• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2018
It will effect sales but they will still sell a lot and they also bring people into there ecosystem .
The bigger your IP they more people you can get to try it out\buy a system .
People already hype for GOW, HZD2 , Spidey 2 etc etc and we not even see them yet and when we do people will buy systems for it before the game even comes out .
If it not good that is bad but it already done it's job .
Yes before a game is out, IP will influence consumers based on the studios previous games, but that only works if the last games were good and if the next games are bad it can backfire and deter ppl from the platform.

So basically the IP is only as strong as the games are.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
By another console what do you mean?

coz I think switch 2 in 2022-23 is a good bet, with PS4 level performance more or less

I mean another Xbox and Playstation. I think you will now just see an updated model every few years. Just like the X and the Pro. I mean people are all excited for the SSD and CPU improvement but the gains made on the GPU from the Xbox One to the X were significant, and so were the results with games going from 900-1080p to 4k. Phil Spencer has already said that they will build new consoles when there is a flexion point with the technology.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
This could go for 360 users as well, since streaming is hardware agnostic.

right but it helps you get themplaying Scarlett games, starting to get used to the increased quality and then feeling like bit playing 1S games locally anymore and then they either choose to stay streaming or buying a Scarlett for local play

could work well

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Yes before a game is out, IP will influence consumers based on the studios previous games, but that only works if the last games were good and if the next games are bad it can backfire and deter ppl from the platform.

So basically the IP is only as strong as the games are.

Yes but that is how it always is for everything so don't see why it matter .
Sony going into next gen with very high selling IP is a plus no matter how you look at it.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
That's not entirely true. They may have trouble doing on the 360 due to the software stack. Stadia requires a chromcast ultra standard chromcast is a no go.
I'm pretty sure that the Stadia requirement for Chromecast Ultra is due to it having better wifi and support for Ethernet. As long as you can get the a fast enough signal to the Internet then streaming is fine, 360 would at best support 1080 streaming anyway.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
It's more like they are proud from the past achievement as they know that they will be not so much from the future one ;d

Another reason that I feel like Microsoft may be fairly confident in having architectural headroom for clock updates is that the numerous PS5 leaks regarding 2 GHz clocks and such could indicate that Sony has pushed things to the limits that they would feel comfortable with for a retail console, and it is possible that Xbox has more conservative clocks that could be adjusted upward if they decide it matters to them and have the cooling and such to do so without concern. Again, it does seem that we are likely talking about who may or may not end up at retail with a very small edge that won't really show in actual games as discussed here :)

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Cross-gen is a very dumb move on MS part, and feels especially bone-headed seeing how disappointing XO sales were.

Sony has a reputation for visually stunning games now, which can only be made more apparent by continuing to support old gen far longer than it needs to.

I wouldn't worry about it. Look at Minecraft. Now look at Minecraft with texture updates and RayTracing. Tell me they look the same generation at all.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean another Xbox and Playstation. I think you will now just see an updated model every few years. Just like the X and the Pro. I mean people are all excited for the SSD and CPU improvement but the gains made on the GPU from the Xbox One to the X were significant, and so were the results with games going from 900-1080p to 4k. Phil Spencer has already said that they will build new consoles when there is a flexion point with the technology.
Maybe idk. I think those were just midgen gimmicks to extend the gen like Move, Kinect, EyeToy, etc

they will all be 4K and have some 8K support so if only 20% consumers bought Pro models with 4K as the main marketing point, I highly doubt next gen Pro models will fare better if all they can say they have is even better performance, which matters to some but not as many as you would think

of course I could be wrong.

i could see the midgen gimmick being $100 or less boxes for streaming next gen games so users can buy in without spending a ton. Then normal next next gen leap in 2026-27

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
They have the devs to do it but it still have to be done .
Haveing great devs don't always mean having great games and this goes for Sony first party also .
What Sony does have right now are very high selling IP .
You have to start somewhere, and have a good foundation that allows you to even hope that some time in the future there is going to be a chance that there are going to be some good games that can make the platform appealing.

Playground, Turn 10, 343i, Ninja Theory, Rare, Obsidian, The Initiative, The Coalition give them that base. The question is whether some of the other studios can now step up.
Yes but that is how it always is for everything so don't see why it matter .
Sony going into next gen with very high selling IP is a plus no matter how you look at it.
No one knew what Horizon Zero Dawn was. Prior to last generation, no one knew what Gears of War was, Uncharted or The Last of Us. In the previous generation, it was games like Halo, Forza and God of War that became huge titles, and on the third party space games like Splinter Cell, Devil May Cry.

