M3z_

Oct 30, 2017
Generally I just pay to support them more so than an expectation on value versus what I would get without paying. I just pick the places I feel good about giving money and pay them, and corporations that I don't like as much or feel are exploitative I may find other means to watch.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Their "oooing and aaaahing" over the ago of his old setup is a bit much, but I get it, there's Content to be made. Definitely mismatched with the GPU too.

(I say this as someone who's still on a 6700K)

modernist

Jan 13, 2018
checking back in on Building with Brad hours later to see head torch on, cable managing, case flipped over to reveal no hardware yet installed in the case. delightful stuff

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
checking back in on Building with Brad hours later to see head torch on, cable managing, case flipped over to reveal no hardware yet installed in the case. delightful stuff
lol. I think I switched cases, installed an AIO and changed some hardware in like 20 minutes a few months back - that's with nice cable management and all.
But hey, it's all content for video so it's fine.

edit: a 5 minute discussion about the PC/case speaker. that's content right there.
I expect an hour of talk about the GPU power cables.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a race, so why stress.

I've been sort of jumping around, but the only thing I'd take issue with is using that graphite thermal pad over standard paste.

Unless that D15 is coming off for transport anyway, in which chase whatever.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
having a huge block of time to do some shit to your case, especially when you've never done it before, is a joy.

I had to install a SSD in my prebuilt when it arrived and i tell you i was glad i blocked out an evening for that because I hadn't realised SSD weren't bricks you had to install in the HDD tray slots anymore (which is good because my mobo doesn't support that anymore apparently)

alternate

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I thught those new thermal pads were supposed to be really good. Not like those old wax things they shipped with years ago.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
They are good but paste is still better for various reasons.
Surprised he did not go with an AIO with that much space in the case - I don't think I can go back to air.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
This all just cements my decision that the next PC that I buy will 100% be a pre-built box that arrives ready to be plugged into the wall.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Sure but the thing is you will 1 - pay too much and 2 - get worse hardware to boot.
I will pay a surcharge for sure but depending on who you choose to go with there are are a lot of customization options for the parts.

I've built PC's all my life and even though it has gotten so much easier these days than it was in like 2000 I'm still kind of over it. I built my last PC about 6 years ago and everything went fine but I was just not enjoying the process as much anymore. The idea of a full PC just showing up ready to go - while sacrilegious to 24 year old me - now sounds extremely cozy and nice.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
I have the same Define 7XL. Amazing case and the first time I was ever able to do actual clean cable management.

Eternia

Oct 25, 2017
I will pay a surcharge for sure but depending on who you choose to go with there are are a lot of customization options for the parts.

I've built PC's all my life and even though it has gotten so much easier these days than it was in like 2000 I'm still kind of over it. I built my last PC about 6 years ago and everything went fine but I was just not enjoying the process as much anymore. The idea of a full PC just showing up ready to go - while sacrilegious to 24 year old me - now sounds extremely cozy and nice.
Sure, there are vendors that have some higher quality options ready to go. Personally, I don't think I can handle not having the choice of going through all available options thoroughly, not just ones that they decided to stock. Also watching Gamersnexus have absolutely a terrible time with their pre-built systems isn't exactly inspiring a lot of confidence in these companies. The compromise I would do if I no longer want to build it myself is to have a local shop build the PC with parts I've bought myself.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Sure, there are vendors that have some higher quality options ready to go. Personally, I don't think I can handle not having the choice of going through all available options thoroughly, not just ones that they decided to stock. Also watching Gamersnexus have absolutely a terrible time with their pre-built systems isn't exactly inspiring a lot of confidence in these companies. The compromise I would do if I no longer want to build it myself is to have a local shop build the PC with parts I've bought myself.
I can just hire a Taskrabbit like Rob Zacny and just have them build it at my house with a tiny chance they put on a cooler backwards or something!

All jokes aside like I hear y'all and I get it. I used to be one of you! I loved picking out every part and I liked the control and took a certain amount of pride in building my own PC because it really did feel different when it was put together by my own two hands. I've just gotten tired and lazy with age, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with putting a pc together yourself or anything. In todays world with so many choices and how relatively simple it is it's no wonder so many people opt out of pre-builts and go at it themselves even with very limited experience. On the flip side we've also come a long way from Alienware PC's where you CAN find pretty good pre-built machines with a variety of customization options that work really, really well.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Boutique prebuilts are probably the compromise between a complete shitbox and something you can make yourself.

The big advantage that 'big box' prebuilts have is that they can be cheaper than buying the components, which if you're on a budget and just want something that works and performs 'decently', is probably a good reason to compromise.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Oh great I have the upgrade bug again after they completely trashed my 7700K I'm still on too haha.

