rely on their gaming division to not be in the red or else their company is gonna be in trouble.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
That's just revisionist history. 4tflops had many defenders until the latest whiteboard leak which set it at 5.5 tflops.

If you are going to call someone nutty, expect them to get defensive. It's only natural. You also haven't bothered to list exactly why my speculation is fantasy, just a blanket'wrong' like trump. You had two posts to do it and failed to come up with a reason so i had to speculate just exactly why someone would get so butthurt over my speculation going as far as to call it nuts. The only logical explanation was fanboyism since its not like i pulled a spinningbirdkick and put the 24 tflops console at a cheaper price than a ps5 and Have it be more powerful. That's nutty.

Expecting to pay $200 extra for a bigger gpu isnt.

Every revision of your predictions seems to include an edit based on the most recent rumor/article/leak/etc. You give almost every rumor validity then project that validity to others. If the 4Tf has no valid reasoning behind it, your argument of it being defended goes out the window, right? People DEFEDNING the idea that 4tf is possible DOES NOT make it a reality. It does not mean that was ever an option with the people making decisions.

If you are going to call someone nutty, expect them to get defensive. It's only natural. You also haven't bothered to list exactly why my speculation is fantasy, just a blanket'wrong' like trump. You had two posts to do it and failed to come up with a reason so i had to speculate just exactly why someone would get so butthurt over my speculation going as far as to call it nuts.

We're adults. I don't expect anyone even half my age to be upset because I use the word nutty to describe a prediction that most would automatically take in jest. Me saying your prediction is nutty is not an attack on you.

Does pointing out you suggested a 24Tf NAVI chip warrant any other reasons? Let's just sit back and wait for that 24Tf NAVI. that's 30 VEGA Tf if we follow the ERA calculator, that will probably need to be under 200w. Does that read like a plausible outcome for anything that would go into a console int he next 12-18 months?

Last edited:

Engin

Oct 25, 2017
The fastest gaming gpu right now is far away from 24tflops... calm down guys 😂 dream big but not dumb

Florin4k4

Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Omg. What if the Xbox One S is the low end, Xbox One X is a little higher, lockhart is on par with PS5, and then Anaconda is high end and all games come to all consoles for the entire generation.

Microsoft would basically have all different performance tiers of consoles. The Steam Machine done right.

That would be the worst possible scenario. Imagine making a game that has to run on the S while also pushing the boundries on the anaconda. It would be a nightmare to develop on and would hold back the potential of next gen games.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
That would be the worst possible scenario. Imagine making a game that has to run on the S while also pushing the boundries on the anaconda. It would be a nightmare to develop on and would hold back the potential of next gen games.

Are you talking for every developer out there because you are one yourself that develops for each platform?

all this talk about holding back this gen, i dont i ever seen any article about the switch holding back a game. the xbox one holding back a game that launched on the pro or x. why are you so afraid? did the 360/ps3 hold back games they made for the ps4 and one when they launched? *gasp*

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every revision of your predictions seems to include an edit based on the most recent rumor/article/leak/etc.
You might be confusing me with colbert. I don't make any revisions, i have stubbornly stuck with a 14 tflops PS5 prediction for months until just now when we saw the latest navi die size and CU count and it seems the 14 tflops dream might be dead.

anyway, dont mind me. no harm no foul. we will see next year what the big navi chip can do, but they usually end up doubling the tflops count in desktop gpus compared to console APUs.

the new navi chip is only 255mm2 which is roughly half the size of the vega 56 and 64 chips. all the big RTX cards also over 425 mm2. you can do a lot with a 7nm die when it comes to adding CUs. it would be really silly if RDNA still has a 64 CU limit.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you talking for every developer out there because you are one yourself that develops for each platform?

all this talk about holding back this gen, i dont i ever seen any article about the switch holding back a game. the xbox one holding back a game that launched on the pro or x. why are you so afraid? did the 360/ps3 hold back games they made for the ps4 and one when they launched? *gasp*
Yeah, Destiny came to mind. Also Shadows of Mordor needed to have a separate version for PS3 and 360.

Think the problem will be GaaS games though, especially with cross platform needing the games to have parity. Single player games should have less problems.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Destiny came to mind. Also Shadows of Mordor needed to have a separate version for PS3 and 360.

Think the problem will be GaaS games though, especially with cross platform needing the games to have parity. Single player games should have less problems.

There also FFXIV which drop PS3 support .
Truth is if the CPUs were not so much crap in XB1 or PS4 things would not be that bad.
This of course not counting moving on from HDDs.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017

What was the deal with Destiny? I did a quick google search and it was noted by forbes that the 360/ps3 version had lesser features, like inventory space or something, not where the ps4/xbox one was held back to have continuity between them.

Separate proves my point that they did more on the ps4/xbox one and it wasnt held back to look exact the same as ps3/360.

Cl0ud7

Oct 26, 2018
If we could have an SSD fast enough to have a ratio RAM/SSD speed as good than on PS5 2 to 3 GB of RAM would have been enough instead of 8GB of RAM for a game with good optimization on PS4.

EDIT: The SSD is fast enough for a game without big optimization to load a little slower than SSD on PC with RAMDISK.

EDIT: SSD is fast enough to have graphics nearly as good in Open world for an optimized game than a linear game.

Only things he told me...
So the 8GB HBM2+DDR4 has all the sense now right?

Status
Not open for further replies.