There will always be new IP that come in and capture the imagination of users.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
?
"very high selling IP"

While IP does have some power, I don't know if it applies to sony's IP, Sony's games sell well based on there quality not there IP. If the next Sony santa Monica or ND game is poor the sales will reflect this.
Even if tlou2 is absolute crap it will sell loads.

Preorders alone will probably have it at 2-3 million day one.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
No one knew what Horizon Zero Dawn was. Prior to last generation, no one knew what Gears of War was, Uncharted or The Last of Us. In the previous generation, it was games like Halo, Forza and God of War that became huge titles, and on the third party space games like Splinter Cell, Devil May Cry.

There will always be new IP that come in and capture the imagination of users.

I never said different .
Just like how they will IP people buy the systems for that become big over the years .
Also DMC is not big and GOW not turn huge until this gen it was selling mostly the same on PS2 and PS3.

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
LOL, I was clearly joking. I've said multiple times I'm getting both. It's just a question of timing. I owned OG PS4 and XB1 and now have a Pro and an X. I'm under no disillusion about ending up with both platforms.

Thank you. This is my point and how I suspect most people will feel. This is a huge contrast to a split SKU strategy like Lockhart, which was explicitly rejected after entertaining it, presumably.

Believe me when I say I wasn't calling you out on fanboyism or anything like that, apologies if it appeared that way.

I was only challenging the notion that having/not having exclusive games at launch won't sway potential buyers towards one console or the other.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Phil Spencer: "I'm not going to sacrifice performance for the sake of price"

I'm sorry, but that's absurd. I get that the goal of this statement is to give the clear message that performance is important to Microsoft and I don't doubt that, but does anyone buy the idea that they couldn't make a faster console by raising the BOM tenfold? Of course they sacrificed performance for the sake of price! So has Sony, Nintendo, Apple, and everyone else trying to make a mass-market commercially viable product. That's engineering in a nutshell: you do the best you can within constraints.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
There will be one cross-gen game Ghost of Tsushima because the release is late and near PS5 release. And I suppose tons of PS4 games will receive a PS5 patch.

For Sony we will have the first Housemarque AAA game, probably a Ratchet And Clank from Insomniac, Demon soul's remake by Bluepoint and maybe other games from other dev maybe Ready at Dawn or studio Wushu or SuperMassive games. And they can release Horizon Zero Dawn 2 during the second part of 2021 when there will be more PS5 sold. They have the new San Diego studio maybe something from Japan studio or partnership with third party devs.

www.gamesindustry.biz

Housemarque goes AAA with new project

"The era, the ten-plus years that we've been mostly working on smaller, downloadable, arcade-inspired console games has…

Shuhei Yoshida visited Housemarque this year.

Of the studios you listed, only one of them (Insomniac) is part of WWS and guaranteed to have exclusive games. At launch window I expect to see HZD2 and Sony Japan for first party. But a lot of big titles from WWS just recently hit, or will be soon, and for some like Sucker Punch, Bend, and MM, they've taken a long time to make those games, I don't expect quick turn around on future titles.

I won't call games being ported \ patch to PS5 with upgrades cross gen .
PS5 has BC so even without a patch \port it will play on PS5 .
Most of the time when people talk about cross gen they talking new games coming out on both systems when next gen already started.
What's the difference between a game that is developed for current gen, then patched/upgraded when next gen arrives, and a game that launches with last gen / next gen at the same time? In both instances there is a game that is optimized for two different console generations for the same platform holder. I'm not talking about taking an old and abandoned game and bringing it to the new gen. These studios (SP, ND, etc) have PS5 devkits right now, and are likely working on PS5 versions of their games alongside the PS4 version, rather than focusing only on PS4, then once the game ships quickly throwing together a patch.

Why?

EDIT : I am pretty sure the SSD will be in the design of every next gen games, so no cross gen.
It's very rare for two consecutive console generations to be based on such similar technology, as we'll see with PS4 to PS5. I believe this brings an ease of development across the two platforms, and we'll see current gen last a lot longer for both platforms than previously. Also, while the SSD will be utilized in next gen games, I don't think all next gen games will leveraged it in the same manner. Some games the SSD will be crucial for realizing the world being developed, others the game design may not change much, but instead offer reduced or no load screens, and perhaps removal of "loading ladders."

