• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
Been a -very- casual NHL watcher the last few years. This year I watched a little bit more closely and decided I'd finally hitch my fandom wagon to the Pens since I'm a Steelers fan/grew up not too far from Pittsburgh.

To see the Pens pull off this super late miraculous run to have a slim chance only to lose to a Boston team clearly determined to beat them on Saturday, who'd then turn around and seemingly not play very hard against the Capitals to open the door for them, only for then the Capitals to win their last game to leap frog the Pens in a 1-1, 11th hour game that should have been 2-1 for the Flyers if the referees could actually pay attention to the puck AND the Flyers subsequently lose on a long telegraphed open goal net is a seriously depressing feeling.

Goddamn man. Just crushing. All the Pens had to do was win one more damn game and it wouldn't have come down to a bunch of conditionals like this, but fuck man, the fact that they made it through all those conditionals only for it to be that what does them in at the end of the line? Brutal stuff.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We will see what happens with the draft lottery and the off-season, but there's no way next year's Habs team isn't better than this one. I think they will be in the hunt for a playoff spot. It's year 3 of the rebuild next year so that's about where they should be.

We will see what happens with the draft lottery and the off-season, but there's no way next year's Habs team isn't better than this one. I think they will be in the hunt for a playoff spot. It's year 3 of the rebuild next year so that's about where they should be.
Finishing outside the bottom ten would be my realistic goal for next season.

Despite the Canadiens finishing the season in roughly the same place as last year (depending on whether Arizona can grab a point tomorrow), I left it feeling pretty optimistic about where things are headed. We saw a lot of really good stuff from the young players on whom the success or failure of this rebuild hinges, and a few vets who looked washed showed some signs of life (in particular Armia, who started the season getting demoted to Laval and then staged a remarkable comeback).

And Slafkovsky earned himself $250,000 in performance bonuses for getting that twentieth goal.

Last edited:

hutton

Feb 20, 2018

Finishing outside the bottom ten would be my realistic goal for next season.

Despite the Canadiens finishing the season in roughly the same place as last year (depending on whether Arizona can grab a point tomorrow), I left it feeling pretty optimistic about where things are headed. We saw a lot of really good stuff from the young players on whom the success or failure of this rebuild hinges, and a few vets who looked washed showed some signs of life (in particular Armia, who started the season getting demoted to Laval and then staged a remarkable comeback).

And Slafkovsky earned himself $250,000 in performance bonuses for getting that twentieth goal.

I'm happy that the Canadiens are doing a full on rebuild instead of just being mediocre. That must've been a hard sell in a hockey crazed town like Montreal.

A question about Slafkovský. Is this year more about playing with Suzuki & Caufield or has he started to drive and create plays by himself more than that?

(I'm just curious and I'm not trying to put him down in any way).

Also congrats to the Caps and my condolences to the fans of the Penguins and Flyers and especially the Red Wings.

Oct 25, 2017
Wild end to a season has me ready for chaos of playoff hockey.

Been a -very- casual NHL watcher the last few years. This year I watched a little bit more closely and decided I'd finally hitch my fandom wagon to the Pens since I'm a Steelers fan/grew up not too far from Pittsburgh.

To see the Pens pull off this super late miraculous run to have a slim chance only to lose to a Boston team clearly determined to beat them on Saturday, who'd then turn around and seemingly not play very hard against the Capitals to open the door for them, only for then the Capitals to win their last game to leap frog the Pens in a 1-1, 11th hour game that should have been 2-1 for the Flyers if the referees could actually pay attention to the puck AND the Flyers subsequently lose on a long telegraphed open goal net is a seriously depressing feeling.

Goddamn man. Just crushing. All the Pens had to do was win one more damn game and it wouldn't have come down to a bunch of conditionals like this, but fuck man, the fact that they made it through all those conditionals only for it to be that what does them in at the end of the line? Brutal stuff.

