• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched vs. Washington @ Tid the Season show @ riverworks and was just amazed at the speed of it. It was a playoff type game and it was beautiful. Just caught up on the game tonight and those were some sweet plays. Skinner better get paid this year :lol

They'll make it work I think...especially if they dump Okposo.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
Opens up website at work.

aw2Rzti.png
1248075250110.jpg

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017
Flyers announce that Hakstol is still their coach, shutting down speculation that Q was coming in.

Good news for us Pens fans :)

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
From The Athletic article on Marner:

"Usually when we have our team parties, him and Jake are typically the ones doing a dance-off," Matthews said of his good buddy Marner and Jake Gardiner. "Jake's more of a, I want to say a strip club kind of dancer — 'Magic Mike', kind of erotic — and Mitch is kinda more the Fortnite dances, today's kids' kind of dances. He's pretty good. I'll give him that. But I'm more of a fan of Jake's dances."

I want to see Gardiner's dancing now.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Just read the huge-ass article about Marner at the Athletic and while it strained pretty damn hard to pretend that a 4th overall draft pick was somehow proving people "wrong" because he was small in minor midget (still first round pick in the OHL draft though) it was mostly fun for seeing his dad is a classic overbearing sports parent and will 100% be sticking his dick in the contract negotiations with the Leafs.

He thinks Mitch, the second of his two sons, has been overlooked his entire hockey-playing life. Yes, Mitch liked to have fun around the rink, liked to laugh, even dance, but that didn't mean he wasn't driven to reach incredible heights or that he wasn't, in fact, a star already.

And it's about time the media in Toronto realized it.

"I'll just be honest with you," Mitch's dad said. "It drives our family nuts when we hear you guys all talk about who should be the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs and Mitch never hardly gets any consideration. It's because he's like this happy-go-lucky little kid. But he championed the London Knights to the Memorial Cup with that same happy (personality). I watched a guy like Doug Gilmour who had a lot of joy on and off the ice but was a real competitor.

"And that's Mitch.

"Mitch has (always) had the killer instinct when the puck drops, but I've also told (him) and his mom's told him, 'One of the things that make you who you are is the love you show of the game and never stop having fun playing the game. Because when you do, that's going to take away something that's made you who you are.'"

As Paul notes, Mitch was leading the Leafs in scoring before he injured his shoulder as a rookie in spite of ice-time the family considered, well, a little underwhelming.

giphy.gif

Hey Paul, there is NO WAY that punk Matthews should get ONE THIN DIME more than Mitch! Not one dime!

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit our yahoo pool is still alive?? I thought creeper had basically killed it when he didn't like the set up and did a unilateral mutiny

I wonder how many are still active

Edit--lolz

Weber on IR
Forsberg active
Dahlbeck (??) active
Goalies: Crawford (!), Dell

Last edited:

Silex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit our yahoo pool is still alive?? I thought creeper had basically killed it when he didn't like the set up and did a unilateral mutiny

I wonder how many are still active
I mean, because you can only set your roster week to week, you don't need to be active to be "active". You can set your lineup for the year and sit back and only check in if your plague with injuries.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, because you can only set your roster week to week, you don't need to be active to be "active". You can set your lineup for the year and sit back and only check in if your plague with injuries.
Yeah but as evidenced by my roster if you're not paying attention on at least a semi-regular basis you:

- have players on IR
- have players that have catered, yet still active
- have players that aren't even active in the NHL
- miss opportunities to get risers/sleepers

Anyway I'll pay attention now since it seems like there are a handful still paying attention. We can all feast on guys like Manics

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
So the Canucks are interested in Burakovsky because Jim Benning loves collecting middle six wingers and Baertschi, Goldobin, Roussel, Motte, Leivo, Eriksson, and Virtanen aren't enough for him.

They are also apparently looking at offers for Hutton. Because having only one non-old, non-injury prone, non-shit defenceman is one too many for Benning.

Baertschi is 26 and has bad luck with injuries. He's pretty much at his potential.
Roussel is 29 and he's not a top-line guy.
Motte is 23 but he's not going to be anything more than a 4th liner.
Leivo is 25 and not going to be a top-line guy.
Eriksson is a sunk cost.
Virtanen and Goldobin have potential but I don't think their ceilings are much higher than their current play..

Burakovsky is 23 and has had injury problems but could grow into a top 6 winger. The Caps also aren't looking for picks or prospects in return so Benning can deal an older roster player without hurting their rebuild.

As for trading Hutton, I don't see why not. If Edler re-signs and Juolevi and Hughes make the team next year, the left side will look pretty crowded. He's in a contract year but still an RFA so he wouldn't break the bank.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just read the huge-ass article about Marner at the Athletic and while it strained pretty damn hard to pretend that a 4th overall draft pick was somehow proving people "wrong" because he was small in minor midget (still first round pick in the OHL draft though) it was mostly fun for seeing his dad is a classic overbearing sports parent and will 100% be sticking his dick in the contract negotiations with the Leafs.

giphy.gif

Hey Paul, there is NO WAY that punk Matthews should get ONE THIN DIME more than Mitch! Not one dime!

Sadly, he was on Leafs Lunch and backtracked to a degree.

Ondor

Oct 25, 2017
Baertschi is 26 and has bad luck with injuries. He's pretty much at his potential.
Roussel is 29 and he's not a top-line guy.
Motte is 23 but he's not going to be anything more than a 4th liner.
Leivo is 25 and not going to be a top-line guy.
Eriksson is a sunk cost.
Virtanen and Goldobin have potential but I don't think their ceilings are much higher than their current play..

Burakovsky is 23 and has had injury problems but could grow into a top 6 winger. The Caps also aren't looking for picks or prospects in return so Benning can deal an older roster player without hurting their rebuild.

As for trading Hutton, I don't see why not. If Edler re-signs and Juolevi and Hughes make the team next year, the left side will look pretty crowded. He's in a contract year but still an RFA so he wouldn't break the bank.
That's assuming the Caps want an older roster player and not a younger one. Don't get me wrong, Burakovsky would be great on this team but the price has to be right and we have to figure out what to do with the rest of these players on the roster.

Hughes and Juolevi are both unproven at the NHL level. Hutton is playing monster minutes right now and it remains to be seen whether those two could do the same. Not to mention Edler isn't getting any younger and shouldn't be used as a top pairing guy much longer. By all means trade Hutton but I'd like to see at least one player make the jump before we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.