• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
So you are taking 225w TBP card with a 251mm^2 die, adding 35% more CUs, adding RT and other "special sauce" silicon, adding more memory controllers (Scarlet has at least a 320-bit interface if we counted 10 or 12 chips in the CGI clip) and still running it at 1800Mhz which is higher than the 5700 XT average gaming speed? Sounds like the most optimistic permutation we could get in a next-gen console.

I don't like this conversation, the X is one impressive feat. Sony was limited to 36CUs because the PS4 had 18CU and BC scared them. Microsoft went all out. In the end you have over the shelf PC parts and you have to do the best you can with them with some customization. 50% more memory, 50% more memory bandwidth, a freaking 382-bit interface in a console, almost 50% more GPU power, 10% faster CPU while being the same size, quieter and made on the same manufacturing node as the Pro. Common, don't downplay the X, it's a wonderful piece of hardware.

I'm actually not 100% sure, but I remember Phil Spencer saying that Scarlet dev kits aren't out for developers yet in the Gaint Bomb interview. So I wonder, if dev kits aren't out yet, who outside Microsoft knows the Scarlet specs and how can they know both the Scarlet specs AND the PS5 specs in order to tell which is more powerful?
Spencer actually said they were working to get dev-kits out, but gave no indication they hadn't started yet.

I only saw this narrative of Scarlet dev-kits not being available after the Reiner tweets.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your logic here is that they can't confirm or deny because there might be another console in the works.
So, why couldn't this console be the one that was widely leaked and talked about.

There's no reason to believe Lockhart doesn't exist, especially since MS could very easily deny it.

I'm not saying it doesn't exist or it didn't exist at some point.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Some more into how did I land with stream processors in my most recent prediction after E3:

With the new RDNA architecture the old ways to design the GPU wasn't anymore. Less and wider Shader Engines. So I asked myself in what steps you could actually expand the number of CUs without producing gaps in die space that potentially would end up as dark silicon.

My result is shown with the below picture.

Setup A shows a possible design with up to 22 WGPs (48 CUs) but as usually I assume 1 WGP deactived per SE for yield purposes. This is a valid setup but I expect both platform holders will go for more.

The result was the next possible step in expanding the GPU: Setup B.

Btw, the inactive WGPs (IA) were picked randomly.

0bwy1IO.png
Nice illustration. I think a consequence of the stratified cache structure will be more granular flexibility in organization as you illustrate here.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
One cool thing about the Tom's Hardware article about the Navi TDPs is that we have now very trustworthy and well-defined metrics for 14gbps GGDR6 modules (2W per module) and what they consider the average VRM efficiency (85%-ish).

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright. But you'll have to explain what happens in term of power consumption.
Because as of right now, RX5700 XT is the only one that fits the bill and it offers between VEGA64 performances for around 150W. Where do you expect them to land performance wise and at what power consumption ?
So you are taking 225w TBP card with a 251mm^2 die, adding 35% more CUs, adding RT and other "special sauce" silicon, adding more memory controllers (Scarlet has at least a 320-bit interface if we counted 10 or 12 chips in the CGI clip) and still running it at 1800Mhz which is higher than the 5700 XT average gaming speed? Sounds like the most optimistic permutation we could get in a next-gen console.
yes, it doesnt make much sense when you compare it to whats been revealed so far.

but im just looking at the estimated die size of the Scarlett and its definitely bigger than the Navi 10 chip even after the 70mm2 CPU. 5700XT is 251mm2 with 70mm2, you are looking at a 321mm2 chip if they go with the RX5700XT chip. the estimates put the scarlet chip at 390-400mm2. so there is roughly 80mm2. lots of space for 35% more CUs and RT hardware. maybe they go with 54 CUs at 1.2 ghz but thats still an 8.2 tflops. so at that point, why go with a bigger chip?

So yeah, i am completely ignoring the RX5700 cards right now. they dont make much sense. their tdp and tbp is way too high for 7nm cards with just 40 CUs. Shader processors havent increased either and all their architectural improvements have only netted them 25% more performance. to me, thats the shittiest gains ever and almost gives Adoredtv credibility. the 5700XT is a 9.4 tflops GPU. its tdp is 150w. i believe this includes the 8gb of ram. we know the CPU will be around 40w. then you've got all the other stuff on the mobo including the other 16 gb of ram, uhd and well everything else. best case scenario, we are looking at a 225w console. so how does one take the 5700xt, put it in a console and then increase the clocks to hit 10 tflops like most here expect?

the answer is you cant. AMD is already using the clocks at 1.9ghz to get to the 9.4 tflops. if next gen consoles have 40 CUs, how do we get to 10 tflops? how can next gen consoles have 40 CUs? surely they will have to disable 4. so are we seriously back to 36 CU and 8 tflops?

we have to start thinking bigger and ignore these shitty gpus altogether.

