• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Just getting to the last podcast with the music category, and I am constantly surprised at how many people don't run adblock/ublock origin. They must have their reasons but seem to be just skipping the ads anyway so don't know if it's honesty.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
Just getting to the last podcast with the music category, and I am constantly surprised at how many people don't run adblock/ublock origin. They must have their reasons but seem to be just skipping the ads anyway so don't know if it's honesty.

They could at least subscribe to YouTube Premium if they don't want to promote adblockers.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I never get bothered by what they pick in these categories.. I listen to these things for their personality and the conversation; if anything the inconsistencies and contradictions make it sort of fun.

alternate

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Slightly OT but I have not ventured in to the GB thread for way too long to start now.

I was watching that Silent Hill feature on GB and was thinking Jess reminded me of someone who guested on a Silent Hill Retronauts episode way back when 1up was still a thing. I looked it up and not only was it indeed her, but it was over 10 years ago. A real internet WTF moment. Also kudos for sticking with that goofy internet handle for this long.

Found a link, might have to give it a re-listen http://archive.org/download/RetronautsLivePrimeOther/RetronautsLive26-SilentHillSeries.mp3

As people who used to make a living partially off of internet adverts - I bet they went out of their way not to at least openly support ad blockers. Although since those revenue streams dried up I feel a lot of people openly don't care what their audience does.

They could at least subscribe to YouTube Premium if they don't want to promote adblockers.

Pretty sure at least one of them does - as a personal account at least. Someone said so. Brad maybe?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I would have liked if they would tell us how far into a game, or if they finished it, they are when they talk about it during the deliberations. I got the impression they all weren't far into Halo.

Also regarding adblockers. Pretty sure I saw the ublock icon in one of the GOTY videos.

Gyoru

Oct 27, 2017

We're coming up on the 9 year anniversary of Vinny & friends quick look the internet (Jan 4 2013)
I don't know why you wouldn't use an adblocker after those battle scars

it's past me in the chat

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
I never get bothered by what they pick in these categories.. I listen to these things for their personality and the conversation; if anything the inconsistencies and contradictions make it sort of fun.

Very much the same for me, I listen to these podcasts for entertainment. It's not like GOTY awards are in any way important in this day and age.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Yeah I remember that too, one of them mentioned they could never go back from Youtube Premium after not seeing ads. I thought it was brad too

I think I would pay $5 a month to get rid of YouTube ads cause they're incredibly annoying, but $16 a month is way too much. I already subscribe to Amazon music so I don't need another music streaming service.

Last edited:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised they didn't pick or at the very least discuss Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye during "Wish I Liked It More". Really thought that's what inspired the entire category when I saw it in the pod's description.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised they didn't pick or at the very least discuss Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye during "Wish I Liked It More". Really thought that's what inspired the entire category when I saw it in the pod's description.

Actually he kind of basically says that in another category right? Probably the time loop one, he basically was like 'loved the beginning, loved the end, hated the middle'

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Actually he kind of basically says that in another category right? Probably the time loop one, he basically was like 'loved the beginning, loved the end, hated the middle'

Yeah, that's what Vinny said. I think Brad didn't even (want to) finish it. Or so I recall him saying a few episodes ago, so I don't remember the exact phrasing. After just how much he loved OW, that was really surprising to me, so I was expecting them to talk about it in that category.

Poyunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would love if they did a "Best song of their best soundtrack of the year". Sometimes I just enjoy listening to people nerd out about a specific song. Plus it could help with having a few songs ready for their best soundtrack conversation.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I've been pretty checked out of the Nextlander stuff (the weekly pod didn't really do anything for me) but I'm here for the GOTY pods and boy it is nice to hear Brad say "Hm, I could see it"

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I think I got badly stuck in a on-rails sequence in BD. Loved the game overall, but I remember getting very mad in one section.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Listening to the recent ramblecast and finding it really fucking weird that brad mentioned that on the tech pod he was forbidden to bring up Betty White's death (I assume forbidden by Will). Kinda weird

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Listening to the recent ramblecast and finding it really fucking weird that brad mentioned that on the tech pod he was forbidden to bring up Betty White's death (I assume forbidden by Will). Kinda weird