The Pens went on a miraculous post deadline run, but honestly did not deserve to be in the playoffs and if they did make it I'd be expecting first round bounce out. I'm kind of happy they didn't make it b/c then I'd be worried about chasing playoffs some more (so worried about a Detroit situation unfolding). I know fans seem to be mixed on Dubas given his commitment to Sullivan, but I think he's going to go on the right path with this team. What will be interesting is how they handle the goalie situation b/c it's just not good, and really hasn't been for a long time, so they need something.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A question about Slafkovský. Is this year more about playing with Suzuki & Caufield or has he started to drive and create plays by himself more than that?
Definitely not a passenger, and for various stretches during the season he drove that line. He's scored all types of goals, finesse, dirty areas, and generally has been a handful for opposing teams. I think he will be something to see in another 2 years when his body has reached its final state and he has complete control over it.

FWIW I see him being separated from Caufield next year. Habs need to develop a proper second line. I kinda see Slaf sticking with Suzuki and Caufield joining Dach (if he can stay healthy for more than 10 games at a time).

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
V4TUZQYAIBCD5HTKCLICYRE4CA.JPG

By Ken Sugiura

Whether it happens that the NHL sets up shop in Atlanta for a third time remains to be seen. But the league and the owners of its 32 franchises know beyond a doubt that interest is strong.

Two groups, one based in Forsyth County and another in Alpharetta, are known to have reached out to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman to express their desire for an expansion franchise in Atlanta (or its northern suburbs, to be more precise). But there's actually more that have had the league's ear, deputy commissioner Bill Daly told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

"When you talk about Atlanta, we've had multiple expressions of interest, and you're probably aware of some and not aware of others," Daly said in a phone interview.

He declined to offer more specifics on the number of additional parties or what their plans are. (If you're wondering, Falcons and Atlanta United owner Arthur Blank is not part of any NHL expansion group.)

"They were all good," Daly said. "We appreciated their interest. They were prepared; they seemed passionate about having NHL hockey. We were impressed by all of them."

The competition only confirms what the NHL recognizes – that while the possibility of the league awarding an expansion franchise to Atlanta for a third time may induce some eye rolling among NHL pooh-bahs, the metropolitan area is more than capable of fielding a viable operation.

No one would seek a franchise without confidence it can work, particularly given the cost involved. And there are at least three groups in metro Atlanta that believe strongly enough in the market that they're evidently willing to fork over perhaps a billion dollars to the NHL just to obtain a franchise. That's a language that any business can understand.

"I believe the NHL can be successful in Atlanta – or the Atlanta area," Daly said. "But, again, we're not at the point of saying we need to add franchises."

There are a number of steps that any group – whether it's the one led by car-dealership magnate Vernon Krause in Forsyth County, the one led by former NHL player Anson Carter with plans to build an arena near North Point Mall in Alpharetta or the mystery candidate(s) – will have to take before any pucks drop here.

First off, the NHL is not seeking to expand beyond its 32 teams and won't alter that stance at least until its situation with the Arizona Coyotes is fully resolved. (Lacking a suitable arena, the Coyotes reportedly are moving to Salt Lake City, although it's possible the NHL will award Coyotes owner Alex Meruelo another franchise in Phoenix if he can get a new arena built.)

And then even if the NHL does decide to expand – conditions appear conducive to it – there's no guarantee that league owners would choose Atlanta and any of its competing bids. Houston is among several cities that have expressed interest besides Atlanta, including Kansas City, Quebec City, Cincinnati and Omaha, Nebraska (along with Salt Lake City).

There is a lot to like about Atlanta, but the Houston bid arguably is stronger. First, potential owner Tilman Fertitta has the experience and a track record of operating a major-league franchise as the owner of the Rockets.

As the Flames and Thrashers both demonstrated in their time in Atlanta, a successful franchise needs more than a viable location, a sheet of ice and an owner with the means to purchase a team. While Daly said that Atlanta's two failed attempts won't disqualify any current bidders, surely the league will want to have every confidence that a third try would be in the right hands.

Franchise fees could be north of $1 billion. Then there's the hundreds of millions to build an arena. And then there's the tens of millions required annually to run it well. And then there's the necessary expertise and patience to make it work.

"Most importantly, ownership comes into play in making a determination as to whether a club has a chance to be successful over the long term," Daly said.