I did just recently build a pc for my GF which I enjoyed and am jealous of now. Wanna watch this Brad stream.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still on a 6700k with a 1070…

But these days I just use my PS5 or Series X for games. Don't really have a huge urge to go back to the PC side right now.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Australia is in a weird situation where it's actually better value to get a prebuilt box and maybe customise it just a little bit with parts you get on sale.

My 4070Ti box is alright

liquiddragon

Jun 20, 2020
Built my first PC before Christmas and I did enjoy it. I would do it again but I wanna make it last as long as possible. I guess it's fairly modest (I5-12600K/3060ti) but everything I gravitate towards on PC seems to be kinda old and not so demanding, so I think I'll be ok for a good while.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking of using Microcenter's build service for my next PC. I buy the parts, they build the thing. All the customization, none of the work!

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
*laughs sadly with his i5-6300 and 960M*

I'm thinking of using Microcenter's build service for my next PC. I buy the parts, they build the thing. All the customization, none of the work!

That's what I think I'm leaning towards whenever I am ready to get something since a Microcenter is opening up in town here soon. My problem is that I'm a bit like Brad with my decision paralysis on exactly what I need vs what I want and how much I want to pay. I also don't know what form factor I want. I have a laptop now because when I got this I had a job that required a lot of travel so I wanted to bring something (this was pre-Switch too) that I could bring with me to play games when I was in hotels but now I don't travel anymore so I don't need the laptop but there are like 3-4 days a year that I really do need one. And then if I go desktop route I have to invest in a new desktop and a monitor since I obviously don't have a monitor currently.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
The vibes on this cast are so classic (well, mid-era) beastcast it hurts. god, so good

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised he did not go with an AIO with that much space in the case - I don't think I can go back to air.

Even if he wanted an air-cooler for whatever reason, the NH-D15 isn't even the best in class any more. It's a rather old design, outperformed (gn/youtube) by things like the Thermaltake Peerless Assassin 120(SE) at about half the price or less(!).

I get that Noctua has world-class customer support and name recognition, but boy are you paying a lot[0] for that.

[0] Once you add the one or two degrees over ambient you lose in performance from the graphite pad, you've paid for a ~$110 cooler and gotten the performance of a ~$40 cooler in return. The fans are good though.

Last edited:

Hans Gruber

Oct 27, 2017
Norwich, UK
I have a Noctua NH-D14 that I bought 11 years ago. It's still on its original fans, it's really quiet and I can't fault the performance. If I bought a new CPU that wasn't supported they'd send me an adapter kit for free. I'd absolutely buy another one of their products. I keep thinking about a AIO but I just can't see any benefits.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Yeah I had my Noctua for like 15 years and upgraded it 3 times to different Sockets. For free.
their customer support and their fans are just amazing.

1 gift from derFeef

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018
This giveaway has unfortunately been cancelled.

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from derFeef derFeef!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

derFeef said:

These are our awesome prizes:

• Humble Bundle Humble Bundle: Golden Light (Steam from Humble)

alternate

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Okay, lets check out this Brad PC building video, could be fun ... FOUR AND A HALF HOURS !?!?!??!?!

I'm out.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about halfway through the build video and it's pretty cool so far. Great to see Will show up for it.

But that air cooler looks ridiculous.

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about halfway through the build video and it's pretty cool so far. Great to see Will show up for it.

But that air cooler looks ridiculous.

I thought 4 hours of this was going to be boring or rough, but it's really enjoyable. Makes me miss in-person group streams a ton though back in the GB days.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
Watching Street Fighter (1994) again in anticipation of the watchcast. This movie gets a bad rap, it's almost as good as Mortal Kombat. A lot of the set design is kind of amazing, especially Raul Julia's floating platform thing having an arcade stick for controls.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any RE4 content? Wish they did a video. I feel like they're not covering any games I care about but I find it hard to sift through their content to find stuff now

M3z_

Oct 30, 2017
Bring back Abby as much as possible. Would love to have Austin show up for a stream if he was ever interested in doing one, I know he has been enjoying life out of the limelight.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Yeah, it would be cool to bring back Abby for RE4.

I'm much more interested in seeing Vinny play after hearing how much trouble that early canyon section gave him. There's a lot of room for different play styles - Ben from MinnMax didn't parry an attack till the first Krauser fight and apparently was using the bolt thrower against other bosses. Seems crazy to me, but he did finish the game, so whatever works.

Last edited:

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
I've only parried by accident. The indicator is way too small and you have to stare at the bottom right corner.

JAT

Oct 27, 2017
You can change the parry to work on RT in the settings, which I found much more convenient.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Yah I'm by no means a Sekiro parry expert but I think RE4 is extremely generous with how early you press the parry button.