• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Hey, saw this spin in another forum:
XBOX SERIES X GPU Alone will be almost 3 times more powerful than XBOX ONE X. Details: XBOX ONE X: 6 Teraflops GCN XBOX SERIES X: 12 TERAFLOPS RDNA 2.0 RDNA 2.0 is about 40-50% more powerful than GCN What that means is: 12 TERFALOPS RDNA 2.0 x 40% would equal to: 16.8 TERAFLOPS GCN which is almost 18 TFPS. 18 TFPS of GCN is 3 times more powerful than XBOX ONE X GCN GPU which is only 6 TFPS. That's how you would explain it.
How people know the rdna 2 vs 1 has increase in perf/teraflop ? For example vega 56 and 64 were a quite step back. So we don't know before rdna2 benchmarks (and generaly bigger gpus are less effective)

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
No one has confirmed that PS5 is more than 12tfs, always more than 10tfs. However, XSX is 12tfs.

Katzenbuckel

Aug 18, 2019
LMAO @ people taking anex's clear scarcasm at face value. If there's one person that wouldn't ever type that for real in this thread is anex, my dudes.

He got a warning for it LOL. Sometimes I do not understand the Mods here.

I made another PS5 concept. This one seems better I think. Still has the V shape.
FeKTo08.jpg

NhEJxUd.jpg
EQ1oR1q.jpg
DW72dCv.jpg

wow really nice! Sony had always great design and I would totally believe this being the real thing. Somehow I immediately thought of the Cybertruck, don't know why because it looks better than the truck :-)

Exactly. If it's 12 RDNA TF someone needs to explain why MS is only claiming 2x and not a much higher performance gain. Period.

Klee said it is even a bit over 12 TF RDNA and I think at the moment he is the most trustworthy insider here. BUT and that is a big but it could be that the Devkit is indeed 12.1 TF and the retail Box will only be 10TF? I think that we can not get the real numbers from the 2x PR talk and we have to wait. I have to admit I do not believe in 12 TF but having 12 - 13 TF XSX and PS5 would be amazing.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
It doesn't need to be a blunder per se but it is again unnecessary messaging. And you are right they gave multipliers but why would you let it linger if its wrong? Yes the majority of people don't know what a flop is but they do know that 2x6=12 and not 10.X. If people are going to question MS wording that's not a good thing.

Who is questioning Microsoft's wording? Folks are trying to get a specific TFlops measurement from a statement pretty much designed to give an approximation.

It makes perfect sense to use analogous statements related to previous performance versus yelling numbers the general public doesn't understand.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
How people know the rdna 2 vs 1 has increase in perf/teraflop ? For example vega 56 and 64 were a quite step back. So we don't know before rdna2 benchmarks (and generaly bigger gpus are less effective)
I think it's highly unlikely RDNA 2 has a big increase, it's a year later refresh with hybrid RT & VSR added on (at least for PC) not a new generation.
They can't get 12 TFLOPS out of 40 CU's i mean, so that's why it's like 70% sure PS5/SX use 50+ CU's or are 30% maybe just custom 5700 XT's & the GCN TFLOPS meme is refusing to die even in late 2019 & still causing confusion.

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
Exactly. If it's 12 RDNA TF someone needs to explain why MS is only claiming 2x and not a much higher performance gain. Period.

It's entirely not MS's fault if people throw around TF numbers when they have never even touched the matter.

The only promise to which they've committed is "2x the GPU power", which is easy to accomplish.

Discussing what Microsoft said is not downplaying, it's adhering to reality.
Power is not the same as performance.

To use cars as an analogy, two vehicles could both have 200 BHP but perform very differently.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
So if PS5 has no more TFs than XSX, how can it be more powerful?

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
There is a reason I like Klobrille hmqgg and Matt. Come in with clear information, interact a bit, go along and wait and see how it all pans out. Same thing I like with tomwarren and Brad Sams.

If you believe in your information, put out the numbers and let time prove you right or wrong. I have seen the numbers but won't disclose them......better off keeping that shit to yourself. This has always been my personal opinion when it comes to next gen game threads.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Klee said it is even a bit over 12 TF RDNA and I think at the moment he is the most trustworthy insider here. BUT and that is a big but it could be that the Devkit is indeed 12.1 TF and the retail Box will only be 10TF? I think that we can not get the real numbers from the 2x PR talk and we have to wait. I have to admit I do not believe in 12 TF but having 12 - 13 TF XSX and PS5 would be amazing.
I WANT super powerful consoles.