Dlacy13g

Oct 27, 2017
California, USA
I only saw this narrative of Scarlet dev-kits not being available after the Reiner tweets.

Could it be that no actual dev kits had gone out for MS yet but instead they gave specs to devs making games for next gen to target? And if at that point they were still looking at a 2 sku approach would that initial target be the lower spec to machine? I mean that would play into the narrative we heard about the playstation 5 dev kit being decidedly more powerful then Scarlet at that point. Just my tin foil hat on...

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
No I'm not. The higher clocks are because of the vapor chamber, plus (I'm guessing) an extra year of 16nm node maturation. Vapor chambers aren't some magic technology that MS invented, they're just a better standard cooling solution that costs an extra $15-20 that wasn't in the Pro budget. Plenty of graphics cards have vapor chambers too, from what I remember.

The X isn't better-engineered. What it DOES show, however, is the degree of extra performance you can get from a 25% cost increase these days. If you want to argue that targeting $499 instead of $399 was an example of smarter console design, that I would be on board with (IMO the Pro should've been a $499 machine that still focused on hitting checkerboard 4K while also increasing framerates).

You're not giving MS enough credit here. It was more than vapor chamber cooling that allowed them to clock that high. You're disregarding the degree that the Hovis Method mattered.

It's not right to trivialize what the Xbox hardware team achieved with Xbox One X by saying they just bolted on a vapor chamber cooler and threw money at the problem.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Nice illustration. I think a consequence of the stratified cache structure will be more granular flexibility in organization as you illustrate here.
I know that this illustration is not precise. But it was the best available to me.

Actually I followed your idea with the 3 Shader Engines too but in result it took 8 blocks for just adding 1 active WGP (see below).

763o1ct.png

I did not show that but I have now updated the diagram with that setup too and the number of tiles for each setup.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
With the die size estimate we have for Scarlett, I don't see why we can't expect 44-48 CUs and >10TF. Based on in-game performance of the 5700 being ~Vega 64 level, my current expectation for both next gen consoles is around Radeon 7 levels of performance. 🤷‍♂️

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
yes, it doesnt make much sense when you compare it to whats been revealed so far.

but im just looking at the estimated die size of the Scarlett and its definitely bigger than the Navi 10 chip even after the 70mm2 CPU. 5700XT is 251mm2 with 70mm2, you are looking at a 321mm2 chip if they go with the RX5700XT chip. the estimates put the scarlet chip at 390-400mm2. so there is roughly 80mm2. lots of space for 35% more CUs and RT hardware. maybe they go with 54 CUs at 1.2 ghz but thats still an 8.2 tflops. so at that point, why go with a bigger chip?

So yeah, i am completely ignoring the RX5700 cards right now. they dont make much sense. their tdp and tbp is way too high for 7nm cards with just 40 CUs. Shader processors havent increased either and all their architectural improvements have only netted them 25% more performance. to me, thats the shittiest gains ever and almost gives Adoredtv credibility. the 5700XT is a 9.4 tflops GPU. its tdp is 150w. i believe this includes the 8gb of ram. we know the CPU will be around 40w. then you've got all the other stuff on the mobo including the other 16 gb of ram, uhd and well everything else. best case scenario, we are looking at a 225w console. so how does one take the 5700xt, put it in a console and then increase the clocks to hit 10 tflops like most here expect?

the answer is you cant. AMD is already using the clocks at 1.9ghz to get to the 9.4 tflops. if next gen consoles have 40 CUs, how do we get to 10 tflops? how can next gen consoles have 40 CUs? surely they will have to disable 4. so are we seriously back to 36 CU and 8 tflops?

we have to start thinking bigger and ignore these shitty gpus altogether.

So... We have ignore the concrete data and real world products ?

You say these are shitty gpus. But they're doing what reasonable expectations were thinking: Matching VEGA64 at a lower CU count and TDP and higher IPC.

Also, not every console gpus have disabled CU. I dont recall the One X having disabled CUs for exemple (I might be wrong here though).

From now on, this is wishful thinking.