At minimum I think we can expect MLB the Show to be cross gen for several years. I expect Dreams will have continued development on the PS4 and PS5 versions of the game concurrently. When the TLOU2 multiplayer component is released, I expect that to be cross gen.

I'd rather a platform holder encourage their developers to make great games, with the developers then determining the requirements of their games. Perhaps they'll find that the scope of their game would also work on the prior consoles - they should be allowed and encouraged to release it on that platform if that's the case. I'm very excited for next gen games, and I do think that exclusively developing for next gen consoles and PCs with SSDs will yield the most impressive results, I also think there's room for cross gen games which are technically stunning on next gen consoles.

Last edited:

Kevo

Oct 17, 2019
If we do a worldwide top 50 of PS4 games sold we will find many exclusives games. For a multiplatform game, I talk about only the PS4 version sales. And into the top 50 few games are in Gamepass. We will find some COD games are not in Gamepass, at the top Rockstar games are not in Gamepass, all Sony games are not in Gamepass, EA games are not in Gamepass and so on. And I don't even talk about f2p games. Services is good but you need to have the game the people want to play inside. ;)

After it depends on the place in the US and UK the people will choose what they prefer and consider the best offer. In other places in Japan, they don't care about Xbox and in other countries, Playstation will launch with a big advantage if they don't fuck up something like the price.
If we do a worldwide top 50 games sold you will see exclusively Multiplatform and Nintendo games. From what I could find Playstation's top selling exclusive game Uncharted 4 only sold 16 million copies. That's 16% of the 100 million gamers Sony has on the PS4. People tout exclusives as the reason why they buy a consoles than go on to only buy the new Call of Duty, Fifa, NBA2k and other 3rd party games every year with a small base actually buying the 1st party exclusives. I think most people just like the idea of having access to exclusives but than realize they don't have the time/money to buy anything other than the top franchises 3rd party games. Or at least that's what the sales number suggest.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I never said different .
Just like how they will IP people buy the systems for that become big over the years .
Also DMC is not big and GOW not turn huge until this gen it was selling mostly the same on PS2 and PS3.

Out of Gran Turismo, no Sony games pass the 10 million bar before this generation: UC4 16/17 million, Spiderman more than 13.2 million, God of War more than 10 million, Horizon Zero dawn, TLOU remastered more than 10 million on PS4. They have multiple huge franchises.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Make sure you don't play Ghosts of Tsushinima or TLOU2 on PS5. They're trash games held back by last gen. Just like how horribly GTA V sold this gen because it was cross gen. It's horrible.
Why are you twisting my words?
Those games were always to be made for the PS4 hardware, what that i am saying is that id rather first party games in 2021/2 to fully utilize the new hardware rather than being held back by this generation of hardware, i dont get the defensiveness in your words.

Lets put it like this,
Ill be very disappointed if horizon 2 is cross gen
Ill be very disappointed if the new fable is cross gen.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
If we do a worldwide top 50 games sold you will see exclusively Multiplatform and Nintendo games. From what I could find Playstation's top selling exclusive game Uncharted 4 only sold 16 million copies. That's 16% of the 100 million gamers Sony has on the PS4. People tout exclusives as the reason why they buy a consoles than go on to only buy the new Call of Duty, Fifa, NBA2k and other 3rd party games every year with a small base actually buying the 1st party exclusives. I think most people just like the idea of having access to exclusives but than realize they don't have the time/money to buy anything other than the top franchises 3rd party games. Or at least that's what the sales number suggest.

I speak about game sales on PS4, I never see a Nintendo game there. Maybe you confuse switch and PS4.

Out of GTA5 few games sold more than 20 million only on PS4 probably Minecraft, some FIFA version and Spiderman will reach this number when all will be done maybe TLOU2. We can say the same no COD reach more than 20% of the 100 million gamers. A console sold for multiple audiences, different games. ;) Many COD probably sold less than UC4 counting only the PS4 version.

And the people buying exclusives games and subscribe to PS + are often early buyers and the people in the first 40 million players. Day one buyer from 2013 to 2018 spend on average 1800 dollars in the PS ecosystem without counting the hardware. They are the most important players to keep and spend more than 60 million other players.

Last edited:

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
What's the difference between a game that is developed for current gen, then patched/upgraded when next gen arrives, and a game that launches with last gen / next gen at the same time? In both instances there is a game that is optimized for two different console generations for the same platform holder. I'm not talking about taking an old and abandoned game and bringing it to the new gen. These studios (SP, ND, etc) have PS5 devkits right now, and are likely working on PS5 versions of their games alongside the PS4 version, rather than focusing only on PS4, then once the game ships quickly throwing together a patch.