Hell I'm one of the few people here who voted $699 because I would totally pay that if the system was that much of a monster on the GPU side.

I'm all for the double SKU strategy, I just don't want the lower powered one to be as low as what is rumored for Lockhart.

If you like tinfoil hats and conspiracy theories yeah
I would like you to explain, in detail, how discussing the technological possibilities while using the context of what Microsoft explicitly states in regards to the machines GPU power, is either a tinfoil hat action or exercising in conspiracy theories.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who is questioning Microsoft's wording?
No one? But there is a reason why you would want to nip wrong information in the butt. If it keeps lingering and the general public gets word that its 2x XbX and it isn't than you got unnecessary crap at your hands even if it's not your fault. I just think after the reveal of Xbox one you want to be as clear as possible and not let media go wild with there imagination.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
There is a reason I like Klobrille hmqgg and Matt. Come in with clear information, interact a bit, go along and wait and see how it all pans out. Same thing I like with tomwarren and Brad Sams.

If you believe in your information, put out the numbers and let time prove you right or wrong. I have seen the numbers but won't disclose them......better off keeping that shit to yourself. This has always been my personal opinion when it comes to next gen game threads.
👀👍

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

Hell I'm one of the few people here who voted $699 because I would totally pay that if the system was that much of a monster on the GPU side.

I'm all for the double SKU strategy, I just don't want the lower powered one to be as low as what is rumored for Lockhart.

I would like you to explain, in detail, how discussing the technological possibilities while using the context of what Microsoft explicitly states in regards to the machines GPU power, is either a tinfoil hat action or exercising in conspiracy theories.

Please regale us with what Microsoft explicitly states. Because last I saw it was pretty simple.

Twice the GPU power of Xbox One X. Pretty straight forward.

Nov 11, 2017

So for you to feel better about the situation Microsoft's PR should have stated the below on all marketing materials

" twice the gpu power of xbox one x*"

* please note GPU power comparison is just simple TF mathematics. 6x2= 12 . Furthermore the theoretical TF comparison between RDNA and GCN isn't exactly 1:1 due to technological advances driven by next generation RDNA technology.

Last edited:

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
Which was basically what I was getting at. Thanks for the considered response.

Well...on this point why would we look at Windows/Office, Apple with the iphone, or god forbid Ford with the F150 when we have actual historical data from Sony themselves to determine how they do when they are market leading?

In the wake of the PS1's overwhelming market dominance, Sony designed and released the PS2 in 2000 which was not conservative at all. DVD Drive, emotion engine, firewire hookup, optional hard drive and ethernet adaptor...the thing blew minds leading up to release.

In the wake of the PS2's overwhelming market dominance, Sony designed and released the PSP in 2004/5, and then the PS3 in 2006.

Neither design was conservative (especially not the PSP- Sony created an entirely new media format for that), and with the PS3 specifically sony was willing to lose a LOT of money to establish Blu-Ray and Cell as industry standards.

Even after the PS3 clearly struggled, Sony designed and released the Vita in 2011, which again was not a conservative design. They bought Gaikai in 2012 for $380M, which again- was an extremely aggressive move given that Gaikai had no plausible way to return that investment 7 years ago.

It was only after the struggles of the PS3 and complete failure of the Vita that a more conservatively designed PS4 got released- but even then Sony went all-in on first party software development, increasing their risks in the software area even as the hardware was nothing to write home about.

So with Sony's return to the top of the pile, the implication that suddenly they'll position the PS5 like Microsoft does with Windows or Ford does with the F150....simply doesn't make sense. It's directly at odds with how they're known to behave.

to be completely clear once again, I was speaking of throwing money at the consoles themselves as something MS is not going to do. I believe that losing money on network and streaming solutions like Gamepass or Xcloud is something that they will do in the short term- because the path to success by "selling boxes" is simply out of reach for them. This isn't really a hypothetical, Gamepass is definitely a loss leader right now. They're giving it away for $1 to draw people into the ecosystem. At some point it also will have to find a path to profitability, but that time isn't right now.