You have to stay in line with current existing products, otherwise this is pure fantasy.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Has there been any source that mentioned Lockhart being canceled that wasn't pure speculation? The lack of announcement isn't enough to go on when all of the things they announced (CPU, type of RAM, SSD) are common to all Scarlett devices and the things they didn't are where they vary.

With the lack of hard information in the announcement I have a hard time reading into anything too much. If anything, them avoiding questions about multiple consoles supports that existence of Lockhart not the other way around.

Nachtmaer

Oct 27, 2017
we know the CPU will be around 40w
I bet you could get 8 Zen 2 cores down to 30W while running at a reasonably high frequency of like let's say 3GHz.

X570 is confirmed to be the 14nm version of the IO die of Matisse and it has a TDP of 11-14W. While the IO die is 12nm, it does have an active DDR4 controller and it spits out 24 PCIe lanes instead of 16-20. At that point you can assume that the IO die uses about 20-25W, so the actual 8C chiplet of a 3700X will probably have a TDP of around 40-45W which runs at 3.6GHz base and 4.4GHz boost. If you let it run at a fixed clock with a lower voltage and throw in a potentially smaller node like 6nm, 7nm+ or Samsung's 7nm, you're definitely going to end up lower than 40W for the CPU.

Obviously that's just a guess as for now we don't know yet what the real power numbers are until someone does some testing.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
We can say 24 Gb of GGDR6 will consume at least 48 watts probably more because of the larger bus 384 bits.

I don't think power consumption scales linearly with density, though - so, if they're using 12x 16Gb modules instead of 24x 8Gb, for instance, I'm not completely sure you'll get twice as much power usage. 48W is probably the ceiling, 24W the floor, truth being somewhere between.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So... We have ignore the concrete data and real world products ?

You say these are shitty gpus. But they're doing what reasonable expectations were thinking: Matching VEGA64 at a lower CU count and TDP and higher IPC.

Also, not every console gpus have disabled CU. I dont recall the One X having disabled CUs for exemple (I might be wrong here though).

From now on, this is wishful thinking.

You have to stay in line with current existing products, otherwise this is pure fantasy.
xbox one x had 4 disabled cus.

Fine, lets not ignore these gpus. lets go with concrete data and real world products. these gpus dont have hardware RT. no hardware RT in Scarlet confirmed. Phil was lying. it's the only explanation.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I don't think power consumption scales linearly with density, though - so, if they're using 12x 16Gb modules instead of 24x 8Gb, for instance, I'm not completely sure you'll get twice as much power usage. 48W is probably the ceiling, 24W the floor, truth being somewhere between.

Power consumption of DDR4 is linear per module, I doubt this is different for GGDR6, the same thing for HBM2 8 Gb of HBM2 consume 10 watts, 16 Gb consumes 20 watts

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
With the die size estimate we have for Scarlett, I don't see why we can't expect 44-48 CUs and >10TF. Based on in-game performance of the 5700 being ~Vega 64 level, my current expectation for both next gen consoles is around Radeon 7 levels of performance. 🤷‍♂️

Radeon 7 is already a 7nm card and the architectural advantages of Navi don't make up the gap enough to replicate that kind of performance in a console which is bound by certain thermal restrictions. The Radeon 7 also has HMB2 memory which Navi doesn't have.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
xbox one x had 4 disabled cus.

Fine, lets not ignore these gpus. lets go with concrete data and real world products. these gpus dont have hardware RT. no hardware RT in Scarlet confirmed. Phil was lying. it's the only explanation.

That's how semi-custom works. You can add stuff on top of it. And the next one are going to have it. Which also means you know now how you're getting a bigger chip.

Feb 10, 2018
No, AMD gave the numbers for the Total Board Power (TBP) but not the TDP!

NVIDIA did some "calculations" on their part to get the TDP of those cards, but as mentioned, they did not use the same calculation basis for the Navi cards as they used for their RTX cards, and thus skewed the results by ~25W for the Navi cards. Which is pretty dumb coming from Nvidia, because their cards are still more perf/power-efficient so there was no reason for them skew them in the first place. But I guess doing stuff like that is now a trend... probably set by Intel...

Anyways here is the article (its in German). It's a pretty lengthy article that goes into detail about the board structure with the coils and voltage structure. The author is a pretty knowledgable person about TDP measurement and calculation as he does this for a job. You can also watch his article in video form. Some posters already posted his video on here a couple of pages ago.