While it doesn't rule him out, Krause has never owned a professional sports team. The Alpharetta group includes Neil Leibman, who is a part owner of the Texas Rangers and the club's president of business operations and chief operating officer.

Another factor in Houston's favor is that it has an existing arena, not one that is being pitched. (While State Farm Arena, where the Thrashers played 1999-2011, could still be used for hockey, the option that the NHL would likely favor is a new arena in the northern suburbs, where studies have shown that a franchise would have a better chance of success.)

Renderings and assurances are nice, but it's not the same as an actual building. The Forsyth project, for instance, ran into a snag in March when county commissioners approved a contribution of $225 million through bond financing to a proposed 18,500-seat arena (contingent on the project landing an NHL team). It was 42% less than the $390 million that they had proposed in a non-binding deal in January. Krause said in a statement that he was "shocked and extremely disappointed" in the changes after months of negotiations and that his team would evaluate whether to proceed. (Talks between the county and Krause's negotiating team are continuing, a spokeswoman for Krause's development project told the AJC on Tuesday.)

And while many have assumed that the league would add two teams to maintain an even number of teams – an outcome that would increase Atlanta's chances – Daly said that "we're very clear" with interested groups that the NHL could add only one team if it chooses to expand.

"Certainly, it could be two, but it doesn't have to be two," he said.

Atlanta could well have a group that has all the qualifications but still get shut out. For instance, it's conceivable that, after the Coyotes move to Salt Lake City, the NHL could award new franchises to Houston and Phoenix if Meruelo were able to build an arena. And while that would add two teams in the West, the NHL could balance it by shifting Chicago and Nashville to the Eastern Conference.

Could the additions be Houston and Atlanta? Particularly if Meruelo can't get his new arena, it's entirely plausible.

And that's why Atlanta having even more interest than previously believed is potentially an advantage to its chances. With more groups, the better the chance that one of them has the right combination of money, savvy, vision and commitment to convince the NHL that Atlanta is worth the third attempt.

It would be quite the hat trick.
www.ajc.com

Interest in NHL expansion team in Atlanta stronger than you think

Whether it happens that the NHL sets up shop in Atlanta for a third time remains to be seen. But the league and the owners of its 32 franchises know beyond a doubt that interest is strong.

Oct 25, 2017
Alright

Leafs and Lightning can trade 1 Matthews goal for 1 Kucherov assist and then everyone can rest and not get hurt

lol it's a good thing this game means nothing in the standings.....

Last edited:

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Last edited:

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kucherov becomes the 5th player in history and 2nd this year to record 100 assists

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Feeling bad for Matthews, you can see how him not scoring is negatively affecting his team play, I bet he just wants to put it behind him completely. Regardless if he gets it or not.

CuriousTom92

Jul 1, 2022
Okay this is getting humiliating.
I feel like if they just had Matty (and others) rest and play with whatever team they can clobber up, things would have been better. It's also the opposite of a needed morale boost before the playoffs.

I hope this is not a reflection of how round 1 is gonna go, though who am I kidding. It's against the Bruins.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Last edited:

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
is there something specific in wanting 70? like breaking some record?

or just that it's a nice round number?

Because 69 is better obviously.

Only 3 other times has a player scored 69 goals. Lemieux twice (92-93; 95-96) and Bossy (78-79).

69 for Matthews is the most goals in a season since Lemieux's 69 in 95-96.

69 all night.

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017

Why? It's emotional people upset that they are losing their team. Obviously it's not Salt Lakes fault but you can't exactly prescribe what arena chants should be. I would bet every person chanting it is just releasing some frustration, anger truly resides towards the ownership group.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Coyotes help Habs lock up 5th position prior to the draft lottery, which happens either May 6 or 7.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Why? It's emotional people upset that they are losing their team. Obviously it's not Salt Lakes fault but you can't exactly prescribe what arena chants should be. I would bet every person chanting it is just releasing some frustration, anger truly resides towards the ownership group.
That is why, SLC isn't to blame, the owners are but anger was vented the wrong way.

Thrashers saga