I think Sony's price strategy is less about microsoft and gamepass than it was anticipation of increased competition in the space from Stadia. Gamepass has been around since 2017 and made absolutely no impact on how many consoles got sold. The Ps4 is still totally crushing the Xbox by something like a 3:1 margin. It isn't moving the needle in the space Sony actually cares about. On the other hand, Sony didn't bother to drop the price of PSNow until October of 2019, a few weeks before the official launch of Stadia in November. We know now that google completely botched the launch of that in every way one possibly COULD, but leading up to the actual release it was a legitimate threat to both Sony and Microsoft's business plans.

here I think you're off base, and not by a small margin. Good we agree that Microsoft will not sell the XSX for $399 if PS5 comes in at $499. That is absolutely not happening and this was the point of my post. As for that "$299" console-

everything we've heard about this points to that console being heavily stripped down from the "Anaconda" variant of the XSX. Less Ram, slower CPU, slower GPU. They're not subsidizing it, they're using less ram and (likely) binned parts that didn't make the grade for Anaconda to drive down cost. That's not subsidized at all. It will be sold at the same margins "Anaconda" will, though obviously sell less units.

As for "making all of their games available day 1 for a $10 charge" they're doing that now. It's meant to float gamepass, not sell consoles- you don't NEED to buy the box if all you're interested in is playing the next Halo- it will run on PCs and other devices that people already own.

And finally, from a math perspective MS sold "about" 8 million units of the XBO each year the first several years on the market. The data for that was already posted. Eating an additional $100 per console for two years (let's call it two years, for argument) over 16 million units loses MS $1.6 Billion dollars.

That's billion, with a B. There is no scenario anywhere where giving first party games away, even for free, gamepass aside loses microsoft 1.6 Billion dollars. They simply don't make that many games to begin with. Even if we assume a game development budget of $100M per game, it would take 16 AAA games in 2 years given away completely free to match the number MS would hit with a $100 per unit price cut. They make about "3" such games per year right now, being generous.

Again, not happening, not in the same ballpark.

This ignores everything Sony was doing from the PS1 through the release of the PS3 that was not conservative by any definition. That's not how they run that company.

Microsoft from what is advertising Game Pass is not focused on PS4 owners and they shouldn't be. They should focus on the other users, the Gen Z and Millennial users who use Netflix etc and are mobile and are not Console users. Having XCloud support Game Pass and having XCloud on PC, Android IOS and eventually, even Smart TVs and Switch is something Microsoft could have the massive success that Sony likely will never have, especially with Microsoft's pretty well-established presence.

Do you think Sony will be able to convince Samsung to preinstall its applications on Samsung Device? No, likely never will and historically Sony has lacked in establishing partnerships with other companies and gettng PSNow off the ground will be no different.

Regarding Sony, that was Sony at its peak, where they were an innovative company. But in the 2000s the Sony suffered and the innovation died with it. Everything they have released, cameras, TVs, Consoles etc aren't innovative products, they all have been conservative and PS5 will likely follow that conservative nature.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Another thing - if Phil was talking about teraflops - why would he say "we did the math and it comes out to twice as powerful".

It would be just be 12TF. No maths needed.

The math done was to effectively equate RDNA with GCN ...probably seeing the framerates of current gen games running on an XSX vs X1X (goddamn naming).

;)

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Another thing - if Phil was talking about teraflops - why would he say "we did the math and it comes out to twice as powerful".

It would be just be 12TF. No maths.
12/6 = 2 doesn't count as doing math at any age past 10.

The math done was to effectively equate RDNA with GCN ...probably seeing the framerates of current gen games running on an XSX vs X1X (goddamn naming).

Because 12 point something doesn't have the same marketing ring as "Double the power"

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

God no. All 4 has left hints. Sometimes numbers, sometimes less. A lot like Klee.

The only difference is that if you trust them judging from their portfolio of comments or articles. Which is why, we trust them. They might get a few things wrong (which happens) but they've proven that they have sources. Which I do trust them too.

Brings me again, to Klee. I'm familiar with his work, thus I can trust that he has a source. If he's wrong then well, this is his big test. It also haven't stopped me from developing my own speculation.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
So if PS5 has no more TFs than XSX, how can it be more powerful?
TFLOPS is not a standard metric for the real power of a GPU.

For example a AMD PC GPU can have more TFLOPS than a similar category Nvidia PC GPU but it is less powerful.

I think its going to be even worse next year if we have to take into account and the ray tracing performance.

And of course I am not saying that this will imply on next gen consoles. I am just saying how it can happen in general on GPUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.