The game that get patch up won't be able to take full advantage of the new system power for game design or certain hardware aspects .
I mean why would ND be working on the PS5 version when it coming out months later after there game ship .
It would make more sense the focus all there man power on the PS4 version finish that and then patch the PS5 version since PS5 coming out months later .
I mean there is good chance that a lot of games will get patch or port you won't call them cross gen .
Like are you going to call GTAV, RDR2 , Sony older games , fortnite etc etc when get port cross gen ?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Most 3rd party games don't sell 10 million .
In fact name a 3rd party company that has 5 IPs that sold over 10 million plus this gen on PS4 alone.
If we using your math only on 20% of the base buy COD or Fifa and even less buy 3rd party games like AC , RE , FF etc etc etc .

Damn double post .

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
So why is Phil dancing around the question then?

giphy.gif

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Most 3rd party games don't sell 10 million .
In fact name a 3rd party company that has 5 IPs that sold over 10 million plus this gen .
If we using your math only on 20% of the base buy COD or Fifa and even less buy 3rd party games like AC , RE , FF etc etc etc .

Damn double post .

People don't understand than UC4 is probably in the top five of best selling PS4 games the first one being GTA 5, after maybe some FIFA version, maybe Minecraft. I don't think any COD sold more than 20 millions on PS4 only.

Out of GTA, Minecraft, FIFA, some COD games all the 10+ million sellers on PS4 are above all the other PS4 games. UC4, Spiderman, God of War, HZD are in the top 10 probably and for sure in the top 15 of the most sold PS4 games.

Last edited:

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
People don't understand than UC4 is probably in the top five of best selling PS4 games the first one being GTA 5, after maybe some FIFA version, maybe Minecraft. I don't think any COD sole more than 20 millions on PS4 only.

Yeah i edit my post to say PS4 only .
When you do that the numbers become even lower for 3rd party .
Since there games sell on PC and XB also.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017

Sales number suggest that a good game available on multiple platforms with more consumers will sell better than a good game available to one platform with less consumers.

Aug 26, 2019
Let's use Control as an example. The devs wanted to do something that obviously was too much for the base consoles (at least on initial release). How are cross-gen titles going to fare on base consoles when they're doing stuff that the base consoles just can't handle?

And what happens when the added cost of optimizing games for last-gen systems(development resources are expensive) outweighs the potential revenue from releasing on the base consoles? I know that we say engines are "scaleable" these days, but how scalable are they? I doubt it's a single line of code that gets something to run on outdated hardware.

Last edited:

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
I do think from the wording it seems hes focused on a high spec console now and might release a lockheart sometime later down the road.

That could be the ticket. Scarlett big box is going to be powerful and pricey and later on down the road, it's baby brother (Lockhart) will come along to get more people to move on from Xbox One. As he says about the Xbox One S ADE doing very well. Even I'm thinking of picking that up in the Black Friday sales even though my PC is far more capable. I still missing having an Xbox alongside PC and PS4.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Presence of VRS in hardware is good news because Navi is known to be missing that feature. If one APU has it, the chances the competing console does too. We may be getting closer to a RDNA 2.0 design than we realize.
He understood your reply differently, as did I.

VRS is not supported in Navi. This is fantastic news.
That reads "navi doesn't support vrs, that's fantastic news."

What you meant

rdna doesn't support vrs, that must mean this is rdna2

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
The 360 got FH3 as well. So where does this come from then, that the PS3 was very well supported for years late into the lifecycle, is it literally just up to launch of the PS4?

I mean look at the games they released in 2013 up to the PS4's release. A lot of first party titles like last of us, God of war, MLB the show, Beyond 2 souls(not first party game), sly cooper etc. All the same year PS4 was launched.

Ant that was in it's 7th year for PS3. That's a lot of support for a system in the same year their new system launched.

Same is said for PS2.

PS3/XBOX360 gen went on far too long.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA

Xb1 and xb1x had 4/8 RBEs respectively, with 16 / 32 ROPs total respectively. PS4 had 8 RBEs.
This is likely referring to BC for XB1 (Gen0), which had 16 ROPS.
Guessing Scorpio would be Gen1.

Similar set up the Gen0(PS4), Gen1(Pro), Gen2(Oberon) labeling used on Sony's side.

Since Komachi stated Sparkman is lesser than Ariel and Arden, it is likely Lockhart.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.