I haven't listened to the Ramblecast, but did it seem like Will forbade the Betty White talk because he didn't want to get into negative stuff on the pod? Because Will's had some serious health issues lately that I could understand it influencing his willingness to talk about those topics.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I haven't listened to the Ramblecast, but did it seem like Will forbade the Betty White talk because he didn't want to get into negative stuff on the pod? Because Will's had some serious health issues lately that I could understand it influencing his willingness to talk about those topics.
Didn't really get any context around it aside from Brad's sentence or two on the ramblecast. Brad just said he was forbade to talk about it as to not be a downer. That would be understandable if that was the case about Will. I've just always appreciated the greater GB community for being able to speak about whatever on their podcasts and not being super, buttoned-up "this is on-topic only", etc

big_z

Nov 2, 2017

What's been going on with wills health?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I think it's weird he is mentioned that in the first place. It's really none of our business.
But I haven't listened to the tech pod in ages so maybe they openly talked about it.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
while we're talking techpod I have to say I always enjoy the cold open podcasts. i find them refreshing

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
I don't follow Nextlander that closely but I just read a Discord announcement that they won't be able to posts their lists because their meetings ran long. I find it pretty funny that after all the complaining about the countless meetings they had to endure at CBS they are now in their own private business falling prey to the same sort of meetings.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I don't follow Nextlander that closely but I just read a Discord announcement that they won't be able to posts their lists because their meetings ran long. I find it pretty funny that after all the complaining about the countless meetings they had to endure at CBS they are now in their own private business falling prey to the same sort of meetings.
Heh, yeah - but a business doesn't run on it's own. IIRC they mentioned this particular one is a business meeting - guess that's really something you have to take your time since it's their new company, finances etc.

timeforsana

Oct 26, 2017
It was meetings about what they're going to be doing this year for Nextlander, merch etc.

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
The podcast chapters make the Best Story discussion so convenient.

Wanted to chime in and agree here. As soon as they started discussing something I didn't want spoiled yet I was prepared to skip ahead an indeterminant amount of minutes only to realize I could just skip that section of the discussion without guessing.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
I was actually a little disappointed with how non-spoilery their story discussion was. They seemed to actively not want to get into any of the details and GOTY is the one time of the year where I look forward to a complete spoiler discussion.

1 gift from Fox318

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from Fox318 Fox318!

This is a day raffle that will expire in 24 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: Torchlight II - Won by TrojanAg TrojanAg (4 entries)

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I've never played a Psychonauts, but I'm always fascinated with the contrast between the people who love it like Vinny, and the people who say it's a platformer where the platforming is genuinely bad and don't want it even in a top 20.

alternate

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Nothing wrong with meetings. Only pointless time wasting meetings that sap your will to live.

Oh weird. I guess that's where everyone would go anyway, but I assumed they'd try to put together something simple (maybe if they get a Square Space sponsorship lol) to just host things like their lists or link to archived videos.

They might need one eventually, if they ever do merch, but atm patreon hosts everything except stream archives and youtube handles that.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing wrong with meetings. Only pointless time wasting meetings that sap your will to live.

They might need one eventually, if they ever do merch, but atm patreon hosts everything except stream archives and youtube handles that.
Patreon is a very basic blog thing though. I think you can only search for posts by tag? In a few years, it'll be hard to find anything they post unless they only intend to use it to host their GOTY lists and nothing else.
(I'm not a subscriber so I don't know how they've tagged their posts or if they're like some creators who basically update it every day and have hundreds/thousands of posts).

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played a Psychonauts, but I'm always fascinated with the contrast between the people who love it like Vinny, and the people who say it's a platformer where the platforming is genuinely bad and don't want it even in a top 20.
I'm kind of in the middle. I honestly think the pure platforming mechanics are kind of weak. Movement feels okay, but not super dialed in. Ability switching feels poor. Combat isn't terribly tight.

The game makes up for it in other areas, I think it's great overall, but I'm not quite as effusive in my praise of Psychonauts as others seem to be. It's a solid 8

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
With their top tens up one thing has become abundantly clear to me:

They all have yet to play the critically acclaimed MMORPG FFXIV and its award-winning expansion, Heavensward.

alternate

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Patreon is a very basic blog thing though. I think you can only search for posts by tag? In a few years, it'll be hard to find anything they post unless they only intend to use it to host their GOTY lists and nothing else.
(I'm not a subscriber so I don't know how they've tagged their posts or if they're like some creators who basically update it every day and have hundreds/thousands of posts).

If they last for multiple years, I am sure they will get a proper website 😀

Although going back and finding old articles on GB is a pain, so maybe not.

Ppl post everything on the reddit so i usually search on that.