Navi TDP and RTX TDP

Based on his measurement of Wattage directly from the MoBo the RTX 2080 and 2070 are set 10W higher than what NVIDIA claims on their comparison slide. The RTX 2060 is correct though. Even so with the higher TBP of the Nvidia cards the TDP of Nvidia for their cards is correct, using the same calculation basis which resulted in the correct Nvidia measurements of the TDP, he then proceeded to calculate the Navi cards TDP using the same method.

The RX 5700XT reaches a TDP of 157W, while the RX5700 a TDP of 122W.

Oh right I see, some other sources said the gpu power draw was 180w + 150w
But your source does look more detailed.

Colbert's thoughts about NAVI GPU setups for next gen consoles

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
💬 NAVI GPU layouts analyzed 💬

Some more info how did I land with number of stream processors in my most recent prediction after E3:

With the new RDNA architecture the old ways to design the GPU wasn't anymore. Less and wider Shader Engines. So I asked myself in what steps you could actually expand the number of CUs without producing gaps in die space that potentially would end up as dark silicon.

My results are shown with the below picture after the wall of text ;)

Setup A shows a possible design with up to 22 WGPs (48 CUs) but as usual I assume 1 WGP deactived per SE for yield purposes (NA).

Setup B is the next iteration of expanding on WGPs (and CUs).

With Setup C I also followed the idea of anexanhume with 3 shader engines but rejected it because it comes with a lot of tiles for just 1 WGP.

If we assume each block consumes the same die space (which I know is not the case but just as an approximation) we get the following results:
  • Setup A adds 12.5 % tile space for additional 4 active CUs
  • Setup B adds 25.0 % tile space for additional 12 active CUs
  • Setup C adds 50.0 % tile space for additional 14 active CUs
So looking into the numbers I had to go with Setup B as it gives you the most bang for the buck! (CU/tile space increase ratio)!!

Btw, the inactive WGPs (NA) were picked randomly.

MPu6kJi.png

Last edited:

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
As far as I know, DRAM power consumption scales with the number of modules. So 12GB on a 382-bit interface will consume the same as a 24GB on a 382-bit interface. So if the X has a 382-bit interface, Scarlet will consume less power with a 382-bit interface because GDDR6 consume less power than GDDR5 while providing x2 the bandwidth. If the X uses 12GB of 6.8Gbps GDDR5 in a 382-bit interface, Scarlet can use 24GB of 13.6Gbps GDDR6 in a 382-bit interface (650GB/s) and consume ~15% less than the X.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
I think the Xbox One X having inside a GPU nearly equal to a desktop 185 watts TDP Polaris GPU, I think the 11,1 Tflops rumor is much more reasonable now.
Yeah, but compared to the 225W 5700 XT you are talking about 15% more TF + RT hardware + more memory controllers + all the Microsoft/Sony customization. Sounds a bit too good to be true.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
So what's your prediction based on the new gpus? Especially with ms custom hardware rt?

I stand by what I said before: 12-13TFLOPs of GCN metric. That means VEGA64 level of performance, +/-10% around that. RX5700 XT fits the bill. Put in RT cores and call it a day. I wonder if they could use CU's for RT, but I'm doubtful.

But as of right now, RX5700 XT fits the bill in both performance level and power consumption level. You people are too focused on CU numbers and TFLOPs from an older architecture.

Andromeda

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
💬 NAVI GPU setups analyzed 💬

Some more info how did I land with number of stream processors in my most recent prediction after E3:

My results are shown with the below picture after the wall of text ;)

Setup A shows a possible design with up to 22 WGPs (48 CUs) but as usual I assume 1 WGP deactived per SE for yield purposes.

Setup B is the next iteration of expanding on WGPs (and CUs).

With Setup C I also followed the idea of anexanhume with 3 shader engines but rejected it because it comes with a lot of tiles for just 1 WGP.

If we assume each block consumes the same die space (which I know is not the case but just as an approximation) we get the following results:
  • Setup A adds 12.5 % tile space for additional 4 active CUs
  • Setup B adds 25.0 % tile space for additional 12 active CUs
  • Setup C adds 50.0 % tile space for additional 14 active CUs
So looking into the numbers I had to go with Setup B as it gives you the most bang for the buck! (CU/tile space increase ratio)!!

Btw, the inactive WGPs (IA) were picked randomly.
gAw4ifN.png
What is IA on your setup A, B and C ? I really hope you don't expect AMD to design a GPU with unused space ? And Setup C is not happening. I think the SEs need to be grouped in the center.

EDIT: OK, IA means deactivated CU.

Status
Not open for further replies.